Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > Other Sexualities And Identities

Old 09-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Isadora

How Do You Identify?:
Momma, Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
I am in love. Truly Madly Deeply

Thanked 2,128 Times in 560 Posts
Isadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST Reputation

I think it is about sex. That is why it is called bi-sexual. I have never had sex with a (omg what word do I use? breaths through a moment of language horror). But what do I know is that I have only been an out dyke for 35 years and it always meant the same.

Read me! www.leatherati.com
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

I self-ID as Queer. However, I -am- technically bisexual and will use that word when it's necessary to make my point or when I'm talking to someone who the word "Queer" is just too confusing for. I am legally married to a female (sex = female, gender = Butch) but things could have easily turned out differently for me. I am glad that things ended up how they ended up - because I think if I had ended up with a man that I would have lost my community...but I will never deny that the possibility of a legally binding monogamous relationship with a man was never off of the table for me.

For myself, the sex of the other person just does not figure in when I am evaluating if I am attracted to him/her. It's completely irrelevant.

Gender / gender presentation -does- factor in for me, however. I am attracted to masculine people. Butches and Men (both trans and non-trans) do it for me. (The only exceptions to that rule are Drew Barrymore and Rosario Dawson).

It's important to me that potential dates are clever, well-read, have irreverent senses of humour, like sarcasm, are politically compatible with me, have similar tastes in music, and interact with me the way I like being interacted with.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

I am so inspired by all of the posts, all of the honesty.

I think bisexuality is the ugly stepchild of the gay community sometimes. One of my nearest and dearest identifies as queer even though she's fully bisexual, simply because she's afraid of the stigma that both straight and gay communities associate with the term - either she can't make up her mind, she's too afraid of being fully gay, she's only half-gay because of politics, she's a whore, she's a traitor...there's a long list of inadequacies that get thrown at people who identify as bisexual.

My understanding of bisexuality is that it's just as fluid and dynamic as any other sexuality or gender.

Some people identify as lesbian because it's about the sex - women just turn them on in a way that other genders never could.

For others, lesbian is more about the emotional and spiritual connection than the sex.

I think the same is true for bisexuals - some people are equally attracted to both sexes but gravitate towards one or the other because of emotional or spiritual connections. Others are split right down the middle. I wish more people who were truly bisexual would come flying out of the closet to help dispel so many of the assumptions and myths.

Personally, I am attracted to pretty much any kind of person (XX, XY, male, female, man, woman, gender-fluid, gender-variant, gender-queer, butch, femme, hym, hir) as long as the energy and the attitude and the charisma are there. I am equal opportunity that way when it comes to what turns me on and makes me horny (though I will say sperm kind of grosses me out no matter how hot the guy is - LOL).

The deciding factor for me is that I'm just naturally drawn to women and folks with women-bodied experiences. I feel more comfortable and open. I feel a connection that blossoms organically when the person I'm interacting with intrinsically understands a little bit of my story.

I don't identify as bisexual because while the sexual attraction may exist, the emotional and spiritual connection reaches it's true depths with women, butches, and FTMs more than the XYs of the world.

If I weren't in a relationship, I wouldn't exclude any possibility, though - I believe circumstances are constantly changing my perception of the world. Matters of the heart can be messy and complicated and I try not to be too rigid in my definitions.

A personal note to betenoire - your post was fantastic. Your last point about the importance of finding a match for your personality, your passions, your style is spot-on. I love it.
Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Laerkin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Dragonfly

How Do You Identify?:
Queersexual Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
smiling real big

Dragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST ReputationDragonfly Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laerkin View Post
I am so inspired by all of the posts, all of the honesty.

I think bisexuality is the ugly stepchild of the gay community sometimes. One of my nearest and dearest identifies as queer even though she's fully bisexual, simply because she's afraid of the stigma that both straight and gay communities associate with the term - either she can't make up her mind, she's too afraid of being fully gay, she's only half-gay because of politics, she's a whore, she's a traitor...there's a long list of inadequacies that get thrown at people who identify as bisexual.

My understanding of bisexuality is that it's just as fluid and dynamic as any other sexuality or gender.

Some people identify as lesbian because it's about the sex - women just turn them on in a way that other genders never could.

For others, lesbian is more about the emotional and spiritual connection than the sex.

I think the same is true for bisexuals - some people are equally attracted to both sexes but gravitate towards one or the other because of emotional or spiritual connections. Others are split right down the middle. I wish more people who were truly bisexual would come flying out of the closet to help dispel so many of the assumptions and myths.

Personally, I am attracted to pretty much any kind of person (XX, XY, male, female, man, woman, gender-fluid, gender-variant, gender-queer, butch, femme, hym, hir) as long as the energy and the attitude and the charisma are there. I am equal opportunity that way when it comes to what turns me on and makes me horny (though I will say sperm kind of grosses me out no matter how hot the guy is - LOL).

The deciding factor for me is that I'm just naturally drawn to women and folks with women-bodied experiences. I feel more comfortable and open. I feel a connection that blossoms organically when the person I'm interacting with intrinsically understands a little bit of my story.

I don't identify as bisexual because while the sexual attraction may exist, the emotional and spiritual connection reaches it's true depths with women, butches, and FTMs more than the XYs of the world.

If I weren't in a relationship, I wouldn't exclude any possibility, though - I believe circumstances are constantly changing my perception of the world. Matters of the heart can be messy and complicated and I try not to be too rigid in my definitions.

A personal note to betenoire - your post was fantastic. Your last point about the importance of finding a match for your personality, your passions, your style is spot-on. I love it.
I so have to say I really get the fear stigma and traitor slinging that sometimes the bisexual experience. I have been left for the XY treated like a sex toy and been excluded as a possible parenting partner by my bisexual exes. I have seen both sides and I think our community is moving forward with terms like queer so we may look deeper an what we each project onto the term bisexual as a label.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
I think it is about sex. That is why it is called bi-sexual. I have never had sex with a (omg what word do I use? breaths through a moment of language horror). But what do I know is that I have only been an out dyke for 35 years and it always meant the same.
So, I presume, that you consider homosexuality to be about sex as well as heterosexuality? If not, may I ask by what possible logic you can use to say that bisexuality is about sex (since, according to you, that is why it's called sex) while neither hetero- nor homosexuality are about sex? Or do you concede as accurate the right-wing, anti-gay meme that anything that is *not* heterosexuality is about nothing more than sex?

cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post: