Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Trans Info/Links for the Non-Trans

Yup, this might look kinda hoakey, but, it is in the spirit of helping combat transphobia here and give those of us that are not trans a place to gather information to respond to transphobic remarks and attitudes.

My hope is that our trans members will post links, articles, books and personal ideas about how we all can have discussions that prevent on-going myths and mis-perceptions about transpeople and couples in our community and specifically on the site. The truth is that many members do not have a background in gender dynamics and transitioning and their first glimpse of the transgendered (or inter-gendered) experience could very well be here. They could make blunders that are not even close to mean-spirited because they haven’t a clue about where and how to educate themselves. Even in today’s world, even as a member, here.

Obviously, this thread takes the point of view that transphobia exists here at times and in real-time within the B-F, LGBTIQ communities. That point isn’t being argued.

Sometimes it is difficult for a non-trans person to articulate to someone else that they are being transphobic, but often lacks sound information in trying to make points about this and to let others know they need to get educated in a way that doesn't promote more myth, misinformation, and bigotry.

The thread needs and seeks the help of trans members to get movin’!

I can recommend Colage as a queer organization for families that can be a good resource- sticking with what I know personally in terms of an organization that can be of help. There are many other resource organizations worldwide that is would be great to get a run-down on from transpeople that participate in them.

Hopefully, everyone will add information and links, etc. from time to time to update the thread.... I hope it remains a pro-active and informational thread and doesn't disintegrate into debate- we have many threads to do that in!!

http://colage.org/
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...read.php?t=159 <-- see links here.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This is exactly the kind of garbage that not engaging in ways to educate people as a community in total spurs in society at large.

Indiana Hospital Says No Transgender Patients Allowed

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/vie...tients_allowed
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.brownboiproject.org/

Check out this site and read their Mission Statement. I am going to do some stuff with this group and I am very pleased to see the younger ones picking up the cause and moving us forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have to applaud the Boston Veterans Administration Medical Center for their official policy of treating Transgender Veteran patients with the same kindness, care, interest and respect they would render to non-trans Veteran patients. In their policy, which I'll provide a link to the complete text of below, they state:

"Nationwide, there is a VA prohibition against providing gender revision surgery or sex reassignment surgery (SRS). However, VA Boston Healthcare System has a number of transgender patients seeking ‘usual and customary’ treatment. Some transsexual patients have completed or are en-route to full transition from one gender to another. This transition often takes years for a patient to fully complete; some never fully complete the
transition. Moreover, other transgender individuals prefer to live outside the traditional boundaries of gender which may not necessitate surgical interventions or other elements of transition. Thus, VA Boston Healthcare System cares for transgender patients who present at multiple points on this transition continuum, including individuals who are not seeking SRS. Therefore, transition status cannot be a prerequisite for providing appropriate healthcare."

I'm a very proud employee of the VA Health Care System, here in Las Vegas, and I've recently been appointed to the position of Fair Practices Coordinator in my local union (AFGE). It is my own personal mission, in this capacity, to bring about a similar policy in my own VA system that would provide and require fair treatment all transgender patients and employees. This really needs to be implemented as a nationwide VA policy, and I think it will be, eventually.

I'm proud of the VA health care system, as a whole. I'm very thankful that the United States is the only country in the world that honors its military Veterans with our own government-provided health care system and benefits. I receive most, if not all, of my own health care from the VA, and as a post-transition Transman, I'm happy to say that I've always received fair, compassionate, top-notch treatment in the VA health care system for any condition I've had, not just my service connected medical problems. I wish every American had access to such a system, but as a proud Veteran, I'm very happy to have such a benefit that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Here's the link to the Boston VA's complete policy on the treatment of Trangendered Veteran patients:

http://www.tavausa.org/Management%20...ients_7.08.pdf

Pretty damned cool, yes??

~Theo~
Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
I have to applaud the Boston Veterans Administration Medical Center for their official policy of treating Transgender Veteran patients with the same kindness, care, interest and respect they would render to non-trans Veteran patients. In their policy, which I'll provide a link to the complete text of below, they state:

"Nationwide, there is a VA prohibition against providing gender revision surgery or sex reassignment surgery (SRS). However, VA Boston Healthcare System has a number of transgender patients seeking ‘usual and customary’ treatment. Some transsexual patients have completed or are en-route to full transition from one gender to another. This transition often takes years for a patient to fully complete; some never fully complete the
transition. Moreover, other transgender individuals prefer to live outside the traditional boundaries of gender which may not necessitate surgical interventions or other elements of transition. Thus, VA Boston Healthcare System cares for transgender patients who present at multiple points on this transition continuum, including individuals who are not seeking SRS. Therefore, transition status cannot be a prerequisite for providing appropriate healthcare."

I'm a very proud employee of the VA Health Care System, here in Las Vegas, and I've recently been appointed to the position of Fair Practices Coordinator in my local union (AFGE). It is my own personal mission, in this capacity, to bring about a similar policy in my own VA system that would provide and require fair treatment all transgender patients and employees. This really needs to be implemented as a nationwide VA policy, and I think it will be, eventually.

I'm proud of the VA health care system, as a whole. I'm very thankful that the United States is the only country in the world that honors its military Veterans with our own government-provided health care system and benefits. I receive most, if not all, of my own health care from the VA, and as a post-transition Transman, I'm happy to say that I've always received fair, compassionate, top-notch treatment in the VA health care system for any condition I've had, not just my service connected medical problems. I wish every American had access to such a system, but as a proud Veteran, I'm very happy to have such a benefit that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Here's the link to the Boston VA's complete policy on the treatment of Trangendered Veteran patients:

http://www.tavausa.org/Management%20...ients_7.08.pdf

Pretty damned cool, yes??

~Theo~
So glad to see that something is happening to challenge the Indianna hospital mentality! Also, I get upset with the lack of regard for our military overall- watched a special not too long ago in which one person with loved ones deployed to Iraq & Afghanistan (for several deployments!) said we are going to war and the rest of the country is going to the mall. How true, how sad!

When I look at what citizens did in everyday life to back our military during WWII and compare it to what it is like today, it makes me sick. Frankly, if we had to make big changes in our everyday lives while engaged in war, we might have a better informed society that took an interest in politics and policies that bring us to war engagement. Perhaps, things such as Bush's lies would not have been acted upon putting troops in harms way in Iraq.
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: