Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Mir

How Do You Identify?:
Masculine Woman (Two-Spirit)
Relationship Status:
Married

Mir is a jewel in the roughMir is a jewel in the roughMir is a jewel in the roughMir is a jewel in the rough
Default Medieval history/hobby/reenactment/recreation...

Greetings, all!

I want this to be a thread for all things medieval - while I'm a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, there are other hobby research and reenactment/recreation groups out there and I want to include all of us.

(There was a thread on the previous forum called Butch Femme SCAdians... we had some neat discussions there.)

Let me give a little background for my own aspect of this hobby: I've been in the SCA since 1988 (as we say, anno societatis 22). Our particular group does research and recreation (unlike re-enactors we don't exactly choreograph actual battles or exactly copy illumination - we use the learning to test our own mettle and ideas in their asthetic and tradition.)

In the SCA, I portray a Russian merchant from Novgorod who keeps a warehouse near Chepstow, on the English / Welsh border in the 1220s. Because we're recreation not reenactment, Tvorimir Danilov was not a real person I can prove - in fact we don't let you portray a specific famous person. Instead, he's a valid example of that sort of person from that time. I wear the clothes and portray the background and attitudes (it makes a good joke when I send the dog to be my wife's guard on merchants' row - she SURELY can't be allowed to go alone!). However, I am also a Marshal (safety official), a Chirurgeon (first aid officer), and Herald (announcer). I do enough work and leadership that I was elevated to the peerage as a Companion of the Order of the Pelican, and am in direct fealty to the Crown. In the SCA, our rulers win a tournament for the headache...I mean privilege... of ruling for 6 months.

So, here's a snapshot. I think our modern era can learn a lot from the chivalrous ideals, and I go play a game on weekends that gives me a focus for learning, an excuse to teach and show what I'm learning, and a community I've enjoyed for years.

Anyone else?

in service,
Mir

Master Tvorimir Danilov, OP, MC, GPoAT

(Here's one of my pet projects)
http://www.cafepress.com/conalscorner/4747221 - Mir's Quest is an effort to get those ideals thought about and discussed, as described in Lord Conal's store...

Last edited by Mir; 06-06-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: afterthought
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mir For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluefeather, medieval, middle ages, sca