Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
dancer611

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
fairy princess :)
Relationship Status:
single

dancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Are butches really a dying breed?

I've heard time and time again that butches are "dying out," that there are tons more femmes than butches and that that trend will likely continue. I haven't been out long and don't know much about the overall community. Is this true, or a myth that people in femme-heavy areas like to throw around?
dancer611 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dancer611 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,890 Times in 1,155 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

Funny that, I feel the same way about femmes. I think they must be all out of our flavor.
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,124 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

LOL mr. sumshine ... I love that flavor !!
~ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~ocean For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
musicman

How Do You Identify?:
NA

musicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputationmusicman Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know about any other butches but I do know this butch is very much here and alive. I'm not going anywhere.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to musicman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

I do believe that is myth...and I think it's a geographical thing. I have said for years that there are really no femmes where I live. Plenty of butches. Perhaps we need a resurging of the femmes in my town!! I sure wouldn't mind!

I think people say that because they want a certain type of butch or femme and when they can't find one they say there are none left. So not true.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

Emphatic NO!!! Butches are NOT a dying breed! I would argue that one of the reasons this myth is perpetuating is from a small, but persistent, group of radical feminist lesbians who are bent on somehow proving that the Trans community is recruiting Butches and that Butches are getting the message from Transmen and Transgender Butches, that they are "too Butch" - not possible - and that they should transition, AND that these Butches are following along like sheep to a slaughter. NOT TRUE. I'm not saying that there aren't Butches pressured to transition - I know it does happen - I have had a couple of friends tell me about other people pressuring them to label themselves TG or to consider transition. But I don't think that this is happening on the levels that some radfems would have us believe, and I don't think most Butches, even if pressured, are going to step off into something so major just because someone else tells them to. Not all Transmen even identified as Butch prior to transition - and Butch is NOT a precursor to transition! I think we have a huge population of wonderful, strong, PROUD Butches. I think one explanation is that perhaps there's been some relocation due to the economy, perhaps more concentrations in larger cities, and less in rural areas. But I don't think you have to look too far. I have some amazing Butch friends and I love them dearly - and I think they are awesome, brave people!
BUTCH does not = TRANS! Butch is an identity all it's own, and it isn't going anywhere!

Last edited by SelfMadeMan; 03-29-2012 at 07:28 AM.
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Thanked 4,721 Times in 1,270 Posts
Scorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST Reputation

Perfectly said G...

Ladi & I have said that over and over. I (nor she) has ever seen a butch-fem couple out where we live and wish we had "more" of a community in that sense.

However, there seems to be a good amount of butches here. Maybe we just "don't know" if the females are fem or not. Meaning, it's very hard to detect or that just "may be" in general. Or am I just too oblivated to notice??? I guess that would be a whole other topic. I don't know.

That's why this website (and especially the yearly Reunion(s)) not only for me, but especially for Ladi is so very important. There are women (fems) there just like "herself" which she automatically has bond/bonded with.

Whenever we come home from being with our b-f family we of course have "bash crash" but the "yearning" for more peeps like ourselves out in our neck of the woods makes us sad until we get back to what we know as our "normal life". I miss having our community within arms length.

Hope this makes sense and if it doesn't, you'll have to excuse me because I have so much in my head that it gets a little difficult for me to express sometimes which I believe is A.D.D.!

Best,
-Scorp-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
I do believe that is myth...and I think it's a geographical thing. I have said for years that there are really no femmes where I live. Plenty of butches. Perhaps we need a resurging of the femmes in my town!! I sure wouldn't mind! .
Scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
FemmeAllae

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

FemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST ReputationFemmeAllae Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
I do believe that is myth...and I think it's a geographical thing. I have said for years that there are really no femmes where I live. Plenty of butches. Perhaps we need a resurging of the femmes in my town!! I sure wouldn't mind!

I think people say that because they want a certain type of butch or femme and when they can't find one they say there are none left. So not true.
Plenty of butches, you say?! Where do you live?!
FemmeAllae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FemmeAllae For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Shadownthemind

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
me
Relationship Status:
single

Shadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST ReputationShadownthemind Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
I don't know about any other butches but I do know this butch is very much here and alive. I'm not going anywhere.
And this butch is here and not going any where
Shadownthemind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shadownthemind For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,694 Times in 7,718 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

as is this one...present & accounted for....grins
Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Christy51274

How Do You Identify?:
100% High Femme, Submissive
Preferred Pronoun?:
Call me whatever you please.
Relationship Status:
Single

Christy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer611 View Post
I've heard time and time again that butches are "dying out," that there are tons more femmes than butches and that that trend will likely continue. I haven't been out long and don't know much about the overall community. Is this true, or a myth that people in femme-heavy areas like to throw around?
@Dancer:

I'm so glad you've brought this up. Whenever I go out, femmes are the majority. I live near Baltimore and haven't checked out the D.C. scene yet, but butches, FtM trans guys, etc. are rare indeed! Oh well...I'm not really seeking them out, but would be nice to see more of them around.

Christy51274 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christy51274 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy51274 View Post
@Dancer:

I'm so glad you've brought this up. Whenever I go out, femmes are the majority. I live near Baltimore and haven't checked out the D.C. scene yet, but butches, FtM trans guys, etc. are rare indeed! Oh well...I'm not really seeking them out, but would be nice to see more of them around.
actually I am tired of this....

stop looking where alcohol is prevalent and the music is so loud you always are saying 'what...huh....what" as you look around for the maybe next not perfect one standing at the bar who is bar dancing sexier than the one you thought might be a butch you want..........

please......
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
SugarFemme

How Do You Identify?:
*Fierce Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Singular

Thanked 4,463 Times in 854 Posts
SugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST ReputationSugarFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Toughy, I TOTALLY agree with you on this. If someone is saying that want a relationship, bars typically are not the place to look for one. Between the music, the inherent issues with alcohol consumption and the all around "pick-up" attitude at a bar, chances are you are not going to find the "one". With that said, when I was 21 and just coming out, that was where I drifted to. Now, at 50, I have no interest in that type of environment for finding someone or really even to hang out in. If one looks, unless you are in BFE, most metropolitan cities have a variety of clubs, interest groups etc which do not include bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
actually I am tired of this....

stop looking where alcohol is prevalent and the music is so loud you always are saying 'what...huh....what" as you look around for the maybe next not perfect one standing at the bar who is bar dancing sexier than the one you thought might be a butch you want..........

please......
SugarFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SugarFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
AlexHunter

How Do You Identify?:
With a greeting and a handshake, typically
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

AlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST ReputationAlexHunter Has the BEST Reputation

I do agree with the other posters - whether butches are a dying breed may depend upon where you are. I lived in DC for eight years and there were lots of butches. The butch-femme dynamic was a relatively common thing, especially the pinup femme + dapper butch pairing. Butch on butch was equally common.

Here in Houston, TX, butches seem to be much less prevalent, though not completely extinct. From my observations, there are plenty of people here who I'd say were somewhere in the middle.

I also agree that self-identifying as butch is not as common as it used to be. The butch-presenting people of my generation (I'm 28) have many more words to describe themselves. Terms like "stud," "boi," "genderqueer," and "androgyne" were not around for the generations before me. Some of the people who identify as the aforementioned terms also identify as butch and some people can find a version of the dynamic without the label.

However, I have met several masculine-of-center folks who have a deep aversion to the word "butch" despite looking the part and oftentimes "playing" it, too. They seem to dislike the implications of the word or feel it's not quite their word for some other reason.

I personally embrace the term butch (as well as genderqueer/transgender to represent my alternate gender identity and androgyne - by the dictionary definition - to describe my physical appearance) because I am a queer history buff and I appreciate the path the butches of old paved for the butches of my generation to be more readily accepted and because butch means masculine, which I am.

I (and plenty of other butches, I'm sure) have sometimes felt femmes were a dying breed. This has caused me to date my share of feminine-looking women who are usually bisexual and don't actively claim the term "femme" even if they mesh well with me.

I am more than a little old fashioned in some ways and the complete opposite of traditional in others. When it comes to the dynamic I have with a femme, I am what some would define as an old school butch and I definitely try to be a gentleman...

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde
AlexHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AlexHunter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

Yes.... they must b a dying breed, cuz must b y am still single . "sigh""

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
xoxo

Thanked 21,402 Times in 6,744 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer611 View Post
Possibly, life is in a constant rate/state of change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
ConCrtAnge1

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Super single

ConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST ReputationConCrtAnge1 Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

i have went through and read this post. Although I am new here I felt a need to post... I live in So. central Il. And around here it seems there are more Andros then anything or a lot of butch on butch... Leaving a lot of femmes.. I am not a femme on femme kinda girl. I want my true butch. Don't get me wrong I want a true butch but one that enjoys her womyn side in bed ... A butch that know the true song and dance..
ConCrtAnge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ConCrtAnge1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCrtAnge1 View Post
i have went through and read this post. Although I am new here I felt a need to post... I live in So. central Il. And around here it seems there are more Andros then anything or a lot of butch on butch... Leaving a lot of femmes.. I am not a femme on femme kinda girl. I want my true butch. Don't get me wrong I want a true butch but one that enjoys her womyn side in bed ... A butch that know the true song and dance..
First, welcome to the site! I just have a question. I read your post, and I just wanted to ask for some clarification about what you wrote, specifically "A butch that knows the true song and dance."

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2014, 03:29 AM   #19
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Welcome aboard.

Don't get me wrong I want a true butch but one that enjoys her womyn side in bed ... A butch that know the true song and dance..

I am reading this as you want a butch who is comfortable receiving sexual activity/ pleasure as well as giving her partner pleasure. (Correct me if I am wrong, please) You may be able to meet some butches of this type on the Lesbian Zone threads. There are a couple specifically geared toward butches who share this quality. Good luck with that!

I do feel a need to add, that I was put off a little by your use of the phrase " the true song and dance". There is NO true song and dance. We each have a different drum, a different dance and I am willing to bet that each one is simply divine in their own right. It may have been easier for me to read, if perhaps you had said something like " someone who dances to the same dance I do"... When someone uses absolutes, like "the true", it is really off putting to me. I have no doubt you didn't mean it as a slight or anything, it just struck a hint of discord with me, so I felt a need to mention it.

I do wish you luck in meeting butches who suit your desires and hope you enjoy all of your visits at the planet.

Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 AM   #20
lamuymuyfem

How Do You Identify?:
old school femme, date butches and FtMs who like girls
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, la fabulosa
Relationship Status:
recalculating, recalculating

lamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I have to say, when I lived in Iowa, the straight farm women looked pretty butch…….. So looks are sometimes not helpful. BF is a complex dynamic, and it's not easy to find a compatible partner, period.
lamuymuyfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lamuymuyfem For This Useful Post: