Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #1081
uglyboi

How Do You Identify?:
As the 'The Bourne Identity'
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cheerful pessimist
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,213 Times in 327 Posts
uglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputation
Default 3

3 years and 1 month!!!!!!!!!!

I can not believe I ever smoked. Nothing could ever put me there again.
uglyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to uglyboi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #1082
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyboi View Post
3 years and 1 month!!!!!!!!!!

I can not believe I ever smoked. Nothing could ever put me there again.
awesome buddy!! I will hit my third year in June! I feel Free!!
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #1083
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I am still addicted to this pernicious habit. I really need to quit! I woud like to know, are any folks still vaping out there? I heard some bad things about that too.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #1084
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I am still addicted to this pernicious habit. I really need to quit! I woud like to know, are any folks still vaping out there? I heard some bad things about that too.
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...ead.php?t=6228

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #1085
Loren_Q

How Do You Identify?:
Loren. If you want to know about me, just ask.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her, but I'm not that picky.
Relationship Status:
it's complicated...

Loren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'm here. Well, not often here on BFP, but here.

Is there bad stuff about vaping? You'll find news stories and studies that say that. You'll also find news stores and studies in favor of vaping over smoking.

Maybe all I'm doing is harm reduction, but for me vaping still beats inhaling burning material known to cause cancer.

The Vaping thread DapperButch pointed out here has some good info, but it hasn't been active in a while.

Good luck!

"Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power."
Oscar Wilde
Loren_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loren_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #1086
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I can say because of "vaping" I have been cigarette free now for 3 plus years. I am down to 3mg of nicotine, I started at 20. Soon to be nic free by the end of the yr.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #1087
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Clearly there are many bad things for us. If I could get rid of the tar and shit that's in a cig I figure why not! I've been vaping now for 3 yrs it's the only thing that has kept me from smoking cigs.

Good luck which ever you choose!
The Following User Says Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #1088
uglyboi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cheerful pessimist
Relationship Status:
Married

uglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputation
Default HONK!!

Drive by........................ 3 years & 8 months..................No smoke!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uglyboi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #1089
uglyboi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cheerful pessimist
Relationship Status:
Married

Default SNORT

3 years and 11 months - No Smoke!!!!!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uglyboi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #1090
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
3 years and 11 months - No Smoke!!!!!!!
Congrats!!

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #1091
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I think this is my third month smoke-free. I finally stopped coughing constantly. I coughed far more having quit than I ever did when I smoked. I smoked since the age of 13, but it was always off and on. I didn't get really addicted till my 30s. My dad was the same way. Now he's still a smoker and he's almost died a few times due to cardiac issues. He had a heart attack at 56. So, I'm 37 and thinking - how do I want to go out? I may not have a choice really. Some days I really want a fucking cigarette. But it also feels good to take a nice clean breath of air and not feel like I am committing slow Suicide.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #1092
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,075 Times in 8,585 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

This is my 6th year cigarette free. I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but it's worked well.

I was on Wellbutrin for 6 weeks and it cured me of my habit. After two weeks I was able to stop smoking, but I took Wellbutrin for another 4 weeks as my doctor suggested.

I smoked for 41 years and Wellbutrin cured me in 6 weeks. I'm still surprised.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #1093
uglyboi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cheerful pessimist
Relationship Status:
Married

Default HONK!

4 years!!!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uglyboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #1094
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
4 years!!!!
Congrats!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #1095
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,806 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
4 years!!!!
So fantastic!! You must feel such a sense of pride!

Congratulations!

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #1096
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,806 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
This is my 6th year cigarette free. I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but it's worked well.

I was on Wellbutrin for 6 weeks and it cured me of my habit. After two weeks I was able to stop smoking, but I took Wellbutrin for another 4 weeks as my doctor suggested.

I smoked for 41 years and Wellbutrin cured me in 6 weeks. I'm still surprised.
So wonderful that found your answer!

Just amazing!

Congratulations Orema 6-years cigarette free!

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #1097
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,075 Times in 8,585 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default Cold turkey is best way to quit smoking, study says

Cold turkey is best way to quit smoking, study says

Just the thought of quitting cold turkey is probably enough to make any smoker uneasy. But a new study adds support to the notion that people who give up cigarettes all at once are more likely to be successful than those who wean themselves off gradually.

Researchers looked at nearly 700 long-term heavy smokers in England who wanted to kick the habit. They instructed half of the participants to quit abruptly -- that is, pick a quit day when they would give up smoking entirely. The other half were told to scale back their cigarettes gradually for two weeks leading up to their quit day.

But even the abrupt-quit group was not exactly going it alone. The researchers gave them nicotine patches to use for two weeks before their quit day. During this period, the gradual group also got patches, as well as gum, lozenges and other types of short-acting nicotine replacement therapy to help them as they cut back. After the quit day, both groups got patches and short-acting therapy, in addition to counseling.

The researchers found that 49% of the participants in the abrupt-quit group were not smoking by one month after their quit day, compared with 39.2% in the gradual-quit group. By six months, success rates had dropped, but the difference between the groups was still there: 22% of the abrupt quit group was not smoking, compared with 15.5% of the gradual-quit group.

Even though the more cold turkey method came out on top, the quit rates for both methods were still "quite good," said Nicola Lindson-Hawley, a postdoctoral researcher at the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences at the University of Oxford in England. Lindson-Hawley is the lead author of the study, which was published Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

"Health care workers should offer abrupt quitting first, but if that is not an option, gradual quitting can be a second-line approach," Lindson-Hawley said. "We understand that people might be dead set against quitting abruptly so if the only way they would consider quitting is gradually then the results of this trial suggest it shouldn't be ruled out."

Guidelines on smoking cessation generally urge smokers to quit abruptly. Although some studies have seen no difference between the methods, others suggest that going cold turkey could yield higher success rates.

The high success rates in the current study for both groups is in line with the level of abstinence in the general population achieved through the Stop Smoking Service in the UK, which offers social support and nicotine replacement therapy, Lindson-Hawley said.

But rates are much lower when people people try to go it alone, Lindson-Hawley said. Only a small number of people get help to quit smoking, and a small number of people in the general population -- about 5% to 7% -- manage to remain smoke-free a year after quitting.

"There is really good evidence for nicotine replacement therapy like patches and gum, that are also very safe, and also Chantix (varenicline)" to help people quit smoking, Lindson-Hawley said.

In addition to the method of quitting, a person's attitude about quitting may help determine whether he or she will be successful. The current study found that participants who preferred trying to quit abruptly before the study started -- suggesting they were especially motivated to quit -- were also more likely to be kick the habit.

In the abrupt quit group, rates of abstinence at four weeks were 58% among participants who had wanted to quit cold turkey, but only 42% among those who had preferred quitting gradually. In the gradual quit group, success rates at four weeks were 45.8% and 34.6% among those who had wanted to quit cold turkey or gradually, respectively.

"There are two things that are important in quitting. One is confidence, belief in your ability to be successful. ... And the second is desire, the commitment to do it," said Michael P. Eriksen, dean of the Georgia State University School of Public Health, who was not involved in the current study.

The study did not detect a difference in the confidence levels between the two groups.

"One of the implications [of this study] is we need to really get people to understand that quitting cold turkey is more effective, it kind of gets it over with," Eriksen said.

For her part, Lindson-Hawley suspects that quitting gradually might leave people out in the cold by prolonging cravings and withdrawal symptoms.

"We hypothesize that you get it all out of the way in one go [by quitting abruptly]. In the gradual group, because they were put through it in a gradual way, they lost the motivation," Lindson-Hawley said. In support of this possibility, the study found that fewer participants in the gradual quit group managed to actually quit on their predetermined quit day, as compared with the abrupt quit group.

"Rather than discouraging people from quitting at all, [the findings] will encourage them to quit abruptly, to go cold turkey and line up whatever support you need," which can include nicotine replacement therapy, setting up counseling or locating quit lines you can call, Eriksen said.

"I used to smoke and stopped cold turkey and never touched a cigarette since and it's been over 40 years," Eriksen said. "To me it was really a matter of doing it and being fed up, but also liking smoking and knowing I couldn't stop gradually."

Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #1098
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,499 Times in 3,157 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

The first time I tried a cigarette I was 12. By 13 I had a job and was smoking about a pack a week. By 16 I was smoking a pack a day and continued to do so until I finally, eventually manage to quit at the age of 41. So cigarettes had been a part of my life in some sense for 29 years and heavily so for 25 by the time I finally managed to give it up, kick the habit for good.

Over the years I had quit many, many times a few times even for some longer stretches 3 months, 6 months, 9 months – finally a year, but I just couldn’t stay off the nicotine, I kept going right back to it until finally I met a really good doctor who helped me through it. Anyhow right now I have 10 good solid years without smoking behind me and my anniversary - 05/05/16 is right around the corner.

I’m not the best when it comes to helping people decide to quit or getting through the first few days of withdrawal but if someone has given up smoking, has been off nicotine for a while and is struggling with trying to stay smoke free, that I’m better about, and anyone in that boat, can PM me and I’ll do all I can to offer comfort, encouragement, strength and support. After all without that in my own life, people offering that to me way back when today I would not be where I am.

Even if you have smoked a really, really long time it is possible to quit. I’ve met people who’ve been quit for even longer than a decade, some 20, 30 years. I’ve met people who forget about a pack a day were up to 3-5 packs a day by the time they finally decided that’s it, they had enough and managed to give it up.
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #1099
uglyboi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cheerful pessimist
Relationship Status:
Married

Default No Smoke

4 years & 10 months!!!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uglyboi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #1100
Bubala

How Do You Identify?:
Lady Sunflower
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 1,669 Times in 615 Posts
Bubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST Reputation

Almost 10 years....

I started at 16 because I was a good nerdy girl with rebellious intentions. lolol

I was never a passionate smoker, I kinda smoked on and off, until I was 22.

I quit the day my father died. He was only 58. He did not even smoke at all until he was in his 30es and started working as a professor. An MD and a DPhil, yet he claimed academia mede him smoke. Shall we conclude therefore that intellect kills? lolol

The day after he died, my mother and my brother were planning the funeral. I went to work. I was a graduate research assistant at the time. I took a break with couple of friends who happen to be employed at the university as well. I lit one up, then threw it away. On my way back inside I grabbed the half full pack of cigarettes I had and crumbled it as much as I could I threw it in the trash.

I never looked back since, never ever. I wish I had never smoked. I feel like I never did.

For all pondering quitting at this time, do it, just do it! Poisons are many but choose life, always chose life. Throw that shit away. The power of mind, it's all a matter of a decision. You can do it!