The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default YouTube's Transphobic Policies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-b..._b_570731.html

So, as an FYI, if you have top surgery don't post the results on YouTube. They'll yank it.

(never mind the sexist nature of not allowing women's breasts on there but allowing cis-gendered men on it).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

If you go on to read the entire post and click on the *update* link, you will find that YouTube has put the video back up and responded.

http://www.bilerico.com/2010/05/domi...is_back_up.php
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie0918 View Post
If you go on to read the entire post and click on the *update* link, you will find that YouTube has put the video back up and responded.

http://www.bilerico.com/2010/05/domi...is_back_up.php
They put it back up but I'd bet, it'll happen again. As Alex points out:

Quote:
It's not the most in-depth explanation of what they're going to do, but since the video was put back up almost immediately there doesn't seem to be a policy already against trans men going shirtless on YouTube, just someone who's probably assigned to check out flagged videos all day going a little trigger happy.

Their "training" could be as little as clarifying the policy to the people who check out flagged content, who might be completely unfamiliar with tg/ts/lgbt issues. Increasing awareness of their own staff would go a long way to keep YouTube open to LGBT people (and it's already been doing a great job, considering how many LGBT YouTubers there are).

I'd be curious as to what training they did and how they truly resolved the issue for long term.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Enigma

How Do You Identify?:
~ & ~
Relationship Status:
Enchanted

Enigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-b..._b_570731.html

So, as an FYI, if you have top surgery don't post the results on YouTube. They'll yank it.

(never mind the sexist nature of not allowing women's breasts on there but allowing cis-gendered men on it).
Definitely a gender police alert!

Reprisals against female-bodied people exposing their chests is a completely sexist cultural phenomenon. There still exist places in the world where females are routinely as bare-chested as men. (National Geographic, anyone? The beaches on the French Riviera?)

It is such a deeply entrenched cultural prohibition, here is what a Huffpo regular, self-described liberal member of the LGBTQ community had to say in the comment section of the article:

Quote:

HUFFPOST SUPER USER
Robert Meek 01:29 PM on 5/12/2010
9 Fans
If that screen shot is an honest depiction of what was posted, I can see You Tube's point!

There is every reason to think the appearance is that of a somewhat flat-breasted woman!

And before anyone jumps at me, I'm a 52 year old seropoz out single gwm who in general is very liberal in his views.

I do not personally find it offensive, nor provocative, but I can see why You Tube did, and what I don't mind, being me, if I had the job of having to make the call on such a video, "yea" or "nay," I would have erred on the side of caution, and suggested removal of said video.
Btw, Facebook also removes the photos of women nursing their babies.

Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enigma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Ya. I've heard of that one over nursing babies. It's interesting that in Ontario there was a campaign put forward by a group of women and restaurants where restaurants can identify that they are "breast-feeding friendly". It's pretty sad that something that should be natural is treated as an offense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: