Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 10-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by desd View Post
I have not had the weight loss or constant thirst, though some days over others I get insanely thirsty, and some days I just think water is gross, lol.
I have moments where I don't like how the water tastes either. That is most likely because I am spoiled by the fact that we have a uv filter at work. Perhaps need to look into getting one for the house so my water intake doesn't drop when I get home.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicaly View Post
I have moments where I don't like how the water tastes either. That is most likely because I am spoiled by the fact that we have a uv filter at work. Perhaps need to look into getting one for the house so my water intake doesn't drop when I get home.
Try getting one of those Brita Filter Pitchers, it makes the water taste so much better and if you get bored with just plain water, try using fresh fruits, lemmons, limes in an infuser pitcher, it's natural. Just don't put so much fruit in it.

PS. As far as substitute sugar like splenda goes, my regular physician told me NOT to use artificial sweetners of any kind, they aren't healthy for you she says.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

The bigest problem I have had lately if the feeling like I am drunk as a shit house rat,my brain feels like its a sleep and I stagger when I walk.Exasution is in this too cause I am really week as a kitten.I finely ate some ice cream and a candy bar and started feeling better even tho I have had a couple of minor bouts of this when it hits I just go to bed and try to sleep it off.Yes,I called the doc and have an appointment for Tuesday.I did check my blood sugar and it comes in below or near as 100 when I test.My doc didn't seem to worried about it when I called. I have a nasty taste in my mouth too like real bad breath even tho I brush my teeth and use super pro mouth wash,I also keep pepper mints with me incase I need them.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
The bigest problem I have had lately if the feeling like I am drunk as a shit house rat,my brain feels like its a sleep and I stagger when I walk.Exasution is in this too cause I am really week as a kitten.I finely ate some ice cream and a candy bar and started feeling better even tho I have had a couple of minor bouts of this when it hits I just go to bed and try to sleep it off.Yes,I called the doc and have an appointment for Tuesday.I did check my blood sugar and it comes in below or near as 100 when I test.My doc didn't seem to worried about it when I called. I have a nasty taste in my mouth too like real bad breath even tho I brush my teeth and use super pro mouth wash,I also keep pepper mints with me incase I need them.
Is this after you wake up in the morning Before eating a meal that your sugar is lower than 100 ?
You could be having a medication reaction, or could be getting ill with something too. Please have some blood work done and go to the doctor while you are fasting so they can do an A1C test and fasting glucose on you.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
Is this after you wake up in the morning Before eating a meal that your sugar is lower than 100 ?
You could be having a medication reaction, or could be getting ill with something too. Please have some blood work done and go to the doctor while you are fasting so they can do an A1C test and fasting glucose on you.
I have been testing in the morning right after I get up,it has been anywhere from 80 to 104,mostly it has been in the mid to high 80's.For it to be any higher than that I would have to eat something about 5 or 6 a.m. I test between 8:30 and 9:00 A.M.
I wen't to see my pain care doc for a follow up on my injection,he said the same thing about it could be the meds I am on.The meds he give me never bother me an do take care of the pain.He said one thing about the odd sleeping problems I am having that is the being tired a lot even tho I do sleep at night or think I do,with the exception of letting the girls out when they need to.He suggested I go to a sleep study just to make sure that I don't have some issue I am not aware of, I told him I would think about it..and I will.
Next Tuesday I an seeing my g.p. to check the rest out and change meds if need be as well as more blood work just to be on the safe side,I had some done two weeks ago that was just fine...at least they didn't call and say there was anything to worry about.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:

Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

I do use a Brita Filter at home, I can taste the difference between it and a UV Filter unfortunately, but it is for sure better than nothing.

Now that I am up to my full dose of Metformin 2000MG a night, I feel like total crap in the morning. I have got to get past this part, cause I am tired of feeling bad in the morning. I have a job I need to be able to get up and go to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Oh metformin sucks, for sure! Blech.

Necessary evil until you're all healthy!
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,109 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

I have a new, awesome primary care doc who has immediately set me up with an in-house, special pharmacist/diabetic class...(unlike the delays and mess ups when I worked for the hospital and then the state Medicaid office...both of which couldn't get it together regarding employee benefits or diabetic supplies) ...

I've had two, one hour meetings with my pharmacist where she goes over my meds in consideration to my other health concerns, nutritional stuff, paperwork, etc...

They set me up with a prodigy meter and tiny lancet.
When I told her I was having trouble each morning getting the lancet right (sometimes using 3 strips before I got the meter to read correctly)...she gave me "soft touch" lancets...maybe I'm still doing things wrong but I still had trouble this morning. It frustrates me because my skin is already very sensitive from the Lupus. My hands hurt every morning when I get up...so I tried the lancet on my legs. That just results in tiny bruises which started looking like track marks, but not enough blood for my strips to pick up.

Then...
I think the Metformin is causing issues...but I'm willing to wait it out for a while
My primary care had put me on steroids...which the pharmacist says will mess with my numbers. She was disappointed that we can't get a baseline until I'm off the steroids.

I deal with chronic, intense pain almost daily from other issues...I can't tell if it's the Metformin causing my muscles to hurt so bad, and making me so tired...or is it the Metformin or IBS messing with my tummy?

According to my last tests, my liver numbers were off...then the pharmacist said that during the night, my liver will dump too much sugar into my system, so she wanted me taking the Metformin at dinner. But I've noticed I've been waking up in more pain than usual. Not sure if it's the meds??

Life has been good to me and I'm blessed to have found a great doctor and care team...I'm sure we will work it out. It's just a bit frustrating.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Holy heck Kenna, that is a lot to deal with all at once!

I would not want to give you any advice, as your issues probably play off of one and other...hard to pin point one thing that will help. But... I will say once again that metformin is not for everyone, i can't take it and i have a cast iron stomach!

Also you mentioned your blood sticks for your meter...i can only draw blood on my ring and small fingers, and if you stick on the sides about a quarter inch below the nails they bleed pretty good with minimal pain later, as you rarely touch those areas. I hope you are using something that springs forward and sticks you, rather than jabbing yourself...that is very difficult to do on a regular basis.

Blessings!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Kenna,
My diabetic nurse has told me to stick my fingers on the right side of thumb then move to different finger each day then go back to the thumb again and stick the opposite side and do that same thing on opposite side of the other fingers, that way no one finger gets stuck more than once a week. you can use both hands that way. It lessens the issues with pricking the nerves on the bottoms of your fingertips and causing nerve damage. She says it's the correct way to take your blood sticks. And Ms. Tinkerbelly is right, they do bleed the right amount there and you can always squeeze your finger to get more blood out to soak up to read. Try that see if it helps.

And if you have IBS , taking metformin can cause it to be more of an issue in my opinion, because metformin is widely known for causing loose bowels by itself. So that can be a contributing factor you may wish to discuss with your doctor. But always eat when taking metformin because you don't want a sudden blood sugar drop.
I take metformin during breakfast and at supper time... so 2x a day for me and I make sure I take it when I eat or there shortly after.

I'm sorry you are going through so much, I wish there was more I could do, but that's all between you and your doctors and care team. I can't speculate anymore than I have. I wish you wellness Kenna.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:

I have to say if you feel that your metformin is making you sick or worse in some way then listen to your body on that and make your doctor listen. I ended up in the hospital for almost a week due to an intolerance to metformin. I kept feeling worse and worse and my doctors told me to just wait a few more weeks. Needless to say it didn't do me any good and I should have forced the doctors to listen.

I am taking insulin now and I am so much better. I feel alive again. I have the opportunity to eat all the right and healthy things and exercise right and maybe eventually even get off the insulin.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
bright_arrow

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenna View Post
I have a new, awesome primary care doc who has immediately set me up with an in-house, special pharmacist/diabetic class...(unlike the delays and mess ups when I worked for the hospital and then the state Medicaid office...both of which couldn't get it together regarding employee benefits or diabetic supplies) ...

I've had two, one hour meetings with my pharmacist where she goes over my meds in consideration to my other health concerns, nutritional stuff, paperwork, etc...

They set me up with a prodigy meter and tiny lancet.
When I told her I was having trouble each morning getting the lancet right (sometimes using 3 strips before I got the meter to read correctly)...she gave me "soft touch" lancets...maybe I'm still doing things wrong but I still had trouble this morning. It frustrates me because my skin is already very sensitive from the Lupus. My hands hurt every morning when I get up...so I tried the lancet on my legs. That just results in tiny bruises which started looking like track marks, but not enough blood for my strips to pick up.

Then...
I think the Metformin is causing issues...but I'm willing to wait it out for a while
My primary care had put me on steroids...which the pharmacist says will mess with my numbers. She was disappointed that we can't get a baseline until I'm off the steroids.

I deal with chronic, intense pain almost daily from other issues...I can't tell if it's the Metformin causing my muscles to hurt so bad, and making me so tired...or is it the Metformin or IBS messing with my tummy?

According to my last tests, my liver numbers were off...then the pharmacist said that during the night, my liver will dump too much sugar into my system, so she wanted me taking the Metformin at dinner. But I've noticed I've been waking up in more pain than usual. Not sure if it's the meds??

Life has been good to me and I'm blessed to have found a great doctor and care team...I'm sure we will work it out. It's just a bit frustrating.
I went from Metformin to Metformin ER [Extended Release] and while it initially causes tummy problems, it seems to lessen [eventually]. My diabetic educator also told me that eating sugary stuff + metformin = increased tummy problems.

My liver enzymes were elevated last time they took blood for my A1C and the test after that, and then all was okay after they did a sonogram, etc. Tests came back clear.

I have an initial appointment in the next few weeks with a female doctor that specializes in OBGYN but also is a GP and familiar with diabetes. All-in-one for me and she is in my network so hoping she is pretty awesome. I've been haphazard with my meds but eating better than I ever have (with the occasional boba tea night) and getting back to exercise so I am crossing my fingers and hoping a lot my A1C has dropped from the 9.9 it has raised to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #13
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:

My journey with diabetes has certainly been interesting. What I was originally told was Type 2 is actually Type 1. The doctor insinuated that because of their misdiagnosis originally with the meds they put me on it most likely made things worse for me. At this point I will be insulin dependent for life. She said there is really not much known as to how it happens. Since it runs in my family line it's a good chance that my genes caused it. I can own it though and say up until recently I wasn't a super healthy eater.

So going forward it is all about managing it as best as I can. I am eating more salad then I have ever eaten in my life. I am exercising a ton and just trying to be healthy in general. As always I say though listen to your body and if you feel something is off push your doctor to listen.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #14
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,109 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_arrow View Post
I went from Metformin to Metformin ER [Extended Release] and while it initially causes tummy problems, it seems to lessen [eventually]. My diabetic educator also told me that eating sugary stuff + metformin = increased tummy problems.

My liver enzymes were elevated last time they took blood for my A1C and the test after that, and then all was okay after they did a sonogram, etc. Tests came back clear.

I have an initial appointment in the next few weeks with a female doctor that specializes in OBGYN but also is a GP and familiar with diabetes. All-in-one for me and she is in my network so hoping she is pretty awesome. I've been haphazard with my meds but eating better than I ever have (with the occasional boba tea night) and getting back to exercise so I am crossing my fingers and hoping a lot my A1C has dropped from the 9.9 it has raised to.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!
I had been on the extended release... but since my last post it caused me major issues, so they recently switched me to Actos. I'm not familiar with it but seems I'm tolerating it well so far. I don't wake up with so much muscle pain.... but with everything going on, it's hard to judge if pain is disability related or medication induced.

Just Monday my doc sent me for special tests on my liver ("numbers jumped high since last labs) and an echocardiogram on heart for recently diagnosed chronic tachycardia.

The last day of February, I met the new "Lupus doctor" (rheumatologist) who put me on antibiotics and wants to "dump me on" Plaquinil (spelling?)...

Today I got approved for a special pharmacy program where six of my nine meds will cost only $20 total....including the Actos and Lidocaine patches.

I can certainly say that my tummy sure is better on the Actos. ...The Metformin was so bad that I stopped taking it about 2 weeks before my follow up with my diabetes coach and doctor.

I do hope the Actos keeps my numbers down like the Metformin had. For years I've struggled with the thought of "I don't want to be as bad as Gramma was."...

At least I haven't been on steroids in a couple months...
And I've been trying hard to eat better, especially at breakfast.

They tested my A1C last week....I won't know the update until next follow up in 3 weeks.
I hope the month that I had to do the "on again off again" with the Metformin to control side affects, that it didn't drive my numbers back up. Dr. A will not be happy.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #15
bright_arrow

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenna View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!
I had been on the extended release... but since my last post it caused me major issues, so they recently switched me to Actos. I'm not familiar with it but seems I'm tolerating it well so far. I don't wake up with so much muscle pain.... but with everything going on, it's hard to judge if pain is disability related or medication induced.

Just Monday my doc sent me for special tests on my liver ("numbers jumped high since last labs) and an echocardiogram on heart for recently diagnosed chronic tachycardia.

The last day of February, I met the new "Lupus doctor" (rheumatologist) who put me on antibiotics and wants to "dump me on" Plaquinil (spelling?)...

Today I got approved for a special pharmacy program where six of my nine meds will cost only $20 total....including the Actos and Lidocaine patches.

I can certainly say that my tummy sure is better on the Actos. ...The Metformin was so bad that I stopped taking it about 2 weeks before my follow up with my diabetes coach and doctor.

I do hope the Actos keeps my numbers down like the Metformin had. For years I've struggled with the thought of "I don't want to be as bad as Gramma was."...

At least I haven't been on steroids in a couple months...
And I've been trying hard to eat better, especially at breakfast.

They tested my A1C last week....I won't know the update until next follow up in 3 weeks.
I hope the month that I had to do the "on again off again" with the Metformin to control side affects, that it didn't drive my numbers back up. Dr. A will not be happy.
Without meds, my fasting is averaging 250. Since the A1C is every three months, I imagine not being on it for a month will have an impact.

I had managed to get my number down to 7.8 but then I was no longer being held accountable and not managing my meds well so it jumped up again. I just met with my new primary and she was very nice, she can fill my meds, and I went in for bloodwork for my A1C so we'll see! I am assuming they will call me because we never scheduled a F/U appointment.

I have never heard of the new med you're on but I am glad that you got them discounted!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post: