Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #81
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

Rosie's stepfather, Milton Bromberg, is in the hospital. It doesn't look good for him to come home at all. His unit got wind of this news, and they have made plans to come to Maryland, and some are here now. Milton was a gunner in WW2. He talks of his brothers in arms as his true family.

Milton has had a series of heart issues, but needed a pacemaker this past weekend. He had surgery late Friday night. He is in intensive care. The Rabbi and Cantor are there, and family members.

Please say a few prayers for him, and his band of brothers. The few who have arrived are elderly, and frail. They are just besides themselves in grief. I really have never witnessed such love.

Thank you all.

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #82
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Woman at War 1 of 3

Page design By Jet
Source national Archives
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #83
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Women at War 2 of 3

Page design by Jet
Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #84
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default Women at war 3 of 3

Page design by Jet
Source national Archives
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #85
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This is a wonderful recording of a lecture given by Eugene Sledge, who is portrayed in "The Pacific". In this interview, he talks about "The Old Breed". This is what we Marines call the Marines who fought in WW2. By the way, I love hearing Eugene Sledge's Southern drawl. It makes me feel like I'm back home in Savannah, GA.

As I listened to this, my thoughts went back to Sgt.Maj. Leo Tucker, who fought with the 1st Marine Division during the War in The Pacific, specifically at the battle of Iwo Jima. Sgt.Maj. Tucker was a patient of mine, last November, at the VA hospital where I work. He retired after 28 years and an illustrious career. He is one of the many heroes I've had the distinct honor of caring for, in my career working for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Sgt.Maj. had everyone baffled, because at 84 years old, and with multiple serious medical problems going on, he refused to give up. Being a Marine myself, I knew why he didn't. As I watch The Pacific, and the battles portrayed in that miniseries (Guadalcanal, Peleliu, Iwo Jima and Okinawa...Tarawa was another horrific battle, though not portrayed in the miniseries), I know why "Top" didn't give up. He'd faced death before and just didn't give up.

Anyway, I want to post this for Sgt.Maj. Leo Tucker, as he now stands his watch on the streets of Heaven. This is for you, Top, so that others will know just what it took, and what kind of men and women won this war. Heroes all.

Semper Fi,
~Theo~
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #86
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Very moving, Theo. Great post!!

Ten-hut!
*Saluting Sgt. Maj. Tucker in memoriam, sir!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
This is a wonderful recording of a lecture given by Eugene Sledge, who is portrayed in "The Pacific". In this interview, he talks about "The Old Breed". This is what we Marines call the Marines who fought in WW2. By the way, I love hearing Eugene Sledge's Southern drawl. It makes me feel like I'm back home in Savannah, GA.

As I listened to this, my thoughts went back to Sgt.Maj. Leo Tucker, who fought with the 1st Marine Division during the War in The Pacific, specifically at the battle of Iwo Jima. Sgt.Maj. Tucker was a patient of mine, last November, at the VA hospital where I work. He retired after 28 years and an illustrious career. He is one of the many heroes I've had the distinct honor of caring for, in my career working for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Sgt.Maj. had everyone baffled, because at 84 years old, and with multiple serious medical problems going on, he refused to give up. Being a Marine myself, I knew why he didn't. As I watch The Pacific, and the battles portrayed in that miniseries (Guadalcanal, Peleliu, Iwo Jima and Okinawa...Tarawa was another horrific battle, though not portrayed in the miniseries), I know why "Top" didn't give up. He'd faced death before and just didn't give up.

Anyway, I want to post this for Sgt.Maj. Leo Tucker, as he now stands his watch on the streets of Heaven. This is for you, Top, so that others will know just what it took, and what kind of men and women won this war. Heroes all.

Semper Fi,
~Theo~
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #87
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

I love this thread. Thanks for creating it Jet. However, as a reminder, I'd like to say that we do have a Classic Movie thread where we can discuss film, actors, anecdotes, behind-the-scene stuff to our hearts content. Let's keep this thread focused on what it was intended - WWII.

Jet, thanks for the art, it's awesome. I know how hard you work on it, and I for one appreciate your efforts.

Theo thanks for your great post.

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #88
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
I love this thread. Thanks for creating it Jet. However, as a reminder, I'd like to say that we do have a Classic Movie thread where we can discuss film, actors, anecdotes, behind-the-scene stuff to our hearts content. Let's keep this thread focused on what it was intended - WWII.

Jet, thanks for the art, it's awesome. I know how hard you work on it, and I for one appreciate your efforts.

Theo thanks for your great post.
Thanks Carmen,
I wish I could take credit, but Andrew is who started the thread.
Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #89
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

Rosie's stepfather, Milton Bromberg, is in the hospital. It doesn't look good for him to come home at all. His unit got wind of this news, and they have made plans to come to Maryland, and some are here now. Milton was a gunner in WW2. He talks of his brothers in arms as his true family.

Milton has had a series of heart issues, but needed a pacemaker this past weekend. He had surgery late Friday night. He is in intensive care. The Rabbi and Cantor are there, and family members.

Please say a few prayers for him, and his band of brothers. The few who have arrived are elderly, and frail. They are just besides themselves in grief. I really have never witnessed such love.

Thank you all.

Andrew
Hey, Andrew. How is Rosie's stepfather? Any better?

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #90
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Vera Atkins

I have read an amazing book about Vera Atkins its called "A Life in Secrets" by Sarah Helm

This woman was head of the french section of the British Special Operations Executive---she was head spook of the agency and was responsible for sending many men and women to occupied France so that they could arm and work with the french resistance

both illuminating and fascinating that this woman who was a refugee from Czechoslovakia managed to run this agency and was Churchills secret weapon in SOE

after the war ended she searched down the fate of 12 of her missing operatives none of whom lived

for this woman to be in this position at this time was so fascinating to me and her story is a barn burner you wont be dissapointed
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mitmo01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #91
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitmo01 View Post
I have read an amazing book about Vera Atkins its called "A Life in Secrets" by Sarah Helm

This woman was head of the french section of the British Special Operations Executive---she was head spook of the agency and was responsible for sending many men and women to occupied France so that they could arm and work with the french resistance

both illuminating and fascinating that this woman who was a refugee from Czechoslovakia managed to run this agency and was Churchills secret weapon in SOE

after the war ended she searched down the fate of 12 of her missing operatives none of whom lived

for this woman to be in this position at this time was so fascinating to me and her story is a barn burner you wont be dissapointed
This book sounds awesome! Thanks for leaving your post here today!
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #92
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Dapperbutch,

Thank you for asking about Milton Bromberg, Rosie's stepfather.

He is still in the hospital. His band of brothers have been taking turns going to the hospital to sit with him when they are allowed to do so. I have never witnessed such love between straight men before.

These men have been sharing stories with me and others about what they endured in WW2. Hollywood just doesn't come close to what it was really like. It helps explain history to us who are visual learners I have to say.

The doctors are a bit baffled because of an infection in Milton's lungs. The Army is involved in trying to figure out what the infection is alongside of the hospital. It seems that the German's were also involved in chemical warfare, and Milton may have something along those lines. But he is fighting it, whatever it is.

I shake all of the soldiers hands when I see them. I pretty much am in awe of them despite their frail bodies at such ages now. What they went thru, and saw, and had to do. God bless them all.

Andrew

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #93
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Page design and graphics by Jet
Additional sources
www.eyewitnesshistory.com
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #94
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Wow!!! Jet, that is an awesome layout on Pearl Harbor!! I know how hard you worked on it - thanks for sharing your art, it's just amazing!

The is an organ of fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #95
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
Wow!!! Jet, that is an awesome layout on Pearl Harbor!! I know how hard you worked on it - thanks for sharing your art, it's just amazing!
Thanks Carmen
Old 05-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #96
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Jet,

You really need to get your work published on WW2. I find it awesome! I really do. I know in my heart and soul that the soldiers I have met from WW2 would also be touched by your work. You are very gifted and talented brother!

Andrew
Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #97
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanks, it was fun. It'll go in my portfolio.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #98
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thumbs up RIP John Finn

I just wanted to make a note about the death of Retired Navy Lt. John Finn. He was the oldest Medal Of Honor from WW2. He died May 27 (Thursday), 2010 at 100 yo.

I salute you and what you did for me and my country. Thank you.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #99
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

I just saw this!! Andrew, my apologies. But my sincere thanks for having created this thread. It was very thoughtful of you, and I for one appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Thanks Carmen,
I wish I could take credit, but Andrew is who started the thread.
Thanks again.

The is an organ of fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #100
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Ernest Taylor Pyle (August 3, 1900 – April 18, 1945) was an American journalist who wrote as a roving correspondent for the Scripps Howard newspaper chain from 1935 until his death in combat during World War II. He won the Pulitzer Prize in 1944. His articles, about the out-of-the-way places he visited and the people who lived there, were written in a folksy style, much like a personal letter to a friend. He enjoyed a following in some 300 newspapers.

Ernie Pyle Memorial

On April 18, 1945, Pyle died on Ie Shima, an island off Okinawa Honto, after being hit by Japanese machine-gun fire.[13] He was travelling in a jeep with Lieutenant Colonel Joseph B. Coolidge (commanding officer of the 305th Infantry Regiment, 77th Infantry Division) and three other men. The road, which ran parallel to the beach two or three hundred yards inland, had been cleared of mines, and hundreds of vehicles had driven over it. As the vehicle reached a road junction, an enemy machine gun located on a coral ridge about a third of a mile away began firing at them. The men stopped their vehicle and jumped into a ditch. Pyle and Coolidge raised their heads to look around for the others; when they spotted them, Pyle smiled and asked Coolidge "Are you all right?" Those were his last words. The machine gun began shooting again, and Pyle was struck in the left temple (however, the Ernie Pyle State Historic Site in Dana, Indiana, contains a telegram from the Government to Pyle's father stating Pyle was killed by a sniper).The colonel called for a medic, but none were present. It made no difference—Pyle had been killed instantly.