Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #21
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

International Coming Out Day still relevant?

93 nations in the world still legally punish homosexuality.

In 7 of these - Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, United Arab Emirates, Sudan, Nigeria, Mauritania - gays and lesbians are punished with the death penalty.

It's been years since the Supreme Court officially knocked down anti-sodomy laws as unconstitutional in Lawrence v. Texas, but Texas' state legislature has thus far refused to remove the law from the books—in large part because most Texas Republicans still support it.

In 2010, Texas GOP made defense of the anti-sodomy statute part of its platform, calling for the state to effectively ignore the the law of the land: "We demand that Congress exercise its authority granted by the U.S. Constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy." Gov. Rick Perry, meanwhile, dismissed the Lawrence decision as the product of "nine oligarchs in robes" (never mind that it was a 6–3 decision).

But Texas isn't the only state that's still legislating bedroom activity.

Fourteen states currently have laws on the books outlawing anal sex between two consenting, unrelated adults—referred to variously as "deviate sexual conduct," "the infamous crime against nature," "sodomy," and "buggery." And it's taken a concerted effort to keep those laws on the books.

Since Lawrence, efforts to formally repeal laws in Montana, Kansas, Utah, Louisiana, North Carolina, and, most notably, Texas have all faced resistance before fizzling out in their respective state legislatures.

Conservatives in those states know they can't enforce the laws, but by keeping them in the code, they can send a message that homosexuality is officially condemned by the government. So which states still have sodomy laws?

All Sodomy Outlawed: Idaho, Utah, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana

Just for gays: Montana, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas

Yes, this lesbian feels that National and International Coming Out Day is just as relevant today, as it was in 1987.

Facts Source: Mother Jones

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #22
jac
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
butch stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine ones work best...
Relationship Status:
♥ engaged to spritz ♥

Thanked 16,492 Times in 2,972 Posts
jac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputationjac Has the BEST Reputation

In the past years I have participated in rallies and peaceful protests... One year I made a poster that I still have propped by my stairwell leading to my bedroom. It's a constant reminder that everyday is a Coming Out Day for me and that I will always be a supporter and mentor for our struggling "family member" on their journey out. Funny thing... it's almost like another birth canal entrance into the world, a rebirthing, so to speak.

I'm a firm believer of live by example and so with that said, I present myself to the world with a positive assurance that I am "out" and I am not going back into the closet ever again. Not that this was how I felt or acted all of my life but it has been a little over 10 years for me now. I came out when I was 35... 2001.

jac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #23
Daktari

Thanks to those who recognised it as International Coming Out Day. Being gay/queer/homo et al happens all over the globe, not just North America. I know, I know it's an american website. Anyhoo, my thanks again for thinking of those outside your own shores too.

[RAMBLE]As a person who has been un/fortunate enough to live a very alternative lifestyle for most my adult life I've been cocooned and protected from homophobia in it's institutional and insidious hidden forms, for the most part.

I happened to watch the episode of Glee last night where the football bully dude tried to hang himself after he was outed. It started me off thinking about being at school myself and the whispers/judgemental comments from the adults around me about two 'gay' (I struggle with that word) teachers at my primary and junior school (ages 5-11). I thought those teachers were just like every other adult but the adults around me seemed to believe they were different. It's only as an adult that I can imagine how it must have felt to be whispered about and judged.

At senior school (ages 11-16) I also recalled the sneering way kids would talk about 'queers and poofs'. One particular event sticks in my mind clearly. I was 12 and two girls were parading around the halls holding hands and kissing each other. Much laughter and disgust followed them as they fun out of being lezzer/lesbo/lezzo. I can recall how the me inside cowered and hid away because I knew, knew right at that point, that the 'difference' I'd always felt was because I like girls in the way they were making fun of...I knew I needed to hide it and protect myself. It took another 14yrs to officially come out having just turned 26 in January 1990

Some 20odd years later I see young people who do come out in their teens and can live a life that is true to who they are. I also see kids who still feel they can't come out. Homophobia in communities is still there. I'm lucky enough to live in a town where the gay population is large and is also an hour away from one of the big 'gay' cities.

For those who live in small, provincial places, gay fellowship is still hard to find and homophobia looms large.

Yesterday I thanked all those that have gone before us that have suffered, fought and kept on fighting just so people like us can continue to come out.[/RAMBLE]

So much has changed and there is so much change yet to come.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

National Coming Out day is coming up - October 11.

Last year I read many of your stories about coming out and was in awe of some, saddened by many and grateful that my coming out was so easy.

When I read the stories you wrote it made me want to share them with others so I am working on a book "Coming Out Lesbian". I have been working on an outline and a survey and would also like to share the stories of those who would like to share. Good stories and bad stories, I think it is very important for family and friends of the LBGTQ community (and those who may not be friends) to have a better understanding of what we all go through.

I have put together a survey to start gathering more information for my book. If you consider yourself a lesbian could you please take the survey and answer a few questions. I expect the survey to take 5 to 10 minutes.

If you would like to share your story as well please contact me at wisdomworks@live.com

At this time I am only looking for stories about coming out lesbian, I am hoping to make this into a series and include books on other types of coming out.

I would not share or sell any contact information given and this is entirely voluntary.

http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/wisd...g-out-lesbian/

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at the above email address.

We obviously still need this day.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Larissa
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Here in utah this is what is planned as of what I have heard.
Incase anyone is interested here.

National Coming Out Day is a celebration of individual and family journeys as well as an opportunity to raise awareness around the needs associated with this process.This year's NCOD Brunch has the theme "Coming Out for Equality".

The Brunch will be October 13, 2013 from 10am to 12pm.

The Sheraton Hotel
150 W 500 S, SLC UT

The youth here also hold a gathering to celebrate. As well as the school groups for LGBTQ do personal celebrations in the groups.

It's refreshing to see. As the years go by, so many more people willing to feel and be who they are without fear.
And many of the youth not in these groups are becoming much more accepting. That is a beautiful thing to see.
Still have a long way to go though.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #26
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

Is anyone celebrating? Is your town celebrating?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

It's (Inter)National Coming Out Day.
I wore my pride necklace to work and I am loving everyones stories on FB.
The Following User Says Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #28
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Heading to the Amtrak north, sporting rainbow suspenders, neckerchief and out and about T-shirt. with rainbow flag...oh yeah and the usual black pants
So the girl can spot me at the station ...BWAAAAhhhhh
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post: