Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Communication, Friendship, Getting To Know One Another

Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Derails?

After reading a few threads, I noticed that sometimes they get derailed in a huge way. I mean, I do expect that threads will have derails and their own twists and turns but it did make me wonder if either the OP (Original Poster aka person who created the thread) or participants get annoyed about this.

I'll admit to doing derails at times and I like the organic nature of threads but there are times when I get frustrated that a thread won't continue down the original topic rather than being a whole new discussion.

Anyways, I was curious what others thought about this.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
After reading a few threads, I noticed that sometimes they get derailed in a huge way. I mean, I do expect that threads will have derails and their own twists and turns but it did make me wonder if either the OP (Original Poster aka person who created the thread) or participants get annoyed about this.

I'll admit to doing derails at times and I like the organic nature of threads but there are times when I get frustrated that a thread won't continue down the original topic rather than being a whole new discussion.

Anyways, I was curious what others thought about this.
It drives me nuts, when the original topic gets lost in tangents.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

For me there a couple different kinds of derails..

The first is a natural progression of questions or comments... The thread takes on it's own life....

The second is when a group of people come in to play...

The first, for me is organic and I just go with the flow (most of the time, I've found you can't make people talk about what YOU want to talk about if they are on another track)

The second one kinda pisses me off... Yes, I get that sometimes people are trying to lighten the thread (I've even done it myself) but when it goes on for several pages and the org topic is gone and it's turned into a wit and banter thread.. well it's frustrating and I just leave..
Old 05-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I find derails to be frustrating when the thread gets long fast, and I have something to say about the OP but when I respond there are fifty posts in between. I want to address pizza toppings and now people are posting about shark attacks.

I guess I have to be faster. I also have to be careful about me derailing a thread because it is SO easy when responding post by post. Not intentionally but it is the ebb and flow. I usually try to reel myself back in.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation
Default birds of a feather

I confess to being one of those frustrating derailers (or, in bicycling terms, derailleurs - oooh French, shiny!).

I don't intend on doing it. Mostly. Sometimes. It's just the way my brain sometimes works - with the ebb and flow of dialogue a word might spontaneously ignite some thought and I'm off like honeymoon pajamas.

I don't necessarily feel good about myself for doing it. But, I don't much cotton to regret either.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
For me there a couple different kinds of derails..

The first is a natural progression of questions or comments... The thread takes on it's own life....

The second is when a group of people come in to play...

The first, for me is organic and I just go with the flow (most of the time, I've found you can't make people talk about what YOU want to talk about if they are on another track)

The second one kinda pisses me off... Yes, I get that sometimes people are trying to lighten the thread (I've even done it myself) but when it goes on for several pages and the org topic is gone and it's turned into a wit and banter thread.. well it's frustrating and I just leave..

Right there with ya. I can't stand it when the original thread turns in to an infighting match either. Drives me nuts.
I have bantered with others in a thread to lighten it up, but then got back on track myself. It can be frustrating to find a really good thread get totally lost and derailed and it stop. I hate that.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

Pictures of dogs having sex with ducks kinda derails make me itchy... Other than that, I can push it to the side and move forward.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I like derails.

Sometimes the most interesting info is found in the off-topic tangents.

I always wonder why people get so upset. What's stopping them from going in and posting something about the original topic?
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I don't really mind the derails, unless they are mean or someone comes in and just vomits their own unrelated issues on a positive thread which then makes it uncomfortable for anyone else to post.

Oh yeah, andddddd I especially hate it when someone comes in and starts correcting grammar and spelling and they say stuff like they can't concentrate because someone spelled "a lot" "alot". It makes me wonder if maybe being a good speller is all they have going on in their lives.

Something recently I have noticed is people questioning or ridiculing original posters for starting treads at all. Maybe it has always gone on? If someone starts a thread, then they probably are looking for some sort of answer.

Some of the funniest threads ever have been derails.

I love you guys man!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

The most annoying derails, to me, are when two (or more) posters use a thread for their own personal conversation. I have no problem if the conversation is on topic...but when its stuff that has nothing at all to do with the thread...it irks me.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
The most annoying derails, to me, are when two (or more) posters use a thread for their own personal conversation. I have no problem if the conversation is on topic...but when its stuff that has nothing at all to do with the thread...it irks me.

But see, I can just ignore that shit, gloss right on over, so it doesn't chap my hide too damn much.

Also, pretty sure I'm guilty here, too.

Whoops!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

mostly i ignore a derail unless it's hateful and ignorant, however on topic--to me, that's the worst kind of derail.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
sharkchomp

How Do You Identify?:
TG/stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,341 Times in 309 Posts
sharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputation

I was going to post in your thread about trans and labels but after reading it, there appeared to be 3 or 4 different topics/discussions going on and they were touching on heated topics I've had with people before so I just left. Sometimes it's just not worth getting involved.

~~~shark~~~~~~~~

take a fish boating
sharkchomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharkchomp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
But see, I can just ignore that shit, gloss right on over, so it doesn't chap my hide too damn much.

Also, pretty sure I'm guilty here, too.

Whoops!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
mostly i ignore a derail unless it's hateful and ignorant, however on topic--to me, that's the worst kind of derail.
Hey friends!
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #15
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzeeTiger View Post
Hey friends!
Brotherman!

It seems like forever since we've been on at the same time.

Fantastic to see you!

- H. L. Mencken
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
Brotherman!

It seems like forever since we've been on at the same time.

Fantastic to see you!
I know, right?
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #17
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation
Default This will come as no surprise to many...

I think it's fucking annoying.

There are lots of threads for fun and fluff, and lots of threads for chitchatting with friends, keep it out of a serious thread.

Serious conversations do not require a commercial break.
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #18
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Default performing a service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post

Uh, yeah they do.

When else do you take a piss or get a snack?

- H. L. Mencken
Old 05-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a derailer by nature, unfortunately. Part of it is the Gemini charm (I hope!) and part of it is that I have the attention span of a gnat (I can still probably blame that on the Gemini thing too, huh?).

I'm one of those people who, if you interrupt me while I'm speaking (whether it's relevant or not), 9 times out of 10, I'm going to forget where I was headed before the interruption. So, I practice a lot of verbal diarrhea.

Most of the time, I make a solid effort to stay on track or, if I see that I'm part of a major derailment that is not helping the thread at all, I'll take it private.

I am more aware of whether I'm on or off track in the serious threads, but the fluffy stuff has more twists and turns than the streets in San Francisco, so I feel less 'bad' about derailing the fun threads but I don't actively seek to derail any of them.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
I think it's fucking annoying.

There are lots of threads for fun and fluff, and lots of threads for chitchatting with friends, keep it out of a serious thread.

I see where you are coming from in wanting to stay on topic but it feels almost as if those who use humor to cope with issues in their lives shouldn't post in a serious thread then. Because we are going to crack a joke or throw a zinger in there to let some of the tension out of the 'room'.

I do stay out of a lot of serious threads and/or just post once and unsubscribe afterward because I know my way of talking and doing things isn't always welcome. But for those that touch on a nerve for me, I'll brave the criticism if I do see fit to make a joke or try to lighten things up if they feel heavy and suffocating to me.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: