Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I dunno about that but I hope not. I would imagine there would be far more outraged than supportive but I'm guessing on that.

I didn't find it funny. If anything I found it suggesting that all women are manipulating, conniving liars. Are you saying that's true? Humour can be done well without making generalizations like that.

Yes, all should be doing this but I asked here specifically to get a trans point of view. I had wondered if I had missed something. I thought that perhaps because of my personal life experience that perhaps I didn't quite get how it is "true" since I find none of true.

It was something that a transman in a support group once said that resonated with me. He said that he would always strive to be a "man of integrity". That is, ensure that what he believes and what his actions are matches; and, that he would fight against a variety of 'isms' that have meaning to him based on his past. When we discussed it, it hit home as something that I have been trying to live by but could not articulate.

Does that help?

P.S. I cannot answer/address #2 since I do not feel it applies. If I missed something, let me know.
Cool. Thank you for your responses.

My personal pontification is that (as with many previous posts of a similar nature where man/woman was exchanged with butch/femme) it would be about 50/50. Welllll, wait, because about 4ish years ago, it would have been about 50/50. I'm gonna hazard a guess that it would be more 70ish against the article and 30ish in favor of the article. I'm changing that from 50-50, because in recent years, we really haven't seen as many of these articles popping up, and I don't know if that's because people's minds have changed, of if it's because the people who find it humorous have decided to shut up about it. But based on previous threads a few years ago, it used to be about 50-50.

Thank you for explaining the integrity part. That does make it more clear.

Much Appreciated,
Dylan
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #22
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

Linus,

From a personal place, I don't necessarily agree with the article...but then, I'm also wondering if that's not for me to say, since it was written by a women about women.

Where's that line?

I mean, if I were to read an article written by, say, a person from a culture that's not mine, is it then my place to say the article is offensive to that group?

Example: Is it my place to say, Chris Rock's humor is racist? I'm being serious...I wonder.

Dylan...I also find the article cis-sexist, and I wonder if applying it to trans people perpetuates cissexist attitudes. But again...I wonder many things. I'm not cis-sexed, and expecting One to conform to (or get 'the humor' of) cis-sexed society seems a little like...perpetuating cissexist views and mentalities. Does that makes sense?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
My point is, using another person's voice who isn't part of the community you're dissecting is offensive

Just as offensive as if I were to use a man's random pontifications about why women act the way they do or using a straight person's pontifications about why queers do what they do.

Especially if you yourself are NOT part of the community you're speaking about

Dylan

ETA: Also using one person's voice as a spokesperson for all is also offensive
I'd also like to add that it's offensive to assume all transpeople have been socialized a certain way (I.e. not being taught the same way/things as the dominant/oppressing group)

As is expecting the oppressed group to 'act' the same way as the dominant/oppressing group.

Sorry For Continuing To Add And Clarify, But The Phone Rang And I Got Sidetracked,
Dylan
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Linus,

From a personal place, I don't necessarily agree with the article...but then, I'm also wondering if that's not for me to say, since it was written by a women about women.

Where's that line?

I mean, if I were to read an article written by, say, a person from a culture that's not mine, is it then my place to say the article is offensive to that group?

Example: Is it my place to say, Chris Rock's humor is racist? I'm being serious...I wonder.

Dylan...I also find the article cis-sexist, and I wonder if applying it to trans people perpetuates cissexist attitudes. But again...I wonder many things. I'm not cis-sexed, and expecting One to conform to (or get 'the humor' of) cis-sexed society seems a little like...perpetuating cissexist views and mentalities. Does that makes sense?
We believe it's a woman. Until I meet the author in person, I cannot know one way or another. Regardless of who wrote it, doesn't mean it needs to be continued and propagated elsewhere. There are lots of weird stuff on the Internet and thanks to sites like Snopes, we're able to find truth (or falsehoods) in many of those things. I do not have to take it at face value as being true.

Now, as to whether I can speak for women, true. I may not being a position to speak on behalf of women but I can certainly speak on behalf of myself, as a man, how it bothers me and how I feel it's inaccurate and full of stereotypes.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
2. Another thing I'm not understanding is why, if this thread is in the trans zone, why so many cispeople of another sex are pontificating about the experiences of transmen...how they *should* act or how they *should* be 'taught'. I mean, wouldn't just about any child get 'smacked upside the head' (usually by the women in their lives) if they came home with these attitudes or said the wrong thing about women? Shouldn't it be that way? And again, isn't it awfully cissexist to assume transpeople have been socialized a certain way (did or didn't get certain 'trainings' as a child)? I wouldn't let my kid say stupid shit no matter their gender. I wasn't allowed to say certain things in the house or around the women in my family, and it had nothing to do with gender or ID...it had to do with being disrespectful.
Sorry if you don't think cisgendered people should be participating in the discussion, Dylan.

I did wonder whether, being in the Trans zone, I really should reply. But that's kinda why I didn't concentrate on the "Trans" aspect, more on the "people" and "society" aspect - and just hoped it was still useful to Linus.
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #26
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
We believe it's a woman. Until I meet the author in person, I cannot know one way or another. Regardless of who wrote it, doesn't mean it needs to be continued and propagated elsewhere. There are lots of weird stuff on the Internet and thanks to sites like Snopes, we're able to find truth (or falsehoods) in many of those things. I do not have to take it at face value as being true.

Now, as to whether I can speak for women, true. I may not being a position to speak on behalf of women but I can certainly speak on behalf of myself, as a man, how it bothers me and how I feel it's inaccurate and full of stereotypes.
Or maybe it's true for this woman's perspective and some people she knows personally.

Again, I'm not cis-sexed, nor do I date many straight women (for whom this article speaks), so, eh...who knows.

I think it definitely promotes heterosexist and cis sexist norms and standards, and I choose not to participate in perpetuating those standards.

I'm not arguing with you...just conversing.

Dylan
Old 05-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #27
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Or maybe it's true for this woman's perspective and some people she knows personally.

Again, I'm not cis-sexed, nor do I date many straight women (for whom this article speaks), so, eh...who knows.

I think it definitely promotes heterosexist and cis sexist norms and standards, and I choose not to participate in perpetuating those standards.

I'm not arguing with you...just conversing.

Dylan

Oh I know. And I like the conversation. Makes my mind work and understand better.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

I really do wonder at what point a man is 'allowed' to call out a woman (again, assuming it's a woman author) for saying something sexist.

Yanno What I Mean?,
Dylan