Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #1061
Loren_Q

How Do You Identify?:
Loren. If you want to know about me, just ask.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her, but I'm not that picky.
Relationship Status:
it's complicated...

Loren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST Reputation

But you didn't smoke, go you!

"Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power."
Oscar Wilde
Loren_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #1062
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsunflower View Post
Well done Lady Pamela.

Two years is a good long time and you're doing it!

I'm struggling again this week, trying to remind myself of a day at a time, but just really wanted to smoke last night.

I was so happy to realise when I woke this morning that I didn't smoke; I'd be kicking myself right now.

Just for today, I won't be smoking.
Trust me when I say, This wasn't my first rodeo..ha
You will do this if your consistant and don't kick your ass. It serves no real good purpose.
If you mess up then start over and keep posotive. Your vision of how you see yourself is half the battle. Ya know what I mean?

So happy for you that you have chosen to breathe and live.
Keep it up!

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #1063
Redsunflower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Redsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST Reputation

1 month, 3 weeks, 5 days, who knew it was possible????!!????

Redsunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Redsunflower For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #1064
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
1 month, 3 weeks, 5 days, who knew it was possible????!!????

Congrats! Keep it going!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #1065
Redsunflower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Redsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST Reputation

It's 3 months today and I'm still going strong.

I'm trying not to get complacent. Every time I have a non-smoking anniversary I want to have a ciggie to celebrate!

Here's to the next 3 months.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Redsunflower For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #1066
Queenie

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,891 Times in 523 Posts
Queenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

I have been smoke free for seven months now. Its one of the best things I have ever done. Do I still want a smoke? God yes! But I wont as I am really proud in stopping my over 15 year habit. And I have a lot more money to spend on shoes and makeup!
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #1067
Loren_Q

How Do You Identify?:
Loren. If you want to know about me, just ask.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her, but I'm not that picky.
Relationship Status:
it's complicated...

Loren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST Reputation

First off, go Queenie and Redsunflower! Excellent job.

I've gone over a year cigarette/smoke free (last smoke was sometime in February 2013).

To tell you the truth, I haven't promoted my smoke-free time because of the flack for doing this with e-cigs. I still use my e-cigs too. Virtually all of my liquids are nicotine free. I do have 1 low nicotine liquid that's been sitting untouched for a few months now.

This is the longest I've gone without that terrible craving that makes me either smoke or want to commit a felony (or both) and I'm pretty darned happy about that.

"Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power."
Oscar Wilde
Loren_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Loren_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #1068
Daktari

I should have posted here last week.

26th April it was 4yrs since I gave up smoking tobacco/tobacco related products/ecigs et al

It's not a big up for myself but a reminder for those in the process that one day at a time the quit time builds up.

One is too many and a thousand never enough!!

Keep the faith
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #1069
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
I should have posted here last week.

26th April it was 4yrs since I gave up smoking tobacco/tobacco related products/ecigs et al

It's not a big up for myself but a reminder for those in the process that one day at a time the quit time builds up.

One is too many and a thousand never enough!!

Keep the faith
Congrats!

I think it is crazy that I don't know the exact day both myself and TF quit smoking in October 2009. It was like the 19th, 20th or something. I think it was October? You would think this is something I would remember!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #1070
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Congrats!

I think it is crazy that I don't know the exact day both myself and TF quit smoking in October 2009. It was like the 19th, 20th or something. I think it was October? You would think this is something I would remember!
I get it...I know my quit dates for alcohol and tobacco but not other drugs.

Tobacco and alcohol were both killing me physically...literally, in quite horrible ways... and that's why I think I remember the dates specifically. The other drug (of no-choice) was only killing my soul and sorta faded out which is why, I believe, I don't remember the specific date.

ps. I don't remember the dates for giving up caffeine or refined/processed sugar either.
pps. Currently working on 'giving up' social type websites on the internet. Not doing so well seeing as I'm posting here )
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #1071
grenade

How Do You Identify?:
Full Flavor Femme

Thanked 8,062 Times in 2,121 Posts
grenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputation

It's been 2 years for me now!!!

I don't even miss it anymore.
grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to grenade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #1072
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Congrats!

You got me thinking Dapper, I can't remember the exact date of my very last cigarette. For a couple of years I didn't smoke unless I went out to a club or dance. I don't drink or smoke weed so I needed a little something to fortify my courage, swagger. I think the last cigarette I may have had was the night I met Julie at a B-F dance. That was back in December of 2008.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #1073
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenade View Post
It's been 2 years for me now!!!

I don't even miss it anymore.
Hell, I miss it every day. You're lucky.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #1074
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Still here and I didn't fall off the face of the earth...ha Though it may appear at times I have. smiles

Just checking in saying hello to everyone and still smoke free...Though I have had some very challenging moments that made me want to.

How is everyone?

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #1075
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pamela View Post
Still here and I didn't fall off the face of the earth...ha Though it may appear at times I have. smiles

Just checking in saying hello to everyone and still smoke free...Though I have had some very challenging moments that made me want to.

How is everyone?
Hi, Pam. Doing well. How is your health?

Old 05-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #1076
Kimpooh

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian, just me ;-)
Preferred Pronoun?:
She... Her... Baby... Babe... ;-)
Relationship Status:
Single

Kimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST ReputationKimpooh Has the BEST Reputation
Default YES!!!!

I too have smoked since I was 12!! I try to quit several times a year and also have tried everything but e-cigarette. That's up next! Cancer, in all it's ugly forms, has taken from me many friends and it runs heavily in my family, including myself (skin cancer twice) so I really am quite the idiot for smoking. Problem is, while everyone is really good at lecturing me that I should quit, the same people get super irritated at me when the bitchiness & mood swings of withdrawal hits!! So I have a distinct lack of support... I had quite the little drug habit years ago but I can honestly say quitting doing dope was easier than stopping smoking!!!
Any tips, pointers, suggestions for success would be greatly appreciated!!
Kimpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimpooh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #1077
Redsunflower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

I'm now approaching 7 months nicotine free.
I'm so delighted with myself I could happy dance all over the place.
Maybe this will do...

Congrats to everyone else still going strong. We are the greatest.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Redsunflower For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #1078
deathbypoem

How Do You Identify?:
Poetically versed to breathe only truth and bleed certainty
Preferred Pronoun?:
Kane
Relationship Status:
Married to Chefnaction

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,586 Posts
deathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputation

Sigh. I must admit that I have been smoking since I was 15. It's been a very long battle, and not one that I easily put down. However, I have attempted quitting 3 or 4 times. The longest I ever quit was 8 months. I made a huge mistake for picking the habit back up. The saying that nicotine is addictive, couldn't be further from the truth. I'm ready to quit for good. (yeah, said that before too) Im just tired of it. And ready to move on in life, better my health over all and not have that constant need for nicotine. Now, I realize different things work for different people. Obviously what I tried didn't work long enough, and the willpower didn't last either. Being strong and ending this addiction isn't easy by a long shot. Hoping that I will find some common ground and put that shit to the dirt once and for all. Wishing everyone a super great success in keeping themselves clean and nicotine free! It's a struggle. For sure.

I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own
deathbypoem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deathbypoem For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #1079
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimpooh View Post
I too have smoked since I was 12!! I try to quit several times a year and also have tried everything but e-cigarette. That's up next! Cancer, in all it's ugly forms, has taken from me many friends and it runs heavily in my family, including myself (skin cancer twice) so I really am quite the idiot for smoking. Problem is, while everyone is really good at lecturing me that I should quit, the same people get super irritated at me when the bitchiness & mood swings of withdrawal hits!! So I have a distinct lack of support... I had quite the little drug habit years ago but I can honestly say quitting doing dope was easier than stopping smoking!!!
Any tips, pointers, suggestions for success would be greatly appreciated!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbypoem View Post
Sigh. I must admit that I have been smoking since I was 15. It's been a very long battle, and not one that I easily put down. However, I have attempted quitting 3 or 4 times. The longest I ever quit was 8 months. I made a huge mistake for picking the habit back up. The saying that nicotine is addictive, couldn't be further from the truth. I'm ready to quit for good. (yeah, said that before too) Im just tired of it. And ready to move on in life, better my health over all and not have that constant need for nicotine. Now, I realize different things work for different people. Obviously what I tried didn't work long enough, and the willpower didn't last either. Being strong and ending this addiction isn't easy by a long shot. Hoping that I will find some common ground and put that shit to the dirt once and for all. Wishing everyone a super great success in keeping themselves clean and nicotine free! It's a struggle. For sure.
It's tough, can't lie about that, but a hard job is somehow more satisfying in the end.
It takes more than just will-power. It requires an inner job. Work on changing your mind set, on breaking physical and mental habits.

35yr smoker. Just over 4yrs smoking quit.

On this thread you'll find like minded souls who'll be endless supportive as long as you put the effort in.

I suggest you start before you actually quit. Consult with your GP about any NRT or pharmaceutical help you can get. I chose the Chantix route. There are warnings about certain folks taking Chantix and I'm one of those folks but I took the risk after discussion with my respiratory nurse and the GP.
It worked for me...I wanted it to work and worked hard at making it work.

I chose to be positive about quitting even when I didn't want to be and refused to listen to the little addict devil on my shoulder telling me "It'll be too hard" "folks will hate me when I get moody" "I don't have willpower" "what will I do with my hands" "I'll put on weight". If you believe that voice you're setting yourself up for failure before you've even started. Don't do it!

Major aspect for me was breaking the hand to mouth action and one I worked really hard on. I really didn't want to replace cigs with food. I'm glad that I didn't have ecigs available to me 4 and half years ago. I think it would have kept me a slave to having to put something in my lungs to make me feel 'better' or 'different' in some way. If stuff doesn't make us feel better in some way why would we do it? The mindset/motivation and action of using of an ecig is the same as smoking a cig even if the chemicals aren't the same. That's just my opinion.

Fear worked wonderfully for me, having just survived the most serious chest infection I'd had to date, my then gf was watching me asphyxiate in front of her. I strongly suggest you don't allow yourself to get to the imminently life threatening stage as I did.

Learning to deal with the moodies and the swings is a trial and error affair. I spent a lot of time walking or cycling on my own. Or washing dishes. Vacuuming the stairs. You get my drift. Keep busy, do positive things for yourself. Keeping busy also helps mitigate against the inevitable weight gain. Even wee, skinny me gained 20-25lbs. 4yrs later I'd lost it all. My housemate also lost all her smoking weight gain around 4yrs too. You have a choices in limiting the gain.

Make yourself accountable, post here or some other place. A daily check in with folks who are also giving up, or have done and are willing to be part of the cheerleading team really makes you think about caving and picking up the next ciggie. Remember it's the first one that does the damage...one is too many and a thousand never enough.
Ask your friends to be as supportive as they can find it in their hearts to be...even when you're being irritable and/or irritating. I got lucky, everyone was really supportive for me, despite times of deep irritability and being deeply irritating.
Make it your mission to break the habitual actions. Make yourself aware of your danger times when you might crave a cig more than at other times. Be prepared for hard cravings to creep up on you by surprise.
I had one of those plastic inhalator things...generally without the nicotine cartridge for a few weeks at the start just for the worst cravings, empty hands and something to chew on times.

You'll be so proud of yourselves when you succeed.
Your mission, should you accept it, is to start your personal positive self talk this week.
My quit self talk was based around knowing that I was powerless over nicotine when I actively had it. I only had any power over it when I wasn't having it. I knew it would mean being kind to myself and not giving myself a hard time because I'd been snippy with someone or overreacted in some situation or other. You get the idea. Relentlessly positive.

There's never a good or right time to quit. Why not set yourself a date in a month and start doing the mental prep now? Double dare ya!

Quote:
I'm now approaching 7 months nicotine free.
I'm so delighted with myself I could happy dance all over the place.
Maybe this will do...

Congrats to everyone else still going strong. We are the greatest.
Freakin' awesome you!

Might I might make so bold as to say...a day at a time...

I told ya so!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #1080
uglyboi

How Do You Identify?:
As the 'The Bourne Identity'
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cheerful pessimist
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,213 Times in 327 Posts
uglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputation
Default No Smoke

2 years, 9 months, and 2 day!!!

If I can do it anyone can!!!!!
uglyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uglyboi For This Useful Post: