Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Poly Relationships

Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #41
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I know poly can work. I've seen it work. People in this thread and site show that it can work.

I was in a poly relationship that went wrong and I was hurt beyond any pain I could imagine possible. But, I do realize that there were so many things that were done wrong by my partner and by myself and by the other girl that it is no wonder it ended in disaster. It has taken a long time to heal, and parts of me are still in mourning, however getting better all the time.

So, even though I have been there done that and suffered through what I thought had destroyed my life, I have evolved from the pain to a stronger and more self nurturing person. I am open minded enough to realize that poly can be a very healthy, fullfilling, loving and a wonderful life for the right people.

Would I ever do it again? Doubtful, however never say never.

signed....

one who keeps all possibilities open when it comes to happiness....
Maya Angelou

Last edited by princessbelle; 08-31-2010 at 02:13 PM.
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #42
Isadora

How Do You Identify?:
Momma, Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
I am in love. Truly Madly Deeply

Thanked 2,128 Times in 560 Posts
Isadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST Reputation

I have been polyandrous for 10 years. Hawk and I had been together 12 years when we began discussion on a polyandrous relationship. It was not an easy thing to sit down and discuss. We read The Ethical Slut by Dossie Easton and took a almost a year to talk about how it would work for us.

I live, mostly, poly fidelity relationships. This means I have two primary partners and am faithful to them. I, however, have been open to others in my life at different times and at one time had five lovers. Yes, it almost killed me. LOL

A lot of people claim to be poly but are really non-monogamist or actually serial monogamists. It is not easy. I have absolutely had my jealous moments and have experienced absolute anger over having sex/play with other people. Jealousy is a part of ALL of our experiences and working through it is hard. Hard. It is easy to talk about it is not so easy to have your partner walk out the door knowing they are going to meet someone else. When you come home with marks people may freak. I had one lover who when saw me marked from agreed upon poly boundaries, had such a look of anger and fear that it basically ended the relationship.

Also, I have very real boundaries around friendship and poly. For example, I do not wish to know or socialize with most (not all) of my lovers partners or other lovers. So, I make it very clear that if you choose to be involved with a friend of mine or someone else, I will not invite them into my house. I will not hang in the room with them, I will not be part of their lives.

It is my responsibility to make that very clear to potential partners as it is for hym to make sure hys chosen lovers know the rules I share with hym. It has caused many misunderstandings when all the boundaries are not clear. That said, I have also had amazing wonderful relationships with partner's loves and wives. It is all about the people involved on an individual basis. My point being remember to take care of yourself by being as clear as possible.

Sometimes breaking up a poly relationship has nothing to do with it being poly and everything to do with lack of trust, breaking of boundaries, contracts, lies and deception. None of these is unique to a poly relationships any relationship can have these issues.

Sometimes I choose non monogamy. The difference is the relationship. To me non monogamy is mostly about sex not building a love relationship. Polyandrous is about falling in love...at least it is to me.

Read me! www.leatherati.com
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Isadora For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #43
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Lots of wisdom in this thread.. Thanks for sharing.. I am subscribing!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #44
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

anyone watch the series Sister Wives?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #45
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I've seen it a few times, also watched the special the other night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
Lots of wisdom in this thread.. Thanks for sharing.. I am subscribing!
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #46
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzman View Post
I've seen it a few times, also watched the special the other night.
what did ya think of it..? I hear the first wife has been fired from her job because of the show...
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #47
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I think it's difficult to really show many of the positives of the poly lifestyle on a televised show. Sometimes they seem to angle it in such a way that it looks ugly...possibly they are more interested in the drama than in the reality of the 24/7 lifestyle. <shrug>

Not sure if she lost it or not but I do know there is talk of it, also they were drug into court due to the publicity from the 4th marriage.

Quote:
what did ya think of it..? I hear the first wife has been fired from her job because of the show...
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #48
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
I think it's difficult to really show many of the positives of the poly lifestyle on a televised show. Sometimes they seem to angle it in such a way that it looks ugly...possibly they are more interested in the drama than in the reality of the 24/7 lifestyle. <shrug>

Not sure if she lost it or not but I do know there is talk of it, also they were drug into court due to the publicity from the 4th marriage.

no kidding, all thats normally ever shown are the pedophile communes...

I am glad the show is being aired.. its showing the functionality and how much power the wives have, and their wonderful bond.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #49
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Lol! Last night I watched the special. They were being interviewed, and he flat out told the interviewer that he is not the boss, except for when it comes to getting the kids to do their homework or something.

I find it interesting, but wonder if others who are in poly relationship see it as a mockery or as not a true representation.

Quote:

no kidding, all thats normally ever shown are the pedophile communes...

I am glad the show is being aired.. its showing the functionality and how much power the wives have, and their wonderful bond.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #50
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Lol! Last night I watched the special. They were being interviewed, and he flat out told the interviewer that he is not the boss, except for when it comes to getting the kids to do their homework or something.

I find it interesting, but wonder if others who are in poly relationship see it as a mockery or as not a true representation.

lol i think he is right.. the sisterhood of the wives is so very real. They each get each other and each have a job to do. They function independently and as a collective unit.. I think its wonderful..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #51
La Perla

How Do You Identify?:
femme sensuelle
Relationship Status:
dating and enjoying life

La Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST Reputation

I too, have seen PR work remarkably well. Those of you that have the emotional maturity, and communication skills needed to create this type of relationship, have my respect. I personally am curious about Poly relationships, I am guessing freedom and responsibility can craft some remarkable, exciting situations.
La Perla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #52
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Perla View Post
I too, have seen PR work remarkably well. Those of you that have the emotional maturity, and communication skills needed to create this type of relationship, have my respect. I personally am curious about Poly relationships, I am guessing freedom and responsibility can craft some remarkable, exciting situations.
I personally think one has to be *wired* for poly. Not everyone is and that is ok.. It also takes one heck of a Head of Household to maintain the balance. I am glad I am not on that end of it.

Not sure what you mean by *freedom and responsibility* but exciting situations are what happens when you fall into the right PR.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #53
La Perla

How Do You Identify?:
femme sensuelle
Relationship Status:
dating and enjoying life

La Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST ReputationLa Perla Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I personally think one has to be *wired* for poly. Not everyone is and that is ok.. It also takes one heck of a Head of Household to maintain the balance. I am glad I am not on that end of it.

Not sure what you mean by *freedom and responsibility* but exciting situations are what happens when you fall into the right PR.
I can imagine it would take a great deal of emotional maturity. I am happy that you found a wonderful family, and such a positive dynamic. What was going through my mind with freedom and responsibility? I was imagining that having a poly relationship would be a sort of freedom, at least from the cookie cutter "norm", and that feels inspiring to me. But I imagine that freedom comes with a need to be very responsible in dealing with your emotions and feelings in a way that keeps peace and harmony. Imagining being key here.
La Perla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to La Perla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #54
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Perla View Post
I can imagine it would take a great deal of emotional maturity. I am happy that you found a wonderful family, and such a positive dynamic. What was going through my mind with freedom and responsibility? I was imagining that having a poly relationship would be a sort of freedom, at least from the cookie cutter "norm", and that feels inspiring to me. But I imagine that freedom comes with a need to be very responsible in dealing with your emotions and feelings in a way that keeps peace and harmony. Imagining being key here.
Ahhh I see... You are dead right about being responsible with emotions.. and acting on them.. It's quite a learning experience, learning to deal with lots of emotions and ascertaining whether they are old stuff or new stuff. Sometimes an emotion can catch us off guard and we don't know what to do with it.. The responsible thing to do is not react to it, think about it and not act emotionally. Easier said than done but it is something I strive for.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #55
aurora

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Married

aurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputation

Like my Spirit sister Sassy, I have always considered myself to be wired poly. Our lovely family has come together after a few years of Syr getting to know Sassy fairly well. I have just had a few months of loving and learning to work with my dear sister. It is definitely a journey and a work in progress.

For me, one of the most important factors for the potential long-term success of this triangle of love and marriage is the fact that I was the one to ask for the permanent addition of Sassy to our home. That is the key for me in managing the insecurities and occasional PMS spin-outs. My deep 15 year love for Syr, and my love and dedication of my spirit sister, are kept clear in my mind at times of self-doubt by that knowledge.
I have heard from others that have had a new partner imposed upon them, and heard the pain and suffering that followed the shift in the relationship. I am glad that in this thread, there is a strong opinion that good clear communication, and full agreement within the family on such a change, is extremely important.

As mentioned before work and clear communication is soooo important. Compassion and forgiveness and a desire to admit being wrong is also very important. One of the greatest benefits for me is suddenly having a friend to talk with who thinks the way I think about many things. In D/s relationships our partner is often our polar opposite in many ways, so having someone to just do girl-talk with about things one would not want to bother Syr. Sassy and I are learning a lot from each other, we are similar in some ways but very different in other ways. We are using that as a strength to grow in the relationship with each other and with Syr. Between job sharing and friendship and love, the extra work that is required is small compared to the benefits we are finding in our every day life now.

Well...OK...maybe to have people check out my book Jasmine's Choice by Aurora Dominiqua in the site bookstore.
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aurora For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #56
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

great points Sister aurora.

It is true, most poly relationships consist of one Dominant who will choose to bring a new partner in, pretty much whenever they want to. I am glad this is not our case ( I would have never ventured into that). The marriage that I entered into was solid, I am an addition to that. No one was looking for another partner. It just happened. It all made sense at that point.

Not being *brought* in to fill a void, or fix anything has made me very willing to venture into this. It works. We are not perfect but a life without even the smallest challenges would not be growing.

Having the Sisterly bond with aurora is also incredible. We've always connected somewhat and this is the greatest level of that. Talking things out and connecting is a wonderful gift.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #57
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It is true, most poly relationships consist of one Dominant who will choose to bring a new partner in, pretty much whenever they want to.
i really don't see this. i am not sure i have ever seen someone bring in a new person to a family without any preparation or negotiation, whether they "can" or not. i imagine it happens, but . . .

And most poly isn't D/s either.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #58
aurora

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Married

aurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputationaurora Has the BEST Reputation

Yes, indeed the Ds poly is a fairly small population in the community as a whole. And a successful poly dynamic is always based upon the feelings and needs of everyone involved. But within the BDSM community, where there are situations where the power exchange allows (with previous agreement) one member of the family to make choices for the others that would normally have to be negotiated continuously, there is the room for imposed additions. And, from what I have seen, even though the submissive members have given consent to whatever is to happen, it does not work out well if the new person is brought in without full, whole-hearted agreement from the more senior members.
Also, some of the Ds poly situations are more loosely-knit leather families where most live in other cities and are not in the same house...in this case the poly family members might feel a loss of extra communication with the Dom(me) when a new member is added, but are not in the day-to-day sharing the bathroom type communication with the other family members.

Well...OK...maybe to have people check out my book Jasmine's Choice by Aurora Dominiqua in the site bookstore.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #59
aurora

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Married

It also might be useful to chat about the different challenges and rewards that are found in online poly vs. in house poly. Many of the modern poly families I have met include a certain amount of online relationships, and this is a very interesting element to consider.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aurora For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #60
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
I have been polyandrous for 10 years. Hawk and I had been together 12 years when we began discussion on a polyandrous relationship. It was not an easy thing to sit down and discuss. We read The Ethical Slut by Dossie Easton and took a almost a year to talk about how it would work for us.

I live, mostly, poly fidelity relationships. This means I have two primary partners and am faithful to them. I, however, have been open to others in my life at different times and at one time had five lovers. Yes, it almost killed me. LOL

A lot of people claim to be poly but are really non-monogamist or actually serial monogamists. It is not easy. I have absolutely had my jealous moments and have experienced absolute anger over having sex/play with other people. Jealousy is a part of ALL of our experiences and working through it is hard. Hard. It is easy to talk about it is not so easy to have your partner walk out the door knowing they are going to meet someone else. When you come home with marks people may freak. I had one lover who when saw me marked from agreed upon poly boundaries, had such a look of anger and fear that it basically ended the relationship.

Also, I have very real boundaries around friendship and poly. For example, I do not wish to know or socialize with most (not all) of my lovers partners or other lovers. So, I make it very clear that if you choose to be involved with a friend of mine or someone else, I will not invite them into my house. I will not hang in the room with them, I will not be part of their lives.

It is my responsibility to make that very clear to potential partners as it is for hym to make sure hys chosen lovers know the rules I share with hym. It has caused many misunderstandings when all the boundaries are not clear. That said, I have also had amazing wonderful relationships with partner's loves and wives. It is all about the people involved on an individual basis. My point being remember to take care of yourself by being as clear as possible.

Sometimes breaking up a poly relationship has nothing to do with it being poly and everything to do with lack of trust, breaking of boundaries, contracts, lies and deception. None of these is unique to a poly relationships any relationship can have these issues.

Sometimes I choose non monogamy. The difference is the relationship. To me non monogamy is mostly about sex not building a love relationship. Polyandrous is about falling in love...at least it is to me.

Refreshing the page and the thread

"""Sometimes I choose non monogamy. The difference is the relationship. To me non monogamy is mostly about sex not building a love relationship. Polyandrous is about falling in love...at least it is to me."""

Thank you Isadora. . I enjoy reading and re-reading your posts and the link above[/B]
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote