Old 12-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Hey, Anya. I'm lost. What is the point you are trying to get across by having the below article and is it somehow in response to dee's comment? I am totally missing the boat on what the article is saying, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Until recently, California consistently had some of the highest gas prices in the US, in spite of having refineries.

I paid $2.69 a gallon this week.

California Oil Refinery Locations and Capacities
Classification of refiners based on crude oil capacity (barrels per day)
Information as of November 2014

Refinery Name Barrels Per Day CARB Diesel CARB Gas

Tesoro-Carson 240,000 Yes. YES
Chevron U.S.A. Inc.,
El Segundo Refinery 276,000 Yes Yes
Chevron U.S.A. Inc.,
Richmond Refinery 245,271 Yes Yes
Tesoro Refining & Marketing
Company, Golden Eagle
Refinery. 166,000 Yes. Yes
Shell Oil Products US, Martinez Refinery 156,400 Yes Yes
ExxonMobil Refining & Supply Company,
Torrance Refinery 149,500 Yes Yes
Valero Benicia Refinery 132,000 Yes Yes
Phillips 66, Wilmington Refinery 139,000 Yes Yes
Tesoro Refining & Marketing Company,
Wilmington Refinery 103,800 Yes Yes
Valero Wilmington Refinery 78,000 Yes Yes
Phillips 66, Rodeo San Francisco Refinery 78,400 Yes Yes
ALON USA, Bakersfield Refinery 66,000 Yes Yes
Paramount Petroleum Corporation,
Paramount Refinery 50,000 No Yes
Phillips 66, Santa Maria Refinery 41,800 No No
Edgington Oil Company, Long Beach Refinery 26,000 No No
Kern Oil & Refining Company, Bakersfield
Refinery. 26,000. Yes. No
San Joaquin Refining Company Inc.,
Bakersfield refinery. 15,000 Yes No
Greka Energy, Santa Maria Refinery 9,500 No No
Lunday Thagard, South Gate Refinery 8,500 No No
Valero Wilmington Asphalt Refinery 6,300 No No

Note: Data on this table represents total crude oil capacity not gasoline, distillate production, diesel fuel production or production of other products. Production potential varies depending on time of year and status of the refinery. A rule of thumb is that roughly 50 percent of total capacity is gasoline production (about 1.0 million barrels of gasoline - 42 million gallons - is produced per day).

Source: California Energy Commission Fuels Office Staff.

Terminal Facilities

California's nearly 100 terminals receive petroleum and petroleum products by tanker, barge, pipeline, rail or truck. Most of California's terminals are marine terminals. At these facilities petroleum or product is transferred from or to tankers or barges. Tankers loaded with Alaska North Slope petroleum, for example, enter marine terminals in northern and southern California, where the crude oil is then sent to refineries by pipeline for processing. An example of pipeline receipts of petroleum at a terminal is heavy California petroleum produced in the Bakersfield area that is sent by pipeline to a refinery at Martinez.

Terminals also serve as refiner's wholesale distribution points for products. Product, such as gasoline, is sold to distributors (jobbers) who then sell to consumers through the distributors' own retail stations. The distributor may also resell the gasoline to other station dealers. Gasoline can also be sold directly to station dealers from the terminal. The marketing structure differs depending on the type of product being sold.

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/petroleum/refineries.html

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,440 Times in 6,887 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

In Charlotte the cheapest I've seen is 2.47. The norm seems to be 2.52-2.55 right now. It's about .10 cheaper (or more) in SC which is not far... If I'm going that way I get it but I'm not going to SC anytime soon....
Old 12-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't let the gal part of my screen name fool ya I,m ALL butch!

1 Highscore

Thanked 11,735 Times in 2,469 Posts
firegal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default ...

It dropped .13cents over night now at $2.44.... Love it
firegal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

The lowest price that I saw today, driving about town was $2.29. I devoutly hope that it keeps going lower, and stays that way, permanently!
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

$2.49 it's the Northeast soooo.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Hey, Anya. I'm lost. What is the point you are trying to get across by having the below article and is it somehow in response to dee's comment? I am totally missing the boat on what the article is saying, I suppose.

Yes, I understand that. Rather than being direct, I was indirectly but clumsily responding to Dee's post about decreasing gas prices causing oil rig workers to lose their jobs.

Production continues here in California, despite the drop in prices. However, what happens in the south may indeed be different than what happens in the west.

When I started to research why gas prices go up and down in California and how it ultimately affects us, the consumer; I realized it is a far bigger issue than on the surface of what we pay for gas.

I do apologize for deviating from the intent of the thread, which is "What are you paying for gas right now"!

It is a great thread!

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. Rather than being direct, I was indirectly but clumsily responding to Dee's post about decreasing gas prices causing oil rig workers to lose their jobs.

Production continues here in California, despite the drop in prices. However, what happens in the south may indeed be different than what happens in the west.

When I started to research why gas prices go up and down in California and how it ultimately affects us, the consumer; I realized it is a far bigger issue than on the surface of what we pay for gas.

I do apologize for deviating from the intent of the thread, which is "What are you paying for

gas right now"!

It is a great thread!
No, please post anything that might help us understand! I have been surprised (and pleased) by falling prices...but WHY are they falling, and when are they going to hike them again?

As you know, here in California prices are down over $2 per gallon....the oil companies are not known for their low prices and lack of billions in profits; it worries me that we are going to see huge jumps just when we have gotten used to having some spare change in our pockets.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I do apologize for deviating from the intent of the thread, which is "What are you paying for gas right now"!

It is a great thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
No, please post anything that might help us understand! I have been surprised (and pleased) by falling prices...but WHY are they falling, and when are they going to hike them again?

As you know, here in California prices are down over $2 per gallon....the oil companies are not known for their low prices and lack of billions in profits; it worries me that we are going to see huge jumps just when we have gotten used to having some spare change in our pockets.
Anya, Ms.Tinkerbelly is right, I am interested as well why prices are so low. It seems like an appropriate direction for the thread.

I hope that dee comes back and explains. Honestly, my understanding is that the oil production has not changed and the talk of less work is Republican propaganda. I thought maybe this is where you were going...that is why I was so interested in understanding the article.

Kelt? (I was thinking I could go google it, but why do that when Kelt already knows the answer?)

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

I have several cousins that work in the oilfield industry and they aren't being laid off, they are actually working overtime drilling more locations and re-opening the closed pumping sites that were shut down during the 1980's to preserve our oil in the ground for future needs. There is also a boom in a northern state of one of the Dakota's that is drilling like mad there and hiring new oilfield workers. My neighbor's son in law took a job up north in the Dakota's drilling for oil. He makes more money there than he did here in the south working on a drilling rig.

Also, here is an article that helps us to understand why gas prices are falling :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6062056.html

ETA: gas here East of Dallas an hour is 2.13/gal and dropping everyday.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Hey y'all... I really don't want to ruin the spirit of everyone's fun while WE (of course I am enjoying our $2.16 gallon) enjoy a break in our expenses wherever we can get them.

It has always been like this down here, low gas prices = oil field workers out of work. From what I understand, simply put, when the demand goes down, prices drop and the oil stays in the earth. They just don't need people on the rigs out in the gulf, which is where our people go. I do believe they shut certain rigs down until the demand goes up.

Right now someone in my family is sitting at home until further notice, because of the low demand in the oil field right now. He will be put back to work but for now he is laid off.

I may be wrong, but that is how I always understood how it works.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,378 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This article in the Economist "Cheaper Oil: Winners And Losers" is a pretty good look at the global nature of this round of shifting oil prices and addresses some of the region specific outcomes of the current situation. Bear in mind it is about seven weeks old, but the underpinnings are still accurate. And there are charts!

Here is a short excerpt on the effects in America and some of the extraction methods:

"The impact on America will be mixed because the country is simultaneously the world’s largest consumer, importer and producer of oil. On balance cheaper oil will help, but not as much as it used to. Analysts at Goldman Sachs reckon that cheaper oil and lower interest rates should add about 0.1 percentage points to growth in 2015. But that will be more than offset by a stronger dollar, slower global growth and weaker stockmarkets.

Extracting oil from shale is expensive. So when the oil price drops, America is one of the places most likely to pull back (Arctic and Canadian tar-sands producers are even more vulnerable). According to Michael Cohen of Barclays, a bank, a $20 drop in the world oil price reduces American producers’ earnings before interest by 20%, and only four-fifths of shale reserves are economic to extract using current technology with Brent around $85. How quickly production will fall as a result, though, is unclear, since producers’ costs vary and some have locked in prices via hedging. The impact will also vary by region. “If I’m in California, it’s pretty clear-cut that this is a good-news story,” says Michael Levi of the Council on Foreign Relations, a think-tank. “If I were in North Dakota [the biggest shale-oil state], I would be a lot more nervous.”

America is a net importer, so lower prices mean Americans get to keep more of their money and spend it at home. But the stimulative impact is less than it used to be, since imports are becoming less important, and oil is shrinking as a share of the economy."

There's also the fact that the Russian economy is basically folding in on itself due their (Putin's) reliance on the earlier high price profits to escape the effects of sanctions. Here's an article from Al Jazeera: Russian rouble in 'catastrophic decline'

Oh yeah, right now I've got $2.29 gal.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
Hey y'all... I really don't want to ruin the spirit of everyone's fun while WE (of course I am enjoying our $2.16 gallon) enjoy a break in our expenses wherever we can get them.

It has always been like this down here, low gas prices = oil field workers out of work. From what I understand, simply put, when the demand goes down, prices drop and the oil stays in the earth. They just don't need people on the rigs out in the gulf, which is where our people go. I do believe they shut certain rigs down until the demand goes up.

Right now someone in my family is sitting at home until further notice, because of the low demand in the oil field right now. He will be put back to work but for now he is laid off.

I may be wrong, but that is how I always understood how it works.
According to this dee, they are actually drilling MORE which is why the prices are down. I'm sorry someone in your family isn't working.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/...st-since-1972/

EDIT:

<Kelt's boring post> Hey, man, thanks! Good stuff, good stuff...<cough>

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

It is a great thread!

It's a thread about gas prices and I believe open for conversation, thank you for posting. I am DELIGHTED to be having a conversation on the sight again! I so get tired of one word threads!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post: