Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Trans Zone

Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Alpha Dog

How Do You Identify?:
XXX

Alpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST Reputation

Dr Brownstein isn't just operating on his "brand" he's the real deal. Just had surgery with him 3 weeks ago. Double incision - nipple grafting; tubes removed 5 days after surgery, 2 days later sutures removed, had to wear surgical binder for an additional 7 days after that. I started back to work 11 days after surgery. Couldn't be happier!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Dog View Post
Dr Brownstein isn't just operating on his "brand" he's the real deal. Just had surgery with him 3 weeks ago. Double incision - nipple grafting; tubes removed 5 days after surgery, 2 days later sutures removed, had to wear surgical binder for an additional 7 days after that. I started back to work 11 days after surgery. Couldn't be happier!
I don't mean he's not the real deal just that I don't believe he's the only option. I believe there are other real deals in california also.
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #23
Alpha Dog

How Do You Identify?:
XXX

Alpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oopster View Post
I don't mean he's not the real deal just that I don't believe he's the only option. I believe there are other real deals in california also.
My comment was based on what you wrote below;

He tends to be expenseive and although I do believe you get what you pay for I also believe that sometimes you pay for a "brand" name, and that there are just as qualified surgeons with less expense.

And I was just making a statement that he isn't just operating on his "brand" name.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
My comment was based on what you wrote below;

He tends to be expenseive and although I do believe you get what you pay for I also believe that sometimes you pay for a "brand" name, and that there are just as qualified surgeons with less expense.

And I was just making a statement that he isn't just operating on his "brand" name.
and I was trying to say i didn't mean it the way it sounded.

I do agree he is an excellent surgeon but I don't believe he is the only excellent surgeon out there. My comment was made in response to someone else's comment that it was a no brainer to go to Brownstein. I don't agree with that. A lot of people think he is the only surgeon to go to in california that is good and I don't agree. If I lived in Northern california he would probably be the surgeon i would go to but I don't live in Northern California.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #25
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
7. I did a LOT to prepare for surgery! I did a great deal of stretching, push-ups, and upper body exercises about 3 months out and leading up to the surgery. I also started on Arnica and vitamin C about 10 days out. The Arnica helps minimize bruising and speeds healing; vitamin C was to keep me from getting sick. I drank lots and lots of water......no aspirin, ibuprofen, alcohol, etc... about one week out.
Did you take just arnica or was it mixed with anything? I have traumeel which has arnica in it but am wondering if it would be better to get just arnica.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #26
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Did you take just arnica or was it mixed with anything? I have traumeel which has arnica in it but am wondering if it would be better to get just arnica.
Just Arnica...

I think I started about two weeks out if I remember correctly.

I'm thrilled for you!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #27
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hey there... Big congrats on your surgery!!!

I understood Oopster to mean that while Brownstein is undeniably good, he tends to charge a bit more because he has such a solid and long-standing reputation in the trans community for top surgeries.

I agree that there are now MANY excellent surgeons out there who perform top surgeries and get the same outstanding results as Dr. Brownstein but keep their rates and fees lower. Some of it is because of geographical location, and some is.....I agree.....because of the name. No denying he has earned it...
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #28
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
and I was trying to say i didn't mean it the way it sounded.

I do agree he is an excellent surgeon but I don't believe he is the only excellent surgeon out there. My comment was made in response to someone else's comment that it was a no brainer to go to Brownstein. I don't agree with that. A lot of people think he is the only surgeon to go to in california that is good and I don't agree. If I lived in Northern california he would probably be the surgeon i would go to but I don't live in Northern California.
Would you mind naming some of these other excellent surgeons? Brownstein IS expensive, but everyone I know who's used him has been very happy with their results. Other options would be nice though.

Thanks
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D View Post
Would you mind naming some of these other excellent surgeons? Brownstein IS expensive, but everyone I know who's used him has been very happy with their results. Other options would be nice though.

Thanks

http://my.execpc.com/~dmmunson/surgeons_list.htm
http://www.tglynnsplace.com/surgeons.htm
http://www.lauras-playground.com/FTM_surgeons.htm
http://trans411.org/browse/ftm-surgery
http://www.thetransitionalmale.com/Surgeons

are just a few sites that I found that list surgeons. Transbucket is good at getting some background on some of them. However it seems like it's fairly new so there and needs to be built up a bit. However besides looking at picks I found out the comments next to the people helped a lot. First for questions and second for a feel on the dr. There are some to definitely avoid on there. However I did find that most people that post are very happy with their results.

I believe there are other surgeons out there and it's just a matter of doing one's homework to find the best fit for them.

If I was younger and more spry I probably would have looked into more local drs. I'm open to giving someone new a chance. I would just make sure it was a decent deal and that they really wanted to be good at this and were willing to do whatever it takes to make you happy, like free revisions and such. However I don't have the energy for that.

I know Garrome's prices seem lower, but he is in florida. Mine is a little higher because he is going to do some lyposuction also. Since he's experienced and I would rather do it well the first time I'm going to go ahead and pay for that. It is my understanding that it will help minimize the chance of dog ears. Everything I've read about Garrome is like reading about Bernstein.

there is also info on livejournal

http://community.livejournal.com/ftm...ble%20incision

Surgeons include Bowers, Monstrey, Meltzer, Laub, Reardon***, Ching, Fischer, Daverio, Liedl, Stephanides, Foerster, Yonsei, Johnson, Steuber, Brassard, Menard, Bubak, Cordier, Clugston***, Strathy, Peters, Davies, Morris, Raphael, Davis, Brownstein, McLean, Futrell, Alter, Reed, Mueller, Wilson, Ralph, Perovic, Sukrit, and others are some of the surgeons listed on yahoo...unfortunately i haven't been approved yet so can't tell ya much more about what is there
The Following User Says Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

Yeah, Brownstein's pics are good. And yeah, everyone who's used him is happy with the results...

But then, I've only ever met one person who wasn't happy with their results, and it wasn't due to the surgeon's mess-up.

Soooooooooo,
Dylan

Brownstein also has to pay for all his travel and hotel rooms for every trans convention he speaks at

And I think he's also still following Harry Benjamin standards and expecting letters from anyone you've ever been in contact with (dramatic sarcasm)
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #31
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,856 Times in 2,470 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Just Arnica...

I'm thrilled for you!!

A little comment here on (anti) scar creams.

My doctor advised me to use Nivea cream, which I did. He said that so many of those other creams are just nothing but added expense and certainly no better or less than Nivea, which is really good. My scars are just about faded out, btw, and it's only been a year later, almost to the date.

Just my .02 and advice to ME from MY doctor.

~Theo~
Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #32
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post

A little comment here on (anti) scar creams.

My doctor advised me to use Nivea cream, which I did. He said that so many of those other creams are just nothing but added expense and certainly no better or less than Nivea, which is really good. My scars are just about faded out, btw, and it's only been a year later, almost to the date.

Just my .02 and advice to ME from MY doctor.

~Theo~
I agree with that for sure.

Just a note, though... The Arnica I took was in a pellet form and prior to surgery. Its intended purpose was to minimize bruising and bleeding.

I've seen some post-op pictures that made me kinda queasy because of the severe bruising. Mine was very minimal.....almost nil, honestly. And I didn't have the excessive drainage issues either.

Not saying all who use Arnica as a pre-surgical supplement will get the same results, but I don't think it'll hurt to try.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #33
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Dr. Garramone (Ft. Lauderdale)

http://www.transgenderflorida.com/

great surgeon/great results
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #34
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:

Thanks
While I have *heard* of at least a dozen who do GREAT work, the ones I know of by direct experience (seen their work first-hand) are Fischer in Maryland, Garramone in Florida, Rafael in Texas, DuPere in Toronto, Stephanides in Tennessee (don't think he is taking new patients), and Reardon in NY (retired).
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #35
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Since I'm in CA I'll probably use Brownstein. I've lost nearly 90lbs now with hopes that this will keep the dog ears to a minimum. It seems that every little step takes time.

Does anyone have any experience with taking T before top surgery verses doing the reverse. It seems that builing up some mass would also help with definition before surgery. Or am I just making this up in my head (which is certainly possible).

Thanks again.
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #36
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Since I'm in CA I'll probably use Brownstein. I've lost nearly 90lbs now with hopes that this will keep the dog ears to a minimum. It seems that every little step takes time.

Does anyone have any experience with taking T before top surgery verses doing the reverse. It seems that builing up some mass would also help with definition before surgery. Or am I just making this up in my head (which is certainly possible).

Thanks again.
Congrats on the weight loss.

I am certain that I have read that it does not matter, but I am just as certain that I have read that the quality of conturing is improved if the person is already on T.

Unfortunately, I do not recall where I have read either of these things. Sorry.

Hopefully, others can refer you to some information on it. A good question, I think.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #37
Alpha Dog

How Do You Identify?:
XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Yeah, Brownstein's pics are good. And yeah, everyone who's used him is happy with the results...

But then, I've only ever met one person who wasn't happy with their results, and it wasn't due to the surgeon's mess-up.

Soooooooooo,
Dylan

Brownstein also has to pay for all his travel and hotel rooms for every trans convention he speaks at

And I think he's also still following Harry Benjamin standards and expecting letters from anyone you've ever been in contact with (dramatic sarcasm)

Dylan,

He didn't require a letter from me - he asked if I had one he'd like a copy but it wasn't required. His fee ISN'T that much more then others - if you look at the surgical fee alone - there's the facility fee (2600) and the anesthesia fee was 850 but these are two seperate entities from Dr Brownstein's fee.\\
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #38
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:

Thanks again.
I had my surgery about 16 months *before* starting T.

I was at an ideal weight and had done a lot of upper body and chest work going into surgery and got the *exact* results I was hoping for.

Obviously, I can't begin to know how it might have been different if I had been on T prior to surgery. What I do know is that I don't regret my decision to go with the surgery first.

Congratulations on all of your hard work for the weight loss! That's so awesome!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #39
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Quote:
Just Arnica...

I'm thrilled for you!!
i just got some pellets tonight. How much did you take? I won't be able to take it as long as you did but can still take it for a week. Did you take any after surgery?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #40
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
i just got some pellets tonight. How much did you take? I won't be able to take it as long as you did but can still take it for a week. Did you take any after surgery?
Oh gosh, dude... I couldn't possibly remember. Does it have a recommendation on the bottle?

And I remember something about not touching the pellet.....like you drop one out on something and pop it in your mouth. Is that right?

And I'm pretty sure I took it for another 3 or 4 days after surgery.