Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

I like Scuba, laughed and cried. Although I am not a public figure, I have much in common with Chaz. I have seen many documentaries, TV shows, read books, online stuff, but for me, this one knocked it out of the ballpark.

On another note, maybe it is time to drop my beloved identity of Butch. I never felt the entire woman identified stuff and the moniker of Butch served me very well. I do make the distinction of not being a cisgender man by using Transman.

I am tempted to delete this because I am doing stream of consciousness writing.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #42
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I had dreams all night of the part where it was said " see flat chest".

It won't happen for me in this lifetime, but one can always play the lottery.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #43
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I thought this doc was very well done- especially in terms of all the stuff thrown his way because of celebrity status parents.

For me, the commonality of many gender related issues (and the violence we unfortunately share) that I feel I have in common with transmen and women came through. I haven't felt this way with other docs on transitioning before. I think this is because it took on so much more of the human condition and how people relate to one another.

Makes me feel good even though I can't explain it all very fully.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #44
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I liked it a lot and I thought it was done accurately and respectfully. I especially liked that Dr. Brownstein was in it, and the scene where it showed Chaz having his drains removed, well I was in that exact same office yesterday having my drains removed by Dr. Brownstein. I got a chance to see my chest with a hand-held mirror exactly like Chaz. It was kind of surreal watching someone else have the exact same experience I had just had earlier in the day. (see my posts in the FTMs and Transitioning thread for more info on my top surgery).

I could see how hard it was for Chaz and his mom to navigate this change together. She is going though her own transition around this, but I see her trying and that is great. His patience and understanding with her underscores the love between them. He was so brave to do this in public, and I hope this brings a lot more awareness and understanding to the public at large. *thumbs up*
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #45
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation
Default What I wrote on my FB page this morning

Things I liked:

It was real. They showed how life keeps going on even in the midst of trying to get your "transition checklist" checked off.

I liked that some time was dedicated to transgender youth and that there are parents who get behind their kids and are proactive.

I liked that so many members of Chaz's family were included, including his chosen family and support circle. I also think including the time with his ex was helpful. I can't quite articulate just what yet....but I thought it was significant.

Things I didn't care for:

Even though his relationship is a big part of his life, I almost felt like I was seeing stuff that was just too personal....or TMI.....some things just felt kinda "ugh" to me. I guess that's what documentaries do though.

I didn't like that his mother was in a separate, special space and that his only interaction with her was at a premiere. But then again, to do it any other way may not have been realistic. It was clear they don't spend much time together; I guess that just made me feel a little sad. There he was playing games in the home of his step-mother, but there wasn't any down time like that with his own mother.

An aside:

I found myself pretty shocked that he had to borrow money to pay for his surgery. Cher's millions aside, I just always assumed there was money there.......maybe an inheritance from Sonny??? I don't know. I mean...it's certainly not relevant. I just took note of that and was really surprised.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #46
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I don't have OWN and I've been trying to find it online. The OWN network just has trailers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #47
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I've seen several DOC's on transgender and transitioning. They were all good but this one was by far the best. I liked the "real life" stuff in it. Like Thinker I was shocked he had to borrow the money for the surgery also. I know he has the book out now, but I wonder what he does for a living. Jen is a student and I never heard either of them say ok I'm off to work. I'm not sure how expensive "T" is but I'm sure it isn't free.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #48
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Things I liked:

It was real. They showed how life keeps going on even in the midst of trying to get your "transition checklist" checked off.

I liked that some time was dedicated to transgender youth and that there are parents who get behind their kids and are proactive.

I liked that so many members of Chaz's family were included, including his chosen family and support circle. I also think including the time with his ex was helpful. I can't quite articulate just what yet....but I thought it was significant.

I saw this as significant too. And part of what transpeople have to deal with. Reality.... My late partner was with a FtM for over 15 years and co-parented 2 kids with him prior to transitioning. She just couldn't remain with him and be who she was- a lesbian after he came to really finding himself. But, she felt a lot of guilt about this, too. She loved him very much. Through the years as they remained friends and co-parents, they were able to work through what was a very painful situation for both. Sometimes it was hard for me because at the start of our relationship, she questioned me a lot about my gender identification and if I ever felt that I was really a man. She actually had trust issues around a butch woman remaining a butch woman. We worked through that, too. This is just a multi-faceted, extremely complex journey that can have an influence on so many things.

Even though his relationship is a big part of his life, I almost felt like I was seeing stuff that was just too personal....or TMI.....some things just felt kinda "ugh" to me. I guess that's what documentaries do though.

I had some twinges like this, too. makes me feel a little better that a transperson is articulating this. Probably because I kept smacking myself about these feelings due to not being trans. I think it is just about how we all have our own personal boundaries with things. Thanks.

I didn't like that his mother was in a separate, special space and that his only interaction with her was at a premiere. But then again, to do it any other way may not have been realistic. It was clear they don't spend much time together; I guess that just made me feel a little sad. There he was playing games in the home of his step-mother, but there wasn't any down time like that with his own mother.

I have hope that they will work through what keeps them "separate."

An aside:

I found myself pretty shocked that he had to borrow money to pay for his surgery. Cher's millions aside, I just always assumed there was money there.......maybe an inheritance from Sonny??? I don't know. I mean...it's certainly not relevant. I just took note of that and was really surprised.
This shocked me some, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #49
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

I like the documentary a lot my only problem with it was the "aggressive scenes because of T" I know some people get more aggressive on T but others like me mellow out. I just didn't like that it reinforced that "image" of someone on T.
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #50
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oopster View Post
I like the documentary a lot my only problem with it was the "aggressive scenes because of T" I know some people get more aggressive on T but others like me mellow out. I just didn't like that it reinforced that "image" of someone on T.
I wondered how our trans guys might feel about this. It needs to be addressed, but it is sensitive due to stereotyping (the whole "roid-rage" misinformation). My impression has been that it does vary individually and also, some guys really do a lot of work around this. They prepare via support networks and groups. A lot of trans men I know in real-time also can get angry about "excuses" being made about this because they feel it is something one has to take personal responsibility for and that if someone has a bad temper to begin with- it ain't all the T. might not be the T at all. We all have to work on our patience and temper if we find ours is volitile, not just transmen.

It seems like most of you do feel this documentary is one to recommend to people- am I right about this? I don't want to tell someone it is helpful and accurate based upon my take on it as a non-trans person. Also, it has an awful lot to take in- is it the best one available for people that really have very little knowledge on the subject? Would like opinions on this. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #51
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Things I liked:

An aside:

Yes, that is what made me uncomfortable too. I felt uncomfortable seeing their "stuff" ("issues"), if you know what I mean. I felt intrusive, even knowing they were the ones that set the boundaries of what is seen by the audience.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #52
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
I wondered how our trans guys might feel about this. It needs to be addressed, but it is sensitive due to stereotyping (the whole "roid-rage" misinformation). My impression has been that it does vary individually and also, some guys really do a lot of work around this. They prepare via support networks and groups. A lot of trans men I know in real-time also can get angry about "excuses" being made about this because they feel it is something one has to take personal responsibility for and that if someone has a bad temper to begin with- it ain't all the T. might not be the T at all. We all have to work on our patience and temper if we find ours is volitile, not just transmen.

It seems like most of you do feel this documentary is one to recommend to people- am I right about this? I don't want to tell someone it is helpful and accurate based upon my take on it as a non-trans person. Also, it has an awful lot to take in- is it the best one available for people that really have very little knowledge on the subject? Would like opinions on this. Thanks.
I wouldn't say that the video supplied "information" on the process or anything. I think it was just more about Chaz's experience with some information thrown in. Meaning, the focus was about him and his process, not specifically about how to get on T or set up for surgery or anything like that.

I think it depends on what your goals are in seeking out a documentary on transgendered/transexual people. For example, if I was going to transition, I would probably choose the Lisa Ling trans documentary to share with my mother over this one, as I think that it gives more of a "feel" of the process and more information. But, if I wanted to "normalize" trans life I might choose this doc.

I dunno, those are my thoughts this morning. I may need more coffee.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #53
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I wouldn't say that the video supplied "information" on the process or anything. I think it was just more about Chaz's experience with some information thrown in. Meaning, the focus was about him and his process, not specifically about how to get on T or set up for surgery or anything like that.

I think it depends on what your goals are in seeking out a documentary on transgendered/transexual people. For example, if I was going to transition, I would probably choose the Lisa Ling trans documentary to share with my mother over this one, as I think that it gives more of a "feel" of the process and more information. But, if I wanted to "normalize" trans life I might choose this doc.

I agree with Dapper. This really was about "Becoming Chaz".....which is what he set out to do. In the documentary, his surgery is already set up.....pre- and post-concerns already addressed. In another segment, he puts on a suit and meets up with an advocate.......sometime later, his corrected license arrives in the mail. (Just to name two examples...)

***As a matter of fact, I remember getting a kind of wide-eyed look during his pre-surgical consult because it was sooooo rushed and vague (in my opinion, of course). I kind of think that was for the sake of the cameras/film and that Chaz had already spent some time with Dr. B.

So there wasn't anything in there about *how* to start and move through those processes. And I'm not suggesting that there should have been; that wasn't the focus of this particular documentary.

There are lists upon lists on the internet that a questioning person can use as resources to begin the work of creating his or her plan for transition. That's would I recommend........that and sitting down with someone who has been through it so they can answer some questions and help as the individual formulates his or her own plan.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #54
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,196 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

I had mixed feelings about the documentary. I admire Chaz because of his courage to really bring FtM out to the forefront of the conversation ( documentary, conversations with Oprah, article in NYTimes, etc). I think it has taken much courage to go through this transition in front of the world. I know Chaz has had media exposure his whole life... and that it may have been impossible to do this in private... but I still admire his embrace of it... Amazing...

In many ways I lost respect for Chaz though... I know depression, I know wanting to sit on a couch for a year playing video games, I know emotional pain. We all do. There were times I felt Chaz is a bit spoiled... He has a girlfriend who is working through a Master's degree and he sat on the couch for a YEAR playing video games? There is so much to be done on this planet... I don't know what Chaz does for work.. if he does work... I know he is an activist at this point as a transman... but besides that I don't see much activity ... and maybe it was just my perception.. but what an opportunity for activist work! Chaz has a beautiful home.. That KITCHEN ... omgoodness. Clearly, he has assets... perhaps it is Cher's, I don't know. Perhaps he has made a living of his own... I don't know. But there were times I was just sitting there saying to myself "Buck up Chaz... get off the couch, stop bitching, and DO something." I know this video is one way. I know speaking at rallies, is one way, I know going through the transition in such a public way is one way... but there are many of us who do ALL of this and still have full time jobs. And if he IS doing stuff... I wish it had been included in the complexity of Becoming Chaz

Just was what I was thinking during the documentary....

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #55
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybutch View Post
I had mixed feelings about the documentary. I admire Chaz because of his courage to really bring FtM out to the forefront of the conversation ( documentary, conversations with Oprah, article in NYTimes, etc). I think it has taken much courage to go through this transition in front of the world. I know Chaz has had media exposure his whole life... and that it may have been impossible to do this in private... but I still admire his embrace of it... Amazing...

In many ways I lost respect for Chaz though... I know depression, I know wanting to sit on a couch for a year playing video games, I know emotional pain. We all do. There were times I felt Chaz is a bit spoiled... He has a girlfriend who is working through a Master's degree and he sat on the couch for a YEAR playing video games? There is so much to be done on this planet... I don't know what Chaz does for work.. if he does work... I know he is an activist at this point as a transman... but besides that I don't see much activity ... and maybe it was just my perception.. but what an opportunity for activist work! Chaz has a beautiful home.. That KITCHEN ... omgoodness. Clearly, he has assets... perhaps it is Cher's, I don't know. Perhaps he has made a living of his own... I don't know. But there were times I was just sitting there saying to myself "Buck up Chaz... get off the couch, stop bitching, and DO something." I know this video is one way. I know speaking at rallies, is one way, I know going through the transition in such a public way is one way... but there are many of us who do ALL of this and still have full time jobs. And if he IS doing stuff... I wish it had been included in the complexity of Becoming Chaz

Just was what I was thinking during the documentary....

I too had similar thoughts as I took in the detail of his home, the neighborhoods, his friends and family. I like Thinker was surprised that Chaz borrowed the money for top surgery from his sponsor. The video game thing I could not relate too but sitting on a couch for one year I could.

There was a period in my life a few years back that it all just fell apart for me. I am grateful that because of the career I have chosen, I was able to take the time off. I suspect that Chaz has privilege most of us here do not. His privilege, "celebrity" has provided for the opportunity to bring Trans people and issues to the consciousness of main stream.

I am concerned that many will think that all Transmen think, feel and experience their gender identity in the same fashion. I wish there was greater discussion of the various shades of "Trans" under the umbrella of Transmen. I realize the documentary is about becoming Chaz, but in all of the various interviews and media blitz taking place right now, I have not heard anything about this is Chaz's experience and there are so many that have a different perspective. After all does mainstream take for granted that all cisgendered men are replicas of one another?

After all is said and done, IMO, I believe his documentary will bring greater communication and build bridges that assist in making this a better world.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #56
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile forgive me if this has been posted, i found it really good- do not watch tv.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/10/136177...y-becomes-chaz
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #57
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
I too had similar thoughts as I took in the detail of his home, the neighborhoods, his friends and family. I like Thinker was surprised that Chaz borrowed the money for top surgery from his sponsor. The video game thing I could not relate too but sitting on a couch for one year I could.

There was a period in my life a few years back that it all just fell apart for me. I am grateful that because of the career I have chosen, I was able to take the time off. I suspect that Chaz has privilege most of us here do not. His privilege, "celebrity" has provided for the opportunity to bring Trans people and issues to the consciousness of main stream.

I am concerned that many will think that all Transmen think, feel and experience their gender identity in the same fashion. I wish there was greater discussion of the various shades of "Trans" under the umbrella of Transmen. I realize the documentary is about becoming Chaz, but in all of the various interviews and media blitz taking place right now, I have not heard anything about this is Chaz's experience and there are so many that have a different perspective. After all does mainstream take for granted that all cisgendered men are replicas of one another?

After all is said and done, IMO, I believe his documentary will bring greater communication and build bridges that assist in making this a better world.

Your not the only one: http://www.autostraddle.com/chaz-bon...-for-me-88312/

It's interesting to see what's happening on Chaz's forums. I've been surprised (or perhaps not so much) to see all of the "Cher" fans starting to show and wanting to talk to Chaz. There have been some interesting side-effects, including the link above being discussed.

I've also noticed people tying Chaz' transition to what it's like to being bi, bdsm (one person said that they identified as "being bdsm" since age 5) and so on. Kind of surreal in some ways..

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #58
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

What I find and have thanks to my wife, is that his girlfriend has issues to work through as well. We didn't get to see much of what it means for her, and I think that was kind of self serving for Chaz. Often in these threads we discuss what is happening for the FtM, and totally forget that they have partners, when they do, and we skim right over what is going on for the partner.
I just want us all to be aware it isn't all about us, there are other people in our lives that matter just as much as our finding our way in this world.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #59
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I agree with Dapper. This really was about "Becoming Chaz".....which is what he set out to do. In the documentary, his surgery is already set up.....pre- and post-concerns already addressed. In another segment, he puts on a suit and meets up with an advocate.......sometime later, his corrected license arrives in the mail. (Just to name two examples...)

***As a matter of fact, I remember getting a kind of wide-eyed look during his pre-surgical consult because it was sooooo rushed and vague (in my opinion, of course). I kind of think that was for the sake of the cameras/film and that Chaz had already spent some time with Dr. B.

So there wasn't anything in there about *how* to start and move through those processes. And I'm not suggesting that there should have been; that wasn't the focus of this particular documentary.

There are lists upon lists on the internet that a questioning person can use as resources to begin the work of creating his or her plan for transition. That's would I recommend........that and sitting down with someone who has been through it so they can answer some questions and help as the individual formulates his or her own plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post

Thank you both. Yes, "the audience" is what I was thinking about, even though I think this doc has some real merit. I did think about some people in my life/family that I have tried to "educate" about the full range of gender- and realized this one would be too much for them (TMI). They would represent a "general audience."

Also, LOL... I do want a "stamp of approval" from transpeople if I am going to recommend something to friends, family about the subject. It's hard- I do a lot of eye-rolling myself with comments from people outside of our community.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #60
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

After watching the documentary, and then all the late night shows he was on, I am a bit puzzled over his finances. Rosie and I talked about it and thought maybe his home was paid for by the residuals he rec'd from his inheritance from his father (IF he got anything at all or if it went to his stepmother). He is driving a pretty decent SUV, has a nice yard, pool, hot tub, and the clothes. Then says he had to borrow money for his top surgery. Did he have to borrow money for his hrt and his psych. therapy as well? Yes, he lives in the public eye, and had to go thru his transition publically. However, what is his job? What is his g/f job since graduating from her master's program? How does he pay for his trips to go to The Spirit Conference?

I also wonder if his docs were doing the services "pro-bono" because of his celebrity status and knowing about the documentary they were going to be involved in it. The same for his attorney being present for the top surgery. That bill must have been nothing short of huge.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote