Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

After watching the documentary, and then all the late night shows he was on, I am a bit puzzled over his finances. Rosie and I talked about it and thought maybe his home was paid for by the residuals he rec'd from his inheritance from his father (IF he got anything at all or if it went to his stepmother). He is driving a pretty decent SUV, has a nice yard, pool, hot tub, and the clothes. Then says he had to borrow money for his top surgery. Did he have to borrow money for his hrt and his psych. therapy as well? Yes, he lives in the public eye, and had to go thru his transition publically. However, what is his job? What is his g/f job since graduating from her master's program? How does he pay for his trips to go to The Spirit Conference?

I also wonder if his docs were doing the services "pro-bono" because of his celebrity status and knowing about the documentary they were going to be involved in it. The same for his attorney being present for the top surgery. That bill must have been nothing short of huge.
The attorney was a friend of his, and as far as his finances go, its none of our business. I sure wouldn't want people questioning where I got my money. He may or may not received any monies from his dad's estate, but still, really we've no expectation of this knowledge and he doesn't owe anyone any explanation.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #62
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I watched Chazz on Piers Morgan last night the show was pretty good,unfourtunatly I didnt see the doc cause I dont get own.I was surprised as anyone about that he had to borrow $$ for top surgery,my son watched most of the show with me and the things he ask me were long time in comeing between us.One thing he ask was did I feel the same way about my cheaticels as Chazz..I said ..yes.Then he as why I havent persued top surgery?I told him that money was one thing..another was how he would deal with the changes,how people he knew would feel ect.Then I was ask how much dose this top urgery cost..I really have forgotten as I just see no chanch of me doing that at my age as well as health issues..I told him sevberal thousand at least...Besides no one dose that surgery hear even tho I have herd someone dose, im not really shure.All this made both of us do some thin king wich is good.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #63
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I enjoyed the documentary. I actually thought as a partner that many of the issues we deal with were shown and explored through Jen. I found their relationship very hard to watch. Their was a lot of tension and grief that I could feel. When she said she has to get know him over and over as things change and progress I could really relate to that. You do never know what is in store! A physical change, a different way of relating. Some could be just normal changes couples go through but there is usually a question or thought 'is this transition related'.

What I really would have liked to have seen is more about how they arrived at the idea that they are now a straight couple. I don't think all couples get to that place. I am not there yet. My concern is that the general public will look at Chaz and think that this is how it is for every transman.

I do though very much appreciate his coming forward and sharing his story. Oprah is big time mainstream. I am hoping this will contribute towards transpeople being recognized and accepted for who they are.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #64
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
I enjoyed the documentary. I actually thought as a partner that many of the issues we deal with were shown and explored through Jen. I found their relationship very hard to watch. Their was a lot of tension and grief that I could feel. When she said she has to get know him over and over as things change and progress I could really relate to that. You do never know what is in store! A physical change, a different way of relating. Some could be just normal changes couples go through but there is usually a question or thought 'is this transition related'.

What I really would have liked to have seen is more about how they arrived at the idea that they are now a straight couple. I don't think all couples get to that place. I am not there yet. My concern is that the general public will look at Chaz and think that this is how it is for every transman.

I do though very much appreciate his coming forward and sharing his story. Oprah is big time mainstream. I am hoping this will contribute towards transpeople being recognized and accepted for who they are.
I thought it was very good on the relationship(s) part of transition.

Someone earlier was taken back that the interview with Cher were seperate, yet I could relate to that. If my mom was being interviewed it would be far more comfortable for both of us for it be seperate.

I saw the emphasis to be more on the emotional and relational aspects of transition then the nity grity struggles and process of transition.
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #65
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I think that those of us who were shocked that he borrowed money for his surgery and that he had such a nice place and those who've questioned, including myself how he makes his living, I don't think we were being nosey. For me personally I am curious as to how anyone pays for the surgery. I don't know how I will ever pay for it. I know some folks use credit cards some probably save for it or borrow for it.

For me I'd have to save a small fortune to have the surgery because I'd have to have enough money to pay my bills while I was out of work and who really knows how long that would be, since it is likely different for each person depending on the job they hold.

I think we all realize he could be living off of something his Dad might have left him, but if he is I think he wouldn't have borrowed the money to have it done. Maybe I will ask the finance question in the trans zone.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #66
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I just watched Chazz and Jenny on Piers Morgan. Glad to have seen all of the coverage to date. I saw them treated respectfully and openly by Piers, and am glad he did the interview. In this show, I saw a maturation of the two of them and Chazz knowing part of this was the leveling out his T level.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #67
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

This came in an email from SheWired/The Advocate

http://www.shewired.com/g-spot/chaz-...ition%E2%80%99

Also the latest issue of People Magazine (the one with Shania Twain on the cover) has a pretty good article about Chaz and his book.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #68
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

I really loved this. Chaz is a very courageous man for being so open about his transition and pill addiction. Awesome person, but the girlfriend is super annoying!!!

Duchess
Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #69
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,196 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

I just bought Chaz's book Transition. Was expensive... but want to see what else Chaz has going on! Will comment as I get to it...!

Anyone else read it yet?

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #70
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybutch View Post
I just bought Chaz's book Transition. Was expensive... but want to see what else Chaz has going on! Will comment as I get to it...!

Anyone else read it yet?
For those who own Kindles, the wireless Kindle version of this book is available for $12.99.

~Theo~
Old 05-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #71
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

Corkey,

I wasn't being any different than anyone else thinking about Chaz's finances. He was the one who brought it up. I also have no idea of the relationship Chaz and his attorney have. No clue. I have not bought his book on tape, nor have I read the People magazine article, and so on.

I apologize if I offended or insulted anyone.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #72
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I hope to buy it at some point, looks great to Me :-)

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #73
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

Corkey,

I wasn't being any different than anyone else thinking about Chaz's finances. He was the one who brought it up. I also have no idea of the relationship Chaz and his attorney have. No clue. I have not bought his book on tape, nor have I read the People magazine article, and so on.

I apologize if I offended or insulted anyone.
Perhaps you missed it in the program where Chaz said the attorney was his friend. As far as his finances, it just isn't any of our business. I would never share my finances with anyone, that is a privacy issue and one that I respect.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #74
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I am leaving this thread, now.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #75
sweetfemme247

How Do You Identify?:
fem
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme, she, her, baby, sweetie
Relationship Status:
holding my heart close and putting back up a wall

sweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputation

yeah me too,

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.
Jim Rohn
sweetfemme247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #76
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I dunno, I kinda see where Andrew is going with his curiosity (and mine, too, btw) about how Chaz managed to pay for everything, his celebrity status and family name aside. In fact, I'll own up to having those same questions in my mind as well.

I think that, as transmen, we DO wonder about finances, because that detail is exactly what keeps many transPEOPLE from being able to go through the transition process. Employment is the other valid question. A LOT of guys who transition lose jobs, family, etc.. This turns life, as we knew it before, on its very ear, so yes, we do wonder about that. Finances ARE an issue, and when you put something like this in the public eye, I think it's reasonable to then be honestly curious as to how Chaz financed his transition. I think a little more could have (and maybe should have) been revealed about Chaz's circumstances, since this is a very big part of the transition process for everyone else.

I paid entirely out of pocket for Every. Single. Thing. in my transition, at first. It wasn't until I got going a bit that I was able to get the VA to cover my T and the lab followup. I paid entirely out of pocket for my top surgery. Thank goodness I already had years of tenured employment with the Federal Gov't under my belt and protections as a Disabled Veteran, or I might have found myself out of a job the moment I mentioned "transition" to my employer. These ARE valid questions.

Insurance doesn't cover medical transition, for the most part, and many, many transpeople don't even have money for traditional medical insurance anyway, so I think that the curiosity surrounding Chaz's finances IS justified. Maybe he was just saving those details for his book?? MY opinion is that, if he's going to be putting a "face" on transfolks and offering up his own experience to the public eye, then he should perhaps be a bit more forthcoming with the financial details of his transition.

My .02

~Theo~
Old 05-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #77
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

I come from a different generation I guess where questioning anyones finances is just not done. He's an author, he works with youth, those are both fine professions. How much he makes and from where, none of my business.
As for folks leaving the thread, stay and participate.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #78
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
I come from a different generation I guess where questioning anyones finances is just not done. He's an author, he works with youth, those are both fine professions. How much he makes and from where, none of my business.
As for folks leaving the thread, stay and participate.
Ya, Bro, I so see your point, too, and I agree that one's finances are generally regarded as being a very personal issue and not up for public scrutiny. I certainly don't want prying eyes on my money, either. I totally get that and agree with you!!!

Chaz chose to go public with this process, however, and I certainly applaud his personal strength and inner resolve. It also takes money and the money part of it is so huge for so many. The struggle to become who we are is very difficult, but the money end of it is equally as daunting and sometimes presents an insurmountable obstacle for so many, many people. That's why I think it's so important to be just as transparent with that part of it.

Chaz did say that he had to borrow the money for his top surgery, and that's enough information for me, at least. I did, however, notice his nice home, furnishings, clothes, etc., and wonder how he supported himself, moneywise. His girlfriend is a student, as it was said, but I didn't see why Chaz didn't bring up what he'd been doing for a living (income), prior to his transition process. I was wondering if he had to deal with the employment issues that transition involves, because that's a big deal, too, especially in these days and times when transpeople commonly have fewer protections against discrimination in the workplace than GLB's do, in a lot of places. Outing yourself to an employer is a big thing in the process of transition.

This is why I still have questions about Chaz's transition and I'm wondering if the book he's just published will contain any more details of his transition. I guess I'll have to read the book.

I, too, wish others would stay and participate in the discussion.

~Theo~
Old 05-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #79
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,196 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

I think there are class issues which can raise some of these questions ... and to me they can be valid questions depending how they are framed. I don't think there was judgment in the questions posed at all... but that is me....

Perhaps what the dialogue that is happening here is reflecting is a desire to know more... that the documentary asked so many questions that were left unanswered... or perhaps, depending on the viewers perspective there were a lot of unanswered issues...

I know it must have been hard for Chaz to fit this all into a 90 minute (did I get the time wrong?) docu... and it is refreshing (for me anyway) to start his book and have come key phrases already made:

"My books were heartfelt attempts to give something back" (page 2)

"I can remember going to Washington, DC while my father was still alive.... I remember thinking at that moment how cool it would be to run for office one day... to serve my country... But then it occurred to me that I have to be called a "congresswoman"- and that one word just stopped me short" (page 3)

I will post more... but what I can say is... Run Chaz... I bet you could do some great things... You have courage that not many politicians exhibit these days...I just got back from a Victory Fund strategizing session. Now there is an organization that you could get involved in (if you already aren't).

(BTW, I am only on page 18)

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #80
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I can see both sides as well, being curious about where he got the money from for his top surgery but unless he chooses to divulge that information it doesnt matter to Me where he got it from ............ it just makes Me happy to know he was able to get it done :-)

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote