Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Stud_puppy1991

How Do You Identify?:
butch, gentleman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy, Hym, "Hey Handsome", and also throwing in a "Sup man" or a "You're sexy" will work
Relationship Status:
Back to Bachelorhood

Stud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Karate and Martial Arts, Anyone?

Anyone out there interested in or do karate? anyone a martial artist or just a fan of it? Personally, I am a martial artist and a fan of it as well. I love all styles of karate and various martial arts. Not to be confused with MMA. I have been doing karate since the 6th grade, starting out with tae knwon do, but I had to take a hiatus from it. I have only recently been back to karate after all this time, and i now do it in college and after school during my days when i am not in school or doing something else. As far as the karate that I do in college, I do dragon kenpo and shotokan karate. All of our curriculum focuses on the techniques of both, but the belt levels and belt testing, as well as the grading follow shotokan. In that sense, I am a yellow belt, or eighth kyu. Outside of the karate i do i college, I also continue to do tae knwon do and I am learning aikido. So, what about you guys, any fellow martial artists out there or any fans of it?
Stud_puppy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stud_puppy1991 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Miss_J

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
?

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,559 Times in 325 Posts
Miss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST ReputationMiss_J Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have always been a fan of martial arts. From being a little kid and watching my brothers practice Karate in the back yard to countless hours watching Martial Arts movies of all sorts. I remember in jr high a friend and his father did a demo at school and I just couldnt wait to start doing that too! but alas I am a fan and not a student.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,438 Times in 6,886 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

My daughter (youngest one) and I would love to take kickboxing.... Ive been looking into different schools in the area...it would be a nice indoor activity for the winter and mayhaps longer if we enjoy it My only concern is keeping the twins in the gei...or however you spell it
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

In my early twenties, I studied Kenpo Karate. Ed Parker was my Sibok. I stopped when my school started mixing in American Kenpo under Sigung Stephen Labounty. It wasn't because I disagreed with the teachings that I stopped. Rather, my interests were changing and I wanted to spend my time doing other things like rugby and choir.

~Wade Davis
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cara For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Stud_puppy1991

How Do You Identify?:
butch, gentleman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy, Hym, "Hey Handsome", and also throwing in a "Sup man" or a "You're sexy" will work
Relationship Status:
Back to Bachelorhood

Stud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
In my early twenties, I studied Kenpo Karate. Ed Parker was my Sibok. I stopped when my school started mixing in American Kenpo under Sigung Stephen Labounty. It wasn't because I disagreed with the teachings that I stopped. Rather, my interests were changing and I wanted to spend my time doing other things like rugby and choir.

I currently do dragon kenpo, which basically isn't too much different from what you trained in. Though, I will agree that I don't always find it good when instructors want to mix other styles. It makes it far more confusing. I mean, I currently do more than one style, but I still think that it's best to train them all individually.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stud_puppy1991 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
jac
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
butch stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine ones work best...
Relationship Status:
♥ engaged to spritz ♥

Thanked 16,492 Times in 2,972 Posts
jac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread and one my girl directed me to. Actually SP we talked a couple of times about martial arts when I was frequenting the chatroom last winter. Anyway, yes I trained in martial arts. I began in 91 and recieved my black in 99. My style is Ukedo, which translates to "The Way of the Defender." Not to be mistaken for Aikido. This is a traditional Japanese art combined with American Sport Fight. The traditional Japanese aspect derived from Wado Ryu. My instructor and his brother trained in both styles and combined the two to create Ukedo.

When I was in the thick of my training, we had anywhere from 200 to 300 students but the system was very traditional and strict and so we only have six black belts and I am the only female of the six. Since I last trained in our system my instructor's brother has passed away from cancer and now my instructor has the same cancer and is beginning chemo soon. I had to stop training because of a nasty leg sweep I received that left me with a torn ACL and Meniscus. Two knee surgeries later and another possibly this coming January, I no longer take chances with my knee. I am, however, am planning to keep the fight going and train in boxing.

I can go on for days about martial arts, my experiences, the fact that it is ingrained in me, and that martial arts IS my way of life. Everything I do in my day to day life always holds some sort of aspect to my martial arts and I always use it to explain my actions or the point I am trying to make or just use it as examples. Always!

I also trained in TKD and only went to yellow with that before moving on to Ukedo. While in Ukedo, I learned from various styles but never fully received degrees in any of those styles. I took what would work for me from those styles to enhance what I already have knowledge of in my style. I also trained in Kempo. I attended many sport fight tournaments and did lots of demonstrations and exhabitions. I've taught women's and children's self-defense and self-awareness courses and helped to assist and personally train with agents from the US Martials, and FBI as well as the local authorities and detectives.

Yes, martial arts is engrained in me and corses through my veins. I talk about it daily... In fact, today one of the kids at the shelter asked, when he overheard another staff and I talking about MMA and Ju Jitsu, if I thought I could take out a member from MMA in a match. I simply said "I would never go against the person to begin with." He understood that to mean that I knew I didn't stand a chance. I actually meant that it was pointless to try and defend myself in that particular conversation because there are so many factors that could turn the tables in that match-up, that niether is garaunteed a win or a loss.

Okay, I will stop for now... lots to share later and learn from others in here. Thanks for openning the thread!

I also was given my Sensei's dojo when I received my black. He was done instructing once he successful got me through the system. I had it for two years before my injury.

Last edited by jac; 09-28-2012 at 06:30 PM.
jac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Stud_puppy1991

How Do You Identify?:
butch, gentleman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Back to Bachelorhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone4play View Post
Great thread and one my girl directed me to. Actually SP we talked a couple of times about martial arts when I was frequenting the chatroom last winter. Anyway, yes I trained in martial arts. I began in 91 and recieved my black in 99. My style is Ukedo, which translates to "The Way of the Defender." Not to be mistaken for Aikido. This is a traditional Japanese art combined with American Sport Fight. The traditional Japanese aspect derived from Wado Ru. My instructor and his brother trained in both styles and combined the two to create Ukedo.

When I was in thick of my training, we had anywhere from 200 to 300 students but the system was very traditional and strict and so we only have six black belts and I am the only female of the six. Since I last trained in our system my instructor's brother has passed away from cancer and now my instructor has the same cancer and is beginning chemo soon. I had to stop training because of a nasty leg sweep I received that left me with a torn ACL and Meniscus. Two knee surgeries later and another possibly this coming January, I no longer take chances with my knee. I am, however, planning to keep the fight going and train in boxing.

I can go on for days about martial arts, my experiences and the fact that it is ingrained in me, that martial arts IS my way of life. Everything I do in my day to day life always holds some sort of aspect to my martial arts and I always use it to explain my actions or the point I am trying to make or just it as examples. Always!

I also trained in TKD and only went to yellow with that before moving on to Ukedo. While in Ukedo, I learned from various styles but fully received degrees in any of those styles. I took what would work for me from those styles to enhance what I already have knowledge of in my style. I also trained in Kempo. I attended many sport fight tournaments and did lots of demonstrations and exhabitions. I've taught women's and children's self-defense and self-awareness course and helped to assist and personally trained with agents from the US Martials, and FBI as well as the local authorities and detectives.

Yes, martial arts is engrained in me and courses through my veins. I talk about it daily... In fact, today one of the kids at the shelter asked when he overheard another staff and I talking about MMA and Ju Jitsu, if I thought I could take out a member from MMA in a match. I simply said "I would never go against the person to begin with." He understood that to mean that I knew I didn't stand a chance. I actually meant that it was pointless to try and defend myself in that particular conversation because there so many factors that could turn the tables in that match up, that niether is garaunteed a win or a loss.

Okay, I will stop for now... lots to share later and learn from others in here. Thanks for openning the thread!

I also was given my Sensei's dojo when I received my black. He was done instructing once he successful got me through the system. I had it for two years before my injury.
That's very impressive, Stone, seeing as I have only observed that style a few times. And it's also interesting that you ended up being the only female black belt, even with a large class. Still, having six black belts is still pretty impressive. And that is amazing that you actually were given your sensei's dojo. And I would love to learn that style myself, but i am already learning shotokan, dragon kenpo, tae kwon do, and aikido. Though, it's still in my thoughts to learn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stud_puppy1991 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Stud_puppy1991

How Do You Identify?:
butch, gentleman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Back to Bachelorhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl563 View Post
My daughter (youngest one) and I would love to take kickboxing.... Ive been looking into different schools in the area...it would be a nice indoor activity for the winter and mayhaps longer if we enjoy it My only concern is keeping the twins in the gei...or however you spell it
I am glad to see that you take an interest in it. And schools for martial arts can be tricky. I compared all of mine. Except, for, well, the karate I do in college. As far as the gi is concerned, you should be okay as long as you know to get the right size. If you have concerns about a gi and their sizes and such, you can always look it up. But, I admire your interest. I think I might look into kickboxing myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stud_puppy1991 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
RNguy

How Do You Identify?:
trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He preferredably :)
Relationship Status:
the pitbull <€

Thanked 2,267 Times in 510 Posts
RNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST Reputation
Default yay

Hey allllll right !!!!!!! 14 year Japanese/American kickboxer here !!!!!! Thanks for this thread thumbs up .
RNguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RNguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Stud_puppy1991

How Do You Identify?:
butch, gentleman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Back to Bachelorhood

14 years of kickboxing. Awesome. Just saying.