thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Microlending is awesome!

"Microcredit is the extension of very small loans (microloans) to impoverished borrowers who typically lack collateral, steady employment and a verifiable credit history. It is designed not only to support entrepreneurship and alleviate poverty, but also in many cases to empower women and uplift entire communities by extension. In many communities worldwide, in developed and developing nations alike, women lack the highly stable employment histories that traditional lenders tend to require." ~Wikipedia

Kiva is an organization that allows you to make small loans ($25 or more) to someone as a part of a bigger loan to help their business grow. These people are from all parts of the world, even in the US. They pay you back over time (with a 99% repayment rate), and then you can take the money out or re-lend it again. Find out more here.

Right now, Kiva is offering you the opportunity to make a loan for free (sponsored by the former CEO of Skype). There's no catch. If it's the only loan you ever make, that's OK. Eventually, your person will pay you back, and you can then re-lend the money to someone else.

If you'd like to try out microlending, click here: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/southernfriedactivist

There is even a BFPlanet group on Kiva, so be sure to check them out on the Community page after you join!
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore

thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

(forgot to subscribe)

Is anyone on kiva? have you made any loans you're particularly proud of?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation
Default 39 loans and counting

I have been using the same $500 I invested almost 2 years ago. One loan in particular is memorable to me. I will loan anywhere between $25 and $200 depending on the loan. This one was a woman who needed $150 to buy pigs, it was her first loan and I lent her the whole amount, she has paid it all back.

I typically loan to women and tend to lend more to agriculture or food needs.

I encourage everyone to use Kiva.

Kiva asks for a donation with each loan to help with the costs, they have it set at 15%, I always lower mine to 5% so that I have more to invest in the people who need it. You can choose 0%, but I know that Kiva also has expenses.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedivahrrrself View Post
"Microcredit is the extension of very small loans (microloans) to impoverished borrowers who typically lack collateral, steady employment and a verifiable credit history. It is designed not only to support entrepreneurship and alleviate poverty, but also in many cases to empower women and uplift entire communities by extension. In many communities worldwide, in developed and developing nations alike, women lack the highly stable employment histories that traditional lenders tend to require." ~Wikipedia

Kiva is an organization that allows you to make small loans ($25 or more) to someone as a part of a bigger loan to help their business grow. These people are from all parts of the world, even in the US. They pay you back over time (with a 99% repayment rate), and then you can take the money out or re-lend it again. Find out more here.

Right now, Kiva is offering you the opportunity to make a loan for free (sponsored by the former CEO of Skype). There's no catch. If it's the only loan you ever make, that's OK. Eventually, your person will pay you back, and you can then re-lend the money to someone else.

If you'd like to try out microlending, click here: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/southernfriedactivist

There is even a BFPlanet group on Kiva, so be sure to check them out on the Community page after you join!

I think you are awesome!

Seriously, you are so generous and willing to help those who need it.

I have used Kiva, thanks to you, but I was not ware of the BFPlanet group.

I looked and it was started in 2009, I wonder if it has anything to do with this planet.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I've been on Kiva for about 3 years now. One of the things I like the most about microlending is that I feel like I get a lot more effect for my dollar. When it is repaid I can lend the same money over and over and keep doing good without breaking my own bank too badly.

I found an easy way to build up a little stash for lending for myself was to tie it to my rent. Each month when I paid my rent, I decided to help someone else earn theirs. I would make a $25 loan each month until I had a little pool of $500 that I could keep circulating. Now I don't add anymore money but am still able to lend regularly. I've never lost a dime in default.

This way you don't have to be a fat cat to feel like you can keep giving on a continuing basis.

Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,688 Times in 7,716 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

THIS...this.made.me.smile!
I sensed something really special about all of you that have posted here thus far!!!
I didn't know why....NOW.I.Do!
Thank YOU each...for being simply amazing, caring, and wonderful people!!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore

Member Photo Albums
Default I'm at 37...now I have to make 2 more! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by laruss View Post
I have been using the same $500 I invested almost 2 years ago. One loan in particular is memorable to me. I will loan anywhere between $25 and $200 depending on the loan. This one was a woman who needed $150 to buy pigs, it was her first loan and I lent her the whole amount, she has paid it all back.

I typically loan to women and tend to lend more to agriculture or food needs.

I encourage everyone to use Kiva.

Kiva asks for a donation with each loan to help with the costs, they have it set at 15%, I always lower mine to 5% so that I have more to invest in the people who need it. You can choose 0%, but I know that Kiva also has expenses.

I never donate to Kiva. I'm glad some people do so I can keep lending. I've only put in about $200, and I just keep relending over and over. I get paid back enough to make a new loan about once per month.

Lately, I've been loaning in Colombia, because my dream is eventually to wander into a business that I've loaned to. Prior to that, I was lending to Palestinians. Before that, I was lending for agriculture, wells and food in Africa.

I know some people that only lend to single mothers, some in the GLBT group who only lend to people they perceive to possibly be GLBT individuals, and some who have restrictions on the types of industries or products they will lend for (water wells, farming, hair dressers, etc).

I know some people who have taken advantage of the free $25 offer, and they are just waiting for that $25 to come back to lend again. It's nice that they let you use someone else's money to loan to someone you feel a connection to.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post

I think you are awesome!

Seriously, you are so generous and willing to help those who need it.

I have used Kiva, thanks to you, but I was not ware of the BFPlanet group.

I looked and it was started in 2009, I wonder if it has anything to do with this planet.
Aw, thanks love, you are quite awesome yourself!

U prefers lending to Colombian single mothers, I have noticed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore

Member Photo Albums
Default Thanks!!

I noticed a couple of you have now joined Kiva... welcome to the family!

Between this link and the one I sent out over my facebook page, the people I've invited snatched up over $1700 of free loans. I have successfully invited almost 130 people to join Kiva over the years. I feel like I have a tiny Kiva empire!

I just made my 40th loan today, to Heriberto. Y'all know I'm partial to Colombians, but I kind of adore Heriberto. Maybe it's his crooked smile, but I think it's his ingenuity. He lives in a tourist town, and he's found creative ways to make money. His house is next to a soccer field, so he started selling sodas and beer to people playing soccer. He then found two motorcycles to fix up and rent to tourists, and now he's starting a cell phone business with his friend, all while still selling soda and beer and renting motorcycles.

I think this kid is going a long way, and I'm glad to be able to be a part of his story. http://www.kiva.org/lend/461146

For those of you who haven't yet joined Kiva, you can see what it's all about here: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/southernfriedactivist They'll give you $25 to lend to someone so you can see how it works.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

I was at a Real Estate Conference a few years agoe where we made a rather large group loan through an organization similar to Kiva, but which only loans to women. Thank you for posting this. I will consider some loans in my friends names as Christmas presents. I have been purchasing livestock through Heifer for gifts for several years now. For a good friend who is a vegetarian I purchased bees, since they are good for pollination of of trees and gardens.

Again thanks for the info.
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Elishat

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Dressage Queen
Relationship Status:
Single

Elishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST ReputationElishat Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up This is amazing...

I've never heard of it, but I love the concept! Thank you so much for sharing this! Next payslip...
Elishat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elishat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #12
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

I'm glad I saw this!

Last holiday season, I both adopted wolves from Wolf Haven Int'l & I donated animals via Heifer Int'l on behalf of my 10 nieces and nephews (yes - 10 - I have 3 brothers and a sister and they were VERY busy! lol), their kids, and their SOs and I was thinking about this year, wondering if I might do the same thing or something different and this seems like such a good idea.

I dont know if I will do this for all 10 this season or if I will split it up among the 3 charities, but I love that I have something different to do for my nieces and nephews this year.

I followed your link, thedivahrrrself, and used the $25 credit to loan money to a woman in Kenya who needs it to buy shoes she can sell to support herself and her 6 kids.

I chose that because I remembered when I worked on a show called Black Nativity back in the winter of 2008, a crew member I worked with was collecting shoes to go to those who needed them in Africa - her work and story always stuck with me, so while I was looking at all of those who needed loans, Hellen in Kenya just sort of spoke to me.

In the future, I may also lean towards women dealing with agriculture &/or food items - but we'll see. If it is a little like Heifer, where their loan will go towards animals they will raise for milk, eggs, offspring, clothing, etc - something that will continue beyond the one loan, I would definitely lean towards that.

OH - I also posted my loan via FB so that if anyone else wants to join the site, they and I will each get a $25 credit to go towards another loan - so maybe I can get a few people to join with me.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore

Member Photo Albums

<-- found a lady in Peru who hand-makes silver jewelry. Now you know I gotta support that!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore

Member Photo Albums

<---- JUST MADE MY 50TH KIVA LOAN!! YAY!
The Following User Says Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post: