Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Trans Zone

Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
EmpressM

How Do You Identify?:
human

EmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thank You

I really appreciate everyone's perspective on this topic. Being a Psychiatry student, a very similar discussion occurred in one of my classes recently. Personally, I had an incredibly difficult time accepting the professor's textbook response to the questions and perspectives of myself and my classmates. It is wonderful to have the opportunity to explore first person experiences and hear from the community. Only so much can be learned from theory and books alone. Even professors with good intentions can be short sighted and at times, dead wrong.
I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people. ~John Lennon
EmpressM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EmpressM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #22
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
uh oh, now I feel bad. I've used the statement "I see you as a man" before to partners who were feeling really insecure because people in their lives had insulted them and called them a woman, or a dyke. They identify as male, and that's exactly who they are to me. I certainly didn't intend to offend with that, though. Is there a better way to say "no, in my head I"m not thinking you're just a woman in man's clothing" or "no, i don't think you're a dude dressing up like a girl". Those terribly offensive statements crush people I care about, and I want to find a way to tell them that their identity is valid to me and I respect them.
No! You have NO reason to feel bad You have a wonderful, supportive attitude - I should have clarified that in my original post - I don't mind it when it's coming from a place of support.. it annoys me with hetero people who don't go out of their way to be supportive but will say "ok, I see you as a man" as an empathetic pat on the back. You're doing nothing wrong
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SelfMadeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #23
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressM View Post
I really appreciate everyone's perspective on this topic. Being a Psychiatry student, a very similar discussion occurred in one of my classes recently. Personally, I had an incredibly difficult time accepting the professor's textbook response to the questions and perspectives of myself and my classmates. It is wonderful to have the opportunity to explore first person experiences and hear from the community. Only so much can be learned from theory and books alone. Even professors with good intentions can be short sighted and at times, dead wrong.
Oddly enough had a similar experience with a professor in one of my classes recently. For me personally I find it difficult to sit in a classroom setting and hear someone talk about a community I'm a part of as if they have more authority on it than the community members themselves. That's been my experience anyways. Irritates the hell out of me.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
The difference here is that he asked you. You didn't just assume that that is what he wanted to hear without him giving you reason to.
I think it's splitting hairs...

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #25
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofSmirks View Post
I think it's splitting hairs...

Not if one is on the receiving end... I don't think it can be assumed that all transmales are going to be ok with it when they've given no indication...
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #26
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

When I hear "I see you as a... it doesn't matter what the end word is. If they don't see me as a human being the rest they will never see.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #27
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Not if one is on the receiving end... I don't think it can be assumed that all transmales are going to be ok with it when they've given no indication...
I don't think one should *ever* assume that an entire group will or will not be okay with something, which was sort of the point of my original post -- that while some might be offended by the "I see you as a man" statement, others won't be, regardless if they asked for the feedback or not.

But as to the "it's okay if they ask"... well... it's sort of like saying "I'm upset that you think my ass looks big in this dress. If I had *asked* you first if you thought my ass looked big, then it would have been okay."

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #28
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

I can definitely agree with that, Thinker. When I first started transition, I was living in a rural area in the northern part of Michigan. Few people had ever dealt with this subject before, yet I had very few problems with anyone.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote