Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #1101
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Thanked 12,952 Times in 3,466 Posts
Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation
Default Daily OM

How do you feel when someone gives you something with lots of conditions attached to it? Here, take this, they may say, but now you owe me. This type of action isn't coming from a loving space, but from a selfish one, and the people who give in this way definitely aren't people who have given freely to themselves. In fact, their need for return on their "gift" means that they probably neglect themselves on a very regular basis.

We've all heard the saying that you can't love others until you love yourself, and it's just as true that you can't give freely to others until you're willing to give freely to yourself. If you always have to rationalize everything you do for yourself, you're not giving freely, and you're not able to take from yourself freely, either.

Many people neglect themselves because they feel that doing things for themselves is selfish. They feel that if they neglect themselves, they're able to help others more. But if they aren't taking care of themselves and their own needs, then where does their giving come from? Finances are a great example--how can you truly help me financially if your own finances aren't in order? How can you help me emotionally if your own emotional needs haven't been taken care of? How can you tell me to treat myself well if you don't do the same for yourself? It makes little sense. . . .

Give yourself something that you need today. Take the time and make the effort to add something nice to your life--you do deserve it. And you'll be much better at giving to others when you do practice giving to yourself first.
Spirit Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #1102
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

"The earth was created by the assistance of the sun, and it should be left as it was... The country was made without lines of demarcation, and it is no man's business to divide it..."

Chief Joseph, NEZ PERCE

There is danger when we start to draw lines and boundaries. This is true whether outside ourselves or inside ourselves. The danger is losing sight of the interconnectedness. When we lose sight of interconnectedness, separation, possessiveness (this is mine, I can do what I want) and infighting results. Even at an individual level, if we don't believe we are connected to all things we get self-centered and have self-seeking motives. We must think in harmony, balance and integrity. We must see our relationship to the great whole and conduct ourselves accordingly.

Great Spirit, today, let me think beyond boundaries.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #1103
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i was gifted with the most beautiful hand crafted dream catcher today. It came from one of Syr's Native friends, she picked out the beading and got it all done for me, i'll see about uploading a photo, it's so very nice!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #1104
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Default Daily OM

When we're angry with someone else, especially for long periods of time, we do harm to ourselves. It's such a simple concept to understand, but understanding it doesn't usually make it easier to control our anger. After all, some things that people do to us or to others are so bad that we have to stay mad, we have to hold onto the righteous anger that results from their actions. It sounds logical, but it's completely untrue.

When we're angry or resentful, we hurt ourselves. It's worth repeating, over and over, every day of our lives, until we're free of such feelings. Anger will never help us to move on to higher levels of self, for it stunts our growth and keeps us locked in negativity while we should be growing in positive ways.

Forgiveness helps us to cast away our anger. So do compassion, love, and understanding. We have so many gifts available to us that can help us to grow as people that are held in check by our negative emotions that we risk being held prisoner at low levels of being by them.

If we're going to move on, we can't take our anger with us. We have to leave it behind or it will hold us down while we beat our wings in a futile effort to fly. It takes a strong decision on our part, and it takes a lot of effort to follow through on that decision, which is probably why so few people are willing to make the commitment to try to live anger-free. It's easier to be angry than it is to forgive, but if we're angry, we're feeding our ego. If we get rid of the anger, we're feeding our higher selves. Which one do you want to be feeding?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #1105
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

"To me, if you're Indian, you're Indian. You don't have to put on your buckskin, beads, and feathers, and stuff like that."

Cecilia Mitchell, MOHAWK

The most important thing that determines who we are is on our insides, not our outsides. If we are Indian inside, that's all that matters. Being Indian means to think right, to be spiritual, and to pray. Feathers and beads don't make us Indian. Being Indian means to have a good heart and a good mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #1106
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post
When we're angry with someone else, especially for long periods of time, we do harm to ourselves. It's such a simple concept to understand, but understanding it doesn't usually make it easier to control our anger. After all, some things that people do to us or to others are so bad that we have to stay mad, we have to hold onto the righteous anger that results from their actions. It sounds logical, but it's completely untrue.

When we're angry or resentful, we hurt ourselves. It's worth repeating, over and over, every day of our lives, until we're free of such feelings. Anger will never help us to move on to higher levels of self, for it stunts our growth and keeps us locked in negativity while we should be growing in positive ways.

Forgiveness helps us to cast away our anger. So do compassion, love, and understanding. We have so many gifts available to us that can help us to grow as people that are held in check by our negative emotions that we risk being held prisoner at low levels of being by them.

If we're going to move on, we can't take our anger with us. We have to leave it behind or it will hold us down while we beat our wings in a futile effort to fly. It takes a strong decision on our part, and it takes a lot of effort to follow through on that decision, which is probably why so few people are willing to make the commitment to try to live anger-free. It's easier to be angry than it is to forgive, but if we're angry, we're feeding our ego. If we get rid of the anger, we're feeding our higher selves. Which one do you want to be feeding?
This really speaks to my mind and heart right now. Thank you, SpiritDancer.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #1107
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Dear SD,

Migwitch!

dee
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #1108
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Default Daily OM

Centering and Expressing
Communication

Expressing ourselves honestly in any relationship is essential to our well-being.

When we are in a relationship where we feel listened to and understood, we count ourselves lucky because we know how rare that experience is. We reserve our most intimate selves for the people who, along with us, cocreate an open space where we feel free to express ourselves and listen without judgment. These relationships, which thrive on open communication, can mean the difference between existential loneliness and a deep sense of belonging. We all long to feel heard, understood, and loved, and clear communication makes this possible.

Sometimes problems arise in the process of expressing how we feel, but it is always worth it to do the work. Even in our less intimate relationships, expressing ourselves honestly is essential to our sense of well-being. Whether at home with family or in the outside world, successful communication requires some forethought; otherwise we risk blundering through our relationships like the proverbial bull in a china shop. However, too much forethought can stifle us or cause us to pad our words so extremely that we end up saying nothing at all or confusing the matter further. The good news is that there are many methods that can come to our rescue, from meditation to visualization to journaling.

If the person we need to communicate with is open to sitting in meditation together for a set period of time before speaking, this can be invaluable. When we are calm and centered, we can count on ourselves to speak and respond truthfully. We can also meditate on our own time and then practice what we need to say. A visualization in which we sit with the person and lovingly exchange a few words can also be a great precedent to an actual conversation. If writing comes easily, we can write out what we need to say; it may take several drafts, but we will eventually find the words. The key is to find ways to center ourselves so that we communicate meaningfully, lovingly, and wisely. In this way, we honor our companions and create relationships in which there is a genuine sense of understanding and respect.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #1109
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

"...in Tunkashila, there is no time. Everything moves in the blink of an eye. It's as fast as thought. So there is no speed there. There is no time in between."

Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA

There is a relationship between thought and reality. Every thought is alive, and as soon as you think it, a result occurs immediately. However, to make something happen it may take a series of one thousand thoughts before you can actually see it with your eyes. This occurs because the Laws of the Great Spirit act immediately. When you tell a lie, you immediately experience fear. When you tell the truth, you immediately experience freedom. To the Creator, there is no time. For us to experience the meaning of this requires us to act on faith. Faith is belief without evidence.

Great Spirit, today, let me act on my faith.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #1110
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Default Daily OM

Centering and Expressing
Communication

Expressing ourselves honestly in any relationship is essential to our well-being.

When we are in a relationship where we feel listened to and understood, we count ourselves lucky because we know how rare that experience is. We reserve our most intimate selves for the people who, along with us, cocreate an open space where we feel free to express ourselves and listen without judgment. These relationships, which thrive on open communication, can mean the difference between existential loneliness and a deep sense of belonging. We all long to feel heard, understood, and loved, and clear communication makes this possible.

Sometimes problems arise in the process of expressing how we feel, but it is always worth it to do the work. Even in our less intimate relationships, expressing ourselves honestly is essential to our sense of well-being. Whether at home with family or in the outside world, successful communication requires some forethought; otherwise we risk blundering through our relationships like the proverbial bull in a china shop. However, too much forethought can stifle us or cause us to pad our words so extremely that we end up saying nothing at all or confusing the matter further. The good news is that there are many methods that can come to our rescue, from meditation to visualization to journaling.

If the person we need to communicate with is open to sitting in meditation together for a set period of time before speaking, this can be invaluable. When we are calm and centered, we can count on ourselves to speak and respond truthfully. We can also meditate on our own time and then practice what we need to say. A visualization in which we sit with the person and lovingly exchange a few words can also be a great precedent to an actual conversation. If writing comes easily, we can write out what we need to say; it may take several drafts, but we will eventually find the words. The key is to find ways to center ourselves so that we communicate meaningfully, lovingly, and wisely. In this way, we honor our companions and create relationships in which there is a genuine sense of understanding and respect.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #1111
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

"If you listen close at night, you will hear the creatures of the dark, all of them sacred - the owls, the crickets, the frogs, the night birds - and you will hear beautiful songs, songs you have never heard before. Listen with your heart. Never stop listening."

Henery Quick Bear, LAKOTA
Old 05-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #1112
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Default Daily OM

Resilience and adaptation. These are qualities that can be quite beneficial to us, but which we tend to struggle greatly with. First of all, we tend to do our best to avoid situations in which we need to show these qualities, for they're very often unpleasant. Why do we need to show our ability to adapt unless someone's put some barbed wire in our way? Why do we need to adapt unless we need to grow around a nail or through a chain link fence?

If someone does put an obstacle in the way of the direction in which we're growing, we tend to complain a lot before we even think of adapting to the new obstacle. We tend to say it's not fair, and the obstacle should be removed! Unfortunately, I think, we far too often succeed in removing the barrier before we ever have to learn how to grow around it, and we end up learning nothing from a potentially great learning opportunity.

We can learn from the trees who stand their ground day after day, just doing what trees do. They grow to be strong but flexible, and it's not their strength that allows them to withstand severe storms, but their flexibility. When they meet an obstacle, they grow slowly but surely around it, without a single complaint (that we know of, anyway!)

This moment requires something from you, be it patience, understanding, strength, courage, or something else. There are examples of all these things to be found in the natural world, role models for us to learn from and to take valuable lessons from. The lessons are there for us, but the question is whether or not we see and accept them.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #1113
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

"The man who sat on the ground in his tipi meditating on life and its meaning, accepting the kinship of all creatures, and acknowledging unity with the universe of things, was infusing into his being the true essence of civilization."

Luther Standing Bear, OGLALA SIOUX
Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #1114
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Default Native Traditions

Some insight on our traditions:
Native Americans place a lot of importance on identity and a person’s name. As a matter of fact, individuals frequently will have a new name bestowed upon them as adults and some will actually receive several different names throughout their lifetime. A Native American can request a new name and the tribal Name Giver, or kabir, will consider the request. He could consider the name request for any length of time from a few days to a year. He will bestow the name on the requester during a naming ceremony after the name “comes to him.” The new name will be somehow connected to nature, frequently animals, but not always; trees, the sky, clouds and bodies of water are also commonly used for names. Actually, anything connected with nature that somehow signifies a personality trait of the requester can be used. The tradition of naming even through adulthood represents the changeable nature of humans and that people are not destined to always be the same.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #1115
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Default Daily OM

Forgiveness truly is one of the greatest things in life. I've found that when I'm willing and able to forgive someone else, the burden of anger and resentment that I've been carrying around is gone immediately, and they no longer affect the way that I feel. I'm able to see the world in a brighter, more cheerful way, and my life is much more enjoyable. Forgiving someone else is sometimes important to the person who has caused us pain, but it's much, much more important to me. If I don't forgive someone, I sometimes cause that other person a bit of pain, but I always cause myself a great deal of misery.

One of the most ironic things about not forgiving someone, on the other hand, is that the other person very often doesn't even know that we've been hurt or that we're bearing a grudge. We're not affecting the other person at all, but we're causing ourselves to live our lives much less fully than we normally would. In other words, we're hurting ourselves and accomplishing absolutely nothing with the effort.

John Gray says that forgiveness strengthens our souls, and I believe him. My soul is strengthened through love and loving, and the more I love others--the more I actually show that love--the stronger I become as a human being. The more I forgive, the less that outside circumstances are able to affect me, the less hurt I feel because of other people's actions. Most people hurt us inadvertently, anyway, and most of our pain is caused by our reactions to what other people do.

Take care of yourself, and help yourself to grow and strengthen and live life more fully. Learning how to forgive fully, sincerely, and lovingly is one of the best things you can do to help yourself grow into the person you were put here to be.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #1116
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

"One of the things the old people taught me about the spirits was to never have a doubt."

Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA
Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #1117
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Default Daily OM

This day--it truly is all we've got. There is nothing more in this life over which we have any control at all. While our actions today may affect our tomorrows, it's still true that we have control only over today's actions and thoughts and reactions. When you get right down to it, you could even say that we have only this moment, for we don't have control over any of our actions even half an hour into the future. There's just right now.

If you want to grow and develop as a person, you must take some sort of action today to make sure it happens. That means sitting down and reading a book that's important to you, or even planning to register tomorrow for a certain course or seminar. It may not take place for a while, but by making plans today you can guarantee that you'll be a part of it.

I think that we're not taught to appreciate this thing called "today." We tend to take it for granted, for here it is--it has come unannounced, and we haven't had to do anything for it to become part of our lives. It just came. We appreciate those moments that we've worked for--slipping into a hot tub after a long and difficult day, leaving for a nice vacation, receiving the raise at work--but we tend not to see our right now as the most important moment of our lives.

So we tend not to appreciate it. But it doesn't have to be so. We can look to this day as the beautiful gift that it is. It really does contain everything, and we can see it all if we train ourselves to do so. You are living in a beautiful new today right now, and you have the choice to look to it for the marvel that it is, or to take it for granted as just another day. Which do you think will help you the most?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #1118
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

"The land is a sacred trust held in common for the benefit of the future of our nations."

Haida Gwaii - Traditional Circle of Elders
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #1119
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize."

Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #1120
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Default Daily OM

The Pursuit of Conscious Wholeness
Earthbound

Our bodies are living, breathing expressions of our consciousness and should be treated as such.

Striking the right balance between our physical and spiritual aspects is one of the most challenging aspects of existence. We are dual beings by nature, spiritual entities bound to earth by physical bodies. In our lifetimes, we are charged with the duty of nurturing and tending both with equal devotion and love. Yet while both aspects of the self are deserving of honor and respect, there is a tendency for people who are more spiritually focused to ignore, avoid, or dismiss their bodies. Similarly, many individuals are entirely ensconced in the carnal realm and pay no attention to the needs of the soul. In both cases, an adjustment is in order. We are whole only to the degree that we embrace both sides of our beings.

If the soul is the inward manifestation of our consciousness, the body is the living, breathing expression of that consciousness. The physical self provides the home in which the spiritual self takes root and flourishes. Just as we must tend to the seed of the soul to ensure that it grows strong, so, too, must we care for the protective shell that is the body to make certain it is capable of playing its role in our development. Though there will no doubt be times in our lives when we feel more comfortable focusing on the spiritual self or the physical self, denying the fundamental importance of one or the other can lead to ill health, emotional distress, and a sense of incompleteness. Both facets of the human experience play a vital role in our well-being.

The body and the soul are the yin and yang of our current reality. They are, at this point of human evolution, irreparably bound together, and many spiritual teachers agree that the body is one of the greatest vehicles through which to access the soul. In fact, many believe that our spirit has chosen to be embodied as an essential part of our spiritual development. Consequently, it is the responsibility of each person on the planet to forge a marriage between the two, so that these disparate aspects bring out the best in each other, creating a vibrant, dynamic, and workable whole.

Tags
american indian, native american, spirituality