Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #181
Butterbean

How Do You Identify?:
----
Preferred Pronoun?:
----

Thanked 2,220 Times in 772 Posts
Butterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

13 years I was diagnosed with:

Hyperprolactinemia- an extremely low grade cancerous brain tumor of the pituitary. In my case, the hypothalamus is affected.

No surgery for its removal. It was successfully shrunk down to micro size with synthetic dopamine, known as "Parlodel." I'll take this for the rest of my life.

Before it was shrunk down, I experienced 3 grand mal seizures while on vacation. The seizure was in my left temporal lobe and the area right behind it,speech, was damanged.

The ability to look at picture type instructions/perform with hand direction is also damaged.

During the first year of the diagnoses, I experienced blinding migraines and was ultra sensitive to light and movement.

I required a surgery immediately after the diagnoses to remove a grapefruit dermatoid cyst from my right ovary. It was peeled off as I refused to allow the remove of my ovary.

I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia that year. I take 10 medications a day to help my brain along.

Most people have no idea anything is "wrong" with me. That's a blessing and curse depending upon the situation.

I've had about 20 surgeries. I guess the bottom line is the little tumor leaves me with a compromised immune system, weak muscles, light memory loss, asthma, sensitivity to cold and light, light impared speech that worsens with fatigue, and nasty insomnia.

Geesuz, I just accidently turned on my web cam while writing this. That was scary. My new laptop freaks me out sometimes.

But I digress. If anyone has any questions about pit tumors, I'd be happy to try to answer them. Ditto with any of the other diagnoses.
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Butterbean For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #182
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
A cooling unit - that is it perfectly. I just cannot stop it. What do you do? I have tried my migrain meds...nothing. I used my reading glasses...nope. I just have no clue. I tried to watch TV...it made it worse.
I have no idea how to make it go away. Deep breathing and getting away from people seems to help.

I was wearing my MP3 player in public places that freak me out...like the grocery store and crowded airports...but my G/F says that is dangerous. So I don't know.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #183
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

So, does anyone have numbness in parts of their body other than hands?

There is a place on one of my thighs which goes numb or gets tingly sometimes and parts of my back. Sould I be concerned?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #184
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default on NT and AT people who are in relationships -

sent from a friend:

".. There are just relationships between two people -- two complex people -- and in some cases, some of these people have Asperger's. If a relationship fails between an AT and a NT, there are too many factors to say for sure that the cause was Aspergers. Of course, if Aspergers (or ADD or whatever is present), it's easy to point to that and claim (and really feel like) that's the cause. But you can't know that.

In any relationship, both people have their problems. I'm sure that, even as an NT, you're not 100% easy to live with. Relationships work because both people are willing to work on, work through, solve, live with or overlook problems. An Aspie is no different. Aspies may have to work harder at certain things, but they can do the work if they choose to. So once again, it's not about Aspergers, it's about the individual.

So the real question is, can you and your boyfriend/girlfriend -- two PEOPLE -- make it work? No one here can answer that for you. But even if you can't work it out, that says nothing about whether you could have a happy relationship with some other Aspie. It just says you can't have a happy relationship with your boyfriend/girlfriend..."

-
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #185
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
sent from a friend:

".. There are just relationships between two people -- two complex people -- and in some cases, some of these people have Asperger's. If a relationship fails between an AT and a NT, there are too many factors to say for sure that the cause was Aspergers. Of course, if Aspergers (or ADD or whatever is present), it's easy to point to that and claim (and really feel like) that's the cause. But you can't know that.

In any relationship, both people have their problems. I'm sure that, even as an NT, you're not 100% easy to live with. Relationships work because both people are willing to work on, work through, solve, live with or overlook problems. An Aspie is no different. Aspies may have to work harder at certain things, but they can do the work if they choose to. So once again, it's not about Aspergers, it's about the individual.

So the real question is, can you and your boyfriend/girlfriend -- two PEOPLE -- make it work? No one here can answer that for you. But even if you can't work it out, that says nothing about whether you could have a happy relationship with some other Aspie. It just says you can't have a happy relationship with your boyfriend/girlfriend..."

-
I think about this often. I've worked very hard on my communication skills, and I have done a great deal of personal work, yet the happy/healthy partnership eludes me. My close aspie friends bring much joy into my life, and I appreciate them ever so much. There are times when I think that is the group women that I need to be looking at for a partner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #186
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default acceptance-

liam,

yes. dating someone else who is on the spectrum/AT does seem [at first glance] to present fewer complications communication-wise. a lot of the time, i really believe that i can only make sense to the other person when we are no longer involved. here is something i've been considering of late, please-

we are taught that honesty is the best policy ; psychology books, therapists, parents, friends, partners, siblings, et c- sugget that we 'say what's on our mind' and 'don't hold feelings/thoughts in for it's unhealthy to do so' .

ohk.

outside of times being 'light/happy' i've certainly known conflicts to arise whenever i do speak my truth, and am able to freely admit how i feel [all across the board], answer questions honestly, and communicate 'matter-of-fact' without a hidden agenda, why does it more often than not backfire ? ?

several NT's have told me that AT's [by wiring] do try the right communicative efforts- [ironically, this comes from phrases and books mostly coined / written by NT's!]- yet, NT's are not 'used to it being so easy/uncomplicated/natural/open" and are expecting a host of unsavoury layers- because a lot of insecurities/triggers - already in place from ... ?

much too much to wrap my head round. seems to make relationships set up for failure at the onset then.

i would like to think that there are NT's out there who can have The More Serious-type of conversation [serious does not = Negative!!]. are there NT's who do not personalise to a huge extent ; are not defensive as hell ; and when things turn difficult, matters do not get made worse by adding stuff unrelated to 'issues', and honesty/vulnerability/trust/the relationship/people = can remain intact.

is that asking for the moon?

Last edited by violaine; 03-19-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: i must edit 10x before sending! :(
Old 03-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #187
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Cynthia and I are both on the Spectrum, but still we have huge differences in communication.

We both have to work hard to communicate and have to ask a lot of questions and be patient with each other.

In a way I think AS helps, in that we are both so self absorbed we know more about ourselves than most people do? and can explain ourselves to each other.

Great post Belle!

Best of luck to you Liam, she is out there somewhere
Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #188
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
liam,

yes. dating someone else who is on the spectrum/AT does seem [at first glance] to present fewer complications communication-wise. a lot of the time, i really believe that i can only make sense to the other person when we are no longer involved. here is something i've been considering of late, please-

we are taught that honesty is the best policy ; psychology books, therapists, parents, friends, partners, siblings, et c- sugget that we 'say what's on our mind' and 'don't hold feelings/thoughts in for it's unhealthy to do so' .

ohk.

outside of times being 'light/happy' i've certainly known conflicts to arise whenever i do speak my truth, and am able to freely admit how i feel [all across the board], answer questions honestly, and communicate 'matter-of-fact' without a hidden agenda, why does it more often than not backfire ? ?

several NT's have told me that AT's [by wiring] do try the right communicative efforts- [ironically, this comes from phrases and books mostly coined / written by NT's!]- yet, NT's are not 'used to it being so easy/uncomplicated/natural/open" and are expecting a host of unsavoury layers- because a lot of insecurities/triggers - already in place from ... ?

much too much to wrap my head round. seems to make relationships set up for failure at the onset then.

i would like to think that there are NT's out there who can have The More Serious-type of conversation [serious does not = Negative!!]. are there NT's who do not personalise to a huge extent ; are not defensive as hell ; and when things turn difficult, matters do not get made worse by adding stuff unrelated to 'issues', and honesty/vulnerability/trust/the relationship/people = can remain intact.

is that asking for the moon?
No, it is not.

I agree that I often get along better with my exes once we break up, beacsue then they can see that there is no hidden agenda.

So,

Cynthia and I, after a 5 year break up where we learned more about ourselves, decided to give it another shot becasue other than the attraction we share many interests, goals, morals, etc. I has been way hard work, but after 5 years back together this June I can say that we are happy and well suited.

It's not perfect and we do have to work at communicating a lot, but we are closer than we have ever been. Every day is a learning experience.

It was not like that from day one. We have had really rough patches, but we both are committed to do everything we can to make this work.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #189
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Default noteworthy-

my aspie friends do not get so angry [with me or in general] . forgive quickly and have great bounce-back . see a glass half-full . appreciate the little things . acceptance is in abundance with aspies i've known .

it doesn't matter about looks, $, words tumbling out all wrong, being locked inside for a few moments, space-missions, holding someone's space in sitting with difficult emotions/thoughts is possible any hour!, and the kid at heart is ever-present <3
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #190
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
my aspie friends do not get so angry [with me or in general] . forgive quickly and have great bounce-back . see a glass half-full . appreciate the little things . acceptance is in abundance with aspies i've known .

it doesn't matter about looks, $, words tumbling out all wrong, being locked inside for a few moments, space-missions, holding someone's space in sitting with difficult emotions/thoughts is possible any hour!, and the kid at heart is ever-present <3
Very true!

I pretty much have eliminated anyone who does get angry with me a lot from my life. I have been way happier since.

To forgive quickly is a virtue as is acceptance!

and

The ability to not take things personally when I am in meltdown. For me to be able to say I am freaked out and just leave or take some time to myself.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #191
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I hope I'm not intruding, but I read over this thread regularly. I guess you would call me an NT - although I hate using the term 'normal' for anything. The reason for my post is that I just wanted ya'll to know how brave you are for putting yourselves out here like you do. I have learned a tremendous amount on this thread, and admire each and every one of you.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #192
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicketWWarrick View Post
I hope I'm not intruding, but I read over this thread regularly. I guess you would call me an NT - although I hate using the term 'normal' for anything. The reason for my post is that I just wanted ya'll to know how brave you are for putting yourselves out here like you do. I have learned a tremendous amount on this thread, and admire each and every one of you.
The N in NT stands for neuro, not normal; NT is the acronym for neuro-typical.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #193
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Default talents & interests - what are yours, please?

i love to write [poetry/haiku/iambic pentameter/screenplay] , draw-pencil, ink , charcoal ,& india. photography is a huge passion . while i was in art school [photography], i decided that social commentary was my responsibility. documenting [image+story] chained dogs began years ago, and i use the photos today in order to better serve outside dogs [the ones we all notice who are 24/7 tethered miserably, and basically forgotten souls.] not glamourous work by any means, like portraiture/wedding photography, but connected are two of my main loves: dogs/photography.

i have so many interests from ants to zoological parks [scheduling lecture series!]. ha. i bet many of you are similar?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #194
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I have no idea how to make it go away. Deep breathing and getting away from people seems to help.

I was wearing my MP3 player in public places that freak me out...like the grocery store and crowded airports...but my G/F says that is dangerous. So I don't know.
I'm not sure how C thinks that its dangerous to wear your MP3 in public places. I use mine in stores all the time - I seem to have a "please come talk to me and tell me your life story in 12 minutes" energy I emit, so I find that if I am jamming out with earphones in, people tend to NOT do that.

I've been known to have the earbuds in and the player off - it keeps the Momma in law from being chatty patty

I would be interested in how C perceives this to be a personal safety issue.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #195
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Denkay View Post

Thank you and I love the new screen name!

Quote:
i love to write [poetry/haiku/iambic pentameter/screenplay] , draw-pencil, ink , charcoal ,& india. photography is a huge passion . while i was in art school [photography], i decided that social commentary was my responsibility. documenting [image+story] chained dogs began years ago, and i use the photos today in order to better serve outside dogs [the ones we all notice who are 24/7 tethered miserably, and basically forgotten souls.] not glamourous work by any means, like portraiture/wedding photography, but connected are two of my main loves: dogs/photography.

i have so many interests from ants to zoological parks [scheduling lecture series!]. ha. i bet many of you are similar?

I love animals, my fav part of the zoo is the bats. Bats are so cute. I really want a bathouse . I often think I communicate better with dogs and cats than I do humans...(WAY BETTER, we have talks) One time I sat at the Knoxville zoo and looked at a lady bug while my friends walked around.

I like trains, history, maps, art, music, literature. I do write poetry too, and often rhyme even when I don't mean to. I like geeky stuff like what airlines are from which country, stops on train routes, history of man made lakes...information. What year a song came out, label and other info. Diseases. I drew all the time when I was little, I need to do more of that now. I love color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie0918 View Post
I'm not sure how C thinks that its dangerous to wear your MP3 in public places. I use mine in stores all the time - I seem to have a "please come talk to me and tell me your life story in 12 minutes" energy I emit, so I find that if I am jamming out with earphones in, people tend to NOT do that.

I've been known to have the earbuds in and the player off - it keeps the Momma in law from being chatty patty

I would be interested in how C perceives this to be a personal safety issue.

I am not sure either, maybe that I won't be paying enough attention? or maybe that she herself is nto able to multitask, so she assumes I can't? Must ask.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #196
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thank you for the correction Liam, and my apologies to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
The N in NT stands for neuro, not normal; NT is the acronym for neuro-typical.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #197
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Smile neurologist.turned.hedge.fund.mgr w/asperger syndrome predicted disaster-

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=124698825
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #198
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation
Default Special education Week

http://www.edweek.org/ew/index.html?intc=ml

Full of info regarding education needs and progress for "special needs".
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #199
Butterbean

How Do You Identify?:
----
Preferred Pronoun?:
----

Thanked 2,220 Times in 772 Posts
Butterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

"Every human being is the author of his own health or disease."

-Buddha
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Butterbean For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #200
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
This was very interesting.

There are so amny times that things seem so obvious to us, when other people don't see. TU for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbean View Post
"Every human being is the author of his own health or disease."

-Buddha

I agree to an extent, except it is so simplified as to almost suggest blaming the victim.

Yes, every thought we have influences us and our health and if we give up all expectations and devote ourselves to meditation and prayer and someone else is paying our bills so we can...then Yes, we will have less stress induced illness.