Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 01-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #1481
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default SCOTUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi are up for a 5th District Federal appeals court hearing tomorrow, whlie the SCOTUS will decide tomorrow if they will take up the case of marriage equaility within the current term.

The decision for the 5th District could take months to determine, while we could know as early as tomorrow, ( but more likely on Monday) if the SCOTUS will hear the cases.
As expected, the SCOTUS did not indicate any of their cases for further hearing yesterday, so Monday will be the earliest possible notice. Should there be no decision Monday, the Judges will review additional cases next Friday.

Pins and needles folks, pins and needles!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #1482
EnchantedNightDweller

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she
Relationship Status:
Being single is a good thing and I like it.

Thanked 2,462 Times in 803 Posts
EnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
OMG I thought I would NEVER Live long enough to EVER see this happen in this southern redneck state in my lifetime. I cannot wait for the change to happen and I'm gonna have a sign up on my wall showing a Texas symbol with an Equal sign right smack dab in the middle of it. (not that I'm getting married mind you, but anything could happen while I'm still alive )
I was so busy I totally missed this! Thanks for sharing ya'll! I will be watching the news more closely this week!
EnchantedNightDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnchantedNightDweller For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #1483
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
As expected, the SCOTUS did not indicate any of their cases for further hearing yesterday, so Monday will be the earliest possible notice. Should there be no decision Monday, the Judges will review additional cases next Friday.

Pins and needles folks, pins and needles!
Thanks for the continued updating.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2015, 02:36 AM   #1484
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Ireland

The Irish Government is putting the issue of same-sex marriage on the ballot for vote this coming May. According to recent polls, nearly 70% of citizens approve of marriage equality.

Canada, England and Scotland currently have marriage equality, while some of the other commonwealth countries like Ireland and Austraila do not.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #1485
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default SCOTUS news

The Supreme Court justices refused to hear the Louisiana case, and set the cases for Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tenessee to be reviewed this next Friday the 16th.

The Plantiffs in the Louisiana case had asked the SCOTUS to hear the case before the appeals court for that district had a chance to rule; if you remember, that case was heard by the appeals court this past Friday along with those of Texas and Mississippi.

The SCOTUS has declined to interfer in the Louisiana case while it is still under review by the lower appeals court. The remainder of the cases being reviewed have already been heard under appeal, and have had thier bans upheld by the appeals court for the 6th district.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #1486
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default South Dakota

South Dakota's same-sex marriage ban was struck down today by the lower Federal Court, but the decision was immediately stayed until all appeals by the State have been considered.

Let's hope the State does the right thing and does not appeal.

Pffffft, right!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #1487
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,524 Times in 1,697 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The Supreme Court justices refused to hear the Louisiana case, and set the cases for Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tenessee to be reviewed this next Friday the 16th.

The Plantiffs in the Louisiana case had asked the SCOTUS to hear the case before the appeals court for that district had a chance to rule; if you remember, that case was heard by the appeals court this past Friday along with those of Texas and Mississippi.

The SCOTUS has declined to interfer in the Louisiana case while it is still under review by the lower appeals court. The remainder of the cases being reviewed have already been heard under appeal, and have had thier bans upheld by the appeals court for the 6th district.
Oh Nooooooo!!!!

Happiness is like a butterfly which,
when pursued, is always beyond our grasp,
but, if you will sit down quietly,
may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #1488
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,871 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

In my opinion, I highly doubt Texas will allow same sex marriage, I live here and have lived here for years, I have seen how much society and Texas government are anti GLBT.

But I do hope something does happen and soon.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #1489
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canela View Post
Oh Nooooooo!!!!
The throw back without review for Louisiana was expected (at least by me), because the plantiffs tried to bypass the correct steps and go directly to the supreme court.

The review scheduled for this Friday is the important next step, as it could go two ways.

1. Since the bans for Michigan, Ohio, Kentucy and Tennesse were kept in place by the lower courts, and 36 other states HAVE marriage equality, the Justices can decide to hear the cases and possibly rule in the favor of equality.

OR......

2. The Justices can decide that the bans will stay in place for those 4 states, causing mass confusion to ensue.

The cases from last Friday at the Appeals court level (Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas) have been heard and will be ruled on any time in the next few months.

This issue is going to drag on a bit, but will hopefully be somewhat resolved before the end of

the current SCOTUS term which ends in June.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 12:52 AM   #1490
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,161 Times in 5,131 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The Irish Government is putting the issue of same-sex marriage on the ballot for vote this coming May. According to recent polls, nearly 70% of citizens approve of marriage equality.

Canada, England and Scotland currently have marriage equality, while some of the other commonwealth countries like Ireland and Austraila do not.
Just to clarify, the vote in May is in the independent Republic of Ireland.

In Northern Ireland, a country inside the United Kingdom, there is a ban on same sex marriage. However, the U.K. recognizes same sex marriage. A same sex couple who were married in England but have since relocated to Northern Ireland is expected to file a challenge to the ban in the high court this week.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #1491
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
Just to clarify, the vote in May is in the independent Republic of Ireland.

In Northern Ireland, a country inside the United Kingdom, there is a ban on same sex marriage. However, the U.K. recognizes same sex marriage. A same sex couple who were married in England but have since relocated to Northern Ireland is expected to file a challenge to the ban in the high court this week.
The UK marriage act of 2013 covered ONLY England and Wales, with Scotland having marriage equality on 1/1/15.

Canada already has marriage equality, while Austrailia and Ireland do not. I should have been more specific when speaking about Ireland, as you are correct about the "Republic of Ireland" being the country voting this May.

Thank you for the clarification.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #1492
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Good news!

The SCOTUS will hear the cases for same-sex marriage in April, and will decide by the end of their term in June!

I'm on my phone, so more later.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #1493
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default SCOTUS

Quote:
Good news!

The SCOTUS will hear the cases for same-sex marriage in April, and will decide by the end of their term in June!

I'm on my phone, so more later.
The Justices said they will answer two questions:

1. Do all States have to allow same -sex marriage based on the US Constitution.

2. Do all States have to honor marriages performed in other States and Countries.

Question 1 has come before the court before, and same-sex marriages were not guaranteed by the US Constitution...but we are in a different time, and 36 States now have equality. It is not a slam dunk folks, but i do have hope that the question will be decided in the favor of equality.

I know that the fight to deny all other rights to us will ramp up, every day i read about states trying to write descrimination into law, and it saddens me that the SCOTUS will probably have to decide that question at some other time.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #1494
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

I rather suspect that the Supreme Court will rule that states have to honor same-sex marriages performed in other states. Otherwise, they are affirming that the Legislature has authority to simply pass a bill, and negate portions of the Constitution. That, basically, is what DOMA did in its Section 3 ( I think that I am naming the correct section, but could be wrong.). Basically, DOMA attempted to negate part of the 14th Amendment, which guaranteed equal protection, if I am not mistaken.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #1495
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
I rather suspect that the Supreme Court will rule that states have to honor same-sex marriages performed in other states. Otherwise, they are affirming that the Legislature has authority to simply pass a bill, and negate portions of the Constitution. That, basically, is what DOMA did in its Section 3 ( I think that I am naming the correct section, but could be wrong.). Basically, DOMA attempted to negate part of the 14th Amendment, which guaranteed equal protection, if I am not mistaken.
Good point Nadeest!
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #1496
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default UK same-sex Pagan Wedding

The UK's first same-sex Pagan wedding took place last Sunday in Scotland! The couple has been together for 12 years, and are Hedge Witches.

The Pagan Federation in Scotland has been able to legally marry hetro-sexual couples since 2005, and with new laws for same-sex marriage taking place on 1/1/15, have the right to marry all loving couples.

Wtg Scotland!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #1497
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Alabama

The ban on same-sex marriage was overturned by a Federal judge today in Alabama, with the decision not immediately stayed. The AG said the request for a stay will be filed ASAP.

Yayyyyyyy Alabama!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #1498
girlin2une

How Do You Identify?:
submissive queer stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

Thanked 3,845 Times in 856 Posts
girlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

http://usat.ly/1uz48nV
girlin2une is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girlin2une For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #1499
Shystonefem

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Shy for President

Thanked 3,678 Times in 898 Posts
Shystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST Reputation

Not that I am even thinking of marriage but I am a bit nervous about the SCOTUS decision. I hope they don't rule that we are, somehow, second class citizens.
Shystonefem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shystonefem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #1500
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlin2une View Post
What a lovely story!