Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > THE BUTCHFEMMEPLANET PLANET > United States Forums > Nebraska Forums

Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Tragedy in Omaha; protests at funeral

WTF is up with protests at funerals? A friend sent me this story because I lived in Omaha and went to high school there. I didn't attend Millard South, but I knew people who did. Reading about how cruel and fucking rude people can be blows me away as you'll read towards the end of this story.

Tragedy in Omaha; protests at funeral

By NANCY HICKS / Lincoln Journal Star

Friends and family of Robert Butler Jr. filled the Southwood Lutheran Church sanctuary to mourn the young man and the tragedy that ended two lives this past week.

Pastor Greg Olson offered a quiet celebration of Butler's life while acknowledging the terrible decision Butler made during a period of despair.
"He did something that no one should do," Olson said during the service Saturday morning.

On Wednesday, Butler, 17, shot the principal and the vice principal of Millard South High School, where he was a student. Vice Principal Vicki Kaspar died from the wounds. And Butler took his own life.

Outside the sanctuary, the family set up a table with pictures of young Robert, growing up, with friends and family. Olson remembered the boy with the impish smile who wanted to go into law enforcement, who had many friends, who always had his hand up during confirmation class.

Butler attended Sheridan Elementary School, Scott Middle School and Lincoln Southwest High School and was a member of the church and its youth group.
Olson asked friends and members of the Southwood church to comfort Butler's family and friends while also remembering the others whose lives were changed by Butler's decision: the assistant principal who died; Principal Curtis Case, who is still recuperating; and the students at two schools -- Millard South, where the shooting occurred, and Lincoln's Southwest, where Butler was a student until this fall.

We will probably never know why Robert made the decisions he did, said Olson. Robert was in despair, without hope, the pastor said.
He turned inward; he isolated himself. He turned off his phone. He did not reach out for help, Olson said. And if there is any lesson to be learned from this tragedy, it is not to isolate during those times of hopelessness, he said.

The pastor spoke particularly to the many young people at the service, asking them to turn to others they trust if they ever get to that place of hopelessness and despair.Olson also said that a God of love can "heal the hurt" of Butler's friends and family and of those who know and care about Case and Kaspar.

In the prayer that followed the funeral message, Pastor Sara Spohr said:
"Lord God, we are full of questions, saddened beyond belief, and searching for some kind of answer. We pray for your peace to rest upon all those affected by this senseless tragedy."

Olson also briefly acknowledged the half dozen protesters from the Topeka, Kan., Westboro Baptist Church who held hateful signs at an intersection north of the church before the service and whose news release announcing the protest closed with "Thank God for more dead Nebraskans."

Those who mourn Butler can become either "bitter or better," Olson said.
Those protesters are bitter. But those who knew Butler can choose to be better, he said.

Police had an overt presence outside the funeral, with police cars parked near the protesters and near a small counter protest nearby.
This was a large funeral, and the police always have some type of presence when there are protests and counter protests, said Lincoln Police Capt. Joseph Wright.

Last edited by Jet; 01-08-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Dutch Leonard

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch

Tournaments Won: 7

Dutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST Reputation

F**cking Westboro. There has to be a special place in Hell for them.

"They will know we are Christians by our Love"- not those guys.
Dutch Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

What a terrible thing. I am confused by the protest. Is there something that I'm missing?
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

This is the Phelps gang. They've been protesting funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq and claiming that they died because the US has homosexuals. Various biker groups will often protect the funerals against them but they don't get everywhere.

Welcome to freedom of speech.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Yeah Fred Phelps they are awful they protest everywhere. When I lived in KC MO they protested all the time there because of gays and lesbians and everybody really, its a real shame...
Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxnrope View Post
What a terrible thing. I am confused by the protest. Is there something that I'm missing?
I get what you are saying, wax. Though Phelps is a class A boil on the butt of mankind, I still am not exactly sure why they would be protesting the funeral of a teenage boy who killed a Vice Principal and shot the Principal. Is it a race thing for them? Agism? Guns? Or are they showing up at any and all funerals now?

I do my best to not follow the news on this group, as my head would surely explode, so pardon my igrorance if I have missed a very clear point here, other than the travesty of losing such a young life and someone who opted to help children mold their futures. All I see is a very sad situation.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote