Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #121
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default 3 weeks

ok its been 3 weeks and here is a nifty lil fb ap that says it all

http://apps.facebook.com/quit-o-meter/

i seriously want to vomit after seeing the 400+ not smoked however good on me.

you can do it to!

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #122
hpychick

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine with a hammer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly Stuff
Relationship Status:
Jesse's Girl. She asked! I said yes!

Location: Minneapolis! Or as I like to call it - Many Happiness!
Thanked 1,417 Times in 499 Posts
hpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Stopping in to check and see how everyone's doing!

Stopping smoking isn't easy! And the fact that you're even *thinking* about it is a step in the right direction!

You can DO THIS!

GO YOU!

*insert sexy cheerleader here* lol

hpychick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hpychick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #123
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strappie View Post
HI Thread Stalkers and Do'ers!! lol

I have to apologize to each of you. I admit that after I had troubles with the e-cig. I was discouraged again and fell back to my old habits.

I have to tell you that it's FUCKING HARD and all you peeps that have kicked it, I can't tell you how PROUD and HAPPY I am for you! I wonder why the HELL can't I do it?? I know I can, I just haven't to set my mind to it. However, that is part of my problem.

When I quit smoking I have such bad anxiety I can't focus on anything while people say they gain weight from quitting I lose it because I can't stay focused enough to sit in one spot for more than 5 minutes with out losing my mind. I'm up down up down and then I "run" to make it thru the "surges" you know the ones, they only last 10 minutes but to me it feels like it lasts hours. I know some of you have suggested meds. I'm very scared of them to be honest. I have NEVER had to rely on pills, in most cases I don't even take the pills the Doctor prescribes for me for pain or being sick.

I know I have to do this it's something I've talked about and tried doing since entering my 30's and now I'm 45 and here I sit, still a smoker and NOT proud of that.
Strappie -

Do NOT beat yourself up for this. It IS hard to quit. It is fucking hard!

I know I mentioned here that I used Chantix to quit. I didn't use Chantix the first or second time I tried to quit.

The first time I used patches. And like you, my anxiety was so high that I lost weight and instead of being irritable, I cried at the drop of a hat. I remember day two...getting ready for work...I was actually whistling some tune...and all of a sudden I started sobbing. Just sobbing. It was so whacky. It took me 45 minutes to calm down just to call out of work. My emotions were ALL over the place. I also couldn't sleep and couldn't tolerate being awake. I would come home each night and drink a glass or two of wine so that I would fall asleep by 8pm. I just wanted to get away from thinking about wanting a cig. I last 3.5 months. Which means, I lasted 2 weeks after I finished the patches. That was in my mid-20's.

In my late 30's I tried again. This time I decided to do it cold turkey. I took 4 days off from work over Labor Day and along with my trying to quit smoking g.f., headed to the beach. Cold turkey was horrible for me.

HORRIBLE.

I literally felt like I was jumping out of my skin. Like my skin was crawling. I could not sit down, I was so restless. When it got so bad I would go outside and run down the street at full speed until I couldn't breathe anymore. Over and over again. Probably 10 times a day...and I am not kidding. And I really
didn't care if I looked like an idiot. I really felt like someone who was...well, going through withdrawal!

A week or two after the beach I got on the Chantix, which helped a little, but the withdrwal was over by that point. I lasted a couple of months, I think without cheating. Eventually, I went back. That was about 2.5 years ago (late 30's).

1.5 years ago I did Chantix. I smoked for the first week, quit on schedule and took it for 3 months. I got my provider to agree to give me meds for an extra 3 months. I have been smoke free since that time.

You say you don't want to "rely" on medication. I assure you my friend, you will NOT be feeling that you are relying on it. You will go through the withdrawal, same as usual. The difference is you won't be an anxious wreck, you won't be depressed, and if you cheat it won't give you that "zing" of "hitting that sweet spot" so to speak that all addicts get when they light up a cig after not having one for a while (It will just feel flat and like you are smoking air.). It isn't relying on meds b/c the meds ARE NOT KEEPING YOU FROM SMOKING. You are doing that all by yourself.

The last three days I have been craving cigs like mad. No idea why. Just really crazy bad. I almost bought a pack on Saturday and almost bought a pack today at lunch time. I am glad I didn't. It was hell quitting. Hell.

Know one thing...when you are one of those people who have a really tough time quitting, after you make it on the other side, you will be less likely to pick up again. It is Just. Not. Worth. It.
Hang in there. Seriously consider Chantix.

And if you are like me and connect bars and beer with drinking, don't go out for a while. And only be around non smokers. And switch to hot tea if you drink coffee, or vice versa.

Also, I hear that for many quitting smoking in the summer is easier. For me, that is SO not the case (it is actually probably the summer weather that has kicked my cravings into gear). I seem to connect "good times" and activity with smoking. People think less activity means less smoking. Hell, I used to put my pack of cigs. in my backpack when I would go mountain biking. When we would stop to catch a breather, I would be catching a smoke!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #124
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Another quit Story

Similar to Dapper i to have quit multiple times with this last one being my last, i will never pick up another cigarette again as long as i am given the breaths needed to sustain life.

The first time i quit back in early 20's was for my "children" , well that dit go well at all, the looked at me crosseyed or cried (they were lil ones then) and wanted a smoke, smoking had become my escape my "me" time if you will.

The second attempt well i had no idea i was going to quit it was one year after my dad had passed and my then ex-partner who was still in my house at the time kept "stealing" my cigarettes and it pissed me off so i went on an "ill show you bs kick" and i laid the cigarettes down. 4 mos later I was moving me and my kids and she called me incessantly from some party she was at talking about happy anniversary i received so many calls from her that night and having my kids complain because i took them out of there home in which i did, however i thought i had to be strong and not break down and cry like i wanted to,,,so i smoked a cigarette...

The above was 8 years ago, had i just cried i would be 8 years non smoker blah blah...perhaps

3 years ago when my youngest granddaughter was born i tried again...I went through all kinds of mental head games and trips and wow i don't think i made it 4 weeks.

So now this time whats so different now? well I prepared my body by increasing my vitamin intake especially my c vitamins as a smoker you lose 50 mg of vit c every time you smoke which is why you cant smell anything....so increasing my vit c levels to 500 mg above what i was depleting every day helped me to begin smelling things especially the tobacco which started stinking everywhere i went and because i was a smoker i stunk too.

I also picked up the "Easy way to quit smoking" by allen carr, great book im still reading it, i also read The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks...these two books along with my want and desire to be smoke free has truly helped me.

Then i read Incubus post and although i had a goal date of 4/19 for personal reasons having read hys post pushed me over the edge a week early and i was done and i knew i was done.

Im leveling out my vit c levels now, still reading both books and smoke free.

Because i want to be...it is after all for me and really it is about me. and f** those that say do it for so an so and blah blah because in reality its all about YOU doing it for you your health your well being etc.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #125
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post
I also picked up the "Easy way to quit smoking" by allen carr, great book im still reading it, i also read The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks...these two books along with my want and desire to be smoke free has truly helped me.
I remember reading about the Carr book a couple of weeks after I had already quit.

Aren't you supposed to be smoking while reading it? I mean literally smoking at the time?

I heard it is really helpful to people.

Maybe this would be a good idea for you Strappie since you don't like pills!

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #126
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I remember reading about the Carr book a couple of weeks after I had already quit.

Aren't you supposed to be smoking while reading it? I mean literally smoking at the time?

I heard it is really helpful to people.

Maybe this would be a good idea for you Strappie since you don't like pills!

yes and i was still smoking when i began reading it, there are a couple of chapters early on that will make you go wow, ok i don't want to do this anymore.

also he encourages you to smoke while reading however ultimately the choice is up to the individual and he recognizes this.

One chapter in particular that got to me was the "Devastation" chapter.

Seriously its a good read.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #127
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
yes and i was still smoking when i began reading it, there are a couple of chapters early on that will make you go wow, ok i don't want to do this anymore.

also he encourages you to smoke while reading however ultimately the choice is up to the individual and he recognizes this.

One chapter in particular that got to me was the "Devastation" chapter.

Seriously its a good read.
Thanks for the info.

I may check it out, just for reinforcement of choosing not to smoke, you know?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #128
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Thanks for the info.

I may check it out, just for reinforcement of choosing not to smoke, you know?
yes do, I actually found this book whilst on a hunt for a couple of healing books for a friend of mine, it screamed my name and jumped into my arms lol, I'd recommend it to anyone who is trying to quit has already and or is struggling with a quit.

I would also recommend the big leap as a side book.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #129
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
yes do, I actually found this book whilst on a hunt for a couple of healing books for a friend of mine, it screamed my name and jumped into my arms lol, I'd recommend it to anyone who is trying to quit has already and or is struggling with a quit.

I would also recommend the big leap as a side book.

Yer doin' so good little seester.

I will be joining the ranks this year.

Off to make mah yard sale list.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #130
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
Yer doin' so good little seester.

I will be joining the ranks this year.

Off to make mah yard sale list.

thanks so much big brother

Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #131
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

Good job Gaea!

I am 5 weeks smoke free today. Have thought about how easy it would be to cheat or just go back to it, but I like having that money in my pocket, and not having to worry about smelling like smoke any more. I can be around it and it doesn't bother me any more.

I feel like I am in a really good place with this now.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #132
scootebaby
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
yes dear
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,777 Posts
scootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputation

My 3 yr anniversary is coming up...which is actually my moms bday this yr 5/13....up till about 8 months ago i still got major cravings when i was really stressed or i saw an employee light up..the smell however made me sick to my tummy....since then ive not really had any cravings,altho i told jo the other day it could help me lose the weight i am gaining while being out with this damn back injury---she threatened my life (and you all think she is all sweet and stuff)
scootebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scootebaby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #133
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
Good job Gaea!

I am 5 weeks smoke free today. Have thought about how easy it would be to cheat or just go back to it, but I like having that money in my pocket, and not having to worry about smelling like smoke any more. I can be around it and it doesn't bother me any more.

I feel like I am in a really good place with this now.
Awesome Just G 5 weeks just as easy as 3 then huh? I too have no difficulties being around people or my friends that smoke, in fact the ones that smoke are equally as supportive if not more supportive.

So tell me do you have wicked crazy dreams about smoking? i had one an it flipped me out however also opened my eyes because in my dream i had one that wasn't my brand i get crazy sick and started just giving packs and packs away ...if i associate that with money then yes in my dream i was also just giving my money away to who ever would take it...nightmares..

I am at the start of my 4th week.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #134
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootebaby View Post
My 3 yr anniversary is coming up...which is actually my moms bday this yr 5/13....up till about 8 months ago i still got major cravings when i was really stressed or i saw an employee light up..the smell however made me sick to my tummy....since then ive not really had any cravings,altho i told jo the other day it could help me lose the weight i am gaining while being out with this damn back injury---she threatened my life (and you all think she is all sweet and stuff)
Im glad she threatened your ass ....eat more veggies and high in fiber foods, and such...drink plenty of water ...and NO SMOKING...

I know i know you don't know me however 3 years...come on now you and Inc are the longtimers of this thread..

by the way, Happy Anniversary to you and Happy bday to your mum

Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #135
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Awesome Just G 5 weeks just as easy as 3 then huh? I too have no difficulties being around people or my friends that smoke, in fact the ones that smoke are equally as supportive if not more supportive.

So tell me do you have wicked crazy dreams about smoking? i had one an it flipped me out however also opened my eyes because in my dream i had one that wasn't my brand i get crazy sick and started just giving packs and packs away ...if i associate that with money then yes in my dream i was also just giving my money away to who ever would take it...nightmares..

I am at the start of my 4th week.
I have been having strange dreams, but didn't even associate it with the lack of smoking. I also quit doing happy hour with my buddies several nights a week and have pretty much quit drinking at all. I need to start writing those dreams down...they are coo coo!

Congrats on the start of week 4!!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #136
Daktari

Wooohooooo Just_G and gaea. You're both doing brilliantly.

'grats to you too on your anniversary Scoote - and happy birthday to your Ma (it's Her Royal Greyness the Woodipotimus's 12th birthday on that day too.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #137
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootebaby View Post
Hey, scoote, tell us your quitting story.

I know that for me hearing quit stories really helped me, so maybe some here will find it useful.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #138
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
I have been having strange dreams, but didn't even associate it with the lack of smoking. I also quit doing happy hour with my buddies several nights a week and have pretty much quit drinking at all. I need to start writing those dreams down...they are coo coo!

Congrats on the start of week 4!!
Are you keeping yourself hydrated as well then?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #139
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,159 Times in 3,633 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am a closet quitter these days...
Though Gaea knows!
I watch and read about you all - so PROUD of you.
I am two weeks today.
I did the E-Cig for about 3 days and then just stopped.

I have not gained any weight, though I have not lost any. BUT - my vocal chords are healing and my voice is not so raspy - so this is GOOD.

That's all! Just wanted to share - YAY

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #140
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I am a closet quitter these days...
Though Gaea knows!
I watch and read about you all - so PROUD of you.
I am two weeks today.
I did the E-Cig for about 3 days and then just stopped.

I have not gained any weight, though I have not lost any. BUT - my vocal chords are healing and my voice is not so raspy - so this is GOOD.

That's all! Just wanted to share - YAY
Good for you for COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! EXCELLENT JOB!!!! KEEP IT UP!!!!!