Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Brainstorming: Improving Quality of Life for the LGBTQ Community

I often fantasize about having some sort of LGBTQ union(?) guild(?) nonprofit(?) fraternal organization(?) that we could join, pay dues to based on our incomes, and in exchange meet the specific needs of our community.

Specific examples:
Affordable Group Medical Benefits (Including all the normal healthcare needs, but also including funding for transitions and baby-making)

Access to affordable Legal Representation and Counsel (to help with issues with same-sex partnerships, wills, power of attorney, divorce, marriage, second parent adoption)

Adoption services

Advocacy

Youth Support (helping LGBTQ foster kids, runaways and throw-aways find support and housing - also helping the children of LGBTQ parents find community)

Prisoner support and post-prison support

Addiction support

Career Counseling and Coaching

Financial services and advice

Assistance with Education and Job Training

Insurance specifically catering to our needs (outside of health insurance, already mentioned above)

Elder support and advocacy (A study just came out showing our community members are more isolated with less support than their straight counterparts. Also I remember a horrible story a while back about a couple being forced into separate nursing homes and one dying while the other was separated. I dont know if there are LGBTQ retirement communities which include nursing facilities but I hope there are by the time I get there)

Alliance with companies, agencies, nonprofits, service providers who are LGBTQ-friendly (for example, currently I have an iPhone through AT&T. My understanding is that apple is very supportive of the LGBTQ community, but AT&T makes contributions to anti-LGBTQ candidates. I would love it if the iPhone were available through a carrier which is strong in supporting our rights)

Immigration support for same-sex binational couples and for folks who are endangered by the laws of their home countries due to their LGBTQ status

Education for schools, police, firepeople, businesses and medical personel concerning the specific needs of our community

Support for the disabled within our community

Support for those of us who bridge more than one marginalized community

Support for the targets of anti-LGBTQ hate crimes

Coming-Out support

Support for LGBTQ-owned small businesses

The list goes on and on. My wish is that enough of us could form a group that would be strong in numbers and with a broad enough financial base to make a difference in the quality of life among the members of our community.

Is this possible or a pipe dream?

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post: