Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation
Default "Is This the End of the World?"

I'd like to share this article,
and then hopefully hear some input.
The title of this thread is soley based upon the title of this Article

The delivery tone of the article is half amusing...the
Topic more intriquet than all of us put together.

We've all heard about most of these headlines.

I'd like to hear what's been going on in your minds
when these images and words are thrown before you.

In the spirit of welcoming all voices to table,
I'd like that this Topic to be allowed to flow
many directions, if at all possible.

This means Conspiracy Theories, Religious
views, Skeptism, Paranormals, etc...are all welcome.

As absurd as some things sound, to not give an ear to all possiblities
is to miss the opportunity to discuss things we may never
have given thought to in the past.

P.S. Dear Planeteers & Admins of Groovy Community Fuckery ~ I did not
know if this should be in the Red Zone, what do you all think?

With that said, here is the Article:

Is This the End of the World?

The new year has arrived and it is awful, what with bird/fish/crab death, floods, freezing temperatures, and zombie ex-Vice Presidents. So let's just put it all out there and list the reasons why this is already the worst year ever.
Birds have been dying off all week. There were the original gangsters in Arkansas, then their copycats in Louisiana. And now there's a threepeat in East Texas and a fourpeat in Kentucky.
Not to be outdone by their mortal enemies, fish have decided to die in vast numbers just like the birds. In God-cursed Arkansas and Satan-blessed Florida. I know this is a common occurrence or whatever, but still.
And what's with the more than 40,000 crabs that have washed up on English beaches in recent days? They died of hypothermia, so it's probably a sign that all the ice caps are still melting, making the water colder, and soon we'll be battling computerwolves alongside Jake Gyllenhaal. (Doesn't sound too bad, actually.)
The terrible flood waters in Australia apparently contain lots of poisonous snakes and crocodiles. But not dead ones. Living, biting ones. So that's great for everyone.
Rivers are turning green for no reason. (Update: Oh, phew. It looks like this was just a prank. Maybe everything else is too??)
The bumblebees are pretty much all gone at this point.
In non-animal related bad news, the 112th Congress starts school today, with a John Boehner-led Republican House that is hell-bent on taking away your health care and injecting you with yellow fever.
Oh, and speaking of evil Republicans, inhuman monster Dick Cheney has no pulse but is still trucking along, writing books and sporting a new lease on not-life. Meanwhile his underworld bride who will reign with him for a thousand years after the Great Fires, Michele Bachmann, might run for president. Terrific.
A guy in a wheelchair was shot by police in San Francisco.
It's really cold. There was snow in LA on Monday! And in Las Vegas, too!
Other awful, non-Congress things that are back this week? The Bachelor and radical Iraqi cleric Moktada al-Sadr. Coincidence? I think not.
Oh look. Lots and lots more dead fish.
Jim Carrey got old. That's not a huge tragedy, but, y'know. Time.
[Image via Shutterstock]
Send an email to Richard Lawson, the author of this post, at richardl@gawker.com.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,179 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Swedish birds fell to earth, too.

I think it's aliens.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

I think it's aliens.

They were 'scheduled' to be here in 2010.

Source: Sylvia Browne ~ Predictions ~ The Next 100 Years

This theory is larger than some think at first glance.
I have a few head tilting thoughts I've been marinating on.

Frankly, I'm slightly bewildered that the very short time between some
of these Events has not drawn as much World reaction as I would have imagined.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Where is AJ?!!!!!!

I just read where penguins were dying??
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Oh god! Not Penguins.

Now I'm all upset. I mean, I was "concerned" before, but now I'm mortified.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

I think it's aliens.
I blame Sarah Palin.

And, since she's an alien....this makes sense.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,249 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation

I was talking to a Native American Man in Fiesta this afternoon, and he was saying how he was raised in Arkansas. He said the bird deaths reminded him of a day when the sky turned green from the Nuclear reactors near there which have had nuclear accidents in the past...... Made me wonder.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Personally, I'm going with aliens, nuclear side effects and environmental, all of which at full scale are being covered up by government and religious sects in their neverending battle to control the masses. That is my conspiracy theory...
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
Personally, I'm going with aliens, nuclear side effects and environmental, all of which at full scale are being covered up by government and religious sects in their neverending battle to control the masses. That is my conspiracy theory...

Oh good. I was a little worried that my talk of aliens this weekend might have made me seem wierd. Now I see that I fit right in and am again...perfect for you.
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Turtle Doves...thousands falling from the sky in Italy.

On Wednesday, GeaPress reported hundreds -- possibly thousands -- of dead and dying birds in Italy. Countless turtle doves were found scattered in the streets, in flower beds and hanging tragically from trees "like Christmas balls" in the town of Faenza. Many of the birds that fell dead from the sky were discovered with a mysterious blue stain in their beaks.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

I'm going to blame the 112th Congress.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #12
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Coming Soon

To

A

Theater

Near

You

"Aquaflockalypse Now"

Seriously tho, I wish whoever is doing whatever
would do it to politicians, lawyers, and bankers
rather than birds and fish.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #13
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/01/...birds-and.html The 10 leading theories.

Last edited by Glenn; 01-07-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

Well i found the thread and i will follow it. Interesting conversation and theories last night...

So it wasn't really the fireworks after all??? perhaps it was just easier for me to think that then anything else....

Perhaps some are just too frightened of the whole "end of the world" thingy after all our fascination with it in the theater is just that fascination and not reality....Humans are mostly too vain to think that there is a possibility of demise..

Dinosaurs were around a long long time they didnt mess with things the way human do and they were eradicated...

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Birds

Comes to mind as does several other "movies" that have been made....leads me to question this

"Your words, your karma, your actions, your karma"

Movies about the end of the world, "The Birds" i believe was made before my time and i remember being a kid and it scaring the living daylights out of me...not so funny now...

Has Humans in general created their own Karma? Perhaps?

Have Humans been given the gifts of sight therefore create these movies, written books, tv series etc???

Is it Karma? Is it the end of the world? Is it the government? Are we suddenly offing animals because we dump chemicals in the air every time a plane takes off(mercury is dumped in the air with every plane)....

Is it Aliens? Perhaps....

Perhaps those of us that can see....will have the world we want...a peaceful one...

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post
Well i found the thread and i will follow it. Interesting conversation and theories last night...

So it wasn't really the fireworks after all??? perhaps it was just easier for me to think that then anything else....

Perhaps some are just too frightened of the whole "end of the world" thingy after all our fascination with it in the theater is just that fascination and not reality....Humans are mostly too vain to think that there is a possibility of demise..

Dinosaurs were around a long long time they didnt mess with things the way human do and they were eradicated...
Ummm, about this last sentence re: the dinosaurs. You do understand that the reason the dinosaurs were wiped out isn't that they "messed things up" but because a rock the size of Manhattan hit the Earth about 30K mph (Mach 40) pulverizing a non-trivial portion of the Yucatan peninsula and tossing that ejecta into the lower atmosphere where parts of it came down as superheated material and the rest stayed in the upper atmosphere causing a drastic reduction in overall sunlight reaching the Earth. Understand that there was nothing living on the planet at the time that could have done anything about that happening. If we tracked a large asteroid inbound on a collision course with the Earth right now WE would be facing the same fate as the dinosaurs and that, in fact, if we lived in some mythical state of ecological harmony (read no technology not available to our Stone Age ancestors) we would have absolutely *no* chance of avoiding being wiped out. As it stands, we *might* be able to do something to move the asteroid but that is only a might.

Look, species go extinct. It happens. Species don't *do* anything to go extinct and it's not their 'fault' when it happens. The average lifespan of a species is typically a few million years. We may go extinct we may not. Some biologists say that Homo sapiens is 'extinction proof' at this point in our evolutionary history. I'm not sure I agree with that. But IF we go extinct we will not have 'deserved' it anymore than any dinosaur species did. Nature doesn't care if we thrive and it doesn't care if we go extinct.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #17
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,627 Times in 3,978 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I am pretty amazed that we look outside ourselves for someone to blame for the death of nature...when birds die in hundreds and fall from the sky, we think the alians have done it.

its not them

why would someone travel all the way here to kill birds? Its not like THEY are bemused with video games and needed new targets so they flew to earth.

Its us. We are of this earth. We are living together on this earth and somehow, biospherically, the birds died of something....

is it the end of the world?

well, for the birds it is...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

aj, I'm well aware the reason for the dinosaur demise(chuckles) my statement however gave way to a full on explanation one that is reasonable and logical.

although we aren't being hit by a 30kmph asteroid coming right at us that we can see anyway, we are being hit with something, and that causes fear and disturbances all the way around.

perhaps it's just something weird, perhaps 100 years from now we will have been the dinasaur.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
I am pretty amazed that we look outside ourselves for someone to blame for the death of nature...when birds die in hundreds and fall from the sky, we think the alians have done it.

its not them

why would someone travel all the way here to kill birds? Its not like THEY are bemused with video games and needed new targets so they flew to earth.

Its us. We are of this earth. We are living together on this earth and somehow, biospherically, the birds died of something....

is it the end of the world?

well, for the birds it is...
Well, for the DEAD birds it is. Birds have seen worse than this. Keep in mind that birds are the last living descendants of the dinosaurs. That means that birds have been around FAR longer than we poor chimpanzees. As far as aliens, it's not aliens. I'm reasonably confident about this. The reason is really straightforward.

Interstellar travel may be possible but it would be prohibitively expensive for ANY civilization. Let's take a look at the history of manned spaceflight as a comparative. How far have we gone? The moon. Less than a million miles away. In fact, not even half a million miles from Earth. Everyplace else we have explored we have not sent humans, we've sent robots. Let's take about the three big problems with ANY explanation for events on Earth being because of aliens. The problems are non-trivial and they are as follows:

1) Distances between stars
2) The speed of light
3) Number of stars & planets total vs. number of stars & planets with life

So we'll take this one at a time:

The *nearest* star is 4 light years away. The nearest star with planets is 10 light years away. If you could build a ship that could accelerate to the speed of light (and you can't*) it would take you four years to get to the nearest star and 10 years to get to the nearest one with planets. Since you can't build a ship that can travel the speed of light (I'll explain why in a bit) it may take considerably longer than that to get from the next nearest extrasolar planet to here. There are no planets in the solar system that can sustain complex life--at least none we are aware. The two innermost planets are way to hot (Mercury and Venus). Mars has no liquid on its surface, has a very thin atmosphere and is WAY too cold (thus no liquid). The outer gas giants (Jupiter, Neptune and Uranus) don't have surfaces. The only other object that might have life (and it would be very simple life at that) is one of Jupiter's moons, Europa. There's a giant ice sheet that may have liquid water underneath. But that's it. I'm not arguing there is no other life in the Universe other than here. We don't know that and since it happened on *one* relatively ordinary planet orbiting a very common star, it's reasonable to think that it happened more than once. Intelligence is SUCH a good adaptation that I'm willing to go so far as to say that intelligent life may be spread throughout the Universe. But whether that life can contact another intelligent species becomes vanishingly improbable.

The reason why you can't accelerate to the speed of light is that as you approach C the energy required to go any faster approaches infinity. Since you can't create infinite energy you can't accelerate anything with mass can't go the speed of light (light gets away with it by having no mass--photons are massless particles). Even if you could, for instance, wrap a bubble of space-time around a starship (which, technically, you should be able to do) and then accelerate that bubble of space-time to the speed of light (which is legal) you would still deal with the problem of time dilation. If you took off this minute in a spaceship capable of light speed and spent one year at light speed returning to Earth a year later (by the clocks on the spaceship) you would find that a *hundred* years had passed on Earth!

Lastly, there's the number of stars w/ planets vs number of stars with *inhabited* planets problem. To understand the nature of the problem of someone finding us, let's do a little thought experiment. Imagine that you are in a lifeboat in the middle of the Pacific ocean. You suspect that somewhere *else* in the Pacific ocean there is someone else in a lifeboat. You both have flashlights one of you is using a red-filter and the other is using no filter at all. You are both shining your lights around. Now, you are looking for a flashlight using no filter and the other person is looking for a flashlight using a red filter. So even IF you could see one another's light in the awesome vastness of the Pacific, you might not recognize it as being a signal from someone else in a lifeboat. To make things even more challenging, when the Sun comes up both of your lights are washed out by the brightness of our local star. This is the challenge facing us finding intelligent life on some other planet and the same problem they have finding us. The filters represent frequencies of light we might be transmitting on (they might be using microwave while we're looking for radio waves, for example). The Pacific ocean represents the vastness of space. The Sun represents ALL the other sources of electromagnetic emissions in the Universe (remember that what we call 'light' is just a special case of EM radiation---from gamma rays at one end to radio waves at the other, it's all just electromagnetism). So any alien species looking for us or us looking for them is searching for a flashlight, in broad daylight, while you're in the Northern Pacific and the person you're trying to find is in the Southern Pacific.

So, to sum up. The alien explanation--before we get to motivations for why they would travel all that distance to go bird hunting--runs aground on the shoals of the physical world. In order to chalk it up to aliens, we have to assume that aliens would have some reason to visit this planet (up until about 120 years ago there was no reason for ANY extrasolar civilization to even suspect that there was intelligent life on this planet--the first sign we were here was the first radio broadcast. Anything else that one could detect (atmospheric composition, say) would be better explained by natural forces. We also have to assume that in the last 100 years or so this species decided that old radio shows made us curious enough for them to come find us. We then have to assume that they could make a spaceship capable of traveling a substantial fraction of the speed of light. We then have to assume that they came here themselves instead of sending robots. Then we have to assume that they decided, for no good reason, to kill thousands of birds in random locations.

OR we could go with a more parsimonious explanation. Birds use the Earth's magnetic field to navigate. The magnetic field is just part of the electromagnetic spectrum. The Earth's magnetic field is moving at about 40 miles a year. You know what else puts out an electromagnetic field? Look outside your window. See a power line? That's putting out a field. As is every cell phone tower. The most likely explanation (given that a lot of the birds had blunt force trauma) is that they flew too close to a strong EMF source and got confused. Keep in mind that not only can the Earth's magnetic field tell you *where* you are (if you have the right wetware and software in your head) it can tell you how far above the Earth you are since the Earth's magnetic field decreases the farther away you are from the center of the Earth. But if you are being thrown off by a strong EMF in your vicinity and that EMF source is, say, 100 feet *above* the ground suddenly 'ground' may appear to be 100 feet higher than it is. All that needs to happen for this to get really bad, really fast, is for there to be a tower on a tall hill. The birds, thinking that they are only at, say, 800 feet climb to be above the Earth and suddenly they are at, say, 5000 feet. It's a LOT colder two miles up than it is at ground level. That, alone, could explain it.

LONG before we have to get to aliens as an explanation or even, for that matter, assign cosmic meaning to it there are very natural explanations available and none of them involve us facing extinction or the end of the world.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post
aj, I'm well aware the reason for the dinosaur demise(chuckles) my statement however gave way to a full on explanation one that is reasonable and logical.

although we aren't being hit by a 30kmph asteroid coming right at us that we can see anyway, we are being hit with something, and that causes fear and disturbances all the way around.

perhaps it's just something weird, perhaps 100 years from now we will have been the dinasaur.
We're not necessarily being hit by *anything*. Let's say, for sake of argument, that the bird die-off is a function of them getting confused by EMF emissions. How would that be us being hit by something? We lack both the wetware and the software to be confused by EMF fields. We simply don't have the internal requirements to be effected by the Earth's magnetic field. Now, we may go extinct--although I doubt we would disappear in 100 years. Maybe a thousand. But let's look at our extinction chances.

Keep in mind that humans appear to be the product of a series of ice ages. When there are ice ages, a LOT of moisture gets locked up in the ice sheets. Large parts of sub-Saharan Africa become very dry. This forced our ancestors out of the jungle (where pickings became slim) to the savannah (where pickings were better but where there were also more predators that like chimpanzee tartar). Genetically, humans are what is known as a 'small' species meaning that there is *less* genetic diversity than one would expect from a population our size with our geographic dispersal. The only available explanation for this is that ALL human beings are the descendants of a population of no more than about 10,000 breeding pairs living in sub-Saharan Africa around 75K years ago. That means that at one point our species was *almost* wiped out and yet we weren't.

Now, keep in mind that when this happened there were no fishhooks, all tools were made of wood, bone or stone. There was no metalworking. No sewing. (And so no sewn clothing) No farming. We hadn't even begun domesticating dogs yet! Now, barring a nuclear war (which would probably wipe us out) or a large rock hitting the Earth (which would, if the past is any guide, take out most everything living on land larger than a house cat) there's not a WHOLE lot we can do that would make us go extinct. We could lose our civilization but that wouldn't make us extinct, it would just cause us to repeat the Dark Ages (which I would strongly prefer we not go through again).

There is one other set of circumstances, VERY far off in the future, that if we haven't gotten smart WILL spell our doom. All stars are a balance between gravity (which wants to pull everything together) and pressure (which wants to expand the star). As the fuel of a star is exhausted, it expands. When our local star reaches the end of its life in about 5 *billion* years, it is going to expand so that the outer edge of the star (the corona) will start at about halfway between our orbit and the orbit of Mars. Needless to say that the day THAT happens will be a very bad (and short) day on Earth. If we are stupid enough to have not gotten off the planet by then, we're doomed.

Cheers
Aj

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post: