Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > ART, POETRY, WRITING > Art

Old 11-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #321
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
I have Aperture, I paid a fortune for it and I hate it.

Picasa is a GREAT and free simple program that I use to resize and do color corrections on. I may just want to leave it at that. I love using it to import and organize my pics, I have about 10,000 on my mac and twice that on external hard drives....

I will check iphoto out. I am lazy and should have done that by now.

dee
I think you might like iPhoto. I'm surprised you don't like Aperture...how many licenses do you have for it?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #322
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
I think you might like iPhoto. I'm surprised you don't like Aperture...how many licenses do you have for it?
I dunno but you are more than welcome to it if I can get it to you.

I am also colorblind, so using color sliders is out of the question, unless I really want the sky brown and the grass blue.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #323
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

Without intent, I NEVER post a photo that has been manipulated in any way, so if you can get an idea of what you CAN do without photo editing, it is possible.

bird1 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr

meerkat4 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr

_MG_0127 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr

IMG_0105 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr

_MG_0093 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #324
Daktari

Quote:

I am also colorblind, so using color sliders is out of the question, unless I really want the sky brown and the grass blue.
Hah a colour blind photographer...that must make colour photography a challenge for you.

I'm sure we could work something out about Aperture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchEire View Post
Without intent, I NEVER post a photo that has been manipulated in any way, so if you can get an idea of what you CAN do without photo editing, it is possible.

bird1 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr

meerkat4 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr

_MG_0127 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr

IMG_0105 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr

_MG_0093 by Unleashed Image, on Flickr
I'm not a talented photographer sadly so I always use basic 'corrections', the same sort of things that exMrs.I used to show me in the darkroom only I do them digitally.

Very cool pics even though the subject matter isn't to my taste
Old 11-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #325
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Like I said I don't own Photoshop but wondered what the draw was.

I started out on Film, everytime I hit the shutter I remember thinkin 27cents, 27 cents, the cost of taking one picture.

I loved the adrenaline rush of waiting, and clicking at that exact right moment. I don't want to lose that. I already take 200 pics of the moon for example, and may keep one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #326
Daktari

Quote:
Like I said I don't own Photoshop but wondered what the draw was.

I started out on Film, everytime I hit the shutter I remember thinkin 27cents, 27 cents, the cost of taking one picture.

I loved the adrenaline rush of waiting, and clicking at that exact right moment. I don't want to lose that. I already take 200 pics of the moon for example, and may keep one.

When we were urbexing regularly I and two of the four of us used to take hundreds of pictures digitally and then edit the number heavily to achieve our best 50 or so. exMrs.I used to take either her old FM2 or the Hasselblad and take maybe 20 really cracking, thought out shots. I wish I could that sort of photographer.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #327
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
When we were urbexing regularly I and two of the four of us used to take hundreds of pictures digitally and then edit the number heavily to achieve our best 50 or so. exMrs.I used to take either her old FM2 or the Hasselblad and take maybe 20 really cracking, thought out shots. I wish I could that sort of photographer.
I love the long thought out shots, I love composing and trying to capture what my eye sees in the viewfinder. I love that rush. I don't love just shooting randomly and thinking *I can fix that later in Photoshop*, I've even gotten lazy on leveling my shot.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #328
Daktari

Quote:
I love the long thought out shots, I love composing and trying to capture what my eye sees in the viewfinder. I love that rush. I don't love just shooting randomly and thinking *I can fix that later in Photoshop*, I've even gotten lazy on leveling my shot.

Tsk! at you Dee...ya can't be that lazy. I aim to do as little as I can. I have actions in photoshop (which is now on my last iMac but one and not on this new one hence my desire for Aperture or similar) for certain levels of sharpness and saturation etc but that's it. Sometimes I've had to correct barrel distortion but only when using the 18-200...another reason I like fixed glass.

I came to love the discipline of self portraiture because I had to think how I might achieve the shot I wanted.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #329
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Tsk! at you Dee...ya can't be that lazy. I aim to do as little as I can. I have actions in photoshop (which is now on my last iMac but one and not on this new one hence my desire for Aperture or similar) for certain levels of sharpness and saturation etc but that's it. Sometimes I've had to correct barrel distortion but only when using the 18-200...another reason I like fixed glass.

I came to love the discipline of self portraiture because I had to think how I might achieve the shot I wanted.
Have you tried Picasa? http://picasa.google.com/mac/

I have my Aperture disk and will mail a copy to you or anyone else who wants it... Can I copy it?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #330
Daktari

Quote:
Have you tried Picasa? http://picasa.google.com/mac/

I have my Aperture disk and will mail a copy to you or anyone else who wants it... Can I copy it?
I did try picasa briefly but found I preferred Photoshop at the time. For real basic stuff I used to use Picnik.

I don't know how to make working copies of software discs. The same issue is there about legality of copyrighted material though.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #331
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
I did try picasa briefly but found I preferred Photoshop at the time. For real basic stuff I used to use Picnik.

I don't know how to make working copies of software discs. The same issue is there about legality of copyrighted material though.
That's what I thought, So I will just mail my disk to you.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #332
Daktari

Quote:
That's what I thought, So I will just mail my disk to you.
I know Photoshop comes with multi licenses so I'm assuming that Aperture does too so that a purchaser can load onto a laptop and a desktop.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #333
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
I know Photoshop comes with multi licenses so I'm assuming that Aperture does too so that a purchaser can load onto a laptop and a desktop.
i see, well i've only used it on laptop, it came installed.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #334
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotografferKel View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread. Love love love photo taking. Cajun Dee, I just fell in love with you. I love your thoughts on capturing the perfect shot. I am right there with you. I love your web site. I, too was born and raised in Louisiana. I am from Bossier City. I left LA in 2000 for Hot Springs, Arkansas. I have lived in the mountains ever since. Still love my swamps and cypress trees though.

Linus, thank you for starting this thread. Your photos are awesome. I envy the places you have visited. I love taking photos. Honestly, I can't stand taking pics of people. I am a landscape photographer. I don't mind taking photos of people who are unsuspecting of it. Like homeless people or a child exploring our beautiful world we live in. I am just a freelancer at heart. I also have found that my 12 year old daughter is a pretty good photographer. She has opened up another type of photography to me. She stages shots. Heck, I am enjoying getting up on a Saturday morning and spending the day just walking around our small town and exploring with our cameras and seeing what kind of stuff we can get into. Spending time with her and with our cameras is just priceless.

I opened my photography studio in our small town of 900 plus people this week. I'm excited and scared. Any thoughts about this? All ideas are accepted!!! I am going about this by the seat of my pants!!! I did a "Christmas Kiddo's Photo Contest" and I'm doing a free sitting fee and a DVD with photos on it and a Memory DVD set to the parents favorite song to the photos. The parent can take the DVD to Walmart and print the photos out. It went over well. I got 349 new people on my FB photo page.

Anyway, I use a NIKON D3100 and LOVE IT! I have always used NIKON even when I used a 35mm. I gave my daughter my NIKON CoolPix P500 to use. It's a Point and Shoot. She is amazing with it. I bought Photoshop and a book to learn to use it, but am scared to death of it. I NEED to learn how to use it so bad. I use Picnik to edit photos. I KNOW I need to use a more adult program. I'm fixing to make myself learn to use Photoshop!!!

Okay, I'm shutting up. Photography is my life. I love it!

Thanks everyone! Kel
WOW, Bossier City? Never thought I would hear that name outside of Louisiana.

Well we are much alike, Kel. I don't like shooting people either. One thing I love is candid shots like you say, I used to love taking pics of the kids camping and enjoying ice cream at the resort I worked at, fishing pics, a cute little girl outfishing her dad, stuff like that. I don't think I could do studio work. I like the big ole sky and the great outdoors.

OK where is your FB page! You can do lots of contests on FB pages and stuff, get people excited about it...

What do you plan to shoot in your studio? Or is it for your finished photos?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:30 AM   #335
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I never would have guessed that about you, but I think it would be fun to see the results of you mixing up the color slides!

(you know I'm a huge fan of your work)
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #336
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
I never would have guessed that about you, but I think it would be fun to see the results of you mixing up the color slides!

(you know I'm a huge fan of your work)
Lol yes.. especially the blue, greens and browns..Maybe I am on to something!!! Brown skies and blue fields.....

I shoot in Raw then hit the *color correct* auto button in Picasa. That is the extent of my editing.

I will be sending Incubus my Aperture disk, I can't wait to see what comes of it!

Fancy, I am a huge fan of yours too. I NEED to get back to working my Photosite on ArtAmerica, but when you feel like your pics are so run of the mill and compared to all the others, nothing special, you lose interest.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #337
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Lol yes.. especially the blue, greens and browns..Maybe I am on to something!!! Brown skies and blue fields.....

I shoot in Raw then hit the *color correct* auto button in Picasa. That is the extent of my editing.

I will be sending Incubus my Aperture disk, I can't wait to see what comes of it!

Fancy, I am a huge fan of yours too. I NEED to get back to working my Photosite on ArtAmerica, but when you feel like your pics are so run of the mill and compared to all the others, nothing special, you lose interest.
I hear what you're saying about run of the mill feeling, but I've always seen your vision as different, and a cut above. Although, I know from my own experience I go through phases where I feel like everything I've shot has been shot before. Sometimes taking a pause and then coming back to shooting gives me fresh perspective.

The eyes have it.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #338
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
I hear what you're saying about run of the mill feeling, but I've always seen your vision as different, and a cut above. Although, I know from my own experience I go through phases where I feel like everything I've shot has been shot before. Sometimes taking a pause and then coming back to shooting gives me fresh perspective.

The eyes have it.

Yes exactly, Like a sunset, I've seen and taken what I feel is nice sunset/sunrise shots, but they are a dime a dozen. We should start a pact to get back on track!

I am SO glad I came here, I went to my photo site and actually had two sales!!

WOW!!!!!!!

THAT made my day!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #339
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Quote:

Yes exactly, Like a sunset, I've seen and taken what I feel is nice sunset/sunrise shots, but they are a dime a dozen. We should start a pact to get back on track!

I am SO glad I came here, I went to my photo site and actually had two sales!!

WOW!!!!!!!

THAT made my day!
That's awesome! How do you like that site for selling?

I was trying out the Smug Mug site to sell for awhile with a couple of the theater projects I worked on. I was surprised at how easy it was to setup and the minimal charges to have a "shop". Although, most of the stuff I shoot I have no interest in selling; it's more about personal fulfillment.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #340
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Speaking of sunrises...here's one of my favorite sunrise shots (in an indirect way). Sunrise on Jekyll Island, GA with remnants from the outgoing tide.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post: