Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #41
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post

Hello, everyone. I've come to ask for energy and/or prayers for friends... the two-legged (I'll call her Raven) is in deep grief; her familiar, a 14 year-old tuxedo cat named Megosh, is in renal failure. Megosh is in immense pain and is close to death; her kidneys have shut down now. She's ready to go and just wants this one last weekend with Raven. Then she'll be ready to let go and see her beloved brothers and sisters on the Other Side.

If you have anything to send for pain relief, it would be such a blessing. We're trying to keep it down below a dull roar, but it's intractable and you know how it is for cats, there just aren't any pain meds, especially as the body shuts down.

Thank you so very much.
On its way, may a life well spent be remembered well.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #42
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

I am sorry for Raven's breaking heart and for Megosh's failed body. I certainly will say a prayer and send some love to them.
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #43
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

{{{{{{{{{{{{Jenn, Foxy}}}}}}}}}}}}} Thank you both so very much!!
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #44
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

Bit, I feel for your friend and know just how hard it is to bear what she is going through. I will send light and thoughts to Megosh in the hopes that shes gets some relief from her pain. Also i dont know if anyone has any animals that could use the rest of my beloved Diego's medicine--it is called Vetmedin. It is the animal equivalent of cumadin--a blood thinner for the heart but i have like 40 1.25mg pills left that should go to someone that needs them. If anyone knows someone whos kitty or doggy could use them please let me know ill gladly send them to that person. They are expensive and id love to help out anyone that needs them since my lovely boy doesnt anymore.

love to Megosh, and everyone else, and all the beautiful creatures in the world
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #45
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Mitmo}}}}}}}}}}}}}} You are a kind and generous soul! If no one here needs the medicine, maybe your local humane society will know of someone who can't afford it?

Update on Megosh: although she's still in great pain, she has started eating again, and her litterbox abilities have also resumed some. I don't know if this means she won't die or if this is like a cancer patient rallying right before the end, but I am so glad she's doing a little better! Thank you all for your help!
Old 11-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #46
Pennysparkles

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Pennysparkles is on a distinguished road
Default Another on the light path

"pops in and waves"

Hi - I'm really glad to see this forum. I teach and practise Reiki, meditation and as an empath I strive to help wherever I can without forcing my views on anyone.

I look forward to interesting posts and healthy debates on here!

Blessings, Penny
Old 11-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #47
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Hey everyone. I hope it's ok to ask this question but I was curious, for those who have kids, what did you do for winter celebration and how did you address the Santa for younger kids? K and I were discussing this and how we would address winter holidays, particularly with younger kids. (Although K is Atheist and I'm buddhist we both agreed that it would be fun and an important family time with the kids).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #48
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Hi Penny, welcome! It's nice to meet you! Please feel free to comment or ask questions anytime!

Linus, that's a great question! I don't have kids--maybe a couple others will talk about that--but I can tell you that Santa is the strongest memory we have of an indigenous Northern Shaman. Red, black, and white are the colors of the Goddess in all the most ancient cultures, because they are the colors of Life itself. In those far northern cultures, reindeer (caribou, on this side of the pond)were sacred, the givers of life.

These days Shamans talk about the drumbeat being the "horse" they ride to do their work, but back in the mists of time, horses were unknown to the Northern peoples; their Shamans rode the flying reindeer in the drumbeat.

Evidently there was a strong tradition of the Shaman visiting villages at Midwinter, telling stories, singing songs, wrapped in his sacred furs and bringing his sacred reindeer with him. I don't know if gifts were part of the celebrations, but certainly they have been part of many other cultures' Midwinter feasts, so they might have been---and the tie between Santa and gifts DOES go back several hundred years if not a thousand, so who knows? Maybe that was an integral part of "Scandiwhovian" Midwinters also. It might also very well be that the Shamans were also traders, bringing trade goods to the villages at Midwinter, and that the "gift" tradition is a dim memory of that.

Hope this gives you a starting place!
Old 11-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #49
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Hey everyone. I hope it's ok to ask this question but I was curious, for those who have kids, what did you do for winter celebration and how did you address the Santa for younger kids? K and I were discussing this and how we would address winter holidays, particularly with younger kids. (Although K is Atheist and I'm buddhist we both agreed that it would be fun and an important family time with the kids).
My family situation is so interesting for religious holidays. We live with my parents (who are Mormon) and my beliefs are not really... tolerated in the home. The compromise I have made is one of "don't ask, don't tell". I have an alter set up in my space but my mother just lets herself assume its an end table of knickknacks. I celebrate some of my traditions for holidays mixed in with theirs, and my children are taught that Christmas (or Yule, or Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or whatever someone calls the holiday) is about giving, and appreciating those around us and all they do for us. That it (and Santa) are more of a feeling. Santa is most assuredly real, and as long as long as there are people in the world who give of themselves with complete selflessness, he will never die. I also tell them that each of them can be a Santa to someone else. That Santa can't survive unless we all do a little bit of the work... Its part of Santa's Magic. Santa exists because of people who give like Santa would give.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #50
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLovelyJenn View Post
That Santa can't survive unless we all do a little bit of the work... Its part of Santa's Magic. Santa exists because of people who give like Santa would give.
I like that very much! Thank you for sharing it, Jenn!

My sympathies on having to live stealth. I had to do so for five years and oh my, what a strain that was... more of a strain than I realized. I have a letter I wrote about Stealth Paganism around here somewhere; after I finish I'll find it and post it.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #51
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Well, lol, no laundry--friends showed up. It was a happiness, since my freezer and fridge were overstuffed. I always feel like I have to share at Thanksgiving, yanno? It makes me feel "right" inside.

Oh hey--twas Raven and I have a report on Megosh! We still can't tell if this is a true recovery or if it's the equivalent of a cancer patient's last rally before they die, BUT Megosh is more alert, willing to move around the apartment, and she's eating and drinking more and more... plus peeing more and more, but hey... Raven will deal with it if it means she has time with Megosh!

Anyhow, I came back online to post that letter about Stealth Paganism, so that'll be next. I'm hoping it doesn't break the character limit! I'm known for that...
Old 11-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #52
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Default Building a Vibrant Broom Closet: Stealth Paganism

We all find situations where we are just not able to be out as Pagans or Witches. Sometimes it's uncomfortable. Sometimes it would affect our children's school situation. Sometimes it could cost us a job. Sometimes we live with people of other faiths, or of no faith, and they're threatened.

Does this mean we have to deny ourselves and our spirituality, allow the situation to stifle our growth? No, not at all. It means we have the opportunity to truly examine what it is that makes us Pagan, what it is that makes us a Witch. It means we are gifted with a chance to get down to basics and to strengthen some of our abilities that might not otherwise get much attention.

When we're in the broom closet and living stealth, what gets emphasized is our attitude. We have certain choices... for instance, our Yule tree might look just like everyone else's Yule tree, right down to the five-pointed star on top... it can be as Pagan as we wish to make it, full of natural decorations including that classic animal companion of northern Shamans, the reindeer, and no one will know that it is Pagan. It will just fit right in.

Our holiday or Yule cards can talk about "the Season" and never have to say the word "Christmas."

Our Samhain/Halloween decorations can be as kitschy as anything you'd find at a dollar store, or they can be all natural, or they can incorporate the Mexican Day of the Dead decorations; they will all fit right in. Halloween is All Hallow's Eve (hallows means saints), and November 1st is All Saints' Day... in Mexico they call All Saints' Day the Day of the Dead--but it's all the same holiday at the root of it, concerned with ghosts and families. Day of the Dead is not focused on long-gone saints, btw, but on one's family members who have died. Unlike the scare-off-the-spirits approach of modern Halloween, Day of the Dead provides families with a way to honor and welcome their ancestors--but both holidays acknowledge the thinning of the veil between the worlds, that time when spirits are close.

Thanksgiving is traditionally celebrated in September in Europe and they call it Harvest Home, but we're a retail nation now (rather than a farming nation) and the harvest food is on sale in November here... it is still, at the root of it, one of the oldest Pagan impulses we have: to celebrate the harvest and give our thanks.

Easter is what remains of the Germanic Eostara celebrations; she was the Goddess of Spring and her symbols were the pig, the rabbit, and the egg... so yanno, ham for Easter dinner and the Easter Bunny bringing eggs, this is again a very old Pagan celebration. The Eastern European tradition of pysanky, or finely decorated eggs, makes use of very old Pagan symbols... again, a stealth way to incorporate Paganism without notice.

The end of April/first of May--Beltane--is traditionally a time to celebrate the beginning of summer, and although the custom of giving May baskets full of flowers has fallen by the wayside, we can still celebrate with bouquets of flowers for the house or with a good day's work in the garden.

Summer Solstice and Winter Solstice, Spring and Autumn Equinoxes, can all be marked and even celebrated as astronomy. When you think about it, that's pretty much what the early Pagans did anyhow.

Memorial Day is the US's answer to Day of the Dead, and provides us with another time to honor our Ancestors, this time with flowers rather than pumpkins.

The Fourth of July is not Pagan... but yanno, food and firecrackers... it oughta be! lol!

We can participate in these same events everyone else does, and yet make them more meaningful to us by privately acknowledging the ways they fit into our Paganism.

When we live in the Broom Closet, we do have to be cautious; maybe not as careful as our ancestors did in the Burning Times (from the 1400s to the 1800s, generally, especially in Europe), but still, we have a lot at stake and it pays to use discretion. We don't ever need to tell anyone what we are.

There is an old philosophy that says there are four requirements for being a Witch: To Know, To Will, To Dare, and To Keep Silent. This came out of the Burning Times, when speaking about Witchcraft was punished by death, and over the centuries it has built up a strong reservoir of energy. We can keep silent about who we are and what we do, and we will be joining in with our ancestors in doing so. Have you noticed that you can build up lots of energy around something you're keeping secret, but once you talk about it, all the energy fizzles away? We can make this same principle work for us in the Broom Closet. By choosing not to speak about our Paganism, we can keep our everyday energy contained the same way we would in a working Circle, and gradually get used to working with larger and larger amounts of energy as it builds up.

One of the key ways to stay stealth in the Broom Closet is to find the things that carry the same names as they do in the larger culture around us. For instance, many people grow up believing that "prayer" is something specific, that one is only praying if one is reciting specific words that other people wrote, but there is another, broader definition that says prayer is talking to God. And what are we doing when we do a spell, a working, a Circle, or when we send energy, but talking to God/Goddess/All That Is?

There are many Pagan gods. One can fit in nicely by talking about God........ and just not specifying which one.

Here is where it pays to be eclectic, as well... there is a very old saying in Islam, "All Gods are one God, and Allah is His Name." There is a very old tradition in Wicca that calls the Goddess the Lady of Ten Thousand Names. There is the known history of Paganism that equates various gods and goddesses in different cultures--for instance, Diana/Artemis, or Thor/Ares/Mars. If we take what is similar from these ideas and give it a Pagan twist, we have the statement that "all gods are one god--and the name doesn't matter." *cheeky grin*

Practical matters... how can we have a Pagan altar when we are living completely stealth? Nearly everyone has a dressertop or countertop, a windowsill or bookshelf that could use a little... well, you know.... ornamenting. An interesting rock or crystal gives us Earth. A fresh flower in a vase or a seashell gives us Water. A candle gives us Fire. An incense burner or a pretty feather gives us Air. A living
plant combines Earth and Water. A clear piece of glass gives us Fire and Air. A mirror gives us the Goddess or the God. A picture of our Totem animal calls them in.

No one ever has to know this is a Pagan altar. In quiet moments, we can allow its simple peace to seep into our souls, grounding us and giving us an unobtrusive focus for our prayers and energy work.

We can keep our Book of Shadows (if we choose to have one) on a computer--on a CD or a Flash drive. We can call it a journal--for what is more intimate to the workings of our souls than our own personal book of spirituality?

We can develop our talents at writing poetry, singing, making art--these are especially appropriate in Celtic Wicca and Shamanism.

We can become people of Nature, decorate with a natural theme, collect rocks, feathers, sticks, seashells, or other natural objects.

We can watch the weather, keep a cloud journal, notice the temperatures and the path of the jet stream, chart the rain and snow or the varying speeds of the wind.

We can wear jewelry made of stones and crystals, seashells, wood, bone.

There are so many things we can do. What ways have you found to fit in, to pass unnoticed while still honoring your Paganism?

Bright Blessings to us all!
Cath
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #53
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Here's a link to a new children's book.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Up-Pagan-Workbook-Families/dp/0764331434"]Amazon.com: Growing Up Pagan: A Workbook for Wiccan Families (9780764331435): Raine Hill, Gillian M. Pearce: Books[/ame]

There are many children's books linked to that page, btw.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #54
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:

foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Linus,

I did tell my kids that Santa was not real... and then I got a call from the school, cause it made other kids cry... and then I got a call from my ex mother in law... and then I decided to take a fox approach...

Kids... Santa is an amazing magical being. Christmas is about Magic and the celebration of magic. Etc etc...

They accepted that and until they were 10 or 11 (I think) they continued to believe in Santa...

We still celebrate Christmas cause most of the family does, but we also celebrate Solstice which is to me more important.

Bit thanks for the info on shamanism, it may have been new information. I think personally the red and white of santa's uniform in the Saami traditions is in reference to Amanita Muscaria, or Fly Agaric the magic mushroom. Reindeer love it and it is one theory of flying reindeer... but only one mind you!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #55
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

I read a marvelous book on Santa and Shamanism several years ago, Foxy. The author made a cogent case for the sacred colors, and might have mentioned fly agaric--I don't remember--but also tied Santa into the tompte and other northern beings. He also traced Santa's history as he changed, passing through the Germanic and Celtic cultures.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #56
Daryn
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
genderqueer leaning male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/ze
Relationship Status:
open to persuasion.....

Daryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST Reputation

Merry meet, my planet friends. Nice to see this thread here.
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #57
hottprof

How Do You Identify?:
female
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss to you... for hym...
Relationship Status:
Crashes One Femme

hottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputation

okay.. wow... I have literally read every post in this thread thus far and I am amazed and completely intrigued. I hope you do not mind me poping in an reading. I have learned so much and can not wait to learn more. I hope you are open to questions and or even conserns if they would pop up. Thank you.

peace and Smiles
hottprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #58
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottprof View Post
okay.. wow... I have literally read every post in this thread thus far and I am amazed and completely intrigued. I hope you do not mind me poping in an reading. I have learned so much and can not wait to learn more. I hope you are open to questions and or even conserns if they would pop up. Thank you.

peace and Smiles
Hottprof I am glad that you stopped by. You are most welcome to post anything you want and ask questions. I am sure there is always an answer for every question...maybe even more than 1 answer to every question!!
The Following User Says Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #59
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:

QUOTE=Bit;11145]I read a marvelous book on Santa and Shamanism several years ago, Foxy. The author made a cogent case for the sacred colors, and might have mentioned fly agaric--I don't remember--but also tied Santa into the tompte and other northern beings. He also traced Santa's history as he changed, passing through the Germanic and Celtic cultures.[/QUOTE]

Good Morning Miss Bit!!!

I am always interested in reading other thoughts and ideas on Santa and how the traditions all started. I have found over the years that there is always an excited audience when we begin to discuss our holidays and pagan beginnings.

Right now I am preparing a Winter Solstice ritual called Dreaming the Dark. I did it in 2007 and have had requests to do it again this year. There are three parts to it, drumming, aspecting and joiking. We meet for a practice and then we meet for real on Dec 21. It is a good thing that the 21st is a Monday, cause not many people have office or family plans on a Monday. I am not including those who celebrate Yule and not Christmas. Those individuals are obviously busy <sometimes I catch myself thinking and I am all like.... oh bright one Foxy, briiiggghhhttt...>

Now I won't have amanita muscaria for this, although they do grow where I am. I have seen them but never ingested them, I have heard they make you very sick, very sick indeed. But then ayahuasca made me very sick, and I knew that going in and it did not change my resolve to try it.

Anyway I am getting off track.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #60
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Daryn, HotProf}}}}}}}}}}}}} Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Daryn, I hope you might be willing to share a little about your path and the take your Tradition has on the holidays, because I've never researched that. *pretty please?*

HotProf, darlin, you ask all the questions you like! That's what keeps a thread like this active, people having questions and concerns, yanno? And I am always happy to talk, but what I love even more is when everyone talks cuz then I learn a LOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshaman View Post
Good Morning Miss Bit!!!
Good mornin', darlin! Even if it is another day midafternoon, lol... still, hello hello! And btw, thanks for checking on me. I'm okay, just tired from housecleaning and frustrated cuz the work doesn't show the way I thought it should.... lord love a DUCK this place needs work (twas vacant for eight years before we bought it). And we have company, so I haven't been online so much, but hey, I'm back!
Quote:
I am always interested in reading other thoughts and ideas on Santa and how the traditions all started. I have found over the years that there is always an excited audience when we begin to discuss our holidays and pagan beginnings.
I've been searching for our Pagan beginnings for YEARS, yanno? I didn't find much at first, then I found books like the one I read on Santa being the memory of Shamans, then I found some things online. I think overall the thing which most influenced me was the realization that the Romans celebrated "Christmas" the same way we do here in the US (and presumably the rest of the Western World, lol, but maybe not to the same excess) long before there was anything known as Christianity... Saturnalia was a commercialized Mid-winter Festival held within a week of Solstice with obligatory gift-giving, loving gift-giving, huge traditional feasts, holidays from work, "mandatory" Temple celebrations---and lots of people bitching about the over-commercialization of the holiday.

Quote:
Right now I am preparing a Winter Solstice ritual called Dreaming the Dark. I did it in 2007 and have had requests to do it again this year. There are three parts to it, drumming, aspecting and joiking.
For those who don't know, here are some links to joiking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoik

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaitEJidUs0"]YouTube- Sami Joik[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzupjHuvACk&feature=related"]YouTube- Yoik'n Roll - Yoik/music[/ame]

Now, my dear Foxy, tell me please... what do you mean by aspecting? *eyebrow waggle* love learning new things!!

Quote:

Now I won't have amanita muscaria for this, although they do grow where I am. I have seen them but never ingested them, I have heard they make you very sick, very sick indeed. But then ayahuasca made me very sick, and I knew that going in and it did not change my resolve to try it.

Whoa! You are braver than I, Gunga Din....

I have sometimes wondered if the utter disruptions of the electrical system one experiences with fibromyalgia might mimic some of the altered states one achieves with drugs....certainly not ayahuasca or amanita(!!) but maybe some of the milder drugs that are used in shamanism.

Quote:
Anyway I am getting off track.
Nope, actually, you are right on track. This is all part of Paganism as far as I'm concerned, anyhow. To me, Pagan is a big umbrella term that encompasses all the nature-based and psychic-based spiritualities including Shamanism, and I love it when you share your experiences with us because it broadens my knowledge, gives me new things to try and new ways to look at the world. And isn't that what it's all about?