Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Communication, Friendship, Getting To Know One Another

Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation
Default Do a Day of Compassion with me!

On Friday September 6th I am participating in a 24 hour day of compassion exercise as part of my Social Psychology class. The assignment is to do acts of compassion during this 24 hours period and then write an essay about what we did, what the effects and amplifications were, etc.

Today, I challenge you to join me and do 24 hours as a consciously compassionate person on Sept. 6,...that is THIS Friday!

We are in a time in this world right now, where it would pay well to amplify compassion. I figure what better way to amplify this than by bringing it to my community. Oh, and you don't even have to write an essay, but you do get to experience the feel good out of it.

So, do what you have the heart, the means, and the time to do. It can be giving to your favorite charity, visiting someone who is in a nursing home and has no one to visit them, donate to Kiva, read a book to someone who cannot read for themselves, volunteer at a shelter, go visit a sick child or sign up to be a big sister/big brother for children, donate clothes/household items, buy someone lunch or share some of your time over a cup of coffee...be creative and see what you come up with.
Post here share your intentions if you like, and tell us about your day and how it affected you, after the 24 hour period has expired. That's all there is to it. So are you game?
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Thanked 1,401 Times in 296 Posts
sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm in! I teach Grade One in a school that has boarders. Right now, there is a lot of separation anxiety followed with a lot of tears. Each day I spend time comforting children. My plan is to join this group of children at lunch time in the cafeteria and spend time with them. The housekeeping staff here is overworked and underpaid - I plan to bring a special snack for them to enjoy; I also plan to talk to my students about how we can be helpers by cleaning up our messes! I'm sure I will think of other things to do between now and Friday! Thanks for sharing this concept!

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

This sounds like a wonderful gift of compassion, Deb! By giving, you will also be teaching the gift, as I am sure you well know.

Thank you for joining me in this experience.

Jesse

P.S. I am still working on mine, but will post soon.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

A day of compassion ... I'm in.

Gives me time to decide what to do. Will include Reiki also. Thinking the staff at local hospital might be receptive. Will check back with you later.

Thank you Jesse.
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,391 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

Ahhh Jesse, you had me at;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Oh, and you don't even have to write an essay. So are you game?
I'm in! However I am going to mull over a bit what I intend to do. I have a wee kernel of an idea and will post on Friday the result.

Thanks for starting this thread and hope it gains some momentum. One thing I have noticed about our community here is it already seems to be inhabited by a bunch of caring, involved and "change the world for the better" kind of folks!

Katniss~~I have always loved kindness as an act of subterfuge!
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Bliss and Katniss, thank you both for joining me. I look forward to hearing of your experiences.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I have chosen several things to do for my day of conscious compassion. I haven't worked them all out just yet, but here are some of my ideas.

Make a Kiva donation.

Volunteer a couple of hours at the Co-op.

Spend some time with an elderly lady I know who has no family here, maybe bring her some lunch or dinner.

Random acts of kindness as the opportunity arises throughout the day.

And basically be consciously kind throughout the day.

I'm thinking I will do well to get this much done, as I have classes and a training event that day as well.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,391 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katniss View Post

Katniss~~I have always loved kindness as an act of subterfuge!
I'm quoting myself here not because of egoism (cough, cough) but because I think one or two folks might have misconstrued what I wrote. I was in no way implying that Jesse had any ulterior motives for starting this thread or that I thought roping more of us in was going to help elevate the grade in the Social Psych. class. What I meant by "subterfuge" was a distant memory of my religious up-bringing where "acts of kindness done in secret" trumped acts of kindness done out in the open where all could see and admire you. I think all acts of kindness and compassion are needed and valuable. I suppose I just get particularly jazzed about the random stealth ones done by strangers.

Katniss~~
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
agape

How Do You Identify?:
queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
don't care

agape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputationagape Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
On Friday September 6th I am participating in a 24 hour day of compassion exercise as part of my Social Psychology class. The assignment is to do acts of compassion during this 24 hours period and then write an essay about what we did, what the effects and amplifications were, etc.

Today, I challenge you to join me and do 24 hours as a consciously compassionate person on Sept. 6,...that is THIS Friday!

We are in a time in this world right now, where it would pay well to amplify compassion. I figure what better way to amplify this than by bringing it to my community. Oh, and you don't even have to write an essay, but you do get to experience the feel good out of it.

So, do what you have the heart, the means, and the time to do. It can be giving to your favorite charity, visiting someone who is in a nursing home and has no one to visit them, donate to Kiva, read a book to someone who cannot read for themselves, volunteer at a shelter, go visit a sick child or sign up to be a big sister/big brother for children, donate clothes/household items, buy someone lunch or share some of your time over a cup of coffee...be creative and see what you come up with.
Post here share your intentions if you like, and tell us about your day and how it affected you, after the 24 hour period has expired. That's all there is to it. So are you game?
Awesome! :-D

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."
Martin Luther King, Jr.
agape is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to agape For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My Friday has started. I woke up thinking about all the compassion that has been expressed to me over the past year and a half. This has been a time of immense sorrow, yet, a time of great personal growth. A time of feeling like my whole world was swallowed up by a huge hole, yet, each day I was gifted with joy. Joy came in the compassionate words - kind, encouraging, complimentary, guiding - shared with me from the hearts of other. I live in gratitude of this journey for my life has been blessed. Today, I hope to be a blessing in the lives of others.

I have already held a six year old and re-read "The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn. She is now sitting at her desk stroking her face with the kiss I placed on the back of her hand.

It truly is the little things that can make a difference.

I live in gratitude that I was able to touch her heart.

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Member Photo Albums

My day continued blessing me. The school I work for has really committed, hardworking, poorly paid housekeeping staff. We have two housekeepers in Grade One which is comprised of 275 children and at least 25 adults. The students are from wealthy homes and generally do not have to do any type of cleaning up or tidying.

I like a clean work space and appreciate all that the housekeeping staff does towards supporting my efforts at keeping the room clean. I believe, educate and promote the concept that the housekeeper is an important member of the team as she provides a physical environment conducive to learning.

Today, the housekeeper came in during class time to empty the trash cans. I immediately switched from the lesson to talk about the importance of keeping the room clean so we could support the important work done by our housekeepers. We talked about ways we could help out by picking up every little speck of paper, wiping down the tables, etc. The students also talked about how much they liked working in a clean space because then they can find all the things they need for projects, etc. I encouraged the children to share a compliment with the housekeeper. Several students expressed their thanks but one student in particular said that when something is messy he really had a difficult concentrating. He really likes coming into our classroom because everything was always where it belonged and he felt comfortable.

I had a small gift of tea, biscuits and a pashmina scarf for the housekeeper (my 'planned' gift of compassion) which I had a child give to the housekeeper. The children clapped, the housekeeper beamed, my teaching partner and myself grinned at each other over the teachable moment. The housekeeper said to my teaching partner later in the day that she didn't think she would be able to sleep tonight because she has never been recognized for the job she does. And, she had never thought about my concept of her being part of the team that is providing an environment conducive to learning. She said she felt proud that her work actually does make a difference in the environment of learning children.

Yup, my day continues to bless me.

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Deb,

What a wonderful thing you are doing by being so committed to both showing and teaching kindness. I am honored to have you join this adventure with me today, you are a blessing to others. Thank you so very much.

Jesse
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

To begin my day of compassion I got started much earlier than normal and drove to Inverness, a town about 2 hours from mine. I wanted to surprise my friend, Nancy, who lives in a senior assisted living facility and has no family in the state. Nancy is 80 years of age and a joy to be around, and I try to help her out whenever possible. I make the drive there, and knock on her door at 10:30 am. The smile on her face was so big when she realized it was me and that I had brought Sadie, my service dog with me. Nancy knew, and loved my other service dog that passed away, but she had never met my Sadie girl. The two of them hit it off right away and Nancy was like a kid with a puppy. We visited for a while and got caught up on who has moved in, or out, and why, even though it has only been 3 days since we spoke on the phone. lol Then we had a peaceful lunch down by the lake on the facility property. It was a great way to start my day and I think Nancy will smile non-stop for a few days.

Once home and cooled off a bit, I brought a gift of candles to one of my neighbors and then sat on her shaded porch with her, while a wonderful overhead fan whirled above us. We had a nice visit for about an hour. I feel that we both benefited from this visit with each one learning more about the other and discovering things we share in common, like our love of growing plants and a shared fondness for one of the local parks.

That's my day so far. I chose to make both of these visits be gifts of time, sharing, and laughter because I feel it is an intimate gift and one that holds lasting value.

More to come later...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

Our pay it forward day of compassion moment came as we left the grocers and walking down the street were two men and a dog, my sweetie pulled a twenty out and handed it to them, they will eat today, their dog will eat today...there was excitement in both of their eyes.

I love pay it forward moments in life.

Both NorCal and I are already compassionate people so this thread is very exciting...

I typically play a pay it forward game with my friends on Facebook it's all about the random acts of kindness in life.

thanks Jesse.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

I failed to meet my commitment.
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Unfortunetly I did not find this thread untill today.
I am sure it will be ok to continue it as time goes on any said day..correct?
Unless it was a thread for just the 6th.
If so I would like to pick a day and truely to this adventure.

I am all about paying it forward.

Let me know please

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #17
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,769 Times in 983 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

Compassion is not just a one day thing and it definitely does not need to be done to impress society etc. Compassion should come from the heart without selfish reasons IMHO.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Lady Pamela,

Thank you, for saying it for me. I was actually going to suggest continuing this thread, and I look forward to hearing about your day.

So here's the deal, for anyone who is interested in doing so, please post your experiences of compassion. Were you the giver or the recipient of this kindness? What was the experience like for you? Dish it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocell View Post
Compassion is not just a one day thing and it definitely does not need to be done to impress society etc. Compassion should come from the heart without selfish reasons IMHO.
While this is true, there is also nothing wrong with being consciously compassionate, and setting a day aside to do so brings no harm.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Bliss View Post
I failed to meet my commitment.
No harm done, Sweet Bliss. Every day is a new day with new opportunities of all sorts.