The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Shaving: Hints, advice, questions (for the bois)

I've been contemplating getting a straight razor (as opposed to the commonly used triple/quad commercial razors). Has/does anyone use a straight razor? Are there any brands that you'd recommend over others? I have a nice shaving soap my aunt got me. It lathers nice and I have a nice faux badger brush to lather with. I just need a nice razor to go with.

I've also considered a double-edge (old fashion razor) but my concern is that it's hard to do the very specific and narrow shaves along my side-burn area.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

I have an old double edge

I've been wanting to play around with a straight razor, but I'm also afraid I'll rip off half of my face

I'm interested to see the responses, because I too would really like to know a little more about technique

Dylan
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I'm with you Dylan, I don't think I'd want to be practicing with a straight razor. OUCH! just wouldn't be enough if I cut myself, I'm sure I'd have all kinds of colorful language.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

E-How to Shave with a Straight Razor: http://www.wikihow.com/Shave-with-a-Straight-Razor

There are a few videos on Google and Youtube as well. This one on Google looks interesting: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1741780429878#

Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Mike
In Loving Memory and Many Thanks

Relationship Status:
connected, emotionally and physically

Thanked 2,456 Times in 416 Posts
Mike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST Reputation

If you plan on using a straight razor and dont want to practice on yourself or anyone else, practice on a balloon. When you can shave the balloon without popping it, you should be able to shave your face. I have shaved this way many times, but it lots of work to keep one sharp.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

a good, sharp edge is the key. for me, the coarsest facial hair i have is on my chin. that's a lot of work with a straight razor. the key for a smooth shave, no matter what razor your use, is to work against the 'grain' of the hair growth. it gets pulled up and is cut below skin level, for that baby butt smooth feel. if you can stand a few nicks and cuts, start lightly on your cheeks...you'll get the feel for it soon enough.

dylan...i have used the double edged razors before and left a chunk of my face in the sink. i think they might be more dangerous than straight razors. so much for "safety" razor, eh?

i think the key to technique on any sort of razor is to take your time.

btw...anything with a sheffield blade is usually good stuff.

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Daryn
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
genderqueer leaning male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/ze
Relationship Status:
open to persuasion.....

Daryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST Reputation

My facial hair (under chin and upper lip) is coming in as aging advances (but I am a guy not transitioning) so I have to shave every other day. Carson Daly is anti-shaving against the grain but... I found this article to be useful in general (and yeah I have sensitive skin)

http://www.helium.com/items/460597-s...sensitive-skin
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daryn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Just a regular Gilllette Mach 3 works the best for me, I've used it for years now. I try to shave with the grain not against but sometimes I break my own rule.
The issue for me isn't really about the razor it's more with the shaving cream. I've found that gels completely dry out my skin and creams work much better. I especially like Kiehls white eagle. It has menthol and camphor in it and helps get a really close shave without irritating or drying out my skin. Makes my face feel refreshed not dry. I buy it online. Their stuff is great but pricey.
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

On my wishlist

Click here

Dylan
Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I've been contemplating getting a straight razor
What interests you about the straight razor? What benefits are you looking for that are lacking in your current shavers/razors?

Curious,
Thinker
Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Better control for very narrow edges. Plus, I like the feel of a straight razor (I've had it done a couple of times at a barber).

Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 2/11/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Sam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST Reputation

I use a straight razor now that i have shaved off my scruff completely. easier to get around my sideburns and chin.

i practiced on 5 balloons, until i didnt hurt the 5th one
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
On my wishlist

Click here

Dylan
I never thought electric shavers came as close as a razor. Does this one Dylan?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
I never thought electric shavers came as close as a razor. Does this one Dylan?
I doubt it. But I also don't know as I haven't actually used it.

I also like a scruffy look tho...and I like being able to shave in the car...I don't know why

Dylan
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
Lee

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ze
Relationship Status:
Partner

Lee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant future

Cool! I love the look of a shaving cup and razor. I dont have a lot of experience using one but I do know that sharper is safer, even tho it seems like a less sharp edge would be safer to start with you have a better chance of nicking something with a dull blade.
Good luck.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote