Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Kimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST Reputation
Default Do It Yourself Help-Home Projects

There's a lot of talent here. I was hoping we could help each other with home project questions.

I happen to have a few home projects going on right now and would like to ask some help of someone who knows plumbing.

This is my dilema:

Kitchen - good cold water pressure and poor hot water pressure
Bathtub - has poor hot and cold water pressure
Bathroom - sink has great hot and cold water pressure.

I have replaced the kitchen and bathroom sinks within the past year and I am hesitant to get to involved with my plumbing because it is old galvanized pipe--where is the problem at, just the screens or is it indicitive of an issue with the hot water heater (which is about 15 y/o)?

I've been warned about touching the galvanized pipes..is it true they are hell to work with?

Where is the shut off valve for the tub and how hard is it to replace the whole unit, shower and faucets in the tub. I have the tile slated to be torn down and replaced in Jan so opening the wall is no big deal. I'm just afraid my hot water pressure is not going to make it until then.

Also I have bit of rot in front of the tub--is there a way I can guage how bad the rot is without lifting the tub?

Help.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimbo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

although i have no answers for any of your questions, kimbo, i love your thread idea hopefully, a lot of experiences, and/or problem solving skills visit here, and lessen any burdens on do.it.yourself home repairs.

best,
belle

violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Have you drained your water heater? Next check under the house for a shut off valve if not in the water heater area. You should have a water pressure valve some where where your water main is connected to the house. If you don't have one....get one. Good luck!
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,560 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
There's a lot of talent here. I was hoping we could help each other with home project questions.

I happen to have a few home projects going on right now and would like to ask some help of someone who knows plumbing.

This is my dilema:

Kitchen - good cold water pressure and poor hot water pressure
Bathtub - has poor hot and cold water pressure
Bathroom - sink has great hot and cold water pressure.

I have replaced the kitchen and bathroom sinks within the past year and I am hesitant to get to involved with my plumbing because it is old galvanized pipe--where is the problem at, just the screens or is it indicitive of an issue with the hot water heater (which is about 15 y/o)?

Sounds like you may have sediments in the valve or shower head for the tub area. The kitchen may be the same thing.

I've been warned about touching the galvanized pipes..is it true they are hell to work with?

Yes they are, I repiped my house before I moved in, it was a bear. They were riddled with sediment and the break down of the metal from the inside of the pipes. I had to replace the pipe from street to house in order to increase water pressure. I was at an advantage since my house is above grade. Still there was no way to save them nor did I want to.

Where is the shut off valve for the tub and how hard is it to replace the whole unit, shower and faucets in the tub. I have the tile slated to be torn down and replaced in Jan so opening the wall is no big deal. I'm just afraid my hot water pressure is not going to make it until then.

I don't have a shut off valve for my tub. If I am doing work I turn it off at the street for safety.

Also I have bit of rot in front of the tub--is there a way I can guage how bad the rot is without lifting the tub?

If your house is above grade you can crawl under and take a look. If not you can try using a water meter. My experice if it reads high the rot will be pretty bad, but I am not there so I am just guessing.

Help.
Good luck!!
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Kimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
Good luck!!
Thanks--I do have a shut off valve at the house and there is one on the water heater, I didn't think about shutting it off at the water heater.

In the tub is there a screen to the faucet? I am trying to figure out where that hot water is coming in at, I have two knobs one each so I am assuming they each have their own line of water--I'm not sure where to dig for a screen to clean and suspect it is in the wall. I've never messed with any tub plumbing--replaced lots of sinks and toilets but never messed with the tub.

Do you know if you shut the water off at the vstreet, do you have to be concerned about how open it is when you turn it back on--is there such a thing as to much pressure turning it back on into the house?

I really appreciate the reponses!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

If you have galvanized pipes, the problem with your low pressure water could be the pipes themselves. When they rot, the rot from the inside in. Thus, you won't see any damage until you cut the pipe open...at which point, you'll see all the rot clogging up the pipe. I had this in a house once. And it was the hot water pipes. I started in the bathtub, and ended up replacing all the pipes...allllllllll the way to the street. It was a nightmare.

For the rot in front of the tub: If you're planning on replacing it anyways, you can always try to old "If you can stab a screwdriver through it, it's rotten" test. But that only works if A) you don't have tile, and B) you're already planning on replacing any linoleum (or whatever else you've got on top of the subfloor).

Dylan...hates plumbing
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread! Thanks Kimbo for getting it started!

Sorry to hear about your water pressure issues. We have taken on the joys of an older home also ( circa 1850's) which has been updated in interesting manifestations over the years. This includes the labyrinth of pipes and fittings under it. Most of the copper has been replaced, however it wasn't replaced with the size pipes that provide for better pressure so we will be changing those all out this spring. The size of your pipes may have something to do with it, along with what has been mentioned earlier in the metal decay itself.

We just replaced the gauge on the water holding tank and the nipple was totally clogged going into the filter. We are on a well, so I'm not sure if you even have a tank, so that may not be something you can check. Repairing those two things increased our pressure 3X.

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be something manageable for you!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Hey Kimbo

JAGG is the honorary DIY home flipper...I think you have his number...give him a call! He loves to talk shop

I do remember the galvanized pipes nightmare. My ex recently tore out the 1912 plumbing in his bathroom and it was exactly as Dylan said...rotted from the inside in. Looked like water logged tree roots that had been eatten by termites...YUCK! That can for sure affect your water pressure.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Yay for the DIYers!

Our new countertops are FINALLY in! I cant WAIT to be rid of the existing country blue ones!

As per usual, I am expecting what should be fairly straightforward to be ANYTHING but... By the end of the day, we will have shiney newness and hopefully Jess won't have too much more "tinsel" at hys temples!

Wish us luck!

Christie
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Do you know if you shut the water off at the vstreet, do you have to be concerned about how open it is when you turn it back on--is there such a thing as to much pressure turning it back on into the house?

Kimbo, yes you need to !. Shut it off at the main first, replace, add a water pressure regulator, ask at the store what pressure it should be set to.
2. When you get ready to turn on the water, open all the faucets in the house, this will prevent a bang to the pipes from the sudden pressure return.
Good luck buddy!
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
If you have galvanized pipes, the problem with your low pressure water could be the pipes themselves. When they rot, the rot from the inside in. Thus, you won't see any damage until you cut the pipe open...at which point, you'll see all the rot clogging up the pipe. I had this in a house once. And it was the hot water pipes. I started in the bathtub, and ended up replacing all the pipes...allllllllll the way to the street. It was a nightmare.

For the rot in front of the tub: If you're planning on replacing it anyways, you can always try to old "If you can stab a screwdriver through it, it's rotten" test. But that only works if A) you don't have tile, and B) you're already planning on replacing any linoleum (or whatever else you've got on top of the subfloor).

Dylan...hates plumbing
I hate plumbing too!!

This is actually my fear, Dylan. I've been warned about galvanized plumbing a lot. I've also been warned about the knob and tube electrical in the house. It's a 1942 house that I have very little attachement too.

I am not fixing the house up for my pleasure and am trying to put as little financially into it, I want to put it on the market--this is my last year in Seattle. Chances are someone will buy this house and rip it a part or even rip it down and put a bigger house on the property.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I really need to give in and crawl under the house--not my favorite thing to do. I know I have new copper coming in from the street, I need to get under there and see if I can find some of this stuff, but now I know a few things to look for.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Jack- Thank you...I've been tracing my lines and cleaning screens and there is a ton of crap in them. This weekend it looks like I will be spending my time under the house which just thrills the hell out of me!!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Shit--I'm not liking what I found. I crawled under the house and I can see the copper coming into the house, it looks like there is a regulator in place where they have tied the copper and the galvanized together. The main galvanized line coming in looks clean and rust free.

What is scaring the hell out of me is what I see coming out of the bathroom wall (under the house). I found one of the pipes with a very small drip coming out of it and is right next to a dime size rust spot--I suspect this is the major culprit and is ready to go--however when looking at the array of joints and lines I see quite a few rusty spots but no other visible drips. I am really having a hard time figuring out where this one line with the drip is going to and quite frankly think it is one of the lines out of the water heater.

This is what is really bothering me--it is sitting right next to my furnace and right by one of the cement slabs that is holding one of my major wall structures--I don't have a full slab, it's all dirt under there with the exception of these obvious reinforced area's to hold up a wall in the house. That slab does not look to stable to me as the dirt is removed from atleast 1/2 of the underside. I am really concerned if the water pipe broke what other damage it has the potential of causing.

Jack this is my question--what are the chances it would explode? Or is it just going to drip and the leak will get bigger? The leak is sitting in a bad spot-right where the pipe is coming thru the floor-. I need time to get some quotes -- I am thinking it is time to open the damn wall and do all the plumbing--at the same time I am going to have them put in a tankless gas water heater. Do you think this is an emergency or will be soon?

The good news is that the furnace has a new air filter and I got to go to home depot today!!

I'm sitting here debating on whether to open that wall up today---this is a '42 house--when you open these walls they flat ass stink.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

I might add that the rot does not seem to be too bad from what I can tell--I did quite a bit of jabbing with the screw driver and didn't find and really bad spots other than the spot I already know about so I think fixing the floor is going to be easy. I am going to tile the floor so I already know I am going to put in the cement floorboard.

Last edited by Jackhammer; 12-12-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
(((sorry Kimbo I accidently hit the edit button on your post)))

Good news.
If you can see ANY rot from beneath the floor in the crawl area, make sure to cut a board that will fit between the floor joists and use a few 1x2 to scab it up. Otherwise a termite inspector will call it and charge you to do the same thing.
I'll check this out when I get to working in the bathroom--still projected for Jan of 2010.

Jack I cannot thank you enough--

The game plan is that tomorrow at 0600 I will begin taking down the wall on the opposite side of the bathroom plumbing, at 0830 my friend will be here to train me in the art of plumbing. She thinks we will have it done by noon but what is not done she is going to leave me to do and will check back in on me after she gets done with her racing. We are going to drop the gas lines in for a gas tankless water heater and for a dryer while we are at it. I'm working on the water heater to buy--I think the Bosch Aquastar that is 6.4 GPM, it meets all the criteria for the energy credit. She'll check in with her distributor for a price break and by next weekend, if not sooner we will get that installed and get the wall back up.

We are going to completely replumb all the pipes with the exception of the main pipe in--for now we are going to let that one be and concentrate on everything else. Once I know something like this is going on I have to get if fixed -- I'd be constantly crawling under the house checking on the pipe and I really hate crawling around under there.

I sure hope I can find my knee pads, I know I'm going to be needing them. One thing I am really glad I did is part of the sale agreement on my house was that the prior owner had to clean out the crawl space and install new visqeen (sp?). I've had the house 10 years now but that plastic is still pretty clean and the crawl space seems to be rodent free. The spiders don't bother me but I hate the cobwebs on my face--I take a broom in with me to take care of that.

Wish me luck--I've never plumbed a house before especially after a plumbing crash course.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

I LOVE this thread! What a good start Kimbo - although sorry you have to deal with these kinds of repairs and such. They certainly are ongoing for homeowners. I will be back!

Great advice thus far!!

WILD

*Plumber, huh Jack??????
WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #17
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
I LOVE this thread! What a good start Kimbo - although sorry you have to deal with these kinds of repairs and such. They certainly are ongoing for homeowners. I will be back!

Great advice thus far!!

WILD

*Plumber, huh Jack??????
Don't you have some wood to chop---

I've been so stuck on the plumbing thing I haven't been able to get into the wood chopping thread.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #18
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

This might be slightly off-topic, but i am wondering how people get their outdoor holiday lights so straight and evenly spaced?
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
This might be slightly off-topic, but i am wondering how people get their outdoor holiday lights so straight and evenly spaced?
I've heard they cook a great dinner and invite a butch over and have them do the hanging--! Probably not what ya wanted to hear. Honestly, I've never hung outdoor christmas lights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimbo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #20
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
Don't you have some wood to chop---

I've been so stuck on the plumbing thing I haven't been able to get into the wood chopping thread.
__

Either has anyone else once the "gnomes" invaded!

I will say this, (little bit I KNOW?, kinda...) when I bought this place, it was all customized threaded on the property galvanized piping. My father [back then] came right in (from HIS house building time period, upgrading a large landmark town building, -and just working with things knowledge, I guess) and said "easy replacing that piece". He measured, had it threaded at the local little town hardware store. That lasted years.

And I actually viewed ALL of this "exposed" metal plumbling as something akin to "Lloyd Wright" home artwork! LOL!!

But, I recently got copper replacement. At some point prior to this, (to add on) I adapted some plastic plumbing which is super easy and inexpensive to do of course, but I didn't like it! AT all.

Like some have said though, if you are in it for the LONG haul and have concerns... the galvanized does clog up from the inside. I would have thought that with a smaller diameter the water pressure would have been "greater"...(?) Want to explain that to me Jack?

But, it was well water sediment in mine from over the years, not "rotten from the inside out", that I could tell anyway. Maybe I was misinformed though. (One very unique description of this here, I'll tell ya!! Thanks. LOL!! Blech!!!)

I'm worried about the friggin' carpenter ants here. Whatcha got for that Jack? I've done many things over the years here. Little bastards.

Hi all! Happy SNL!!

WILD

*OH! Hot water tanks should be flushed out regularly, I "think". I did anyway. Now, I have the "hot water on demand", tankless "thingie"... (popular in Paris!). I believe that cut my gas bill down as well! But, like Jack stated, if it is that old, I wouldn't flush that out now unless you want to kayak out of your house!
WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote