Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #41
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
i've been secretly wanting a little freezer for the garage--i bought a new fridge for the kitchen that's counter-depth (shallow!) and there's really a LOT less room in it and the freezer is tiny, it's been a constant struggle for the 8 months that i've owned it, trying to make everything fit--all year we need ice and when we buy a bag there's little room left for anything else. do you know how much electricity those small freezers take?
I read somewhere that those little ones can be anywhere from $3-$10 to run a month depending on if they are energy-saver or not.

Im in the same boat as you are with the freezer space here - I have a biggo 22 cubic foot side-by-side but for some reason, they decided to put a HUGEEEEE ice-making thing in it and it takes up about 1/3 of the freezer space. The fact that I have a 25-lb turkey in there means that I have even LESS space than usual.

But yeah, CHEAP to run!

(let's get matchies!)
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #42
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbyfem View Post
Instead I learned to love my slow-cooker again, freezing the extras for later on. I also threw out shocking amounts of fresh food doing a weekly shop so learned to shop Euro style, buying only the fresh things I needed for the next day or so. It really made a difference in reducing food waste.

Being frugal on many things still allows me the occasional splurge and has made me appreciate it that much more when I do.
I should really get a slow cooker. I hate coming home and cooking a meal for myself so I wind up going out more often than not. During the summer or when the weather is decent I will throw something on the grill, but once winter sets in... not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I need to figure out how to get a cube-type freezer myself because I have heard they are much lower on energy than other freezers and are on sale at sams right now for $99. Imagine how many turkies could fit in that!
When I was a kid my parents bought a used cube freezer from a hunter. Damn thing smelled like pheasant for months. Lots and lots of Arm & Hammer later it was great. We used to make reubens and freeze them so we could just pop a couple in the oven for dinner during winter months.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #43
tmbyfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

tmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.groupon.com

Groupon.com has great deals on restaurants and services for 35 cities throughout the US, often 50% off or more.

You get emails announcing the special of the day. Sometimes its a restaurant, other times it's things like spa services or kayak tours (to mention some of the recent San Diego bargins). If the minimum amount of people sign up within a specific time period (usually 20 or so) the deal is on. You have a limited amount of time to sign up for the deal then a coupon is sent via email the next day. Restrictions on when the coupon can be used is up to the individual vendor but usually there are little or no limits, just be mindful of the expiration date. Print it out and presto... bargin city.

Use this link to sign up and I'll get a $10 Groupon credit for each new member.
http://www.groupon.com/r/uu128214

Earlier this week I had a hunger for some soul food from local place I love but haven't indulged in a long time because of my tight budget. But today Bonnie Jean's was the Groupon special so I got a coupon for $30 worth of food for only $15.

It's like they read my mind... I see smothered chops, collard greens, mac-n-cheese and red velvet cake in my future soon!!
tmbyfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmbyfem For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #44
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,769 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
http://www.groupon.com

Groupon.com has great deals on restaurants and services for over 35 cities throughout the US, often 50% off or more.

You get emails announcing the special of the day. Sometimes its a restaurant, other times it's things like spa services or kayak tours (to mention some of the recent San Diego bargins). If the minimum amount of people sign up within a specific time period (usually 20 or so) the deal is on. You have a limited amount of time to sign up for the deal then a coupon is sent via email the next day. Restrictions on when the coupon can be used is up to the individual vendor but usually there are little or no limits, just be mindful of the expiration date. Print it out and presto... bargin city.

Use this link to sign up and I'll get a $10 Groupon credit for each new member

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu128214

Earlier this week I had a hunger for some soul food from local place I love but haven't indulged in a long time because of my tight budget. But today Bonnie Jean's was the Groupon special so I got a coupon for $30 worth of food for only $15.

It's like they read my mind... I see smothered chops, collard greens, mac-n-cheese and red velvet cake in my future soon!!

I LOVE 3 out of the 4 things you mentioned.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #45
tmbyfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

tmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputationtmbyfem Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post

I LOVE 3 out of the 4 things you mentioned.
OH!! Did I mention the fried chicken?!? Or catfish?!? BBQ short ribs?? Or how about the black-eyed peas and sweet potatoes!?!? How about red beans and rice!?!?

OMG the dinner combinations are endless *drool*
The Following User Says Thank You to tmbyfem For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #46
tmbyfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I should really get a slow cooker. I hate coming home and cooking a meal for myself so I wind up going out more often than not. During the summer or when the weather is decent I will throw something on the grill, but once winter sets in... not so much.
I'm not a big fan of cooking solo for the same reasons but had to adjust when things got tight. I much perfer to cook when I have someone to share it with.

So when I make a crock-pot of chili or spaghetti sauce I'll divide it into thirds. One third I eat fresh, usually its enough for a couple days worth of dinners and/or lunch. I split what's left into two freezer bags.

This helps in two ways... one I don't get sick and tired of eating the same thing for days and days but most importantly, after a long day at work I can make a quick tasty meal. I take it out of the freezer and put into the fridge the night before to defrost. When I get home all I need to do is warm it up and boil some pasta or make a salad. There's dinner sorted and I have enough left over for lunch or dinner the next day. Easy peasy!!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #47
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
OH!! Did I mention the fried chicken?!? Or catfish?!? BBQ short ribs?? Or how about the black-eyed peas and sweet potatoes!?!? How about red beans and rice!?!?

OMG the dinner combinations are endless *drool*

*laughs*

You are NOT right, girl!

Throw in some REAL cornbread (they don't know what it is up here) and you'll have a friend for life in me.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 AM   #48
tmbyfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

LOL!!! Maybe too much self denial can make one a bit over enthusiatic sometimes, eh? I'll take that as a compliment nonetheless

I cannot tell you how much I love Bonnie Jean's, I haven't been there since spring. Oh they do cornbread too!! And peach cobbler and sweet tea...

As far it being "real" or not all I can say is once I took a butch I was dating from North Carolina there. Doubtful as to finding "real" soul food in SoCal she took one bite of fried chicken, closed her eyes in bliss and sighed "Just like mama makes." Best endorsment possible. If you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods drop me a line and we'll chow down.

Dee-lish!!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #49
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,401 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

Frugal is my grandmothers middle name. If there is a way to squeeze a nickle and hear the buffalo fart she knows it. I'll be back.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #50
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

I felt ever-so-frugal this past week; made mac-n-veggies; used the same water to boil the veggies that I boiled the macaroni in. At that point it was broth, sort of--so I saved it and used it to make rice.

Frugal, frugal frugal!!!

I cooked the veggies in it cuz it was already hot, and I made the rice with it cuz it tasted really good.... oh. Wait.

Did I just lose my Frugality Points?

Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #51
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I posted this the other day but somehow it got lost and isn't on here.

My Grandma washes dishes only in hot water, wash and rinse. She turns on the hot water and catches the cold water coming out first in a milk jug. When it gets hot she runs about 2" of hot water in 2 small square plastic tubs.

She uses the water she caught in the milk jug to water her plants with. This reduces wasting water and saves on the water and sewer bill.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #52
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

I combine my trips and resist impulse buys.

Most of my groceries come from Trader Joe's and the majority of my produce at the big farmer's market down the road. What little meat I eat is purchased from a local grower - it's 100% grass-fed and organic and actually costs about the same as at the grocers. I only visit the supermarket when I need something they don't sell at TJ's. I also get items at Target or PetSmart. My boss just added me to the firm's Sam's Club - so I'll see how that pans out.

I try to reuse things as much as possible. Last fall I used my jar "collection" to can a few gallons of homemade apple butter. Dollar Tree is pretty good for some things but you really have to shop the place. I got a boatload of Fresh Step litter deodorizer there several months ago - they don't carry it any longer because it was a special purchase.

I'm looking forward to moving closer to work later this year. Right now I've got a 60 mile round trip commute and my gas budget nearly quadrupled when I changed jobs last year (the old round trip was 8 miles). I want something close enough to the office that will allow me to walk or bike to work.

Eating out is something saved for special occasions and I carry my lunch to work. Bottled water is a rare purchase that's what the Pur filter in the kitchen is for.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #53
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I posted this the other day but somehow it got lost and isn't on here.

My Grandma washes dishes only in hot water, wash and rinse. She turns on the hot water and catches the cold water coming out first in a milk jug. When it gets hot she runs about 2" of hot water in 2 small square plastic tubs.

She uses the water she caught in the milk jug to water her plants with. This reduces wasting water and saves on the water and sewer bill.
I saw you mention it on another thread! So, it wasn't lost, just hiding from you.

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #54
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I saw you mention it on another thread! So, it wasn't lost, just hiding from you.
OH well thanks I thought it was this thread my bad. I thought I was losing my mind actually. I'm missing another post too bet I miss placed it too.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #55
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
OH well thanks I thought it was this thread my bad. I thought I was losing my mind actually. I'm missing another post too bet I miss placed it too.
lol

That's what you get for posting, huh?

As long as the info is out there, it's a good thing, I think.

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #56
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Welp. I cashed in a whack of stock and used it to pay off 60% of my debt in one fell swoop. I feels so good to have that finally gone. I figured out it probably saved me about -- very rough estimate -- $10K (yes.. $10,000) in interest alone! That's the cost of top surgery at a really good surgeon!

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #57
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,524 Times in 1,697 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation
Default Don't know if this goes here but...

How about FREE???

Ben and Jerry's is giving away a free ice cream cone today to their customers in appreciation which is awesome cuz I soo do appreciate Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Ice Cream!!!

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...-and-jerrys%2F

Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #58
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The other night, I caught some TV show with a woman that was one hell of a coupon expert! She went grocery shopping and bought $130 worth of stuff and by the time she used her store discount card and all of the coupons she had... she paid 89 cents!!! Guess it was a shopping channel- I had insomnia and just turned the TV on....

Freaking AMAZING!!! I am working on my coupon strategy right now!!!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #59
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Wow Atlast, thats truly amazing!
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #60
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
The other night, I caught some TV show with a woman that was one hell of a coupon expert! She went grocery shopping and bought $130 worth of stuff and by the time she used her store discount card and all of the coupons she had... she paid 89 cents!!! Guess it was a shopping channel- I had insomnia and just turned the TV on....

Freaking AMAZING!!! I am working on my coupon strategy right now!!!
Did they call her the Coupon Mom? If so, that woman is AMAZING! She does that ALL THE TIME.

I'm misunderestimated.

Tags
frugal, saving money