Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #141
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,249 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
My question to this thread; are there any old school tools I can show her that would help her to communicate when the time comes? I remember TTYD (?) is this still viable and is it easy to use (and does anyone else use it)? Are there other tools I should be aware of? Maybe a book about losing hearing that she could read with tips? I am afraid she will be helpless and ready to be taken advantage of by others. The world she lives in is roughly 1950 and not apt to change. She is smart, with a masters degree so some of this could be a case of "if I don't do it I won't have to do it" but it is hard to tell.

Ideas?

ETA: I am new to this world and really hope I haven't said anything offensive. If so, please educate me.

i really feel for you...i did not have a tty and before texting it was impossible to talk to my sister unless i wanted to go thru the operator (very awkward)...since texting i have been able to communicate and even go for a visit...i think you understand what a milestone that is...i found a device that will let you use an iphone with a tty...not sure if this will help you...http://www.ehow.com/facts_5584756_tty-iphone_.html

good luck and i know how hard it is...hang in there
cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #142
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation
Default happy mothers day to all the deaf moms

The Following User Says Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #143
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Default you can text 911 in an emergency now...

http://lifehacker.com/you-can-text-9...row-1576457059
Old 05-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #144
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Default True Colors in ASL

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 05-24-2014, 04:03 AM   #145
tiaras-and-books

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
in a relationship with someone wonderful. :)

tiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputation

Found a thing that works awesomely for me and wanted to share.

The rundown: I have an auditory processing disorder. My ears work fine, but my brain doesn't turn what I'm hearing into anything useful a lot of the time.

I've previously tried ip-relay, which is sort of like TTY, and it worked okay for me, but not great. (All comments in this post are just about how the stuff worked for me personally. Different people prefer different things.)

I've also previously tried VRS, Video Relay Service, which is where you use ASL with an interpreter who relays between you and the hearing person. Not a great fit for me because my ASL isn't awesome to that degree yet, and it had the same issue for me as ip-relay - I couldn't speak for myself.

ANYway. The ASL tutor suggested I try VCO, Voice Carry Over. That's where I can talk directly to the person I'm calling - they can hear my voice. Then I can also hear them speaking, and at the same time an interpreter also signs to me what they're saying. So I get visual plus auditory, which is almost always the best situation for me.

It's working SPECTACULARLY for me. It's just the right fit. I've had multiple over-an-hour phone conversations with friends since I started using it, and I've also called for take out a couple of times, neither of which I've been able to do easily in several years.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case it's something someone here could use but hadn't yet considered. I use Purple as my VRS/VCO provider, if that's useful.
tiaras-and-books is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tiaras-and-books For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #146
tiaras-and-books

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
in a relationship with someone wonderful. :)

tiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputation

Deaf in Prison (Open captioned.)

The video is only available for 48 hours, so take some time to watch it sooner rather than later.
tiaras-and-books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #147
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Default Elton John aids hearing disabled in Philippines

http://archive.courier-journal.com/u...ticle/13395955
Old 08-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #148
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Default olivia newton john you are the one that i want

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=734317006641152
Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #149
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Default koko's tribute to robin williams

Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #150
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #151
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Old 12-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #152
stargazingboi

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~

Thanked 8,321 Times in 1,626 Posts
stargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputation

I know this may not be the place to post this...but it's the closest thing I have seen to reach out and ask questions regarding this topic.

Ok, so...I am faced with a new challenge and I am still processing the situation and still waiting on information to be able to figure out my next step in life as to how I am going to deal with it.

Yesterday, I had my hearing tested because I thought I was loosing it. Ever since I started having issues with my eyes my hearing started doing some odd things. I could hear ambulances miles away and could tell if they were getting closer etc. I thought it was my hearing was enhancing because of my vision. Months later I started hearing a ringing in my ear and music. Yes, music...a big band...like from the 20's and 30's. No one else could hear it. We again thought maybe I was hearing the marching band from the high school because we were a mile or so away and since I could hear ambulances miles away maybe I could hear the band. Then football season ended and I could still hear the music.

So, I googled it and found that music was related to hearing loss. I felt a little better in away. Maybe, just maybe I wasn't loosing it. I finally made the appointment to get my hearing tested. I figured it could be something simple..fluid..infection...heck I'm not that old I thought to myself. I also figured that since most hearing loss (at my age) is natural and that high pitches go first that is really is something minor. No worries.

I did an online test (yes not accurate but it would give me something to measure) and found that I had an upward slope issue (NOT the norm), but it was mild. I never concern myself until I am given reason to be concerned. I headed to my appointment yesterday and it was confirmed that I have a moderate to severe upward slope hearing loss. My right ear is worse than my left..but my left is following my right. As many may now if its going upward that I means I am losing my ability to hear lower tones. Hearing aids are being recommended and I was sent to an ear nose throat dr to find out exactly why this is happening. So, I am still missing information...which of course delays my ability to process this emotionally. As of right now the dr states that because there is no base line to compare it to we have no idea how fast this came on and how bad it will get. We also have no idea if aids will even work at this point. Although, she did indicate that the one that I would require if I am given the medical approval would cost $2600 just for one. *blinks* yeah ok..my insurance doesn't cover hearing aids.

I started to research places that maybe able to help, places that sell hearing aids at discount prices etc. However, I have to admit I'm feeling overwhelmed. Not only because of the new challenge but because what I have read about programming for this type of hearing loss is very difficult. Seems it is the opposite of what most hearing aids get programmed for..the downward slope. Or even if it's worth it the trouble of getting them?

But, if I do...

Any advance as to where I may turn to figure out how to pay for aids if approved? I only know of one agency and I am on the boarder for qualifying..so, I need a back up plan if given the medical approval.

As for the emotional side...I'm really not sure where I stand yet.
stargazingboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stargazingboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #153
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default I hope that some of these resources work out and may help. Sending positive thoughts your way.

HEAR Now: Sponsored by the Starkey Hearing Foundation (800-328-8602), this program provides hearing aids for people with net incomes below $19,058 for a single or $25,743 for couples. Your only costs are a hearing test and an application fee of $125 per hearing aid request.

Lions Affordable Hearing Aid Project: Offered through some Lions clubs throughout the U.S., this program provides the opportunity to purchase new, digital hearing aids manufactured by Rexton for $200 per aid, plus shipping. To be eligible, most clubs will require your income to be somewhere below 200 percent of the federal poverty level which is $22,340 for singles, or $30,260 for couples. Contact your local Lions club to see if they participate in this project.

Audient: This program (audientalliance.org, 866-956-5400) helps people purchase new, digital hearing aids at reduced prices ranging from $495 to $975 for one hearing aid or $990 to $1,575 for a pair. To be eligible, your income must be below $27,075 for a single or $36,425 for couples.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-t-...b_1641528.html

For a list of more programs, visit the Better Hearing Institute website at betterhearing.org, and click on "Hearing Loss Resources," then on "Financial Assistance." Or, call the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders at 800-241-1044 and ask them to mail you their list of financial resources for hearing aids.

More info: The National Institute on Deafness (800) 241-1044; e-mail: nidcdinfo@nidcd.nih.gov and the Better Hearing Institute (1-800-327-9355) have information on groups offering financial assistance for hearing aids.

Nonprofits. Sertoma helps people with hearing problems and runs a hearing aid recycling program, SHARP through its 420 clubs (1-816-333-8300). HEAR Now, sponsored by the Starkey Hearing Foundation provides hearing aids for people with limited income. Clients pay for evaluations and a fee of $125 per aid.

http://www.aarp.org/health/condition...ring-aids.html

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #154
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

hearing aids are not covered by insurance and many (including some of my family members) are actively fighting to change this.....not sure if this link will help...

http://www.ehow.com/info_8757403_hea...x-expense.html

Old 01-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #155
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Old 02-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #156
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #157
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Just got new aids. My insurance paid $2400, first time that's ever happened. Maybe now that all the baby boomers are old and losing their hearing, they've demanded that change, who knows.

What I don't get is why there is still no technology that will allow the aids to pick up blue tooth and stream music and phone calls directly to my ears. Is that so hard? Instead, I'm told this is an option if only I wear a device around my neck that looks a heck of a lot like a garage door opener. Seriously?

My mom, who got new hearing aids a few months ago, says that my chihuahua's toenails on her kitchen floor "sound like two tiny men wearing high heel shoes." My hearing aids don't allow me to hear that, which is a shame, because I sure would like to know why she thinks it sounds like two tiny MEN in high heels, and not two tiny WOMEN.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #158
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Hearing update...

Okay, so with the new hearing aids, I can now hear the sound of kissing. And it's not a pleasant sound.

Last night I was watching some rom-com on TV, and as the couple began making out, I heard the sounds of slurping and smacking. At first, I didn't even associate it with the kiss. I thought maybe the dog was on the couch next to me licking himself in that way that male dogs do (not that I ever hear that sound either, but I've heard it described as pretty gross).

But no. It was the kissing couple (besides, the dog wasn't even in the room). And before you think I was watching some cringe comedy and it was supposed to be over-the-top, it wasn't. In fact, it was one of those (way too frequent) scenes in rom-coms where the two leads hate each other, end up being forced to kiss each other for some silly reason, and discover they have this amazing chemistry. It was supposed to be a shining romantic moment (not to mention one of the kissers was Amy Adams, and I rather enjoy watching her do any-damn-thing she does). And there I am, sitting on my couch making an "I smell shit" face and thinking how VILE that sounds.

The next time I make out with someone, I'm taking out my hearing aids.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #159
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Default in the hospital with no interpreter for 5 days

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153037555301465

Old 02-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #160
SaltyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Old School Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/she/hey you.....
Relationship Status:
open to the possibilities

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 5

Thanked 1,635 Times in 301 Posts
SaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST Reputation

I am posting here, well because it seems appropriate. I as of a week ago have lost the hearing in my left ear. The doctor says it's an infection and with any luck the penicillin will work, through this experience I have a new found respect for those faced with this challenge. I am hoping it is temporary, if not I now know that there is a forum that can help. Thanks for this.
SaltyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SaltyButch For This Useful Post: