Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 10-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #341
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation
Default Paleo Pyramid

“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #342
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Ahk those seemed like the 2 fairest charts I could find, as many of them purposely lean in favor or one eating plan or the other. Google the others and see what you think.

As for me, I have pretty much switched to Mediterranean because I was gaining weight with Paleo which I do not want, also because I want as "clean" of a diet as much as possible and that can be quite expensive with Paleo. Yes, I still buy organic veggies and fruit as often as I can get them, but that is not too difficult to do here in Florida. I still eat some Paleo foods but am leaning more and more towards Mediterranean because I feel better when I eat that way. Also fish and shellfish is plentiful here as well. So it works well for me.

Are ya'll thinking of switching plans?
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #343
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Ahk those seemed like the 2 fairest charts I could find, as many of them purposely lean in favor or one eating plan or the other. Google the others and see what you think.

As for me, I have pretty much switched to Mediterranean because I was gaining weight with Paleo which I do not want, also because I want as "clean" of a diet as much as possible and that can be quite expensive with Paleo. Yes, I still buy organic veggies and fruit as often as I can get them, but that is not too difficult to do here in Florida. I still eat some Paleo foods but am leaning more and more towards Mediterranean because I feel better when I eat that way. Also fish and shellfish is plentiful here as well. So it works well for me.

Are ya'll thinking of switching plans?
Yep, thinking about switching. I've been having some medical issues for about a year now and recently to the cardiologists and he recommended looking into Mediterranean--

My question-- do you eat a lot of legumes? bread? grains? Eating paleo for 2 years or so -- really gets you. But I think I gained too much weight as well -- so not good.

Could you give me an example of what you eat in a day? Thank you. Plus, any good websites for recipes? I just can't find what I'm searching for.

Thanks again.

ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #344
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Ahk,

First off, I am sorry that you have been sick and hope that you are able to figure out what's going on and get things fixed. You're in my prayers and thoughts.

Although I am certainly no Dr., if the problem is cardiological in nature, I would back away from the red meats and incorporate more fish and free range poultry, along with lots of vegetables of all colors and varieties if I were standing in your shoes.

The past few months I have fallen off the wagon, and haven't been eating as healthy as I would like to and a big part of that is I stopped juicing due to temporary insanity. But I am getting back on that wagon, and will get the juicer going again here in the next couple of days. I have to find a minute to get to the produce stand first.

I will pm you some sites that have healthy Mediterranean recipes. I think that is the better way to do it, since this is the Paleo thread.

In answer to your other questions, I eat legumes, bread and grains in moderation. Usually the grains I consume are things like polenta, quinoa and wild rice. Oats, 100% wheat and that sort thing are a very rare thing in my house. I still use coconut flour and other nut flours. I use Evo and coconut oil.

Really the main thing that has changed is I swapped out the red meats for fish, shellfish and poultry, I've tripled my intake of veggies and added fruits and some grains back in.

95% of my juicing is veggies, and I generally drink 2 glasses a day, 1 about an hour before breakfast, and the other usually between lunch and dinner. I eat an apple most evenings. The rest of the time I drink water or unsweetened tea.

You should start a Med thread. I have a bunch of recipes.

Be well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post
Yep, thinking about switching. I've been having some medical issues for about a year now and recently to the cardiologists and he recommended looking into Mediterranean--

My question-- do you eat a lot of legumes? bread? grains? Eating paleo for 2 years or so -- really gets you. But I think I gained too much weight as well -- so not good.

Could you give me an example of what you eat in a day? Thank you. Plus, any good websites for recipes? I just can't find what I'm searching for.

Thanks again.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #345
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,121 Times in 8,601 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default North Park Rumble

North Park Rumble Salad (Sweet Potato and Kale with Honey-Chili Dressing)

Ingredients
4 Sweet Potatoes
1 Bag of Kale

Dressing
– Olive Oil
– 1 Lemon
– Chili (or Curry) Powder
– Cayenne Pepper
– Red Pepper Flakes
– 1 Shallot
– Honey

Directions
Cut raw sweet potatoes into cubes and bake, grill, or roast for 30 or so minutes
Steam kale for 6-7 minutes. Once cooked, mix together in bowl and set aside

Dressing
Pour appx. 3/4 cup Olive Oil in a separate bowl and add ...
– finely chopped shallot
– juice of one lemon*
– 1 tablespoon chili powder*
– cayenne pepper (optional)*
– red pepper flakes (optional)*
– salt and pepper (optional)
– 1 tablespoon of honey*

The key is to make sure the kale is wilted; this allows the dressing to absorb into the kale.

*I taste the dressing as I add honey, lemon, chili (or curry) powder, cayenne, and pepper flakes ... so your measurements may differ from mine. I like it spicy so I added lots of spices (more than a tablespoon), but I don't like it too sweet so I used less than a tablespoon of honey. Also, I add the honey last because I can better gauge the balance of sweet and spicy when honey is the last ingredient.

You can use as many sweet potatoes as you want and as much kale as you want. I like lots of kale so I added the entire bag.

This salad is good warm or cold. I like it both ways.

Next time I will add pine nuts, or slivered toasted almonds, or unsweetened coconut flakes.

Experiment till you come up with what you like.

This salad is so good and easy to make that it's perfect for pot-luck gatherings.

Last edited by Orema; 11-07-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #346
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

If you live in Portland, OR: you are in luck!

I just read about a low carb/paleo store, called Caveman Pantry!

Caveman Pantry
7460 Southeast 82nd Avenue, Portland, OR 97266

http://www.cavemanpantry.com

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #347
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default Roasted Cauliflower

New York Times Video: Roasted Cauliflower

Click here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2016, 05:53 AM   #348
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Skillet Chicken (Pizza Chicken)

New York Times Video: Skillet Chicken (Pizza Chicken)

Click here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #349
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Low Carb Snacks

Here are some things I snack on.

Last edited by Orema; 01-17-2016 at 05:47 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #350
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I am cooking this tomorrow for supper. I have cooked it before and really liked it, so I thought I would share the recipe with you all.

I generally use collards but you can use any of the dark leafy greens, or even mix n match them.
I also add a yellow onion to the mix just because.
I use the plain gelatin from the grocery store.
Sometimes I add butternut squash chunks in with the sweet potato
Yes, it is a Paleo dish.

Beef & Sweet Potato Soup With Greens
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #351
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Morning all,
Here is a sweet potato chili contributed by Besame. It's a good time of year for it. Lindsey Cotter has some other Paleo and Gluten free recipes on her site that look good as well.

Crock Pot Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #352
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

I have not personally tried this recipe, but it's paleo, easy to make and looks good.

http://detoxinista.com/2016/01/vegan...rry-cream-pie/
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #353
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

For anyone who misses bread, here are a couple of bread recipes from the
KetoDiet Blog.

I have not done much Paleo bread baking but I have friends that swear by these recipes from the Keto Blog. I like that she walks you through what could go wrong and how to avoid it. I am thinking about baking a loaf or two and tossing them in the freezer for those times I want bread.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #354
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Paleo Beef Bourguignon and Cauliflower Mass

Click here for the recipe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #355
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Looks good O!

I knew I forgot something on my post...the picture of the bread! Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post

Old 02-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #356
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Looks good O!

I knew I forgot something on my post...the picture of the bread! Lol!
Your posts was perfect. I love that website. It's the best. Thanks for posting, Jesse!
Old 02-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #357
CyberStud
Timed Out - Identity Issues

How Do You Identify?:
Stud_elicious
Relationship Status:
Married to the gym..it's true love <3

Thanked 1,232 Times in 334 Posts
CyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST ReputationCyberStud Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post

I'm back on my paleo diet Monday after enjoying a bit of an extended festive break! So I'm going to try out this delicious looking recipe at the end of the week with the hope it taste as good as it looks.
Orema when you make yours!
CyberStud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CyberStud For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #358
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberStud View Post
I'm back on my paleo diet Monday after enjoying a bit of an extended festive break! So I'm going to try out this delicious looking recipe at the end of the week with the hope it taste as good as it looks.
Orema when you make yours!
Thank you. It'll be awhile before I get to this. It looks so good. My cauliflower mash never looks as good as this one, but when I make it, I'll have it with cauliflower rice.

Good luck to you, too, CyberStud!
Old 02-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #359
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Deviled Chicken Thighs

Deviled Chicken Thighs from NTTimes.com

In cooking, the term ''deviled'' has several meanings, but it most often implies a preparation with a sharp flavor, most often derived from mustard, vinegar, cayenne or other chiles. In this dish, you don't need vinegar, because there is plenty of acidity in Dijon mustard. Nor, strictly speaking, do you need cayenne (and I omit it when cooking for children); the taste is strong without it.

You can make this dish with chicken breasts if you prefer; I recommend bone-in breasts, which follow the same procedure. For boneless, skinless breasts -- forget crispness, of course -- smear the meat all over with the mustard mixture, then broil it for just about six minutes, turning two or three times to prevent burning.

– 8 chicken thighs, or a mixture of thighs and drumsticks
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
– ⅓ cup minced shallots, onion or scallion
– ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce, or to taste
– Minced parsley for garnish, optional

Heat the broiler to its maximum, and set the rack about 4 inches from the heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and place it in a pan, skin side up. Broil, watching carefully, until the skin is golden brown, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the mustard, shallots and cayenne. (If you have a small food processor, you can chop the shallots by throwing them in with the mustard and pulsing the machine on and off a few times.)

When the chicken has browned, remove it from oven, and turn it. Spread just a teaspoon or so of the mustard mixture on the underside of the chicken, and broil about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken, and spread the remaining mixture on the upper, or skin side. Broil until mustard begins to brown.

At this point, the chicken may be done. (There will be only the barest trace of pink near the bone; an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meat will read 160 degrees.) If it is not done, turn off the broiler and leave the chicken in the oven 5 more minutes or so. Garnish and serve.

Low carb, less than 30 minutes, serves 4
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #360
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Here's a quick lo carb, low calorie coconut sauce that is yummy spooned over broiled or baked fish.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of Leeks- cut into half moons. (Slice down the middle lengthwise, then make thin slices across)
1 cup of lite or regular coconut milk
Salt and pepper
1 Lime- cut into wedges

Instructions:

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat.

Stir leeks in and cook for about 1 minute, stir constantly

Add 1 cup of coconut milk,(You can use lite or regular, lite will have less calories & carbs) increase heat to medium-high until simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low until the sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 5 or 6 minutes depending on your stove.

S&P to taste. Spoon on top of broiled/baked fish* and serve with a lime wedge if desired.

*Also really good with grilled butterflied shrimp
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:

Tags
carbs, healthy fats, high protein, low carbs, paleo