Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Trans Zone

Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #101
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm glad that the laws are changing so that people getting more rights around what they can do to their bodies. It has always puzzled me as to why I can get my chest added to with just a checkbook, but having it altered the other way requires a checkbook and analysis. It seems silly to me. Any other body part I want to change? No problem! 25 years ago I had elective eye surgery, I had it done in another country because they were much more experienced, but still, just a check, no question as to my sanity.

As for having top surgery without having a specific "male" transition in mind, this is changing quickly. I belong to another forum (not BF oriented) that has people of every conceivable stripe, and there is a lot of interest in top surgery for cis women and many other variations on gender, gender queers who just want to be non-gendered, and third gendered persons.

The requirements are ridiculous and are changing although not quickly enough. In my opinion this should be like any other elective surgery, a personal decision for personal reasons.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #102
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

The surgeon I went to here will operate on people who identify as gender queer/gender neutral, butch etc. Psychiatrists are becoming more accepting when it comes to approving people who identify as the above for top surgery as well...but just like with trans guys there are similar hurdles to jump as far as needing to convince them that you identify the way you do, that surgery is a big enough "need"( ) and the usual.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #103
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
The surgeon I went to here will operate on people who identify as gender queer/gender neutral, butch etc. Psychiatrists are becoming more accepting when it comes to approving people who identify as the above for top surgery as well...but just like with trans guys there are similar hurdles to jump as far as needing to convince them that you identify the way you do, that surgery is a big enough "need"( ) and the usual.
Yes, more respected surgeons are becoming open to operating on genderqueer individuals. For example, although Garramone still requires a letter, he is very welcoming to genderqueer individuals. His letter only requires the therapist to say that the surgery "is the next step in the transition process" (or something close to that...hell, how do you think I got him to operate on me? ).

Of course, you could always find a surgeon who didn't follow the Standards of Care and didn't require a letter, but historically the surgeons whose results were desired required letters.

Like I said, things are rapidly, very rapidly changing.

As an aside, who did your surgery, EnderD?

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #104
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Yes, more respected surgeons are becoming open to operating on genderqueer individuals. For example, although Garramone still requires a letter, he is very welcoming to genderqueer individuals. His letter only requires the therapist to say that the surgery "is the next step in the transition process" (or something close to that...hell, how do you think I got him to operate on me? ).

Of course, you could always find a surgeon who didn't follow the Standards of Care and didn't require a letter, but historically the surgeons whose results were desired required letters.

Like I said, things are rapidly, very rapidly changing.

As an aside, who did your surgery, EnderD?
I had my surgery with Dr. McLean in Mississauga (Ontario, Canada). He's probably the best known top surgeon here and has been performing top surgery since the 80s. He also didn't require a letter. All he asked was a few questions about how I identified, how long since I'd come out, transition etc. and then gave me all the info I needed about preparation, risks etc. He seemed more concerned about making sure I was making an informed decision than he was about identity. Much more refreshing than going through CamH where you run the risk of getting a shit shrink who makes you jump through hoops, and in comparison to those I know who got it through them, I thought McLean was a lot more professional and cautious about both the surgery and the follow-ups.

Personally, I was very satisfied with the results and was also glad that he didn't use drains (one of the reasons I chose him). He was also really thorough about follow-ups and scar treatment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #105
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
I had my surgery with Dr. McLean in Mississauga (Ontario, Canada). He's probably the best known top surgeon here and has been performing top surgery since the 80s. He also didn't require a letter. All he asked was a few questions about how I identified, how long since I'd come out, transition etc. and then gave me all the info I needed about preparation, risks etc. He seemed more concerned about making sure I was making an informed decision than he was about identity. Much more refreshing than going through CamH where you run the risk of getting a shit shrink who makes you jump through hoops, and in comparison to those I know who got it through them, I thought McLean was a lot more professional and cautious about both the surgery and the follow-ups.

Personally, I was very satisfied with the results and was also glad that he didn't use drains (one of the reasons I chose him). He was also really thorough about follow-ups and scar treatment.
McLean! I have heard great things about him. I'm glad you are pleased with your experience and results.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #106
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Nice! Yeah would definitely recommend him for anyone in the area or who can make it up here. Great surgeon and nice guy, plus his staff are all really friendly and helpful people too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:

Tags
lesbian, transgender