Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Communication, Friendship, Getting To Know One Another

Old 09-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

We like the idea of this being an ongoing thread and we are looking forward to reading as well as sharing experiences.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
Metro

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,916 Times in 733 Posts
Metro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST Reputation

Agree with earlier posters that any type of volunteerism can be beneficial (and am also a devotee of the "stealth" style). Still, what also comes to mind is that such 'micro-volunteering' is not always what organizations need nor necessarily can even accommodate.

Example: Immediately prior to and on Thanksgiving Day the Chicago Food Depository is swamped with calls from would-be volunteers that just want to help on that particular day. In recent years, via news outlets, this organization has let it be known that the need for their services (addressing hunger via donations of food, working at soup kitchens, or monetary donations) is ongoing and daily throughout the year. Prior to the holiday the CFD has already organized and implemented services for Thanksgiving Day and ask these last-minute callers to consider an ongoing commitment (at whatever level) because that assists the organization in determining how far their resources will reach on an annual basis.

Personally I find ongoing charitable obligations most fulfilling (for any variety of reasons) yet also applaud those who carve out any amount of time from their own life to help someone in need (be it a stranger or family member).
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metro For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #23
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,391 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

Sheesh! Took me forever to find this thread again!

So, back with my late-late-breaking report on last Friday. Firstly I wanted to mention that I agree acts of kindness and compassion should not be limited to one specific day. I didn't take that as the O.P.'s intent but rather a gentle nudge for some of us that may have gotten complacent/busy/etc. and had let that particular aspect of ourselves slide. I also agree with the post above that sustainable giving is the ideal as far as planning and continuity for an organization. I think this is why I took this challenge more as an opportunity to do a little random kindness and not a big time commitment. More an easing of the drudgery that can sometimes be life, not a "save the world" moment. I also had a good long look at what I currently do to "give back." Currently the kiddo and I volunteer at a no-kill shelter, during the summer a once a week shift at the local "meals on main street" to feed any in need, I am heavily involved in Girl Scouts and also the craft parent for her homeroom at school. These are all on-going commitments and don't count the hours logged in and checks sent to other groups in need of this or that. I'm not trying to toot my horn here, I am well aware many give back on levels that put mine to shame. I'm sharing this because I hope when I share the following it won't seem so self-indulgent.

Last Friday I called a local elder home and spoke to the manager. This particular home always seemed a bit dreary as I passed it. After a bit of discussion we agreed that when the time is right this fall (gotta' love the Southern heat) I would plant 400 tulip bulbs in the center's walking area for the residents to enjoy. I liked this because it also spoke of the "senseless acts of beauty......"

The "big" kindness for last Friday was this....I cut myself a break. So often I find I run and run and run and in the midst of juggling a full time career, single mom, and all the above plus general life maintenance tasks I can get overwhelmed and burned out. I took the day off work. I read a poetry book in peace and quiet, fiddled with art supplies, ate healthy and not junk and just.... gave.myself.a.break. I think having a kind and generous spirit needs to start with being kind and generous to oneself. Like begets like and if we can't be kind to ourselves and nurture ourselves then we don't have much hope of doing that for others without some burnout.

Pax,

Katniss~~
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #24
Daktari

I aim to live and be compassionate each day. The crux of the matter for me is humility and not feeling the need to tell anyone about such things.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #25
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,391 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
I aim to live and be compassionate each day. The crux of the matter for me is humility and not feeling the need to tell anyone about such things.
I think that is what as human beings we should all aspire too. The monks used to teach us (I attended instruction at a local religious monestary and was far from the *star* pupil...LoL!) that compassion should flow in and out with each breath. All that we do should flow from a spirit of gentleness and compassion for one another. I try, and often fail miserably, especially in Atlanta traffic....
But this actually hits on another worthwhile point, sometimes the kindest thing we can do is to *not* do something. Not spread gossip, not get angry when a driver cuts us off in traffic, or someone is hurtful or mean. Not roll our eyes at the person in front of us with waaay more than 10 items in a checkout lane of "10 or less." Maybe they are sad, distracted, what have you and for that day it is the best they can do. Maybe by being kind to them when they least deserve it (in our judgemental human eyes) will turn their day around. Then they in turn might pass that positive energy forward....the ripple effect. One thing I have learned is the only difference between the giver and the receiver is the turn of the wrist.

As to acts of kindness in secret, I posted a few threads up that those are my favorite kind and my most heartfelt acts I would never share, here or elsewhere. But I do like this thread, it sends out positive vibes and also gives me some ideas of other things I and my child can do. It also serves as a reminder that people out there I don't know, and have never met, are going about their busy, hectic lives and finding ways, big and small, to make a positive difference. Which in my book is indeed a cosmic hallelujah......

Katniss~~
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post: