Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Something we do at work is to try and catch someone doing something right. "Something right" can be something as small as opening the door for someone whose hands are full, to calling a vendor in the middle of the night who's on the other side of the world, to saving an order that may not have been processed without someone doing some research on a problem.

Our company purchased some inexpensive craft-like starfish that we give to people who are caught doing something right. 10 starfish equal $10.00.

And I often give out movie tickets to anyone who finds an error in any of our products (my manager supports this).

It's not much, but I think it does help to create a friendly and supportive workplace.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #22
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

As someone at my company who has had the opportunity to work in both a management and non-management position, I have been fortunate enough to see it from both sides in terms of morale.

From an employee standpoint, its important that I do my part in keeping team morale up, by being an active member of the team. I give praise to my fellow team mates, interact with them on a regular basis, and really just follow the basic principles of being a good person.

As a Manager, its important for me to make sure I point out the good things my direct reports do, and not just the bad. I have found that if I make myself available to them, and I mean truly available to them, even if its because they are just having an off day, that it makes them feel more comfortable in their job, and that they do a better job, and enjoy it while they do it. I'm very transparent in my management style, so I call it out when someones rocking the numbers, and the team as a whole seems to enjoy it because they know if they shine, they will get that recognition. On that same note, I empower all of them to shine, and I make that incredibly clear in all of my interactions with them.

If management sets the right tone, and encourages growth, gives praise where praise is due, it really goes a long way. Its amazing what a simple hey, you are doing a killer job, keep it up, can do!

My company as a whole, also embraces both positive, and negative experiences. For positive, we have a love machine (get your minds outta the gutter folks!) where if a fellow employee does something good, we send them love, every love they get has a dollar value tied to it and we get a love bonus at the end of each quarter. That being said, we also embrace the negative, if we make a mistake, we own it, we learn from it. We do shrek ears. Oh yes, if we fub up, we put on shrek ears, so people can ask us what we did to earn them (yes earn...mistakes happen, it means you tried something different, and are learning from it), and it fosters an environment where you are not ridiculed, but it becomes a learning opportunity for everyone.

Morale is a top down sort of deal, it comes from the culture your executives set, and it runs down stream from there. It takes everyone in every position to help promote positive morale, and it really only takes one person to bring down morale.

I guess my take away would be, lead by example. Praise makes you feel good, so make sure you are passing it on. If you are looking for other types of things you can do, write an actual hand written thank you note when you want to thank someone. I send care packages to my direct reports to show my appreciation. I have a lot of remote staff, so I let them go buy themselves dinner, and have them expense it, so that its on the company. There are lots of physical things you can do to make people feel good, but a lot of it really comes from the culture you set within the company, and the team itself.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 01:17 AM   #23
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

My co workers really need a morale boost. We work 7 days a week 8 to 10 hours and no days off in the month of December. Everyone is testy and really grating each others nerves. Something needs to give, we deserve something for our work besides a paycheck like maybe free lunches dinners etc while we are working on weekends.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:41 AM   #24
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
My co workers really need a morale boost. We work 7 days a week 8 to 10 hours and no days off in the month of December. Everyone is testy and really grating each others nerves. Something needs to give, we deserve something for our work besides a paycheck like maybe free lunches dinners etc while we are working on weekends.
Maybe you and a friend could meet with Human Services (or personnel) to arrange such lunches for yourself and co-workers. Many personnel departments are just looking for ways to increase job satisfaction and motivation. This might just boost morale until employees also start kicking something fun. Suggest it, and let us know the outcome.

To the bosses, a happy worker is a more productive work. In other works, the more benefits they give you, the happier you'll be. A happy worker makes more money for any company. It's just basic capitalism.
Good Luck!
cathexis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cathexis For This Useful Post: