Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Trans Zone

Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation
Default Community and Services Available to Trans Men/Women

A few questions for my Trans Sisters and Brothers:

1. Do you have a local LGBQIT Community which welcomes you?

2. What kind of resources/services particular to Trans People are available locally to you, as a Trans Person?

My answers:

1. I don't have a local LGBQIT Community. I would have to drive to Denver to experience that, and I've never done that.

2. There are no Endos here, who have worked with FTMs. No support groups locally, nor plastic surgeons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
She put a ring on it and the date is set :)

Delish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post

2. What kind of resources/services particular to Trans People are available locally to you, as a Trans Person?

My answers:

1. I don't have a local LGBQIT Community. I would have to drive to Denver to experience that, and I've never done that.

2. There are no Endos here, who have worked with FTMs. No support groups locally, nor plastic surgeons.
I am sorry Liam. This is 2010 and you would think there wasn't anywhere that didn't have Endos that work/have worked with FtM's. I mean, I live in Alabama and we have them here!
How far from Denver are you?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delish View Post
I am sorry Liam. This is 2010 and you would think there wasn't anywhere that didn't have Endos that work/have worked with FtM's. I mean, I live in Alabama and we have them here!
How far from Denver are you?
I'm a little less than two hours from Denver.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
She put a ring on it and the date is set :)

Delish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'm a little less than two hours from Denver.
Do you know anyone from that area that is apart of the LGBQIT community that can help you with any resources you need???
Old 06-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

1. Yes. The LGBTQ Center as well as various community health centers (including Callen-Lorde) are trans friendly/supportive.

2. I've never gone for endo but am able to get trans health care (both for transition and natal body issues) in a comfortable setting. It will be interesting to see how L.A. compares to NYC (although I think I will be able to find similar resources out there).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Q. Do you have a local GLBQIT Community which welcomes you?

A. No. We used to years ago. The book store, Lambda Rising left due to the poor economy. Most of my friends are close knit group of folks. We had a support group for ftm's/mtf's but that ended as people moved on with their lives. So many of our free or next to free healthcare centers have been closed down. We are now laying off firemen, policemen, emt's, and such. The state, local & county gov't is laying off as well.

Q. What kind of resources/services particular to Trans People are available locally to you, as a trans person?

A. We have a few plastic surgeons in Baltimore, but they are in it for the money instead of the care I have found out (the hard way). Endocrinologists are more focused on those who have issues with cancer, thyroid, women exp. menopause, and that sort of thing. They are around, but not focused on the ftm/mtf's. The ones I have interviewed for my own care, I wouldn't set foot back in their office ever again.

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

There is a GLBTQ "community center" here in Vegas, but I don't know if there's any kind of actual organized social support in the form of a "group", so to speak. I've met a couple of people here in Vegas from here and the dash site, and although we regard each other as "friends", we don't really get together and do anything together very often. I think we're all busy working, or just living our lives. I like to get together with Eddie (OffRoadButch), Luvin' (when hy's here in town) and Caidyn (SinCityChains) when we can and eat waaaaaaanggggzz at Hooter's from time to time, but like I said, we all stay busy with work and such.

Well, there's a trans support group, sponsored by the Las Vegas GLBTQ Community Center, and that meets On Monday nights at the Center, but I haven't been to that in a couple of years. My work hours (rotating 12 hour shifts) aren't exactly conducive to scheduled things and it's hard to make a habit of going to these meetings. Caidyn and I went to a few meetings a couple of years ago and we were the only transmen there. Of course we met bunches of seriously nice, funny and very pretty transwomen, but we found that the meetings weren't really, all in all, geared for the issues of transmen. We both quit going.

There are a couple of doctors in town who perform services, mainly hormone therapy and management, but they're very quiet about it and you almost have to hook up with some of the area transwomen in order to find out who they are.....so....go to the support meetings and find a doc, eh??

I'm lucky that I'm a health care professional, a Disabled Veteran and I also work for the VA health care system here in Las Vegas. My VA doc is very gay/trans-friendly and is not adverse to providing me with my Testosterone, the injection supplies and follow up lab maintenance that I need. Also, I've noticed, from several FTM and MTF patients who have come through our VA system/hospital from other VA's, that the VA is coming more in tune with the fact that there are numerous Veterans who are transgendered and need and are entitled to health and mental health services from VA. The VA is now, more than ever, becoming sensitive to these needs and policies are being written and re-written to implement a more trans-friendly and respectful attitude towards trans Veterans.

I would encourage any of my trans brothers (and sisters) who read this, and are Veterans, to inquire at their local VA health care systems about services and care for transgendered/transsexual Veterans.

~Theo~