Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation
Default "I see you as a man"

My bf and I watched this video

And that's when I realised a friend of mine has used a variation of that phrase several times, both with my bf and with me. Each time I've responded with "That's because he is a man", but perhaps that's not enough. What should I be saying?

He's the first ts she's ever met, so I imagine she's trying to be accepting...
Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

"Well I've seen dumb and dumber so I know what you're going through." lmao

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

I think your response it spot on... when someone tells me that they consider me a man, or see me as a man, think of me as a man, etc - I do the same thing, I remind them that I *AM* a man, it's about all you can do really until they choose to get a better understanding.
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SelfMadeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
crashhere4eva

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, hym...I'm not gonna bite your head off about it
Relationship Status:
Busy... Teaching a hott professor

crashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputation

I do not mean to pry into the thread, just was reading and I feel strongly about this issue so I thought I would share encouragement. When I speak of and to a "Transexual" I do not use the term FMT, MTF or even the word "transexual". I say "man" or "woman" to me, it's a non issue in terms of what to call people. I do understand that there is a "transition" that takes place (physically anyway) however, I refer to "transexuals" as men and/or women. You don't go through all the process one must go through to be a man or a woman only for other people to call it something else. For example, I would not call myself straight. It is not up to me to tell someone else what they are when such a thing is so very personal. I would not let anyone call me straight or my girlfriend straight because she is so feminine and what some say "straight looking". If you ask me, to go through what one must go through, you gotta be convicted to do so. More power to you man and friend. By the way, for a dude you look good! Take care!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

She kinda forgot about lesbian transsexuals there. Or did she mean to account for them with that picture of the two girls?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Billy

How Do You Identify?:
Billy~
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr Princess ~
Relationship Status:
Married April 20 2013

Thanked 3,866 Times in 1,051 Posts
Billy Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST ReputationBilly Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

It happens all the time ..I think it happens because, its the knowing we where born female , and now we are male and seen as Men And they kind of go back and forth with it ..I have a broker @ the shop that gets a kick out of someone addressing Me as Sir , it kind of makes it more real for him because he has known me for about 12 years and I am going on My 5 year on T .. He just smiles
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Kaison

How Do You Identify?:
Transmale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Kaison is on a distinguished road

For me my transition was just that, a transition! - I started as female the transition was the middle part to where and who I am now.
Kaison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kaison For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I have been told, "I think of you as a man" before too. It annoys me. But I don't get mad at the person, I just ignore it. I don't know why. Maybe the next time it happens I will say something.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the video by the way. And I don't think she intentionally left out lesbians, more like the person asking her about her sexuality, she was answering for herself only.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
EmpressM

How Do You Identify?:
human

EmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hmmmm

I've been contemplating my response for a while, and I am certainly not intending to intrude or debate anyone's feelings or point of view. Not being a transperson myself, I'm sure there's much to which I cannot relate.

I have used this very statement and variations thereof. However, how much of the offensiveness is a result of context or the person using it?

I have used it as what I believed to be reassurance when discussing with a transperson insensitive comments or actions by others where it made the transperson question their ability to "pass" or to be seen as they are now. I've never used the statement unsolicited. Is there another way to say something similar when asked your opinion that would resonate in a more positive, less cringe-worthy way?

Also, does the perception of the statement change when used in a positive context, such as reassurance in a conversation between two transpeople or a transperson and their partner?
I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people. ~John Lennon
EmpressM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmpressM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Ugh, the statement "I see you as a man" is loaded with assumptions that it's enough to make your head explode before you even figure out where to start, lol.

Of course, there's the issue of some transmen wanting to retain the distinction between themselves and cismen (transmale as its own sex). There's other transmales who simply use the identifier "man" with cis people just to circumvent the confusion of telling them the body they inhabit doesn't necessarily make them a man...or a woman. There's other trans folks who don't identify within the binary even if they've undergone HRT and/or SRS. So she'd be getting a very different response depending on the trans person/transguy I think.

But if the comment is towards a transguy who identifies strictly as a man, then I think the simplest response is what you said, "well, that's because he is a man." Though the whole statement is enough to make a person want to give them a Trans 101 crash course.

@Empress, I get why some might think that the statement is meant to reassure some trans people that they "pass," or reassure us that at least someone sees us as the sex and/or gender that we actually are. Honestly, though, I think something like "ignore them" instead of "I see you as a man" is more supportive. Then again I may be the wrong person to respond to this. I feel there are a lot of problems with the politics of "passing" and the need to reassure trans people that they "pass" when it comes to dealing with trans people as a generalized group (vs. a trans person as an individual with individual thoughts/circumstances), so I don't see that sort of support necessary for myself, anyway. It depends on how that trans person interacts with their own sex/gender.

Edit: Also wanted to express my initial "omg, it's Calpernia Addams!" reaction. I had no clue she had a youtube channel. I'm totally subscribing to her now. I hearts me some Calpernia
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

uh oh, now I feel bad. I've used the statement "I see you as a man" before to partners who were feeling really insecure because people in their lives had insulted them and called them a woman, or a dyke. They identify as male, and that's exactly who they are to me. I certainly didn't intend to offend with that, though. Is there a better way to say "no, in my head I"m not thinking you're just a woman in man's clothing" or "no, i don't think you're a dude dressing up like a girl". Those terribly offensive statements crush people I care about, and I want to find a way to tell them that their identity is valid to me and I respect them.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

Andy, we live and learn. Next time, just tell them that those people are being idiots, and that they ARE male, and have always been so.
I, as a transwoman, haven't always handled new situations, and situations like that, the best way that they could have been handled. I just try to learn from my mistakes and go on.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Like Ender said it just depends on the person. Personally, I don't find it offensive or belittling, I simply see it as someone saying, "I see YOU", the real you, regardless of how you're packaged, I see YOU.
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
Andy, we live and learn. Next time, just tell them that those people are being idiots, and that they ARE male, and have always been so.
I, as a transwoman, haven't always handled new situations, and situations like that, the best way that they could have been handled. I just try to learn from my mistakes and go on.

I guess I'm just curious because in my case I used the phrase in the specific context of a conversation with a partner or very close friend who was feeling vulnerable about themselves. I guess it would have been better to have said "well, they're clearly blind because you are obviously a man, there's just something wrong with them". I get that now, I was just curious if she was talking about it in the context of some random person she met in her capacity as a public figure, or if it's always offensive, regardless of intent.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #15
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

I'm always having to correct people because when they realize that Blue was born a woman, they assume Hy now thinks of Hymself as a man and say stupid/annoying stuff accordingly.

Third gendered is definitely something that doesn't fit in their nice little binary world and I really feel very strongly about the need for greater public awareness. (When Blue went for Hys first job here in the UK, there were three boxes on the application form when it came to sex - male, female, other. A good start, but by no means enough.)

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #16
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Edit: Also wanted to express my initial "omg, it's Calpernia Addams!" reaction. I had no clue she had a youtube channel. I'm totally subscribing to her now. I hearts me some Calpernia
I have always wanted her and Drew Barrymore to take turns reading to me. They've both got that style of voice that I can listen to all day.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I think there is an appropriate time to say this: When a person asks how you see them.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #18
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
uh oh, now I feel bad. I've used the statement "I see you as a man" before to partners who were feeling really insecure because people in their lives had insulted them and called them a woman, or a dyke. They identify as male, and that's exactly who they are to me. I certainly didn't intend to offend with that, though. Is there a better way to say "no, in my head I"m not thinking you're just a woman in man's clothing" or "no, i don't think you're a dude dressing up like a girl". Those terribly offensive statements crush people I care about, and I want to find a way to tell them that their identity is valid to me and I respect them.
Don't apologize for use of that statement. Ten people in one online thread don't speak for an entire community of people. One person's insult is another's affirmation. A friend of mine was transitioning several years ago and asked me "How do you see me?" I said "I've always seen you as a guy." He hugged me. It wasn't offensive to him, it was exactly what he was hoping for.

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenofSmirks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #19
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofSmirks View Post
Don't apologize for use of that statement. Ten people in one online thread don't speak for an entire community of people. One person's insult is another's affirmation. A friend of mine was transitioning several years ago and asked me "How do you see me?" I said "I've always seen you as a guy." He hugged me. It wasn't offensive to him, it was exactly what he was hoping for.

The difference here is that he asked you. You didn't just assume that that is what he wanted to hear without him giving you reason to.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #20
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
I guess I'm just curious because in my case I used the phrase in the specific context of a conversation with a partner or very close friend who was feeling vulnerable about themselves. I guess it would have been better to have said "well, they're clearly blind because you are obviously a man, there's just something wrong with them". I get that now, I was just curious if she was talking about it in the context of some random person she met in her capacity as a public figure, or if it's always offensive, regardless of intent.
And sometimes it is not so "clear" and people are genuinely responding to what they see........their perception.......or what they KNOW. When we first moved here, I was just starting my transition. The people we interacted with most knew what was going on; they tried and "failed" a lot. But I do know they were trying. I could not fault people for seeing what they saw. I could not say, "It's obvious I am a man," because it was not obvious to them at all. I knew that.

And I'm not talking about assholes who are out to make us miserable or are looking to tear down or discriminate against. I'm talking about people who are trying.......people who want to get it right and/or affirm us.

I did not watch the video recently (it was probably a year or so ago), so I'm not responding to what was said there because I don't remember her specific context.......just taking it beyond that to what others here have experienced and what my own experiences were.

The whole "trans thing" is not a common daily thought for the vast majority of people out there. In fact, I would bet that most people don't think about it AT ALL unless they're confronted with a story......Chaz in the headlines, etc.... So when they were confronted with me a few years back, the people I bothered to interact with were really trying. Honestly, there wasn't anything they could have said that would have been offensive.....to ME.

They said things that were narrow........or uninformed........maybe even insensitive.......but I knew for sure they did not *mean* to be that way. And I'm not one of those who says, "It's not my job to educate you." With something like this, if I don't do what I can then they'll most likely not do it themselves and will continue on being uninformed.

I do get that when you dig down really deep into a statement that, yes, it can reek of ignorance or transphobia; but I honestly don't believe that the people who are really trying are at that level. I just can't allow myself to assume that about most people.

Pollyanna, rainbows, and unicorns???? Probably.