The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Angry Lesbian sites actually done by men??

Geez. So "A Gay Girl in Damascus" and "Lez Get Real" are actually men who pretended to be lesbians. To me , it feels offensive and just gross. It's bad enough that men control the majority of media (All?). Can women not have their own sites that are protected and true and honest?

And if it's a question of being supportive, can they not be supportive as men and presenting themselves as who they truly are?

More details here and here.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

OH, well! Lots of women pretend to be men in the same circumstanc.... oh, wait. No, they don't.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Geez. So "A Gay Girl in Damascus" and "Lez Get Real" are actually men who pretended to be lesbians. To me , it feels offensive and just gross. It's bad enough that men control the majority of media (All?). Can women not have their own sites that are protected and true and honest?

And if it's a question of being supportive, can they not be supportive as men and presenting themselves as who they truly are?

Oh god I agree Linus. This is just sickening to me. It's a violation of women's space and right to their own voices. Men have no business doing this shit.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

The thing that was so galling about this is that they did not realize how offensive their actions actually were. If I wanted to show someone what male privilege looked like, I could do no better than to point out these two men.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

As with anything - if there is money in something someone, somewhere is going to abuse it. That appears to be the case with LGR - it's monetized with ads and what not. I can't say for GGiD. I don't understand the thought process that goes with this in any other way though.

I get that some people get a kick out of pretending to be someone else for a short period of time. But to keep up the charade over the course of years? There's got to be more of a reason. No?

For what it's worth - I launched lez.org yesterday. I hereby solemnly swear it's all me. And my first post? All about LGR and DDiG.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I wish people would just be truthful.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,578 Times in 402 Posts
wolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputation

In a way I can understand portraying a different gender online. But to exploit so damn many people simply for entertainment purposes is just cruel. It also speaks about how some people believe that nothing they do online matters. The worse thing is the people that were organizing petitioning and trying to figure out how to rescue the girl in Damascus including me.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
The thing that was so galling about this is that they did not realize how offensive their actions actually were. If I wanted to show someone what male privilege looked like, I could do no better than to point out these two men.

Cheers
Aj
Absolutely, spot on, Aj!!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

I'd just like to say that I'm a woman, and I'm um.. a sort of lesbian, I go to gay bars, I'm not married and I haven't had any trips to Turkey recently.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

Not that I have a blog, website or an online girlfriend.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I think this goes on a lot more than we know about.

Being honest, i'm afraid, for some people is not a way of life. I have known people who have done this to be excepted into a certain group that they have felt people would perceive them as less than if they knew their real gender.

Sad for the people that call them friends and don't know. More sad for the people that do it and are what IMO is an identity they are ashamed of.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
I think this goes on a lot more than we know about.

Being honest, i'm afraid, for some people is not a way of life. I have known people who have done this to be excepted into a certain group that they have felt people would perceive them as less than if they knew their real gender.

Sad for the people that call them friends and don't know. More sad for the people that do it and are what IMO is an identity they are ashamed of.
Sad....but also true. I'm all too aware of the misrepresentation that goes on online...up to and including gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I would like to say that I've never been in a Turkish Prison. I plead the 5th on Turkish Baths, though.
I will plead the 5th on both Turkish prisons and Turkish baths....but will confirm that I adore Turkish Delight.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I don't think it's okay to misrepresent your gender online. Ever. Be who you are or don't show up.

I am so sick of people hiding behind the anonymity of the Internets. It is to the point where if I don't know you, and no one I know, knows you then what the hell are you trying to hide?

I know that sounds really cranky, doesn't it.

I should go back out to the garden now.

*Muttering "sorry" on the way out*
Might sound cranky, but I am with you on this 100%. I have become so much more cautious online due to this kind of activity. And also with meeting anyone connected with even our site! Just too many bizarre things have happened to me and people I do know in person. Although compared to people much younger than myself and generations that have had the internet as part of their lives much, much longer, my experiences are probably less in numbers.

I hate feeling this way sometimes because I enjoy and do have a positive connection with our site here and do read many folks as being most likely good people. Having gone to some conferences and social events when I could do so in the past had both positive and negative consequences, yet the positive outweighed the negative in making a couple of good friends that I do trust very much.

A long time ago- way back on the PNO personals area, I was lied to by a MtF concerning her gender. I did have some consideration for her in some ways about the difficulty she might be in with her transition and transphobic bigotry surrounding her- and this was at least 10-12 years ago. But, I did not appreciate being lied to at all. It ended up with our becoming good friends and I actually introduced her to a friend of mine and they have been together ever since. I have dated a MtF since and would again if we both had chemistry and common values along with mutual relationship goals and could belly laugh together. laughter. (OMG! - Can’t wait for the comments I might get for this disclosure! Between this and loving my female body with a pride as a masculine butch women and these kinds of disclosures usually brings out Butch-Card validity BS- which is SO weird when I think about just how gender-ignorant some can be on this very site and within this very community). Something rather humorous is that a close FtM friend that is an activist keeps trying to set me up with his MtF friends and I always know when James calls and the convo starts with.. “Seeing anyone right now?,” he wants me to go on a double date with his wife and a single woman they know that is most likely (not always) a MtF. I just think he and his wife just want me to find someone. Bozos! Good friends, however. At first when he was dating his wife it was about insecurity because she had a couple of LTRs with women. I called him on this - we had a good laugh and so did she and that took care of that. For a long time after his transitioning was in effect “complete,” he still had a difficult time believing that a woman would just love him as he was and had been. We all go through insecurities. I knew that his wife was not even the least bit interested in me in a romantic sense. Plus, that boundary is one I don’t cross- even when there is mutual attraction. So goes honor and the importance of truth with friends and lovers! Besides, I am a believer in the old adage of “if she will cheat with you, she will cheat on you.” Seen this come true far to many times eventually with friends and family.

Lies and lying have always just been a critical part of recognizing people as having dignity, integrity and honor. yet, I do sometimes struggle with my rigidity with this when it comes to gender identity as in this kind of interaction.

BUT, men posing as women and lesbians is just not OK. Women posing as men and being gay would not be OK for me, either in the context of a website. It's fraud, plain and simple as well as dishonesty at a very low level.

I have no idea why I am rambling on and on, other than I have had a bad pain day and on drugs… motor mouth font going on…

Last edited by AtLast; 06-16-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Had to add something important- otherwise pot shots will prevail..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
Starrynightaw

How Do You Identify?:
Femme. Queer. Submissive.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Girl, Honey :)
Relationship Status:
Single!

Location: Southern Alabama, But I can also be found in surrounding areas. (Travel Alot)
Starrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST ReputationStarrynightaw Has the BEST Reputation

I just have one thing to say.

It's really easy to hide behind a screen and pretend to be something your not. One day you will end up meeting the people you deceive. I hope they have mercy on you. Cause I wouldn't.

Maybe they should "Try" being a better human.

Grr. My thoughts.
Starrynightaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starrynightaw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

wait, people lie on the internet?
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Atlast -- You know, I didn't even think about this when I posted. I was referring to cis-gendered (there's that word!) men posing as women and Lesbians. I was not in any way, shape or form referring to any of the women or men in our online or local communities.

I think I was posting in a bubble, because I sometimes forget when I am typing in this little box that my language is not necessarily the same as everyone elses (although, I don't know why it can't be! )

Women who live as women / Men who live as men do not fall into the same category for me as cis-gendered, heterosexuals pretending to be something they are not, and have not paid the price for. And no matter who we are, if we belong to this community, we have paid some kind of price for it.

I hope that clears things up.
Yeppers, it does.

And yes, we have paid a price, every one of us. It is interesting that my mind went to the place it did, but it all fits for mewhen I think about gender identity as it really is- multi-faceted, varied, complex and part of life.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 AM   #16
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
A long time ago- way back on the PNO personals area, I was lied to by a MtF concerning her gender.
Hmm... I friend of mine was lied to by an MTF in real life. I know it shouldn't matter, except that it mattered very much to my friend when they finally got down to it. With gender and sexuality issues I guess it's very hard to know where the line is, when do you tell someone that you are Trans, or gay, or even just that you are interested? One persons acceptable can be another's unforgivable.

What those two men did however is just wrong. Even without the moralising, it was still very very stupid.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:30 AM   #17
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
Hmm... I friend of mine was lied to by an MTF in real life. I know it shouldn't matter, except that it mattered very much to my friend when they finally got down to it. With gender and sexuality issues I guess it's very hard to know where the line is, when do you tell someone that you are Trans, or gay, or even just that you are interested? One persons acceptable can be another's unforgivable.

What those two men did however is just wrong. Even without the moralising, it was still very very stupid.
Yaknow, in reading all of this that is the one word that kept coming to me,

STUPID. What stupid fucks. But then again, they are getting lots of attention.

Could be brilliant.....
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #18
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
OH, well! Lots of women pretend to be men in the same circumstanc.... oh, wait. No, they don't.
Respectfully Tapu, I am wondering, where this fragmented thought was headed?

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:
Single - gave up the farce

Chazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
Sad....but also true. I'm all too aware of the misrepresentation that goes on online...up to and including gender.

I will plead the 5th on both Turkish prisons and Turkish baths....but will confirm that I adore Turkish Delight.

Yepper on the gender misrepresentations.

But as anyone who has ever cyber searched the term lesbian knows, what you mostly get is male produced porn for men.

A Gay Girl in Damascus and Lez Get Real are just versions of male, voyeuristic porn.
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #20
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Thinking about my very early days online- how naive I was even though I was in my mid-forties. For awhile, I just didn't think that anyone would be untruthful or misrepresent themselves!! WTF was I thinking? That people are always honest? Silly me!