Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Trans Zone

Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Enigma

How Do You Identify?:
~ & ~
Relationship Status:
Enchanted

Enigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb Seeking Participants: Photo Project on Transphobia & Gender Baiting

Quote:
"A Series of Questions"

Photo Project on Transphobic and Gender Baiting Questions

ONGOING: SEEKING PARTICIPANTS

questionphotoproject@gmail.com

www.lweingarten.com

“A Series of Questions” is a photo project exploring the power dynamics inherent in the questions asked of transgender, transsexual, genderqueer, gender-variant, and/or gender non-conforming people. Participants are photographed holding a sign upon which is written a question they have been asked. The questions are then turned on the viewer, shifting the dynamics under which they were originally asked, forming a larger series of questions which many of the people photographed face as a part of their daily lives.

Many documentary photographic works dealing with trans issues and gender exploit the genders of these subjects, pointing to an “otherness” or inappropriately exoticizing; this body of work seeks to instead point to the transphobia and gender-baiting that can become part of everyday interactions and lives, forming a more full picture of the various lived experiences.

Sample image:

more about the project and installations here:

http://sites.google.com/site/questionphotoproject/

About LWeingarten:

http://www.lweingarten.com/page/about/

Quote:

~Images from the Collection~

More information about the project and images here:

http://www.jpgmag.com/stories/12847
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enigma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

very interesting....thank you.
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Enigma

How Do You Identify?:
~ & ~
Relationship Status:
Enchanted

Enigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by afixer View Post
very interesting....thank you.
Yes, I think it is very interesting also. I love the blend of activism, gender diversity and art!

I am always fascinated by not only the diversity of the trans community but their amazing courage, whether it is simply navigating the landscape of their day-to-day lives or putting themselves out there to forward awareness. Sometimes it seems to me that those who have had the heaviest burdens are the first to step up to carry more. Perhaps that courage, strength and insight comes from a lifetime of being challenged in ways that the rest of the world does not see.

This site and the members here are an example of that very concept.

Whatever it is...I am in awe of it.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Yes, I think it is very interesting also. I love the blend of activism, gender diversity and art!
<snip>
This site and the members here are an example of that very concept.

Whatever it is...I am in awe of it.

I consider myself fairly androgenous and I'm often suprised how folks address me in different situations...sometimes good sometimes bad.
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote