Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

View Poll Results: Are you a Veteran???
I served in the Army 24 46.15%
I served in the Navy 5 9.62%
I served in the Air Force 7 13.46%
I served in the Coast Guard 1 1.92%
I'm a United States Marine 5 9.62%
I served in the Army Nat'l Guard 2 3.85%
I served in the Air National Guard 1 1.92%
I served in a Reserve Component (please specify) 3 5.77%
I served in the Armed Forces of another country 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #141
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

I haven't used my VA loan yet, though it became available to me in 1979. Before I use it, I want to be in a much better financial position then I have been in, all these years. I may well end up using it to get a trailer, though I don't know for sure, yet.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #142
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation

Just for advice its always best to wait to use it and use it on a more stable house. just saying. I've used my VA on a house years ago and its paid off and now if I get back into the job market again its nice to know I can reuse it later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
I haven't used my VA loan yet, though it became available to me in 1979. Before I use it, I want to be in a much better financial position then I have been in, all these years. I may well end up using it to get a trailer, though I don't know for sure, yet.

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #143
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fish View Post
Hey Vets--

Has anyone here used the VA Home Loan program?

I'm wanting to buy a house but this program doesn't seem to be used widely in my area...or so I've been told. (and I'm suspect of this agent so...)

Did it work for you?
Which Lender did you use?
Which lender would you stay away from?
Lessons learned?

Also, do you use USAA insurance for anything?

All comments welcome, thanks!

(I still have a case of MREs--the shelf life is scary.)
Hey Little Fish, I got my current mortgage with the VA home loan, and I did it through USAA.

I've had USAA insurance on my car for about 10-12 years now. I've haven't had an accident or other reason to use it, but setting it up was an easy process. The folks there have always been nice and very helpful whenever I call. Their website is easy to use and you can make changes or updates on just about everything.

I love USAA, so it just seemed natural to go with them when I decided to buy my house. I called them and asked a TON of questions and they walked me through the entire process. They have a program called MoversAdvantage that hooked me up with a realtor in the area. She was super nice and extremely helpful throughout the process. She still sends me "happy move-in day" cards lol. I got pre-approved through USAA and, once the offer on my house was accepted, was able to view the status online. It was a nerve-wracking experience (it was my first house, which scared the hell out of me), but my agent and the folks at USAA were fantastic. I also have my homeowners insurance through them and they walked me through that process as well.

I don't know if my experience was easier using USAA because it does cater to military folks, but I'm assuming it was. I'm sure the process would be similar with other military affiliated banks/credit unions.

If your agent is telling you that the VA program isn't used in that area...I call bullshit! It shouldn't matter where the house is, as long as it can pass the inspection. Like Theo said, the inspectors are notoriously fickle, but I'd rather have a thorough inspection on an investment of that magnitude than a crappy one.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #144
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,031 Times in 418 Posts
Wolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
The Commissary at Nellis AFB sells a case of 24 MRE meals for about $85. I think they are assorted varieties, but I can tell you this......they're 150% better than those canned C-rats (leftovers from Vietnam) that we got. Even my poor ol' dog wouldn't eat those.

~Theo~
Ok I went through basic at Ft Jackson, SC in the spring of '82 and they were still handing out C's at the time. I still have my P38 along with a dog tag hanging on my key chain. It's amazing how many things I've used that P38 for over the years!! Yeah.....C-rats were......well let's just say it's a good thing the military was not counting on them as a re-enlistment lure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I buy mine on-line from a site called TheEpicenter and I like to skip the full packages and just get the entrees. They end up costing me about $2.50 each after shipping.
You buy yours? You mean you are still eating them? Dude.......talk about high-speed low-drag. You rock. A guy at work that's a medic in the reserves brought me BBQ ribs are few months ago. MRE's have defiantly improved since I got out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
Hey Little Fish, I got my current mortgage with the VA home loan, and I did it through USAA.

I've had USAA insurance on my car for about 10-12 years now. I've haven't had an accident or other reason to use it, but setting it up was an easy process. The folks there have always been nice and very helpful whenever I call. Their website is easy to use and you can make changes or updates on just about everything.

I love USAA, so it just seemed natural to go with them when I decided to buy my house. I called them and asked a TON of questions and they walked me through the entire process. They have a program called MoversAdvantage that hooked me up with a realtor in the area. She was super nice and extremely helpful throughout the process. She still sends me "happy move-in day" cards lol. I got pre-approved through USAA and, once the offer on my house was accepted, was able to view the status online. It was a nerve-wracking experience (it was my first house, which scared the hell out of me), but my agent and the folks at USAA were fantastic. I also have my homeowners insurance through them and they walked me through that process as well.

I don't know if my experience was easier using USAA because it does cater to military folks, but I'm assuming it was. I'm sure the process would be similar with other military affiliated banks/credit unions.

If your agent is telling you that the VA program isn't used in that area...I call bullshit! It shouldn't matter where the house is, as long as it can pass the inspection. Like Theo said, the inspectors are notoriously fickle, but I'd rather have a thorough inspection on an investment of that magnitude than a crappy one.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
So you like USAA pretty well? I've received info from them but have been happy with who I have currently so didn't really look at it too hard. Maybe I will now. I've got a clean driving record so the rates should be good wherever I go. What did interest me about them more than that is their banking and investing options. Are you using them for that too?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfsong For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #145
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post
You buy yours? You mean you are still eating them? Dude.......talk about high-speed low-drag. You rock. A guy at work that's a medic in the reserves brought me BBQ ribs are few months ago. MRE's have defiantly improved since I got out.
If I knew of a place to get them for free, I would do that - but since I havent found that yet, I buy mine!

But no, I dont sit around the house eating MREs lol - they are for emergencies (although I did try the beef stew when I was testing out a little mini-cooker). I have a few in my emergency bag in the car with an emergency blanket, water, etc, etc in case I break down or have an accident and am stranded in the middle of nowhere; and I keep the rest in the house in case I am in a natural or man-made disaster and need food.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #146
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

I know of a perfectly good place to get MRE's free of charge................ however, I ain't reenlisting. :P
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #147
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Wolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
If I knew of a place to get them for free, I would do that - but since I havent found that yet, I buy mine!

But no, I dont sit around the house eating MREs lol - they are for emergencies (although I did try the beef stew when I was testing out a little mini-cooker). I have a few in my emergency bag in the car with an emergency blanket, water, etc, etc in case I break down or have an accident and am stranded in the middle of nowhere; and I keep the rest in the house in case I am in a natural or man-made disaster and need food.
Yeah we do that too.....prep a little that is....and I do mean little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
I know of a perfectly good place to get MRE's free of charge................ however, I ain't reenlisting. :P

Beanie Weenies.......I like Beanie Weenies and Ranger pudding
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #148
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDy*ShOt View Post
hey theoddz - is there a statute of limitations for filing a VA disability claim? I've just recently come to learn that a procedure I had done in 1999, whilst active duty (USN), qualifies me in a disability rating. However, I've been HD'd since 2001.

Thanks!
Apply whenever you want. I was in during the 70's and did not start my service connection stuff until about 2 years ago. I got caught in the backlog, however....they all the sudden are scheduling appointments and sending papers. It seems my case was transferred to another Regional Office...Lincoln NE for me....other folks I know have had their case sent to Oklahoma City. Things are looking up!

(The Oakland VA Regional Office (the worst backlog in the country) farmed out hundreds in not thousands of their backlog claims to other VA Regional Offices.)

Go to your local Vet Center Office and they can help you out. Some states also have advocates to help you file the claim.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #149
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I was at a service connection appointment today. It seems that at least for this region they must make a decision by mid june. This is good news.
I will not assimilate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #150
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,163 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Default Memorial Day

I did not know of some of the history of Memorial Day the official day of remembrance for Veterans. This Memorial Day and all days, lets remember the veterans of peacetime and war. Let's also remember their families.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/speceven/memday/history.asp
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #151
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
I did not know of some of the history of Memorial Day the official day of remembrance for Veterans. This Memorial Day and all days, lets remember the veterans of peacetime and war. Let's also remember their families.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/speceven/memday/history.asp
Memorial Day started around just post-civil war when it was called "Decoration Day". Articles I've read attribute it's origin to Charleston, SC in memory of the Union soldiers that died while imprisoned there and mass buried in an unmarked grave. African Americans and allies placed flowers on the gravesite and later built an actual memorial. Although there is no solid evidence that this story is true I like it a lot. After the war it was declared a national observance day. Interestingly enough, May 30th was chosen specifically because historically no battle occurred on that day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolfsong For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #152
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
I was at a service connection appointment today. It seems that at least for this region they must make a decision by mid june. This is good news.
Mid-June? That IS good. When did you first file?

I saw a thing on CNN where veteran's were waiting 600 days for claim approval and over than 900,000 veterans are stuck waiting.

This is 2013 right?

"After 10 years of war, three VA secretaries, and an increase in the overall department budget of 40% since 2009, an incredible 97% of veteran's claims are still on paper......

The VA has reported that the average claim wait time was 273 days. For the first claim filed, it's longer: 316 to 327 days. In Los Angeles, that figure is 619. In New York, it's 642. In Indianapolis, it's 612 days. And vets with first-time claims in Reno, Nevada, wait 681 days.

The VA has testified that it has hired 3,300 new claims processors, but it has failed to report that, because of staff turnover, the net increase in processors is only 300 since 2010. And, in Chicago; Waco, Texas; and Oakland, California, the overall number of claims processors has gone down."
(Paul Rieckhoff, 2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #153
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Quote:
Mid-June? That IS good. When did you first file?

I saw a thing on CNN where veteran's were waiting 600 days for claim approval and over than 900,000 veterans are stuck waiting.

This is 2013 right?

"After 10 years of war, three VA secretaries, and an increase in the overall department budget of 40% since 2009, an incredible 97% of veteran's claims are still on paper......

The VA has reported that the average claim wait time was 273 days. For the first claim filed, it's longer: 316 to 327 days. In Los Angeles, that figure is 619. In New York, it's 642. In Indianapolis, it's 612 days. And vets with first-time claims in Reno, Nevada, wait 681 days.

The VA has testified that it has hired 3,300 new claims processors, but it has failed to report that, because of staff turnover, the net increase in processors is only 300 since 2010. And, in Chicago; Waco, Texas; and Oakland, California, the overall number of claims processors has gone down."
(Paul Rieckhoff, 2013)

Rachel Maddow has done several segments about the backlog. She has been on this for a long time. She helped first bring attention to this mess.

I filed in Mar 2011, heard from them around Nov, sent in what they wanted, got another letter in about a month, sent more papers and then they disappeared. The Oakland VA Regional Office is rumored to be one of the worst in the country. I talked to them (in person) several times and each time they gave me the wrong information. I hate those people....lol

I let it go as I was on serious opiate pain meds waiting on a hip replacement and did not have the brains, energy or desire to follow up. Besides the longer they take the fatter my check will be.....<g>....claims are retroactive to date filed.

fast forward to end of april 2013 and I get 2 letters in 3 days.....one saying my case was transferred (NE) and the other with dates for medical evaluation (shrink and physical--shrink is done (yesterday) and physical is the 29th). MY paperwork is all computerized at this point. Truth is I'm not sure what is actually in there as I don't trust the Oakland folks. From what the doctor told me, his shrink report and the physical report is critical...

We shall see what they will do............hopefully I will just get the (deserved) 100% service connection and be done with it. But I should have an answer in 2-3 weeks and if I don't like it, then the appeal process begins.
I will not assimilate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #154
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
Rachel Maddow has done several segments about the backlog. She has been on this for a long time. She helped first bring attention to this mess.

I filed in Mar 2011, heard from them around Nov, sent in what they wanted, got another letter in about a month, sent more papers and then they disappeared. The Oakland VA Regional Office is rumored to be one of the worst in the country. I talked to them (in person) several times and each time they gave me the wrong information. I hate those people....lol

I let it go as I was on serious opiate pain meds waiting on a hip replacement and did not have the brains, energy or desire to follow up. Besides the longer they take the fatter my check will be.....<g>....claims are retroactive to date filed.

fast forward to end of april 2013 and I get 2 letters in 3 days.....one saying my case was transferred (NE) and the other with dates for medical evaluation (shrink and physical--shrink is done (yesterday) and physical is the 29th). MY paperwork is all computerized at this point. Truth is I'm not sure what is actually in there as I don't trust the Oakland folks. From what the doctor told me, his shrink report and the physical report is critical...

We shall see what they will do............hopefully I will just get the (deserved) 100% service connection and be done with it. But I should have an answer in 2-3 weeks and if I don't like it, then the appeal process begins.
*low whistle......say at 100% you might also be eligible for that specially adapted considerable housing grant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfsong For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #155
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default To My Fellow Patriot's

Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #156
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Riverside, Long Beach and Knott's

Queen Mary free admission to military, 40% discount to families of vets
Knott's Berry Farm, free admission too

West Coast Thunder, Motorcylce riders to Riverside Memorial National Park.

Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #157
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,874 Times in 2,475 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Good news, but we still have a ways to go on this:

Same-Sex Partners Of US Troops To Receive Military Benefits In September
Paul Szoldra, provided by
Published 4:15 pm, Friday, June 7, 2013

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bus...#ixzz2Vdg0sKZp

Same-sex domestic partners of military servicemembers will soon be issued government-issued identification cards entitling them to a number of benefits, Washington Times reports.

An internal personnel notice posted to the web Thursday states the military's commitment to upgrade their systems "so that eligible SSDPs and their families can begin receiving benefits/ID cards" beginning on Sept. 1.

From The Times:

The ID card Web notice refers to same-sex domestic partners as “SSDPs.”

The benefits include education, survivor, commissary, travel, counseling and transportation, but not what some consider the armed forces’ premium perks — health care and housing allowances.

The move comes after former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced he would lift the ban on same-sex partners receiving benefits days before he left office in February, CNN reports.

“These benefits shall be extended to the same-sex domestic partners and, where applicable, children of same-sex domestic partners, once the service member and their same-sex domestic partner have signed a declaration attesting to the existence of their committed relationship,” Panetta said in a statement at the time.

In order to receive the benefits, most couples need to sign a "declaration of domestic partnership," which states: “We are each other’s sole domestic partner, in a committed relationship, and intend to remain so indefinitely.”

The Pentagon told Times reporters they estimate there are about 17,000 same-sex couples on active duty, reserve, or retired.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bus...#ixzz2VdftshbM

~Theo~
theoddz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #158
traumaqueen

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
that grrl
Relationship Status:
happily occupied and awfully engaged.

traumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Nice to find this thread!

Army 1998-2009
traumaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to traumaqueen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #159
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #160
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,874 Times in 2,475 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
*low whistle......say at 100% you might also be eligible for that specially adapted considerable housing grant.
That special adaptive housing grant is available to certain Veterans who need help purchasing or improving a handicap-accessible home. It either supplements the purchase of an already existing one or serves to pay for the necessary adaptions to a Veterans existing property. I think the maximum allowable grant is something like $64K, or such a matter. You need to make application for this grant through your local VA Prosthetics department. I don't think you have to be 100% service connected Disabled for this kind of help.

This past year, the VA installed safety "grab bars" in my bathroom, for the commode, and they would have done the shower, too, if I'd have asked them. I have a step-in shower, however, so that wasn't necessary right now. I have prosthetic knees, so the installation of the grab bar in the commode room really helps. All I had to do was ask and it was done!!!

Don't be shy about asking for this kind of help, Vets, because VA care is about helping us Veterans to have a safe, decent life. It is our *earned* benefit. Yes, some things might be only available to Vets with 100% ratings, or "unemployability" status, but it's been my observation that a lot of things go on a case-by-case basis, depending on the situation. Always ask!!! If you are unclear about who to ask, you can always contact a Veterans Benefits officer (1-800-827-1000, nationwide number) or get in contact with a Patient Advocate at your local VA.

Semper Fi,
~Theo~
theoddz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post: