Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

I think we should all strive to "be PC" which I would further describe as "avoid committing microaggressions"

I also think that it is shameful the way that people get dogpiled when they might say "black" instead of "POC," or leave the "IQQA" off GLBT, etc.

If someone does not get it exactly right the first time or even the third time, it should be pointed out to them in a non-escalated, non-condescending, non-shaming way

ALSO

it is worth remembering that what is PC changes all of the time

Remember when it was ok for Natalie Merchant to refuse to play "Peace Train" because she did not approve of Cat Stevens' conversion to Islam? She was applauded for that position where she would now be criticized

Remember "people-first language?" When you couldn't say "deaf person," but instead had to say "person with deafness?"

That is no longer seen as appropriate, as blind, deaf, and autistic advocacy groups have all rejected it "it is overly defensive, implies shame instead of true equality, and portrays the blind as touchy and belligerent"

Furthermore, there are politically-correct-usage guidelines that I have been made aware of, throughtfully considered, carefully researched, and then rejected. You can do that!
  • I was just recently made aware of QUILTBAG as a proposed new acronym for our community
    I am never going to use that. Never. It has "bag" in it.
  • also I do not think doing yoga automatically culturally insensitive (depending on how and whether the history is presented)

• I almost barfed when I read an article that said "calling things your spirit animal is racist"
    I get the author's point that it appropriates native american culture in a superficial way, but native americans don't own "spirit animals".

The ancient celts used animal totems, also, along with every prehistoric tribe in every region of the world.

I taught a whole workshop on microaggressions to 100 librarians right smack in the middle of liberal old Austin, Texas

but

Here I am, a bourgeois white woman, picking and choosing which PC rules I feel like I should have to follow and which ones I feel entitled to dismiss as trivial or silly.

Maybe I'm just as bad as Donald Trump
Old 11-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,386 Posts
Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

Malcolm X was an intellectual. He said:

You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.

What has Donald Trump had to say?

And why was Malcolm considered 'radical'? Because white people were afraid of a black man man who stood up the way he did. They had never before seen so many black people publicly accepting a message like this one:

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.
Angeltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angeltoes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #23
Uli

How Do You Identify?:
fat girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married!

Tournaments Won: 1

Uli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST ReputationUli Has the BEST Reputation

I think political correctness as a term needs to die die die. Most of what falls under 'politically correct' in terms of language is simply being kind, being respectful, listening to people when they tell you that a word hurts them and changing your word choices accordingly because it's the right thing to do. Every person gets to choose whether to be kind or to be an asshole, there's nothing political about it.

I just think there is perhaps a small faction of people who are currently being assholes and railing against 'PC' who might actually consider changing their behavior if we called political correctness what it really is: kindness. Some people will still be assholes, which is a bummer, but any change for the better is preferable to no change at all.
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uli For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #24
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,996 Times in 9,940 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
*edited* So what do you think it is that makes people want to distance themselves from political correctness?
I like how you define what the term politically correct means to you. I think that most people see being politically correct as being an outward form of extended politeness, mostly seasoned and tempered by kind-heartedness.

However, I don't know that I wholly believe that exercising polite mannerisms or tempering speech with tonal qualities embued with kindness is at the heart of being politically correct.

Before the term politically correct became part of my own wider growing vocabulary of terms I could coherently understand, I usually watched my parents, siblings, family friends or friends in my family's social circle practice choosing sides on a variety of issues: Whether the issue was some topic of importance heard on a news broadcast or some issue of political debate after a Sunday morning sermon at church or some issue of importance arising from a work related event in question.

To date, primarily, this is how I have always believed what being politically correct has nearly always been... choosing sides. Deciding where one stands on a subject of interest has meant that one is choosing to adopt ideas that they believe makes sense to them; which seems to fit perfectly into their own understanding of what feels politically correct. Now, whether the choice they make to rationalize their decision to accept or take a stand or be party to a particular choice is the best side to be on or an idea worth perpetuating is another unforeseen consequence in the politically correct proverbial pie.

For example, just because an person declares a particular belief or value to be true or the best way to solve any x, y or z problem, doesn't always means that their choice is the best solution nor does it mean it's politically correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
*edited* Do they dislike the term? Or do they resent the effort required to consider their words and the effects they may have? Do they see it as a sort of forced censorship? Do they think it is just foolish because it doesn't change anything really. A rose is a rose by any other name and all that...
I don't know because I can only offer how I think and feel about what I know or how I understand what being politically correct means.

If we're talking about the definition you hold of what politically correct means, then no - I think it's always a good thing to be responsible in your choices - to be kind, to extend courteous communication with a generous dose of respect; respect for the other as well as for ones self. I don't know that being kind and respectful can be turned on its head to be seen as a form of censorship.

You've asked some great questions about how one understands the tenuous differences between being politically correct or acting in reasonable ways to sustain positive interaction in communicative ways.

I know it took me a few days to put together an response to the questions you've posed, but I often wonder myself how others weave together their own insight on this particular subject of interest.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote