Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow band View Post
LOL, TRUE...but the wrong camera can ruin the right person's photo opportunity.
so why do you want a DSLR? The investment in the glass is a nice big one.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #302
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
I would love a rangefinder (if only I could afford a Leica). Keeping it old school and simple. Less choice, more creativity. S'why I favour fixed glass. Too much choice and decisions to make with a zoom (although I do own a couple)

We all work differently though.

A good picture is about framing and composition not how many megapixels or 'modes' yer camera has.
mega pixels has NOTHING to do with it. Absolutely the glass is important. Thats the bad rap the Canon Rebels I asked about earlier have (poor glass quality) I'm mostly interested in Depth of field.....you can't modify that with a computer. P&S will still have a purpose.
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #303
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
mega pixels has NOTHING to do with it. Absolutely the glass is important. Thats the bad rap the Canon Rebels I asked about earlier have (poor glass quality) I'm mostly interested in Depth of field.....you can't modify that with a computer. P&S will still have a purpose.

I love DofF and many times throw on my 300mm when doing an actual close up because I love the visual it gives.
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #304
Daktari

Quote:
I wasn't aiming the megapixels comment at you really Yellow band. It was a general sorta whinge about digital cameras because I believe the obsession with megapixels is just a marketing ploy to make folks upgrade.

I love mucking with dof too dee but use fast(ish) fixed glass to get the pics I like. My favourites are an old Sigma 28 2.8 and another old 35 1.4!!! Nikkor.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #305
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
I wasn't aiming the megapixels comment at you really Yellow band. It was a general sorta whinge about digital cameras because I believe the obsession with megapixels is just a marketing ploy to make folks upgrade.

I love mucking with dof too dee but use fast(ish) fixed glass to get the pics I like. My favourites are an old Sigma 28 2.8 and another old 35 1.4!!! Nikkor.
Yes and although I notice a difference in the quality of photos between my Canon 40D and 60D, I don't contribute any of that to the increase of megapixels... my 10 megapixel camera had just as a sharp image as my 2 megapixel.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #306
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

Unless you have some keen interest in blowing up your pictures to a massive level, 5 megapixels is plenty. Keep in mind that you are comparing apples and oranges when talking about digital versus film. Digital is based on interpolation and is a very different medium than film. Even top of the line digital prints are not acceptable by National Geographic, who continues to only accept film-based images.

Quote:

ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #307
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

I suppose I will need to break down and get Photoshop, but I don't want to.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #308
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

Ummm, torrents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
I suppose I will need to break down and get Photoshop, but I don't want to.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #309
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchEire View Post
Ummm, torrents?
Excuse my ignorance here but what is Torrents?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #310
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

A way of downloading software.

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance here but what is Torrents?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #311
Daktari

Quote:
Unless you have some keen interest in blowing up your pictures to a massive level, 5 megapixels is plenty. Keep in mind that you are comparing apples and oranges when talking about digital versus film. Digital is based on interpolation and is a very different medium than film. Even top of the line digital prints are not acceptable by National Geographic, who continues to only accept film-based images.

I'm not comparing apples with oranges. I'm not comparing digital to film in any way. I'm talking megapixels and digital only. My Nikon D100 is only 6MP...I've had large prints from it. Ex.Mrs.I is a fine art medium format photographer so I sorta 'get' the difference about how they look when compared

Quote:
Ummm, torrents?
Isn't that illegal?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #312
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
A way of downloading software.
Well my fear is that I will become less concerned about taking a good pic, which is an adrenaline rush for me and not interested in spending more time editing photos than I do taking them.

My other issue is that it's so expensive.

So how do you use Torrents?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #313
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

I used to edit and it drove me nuts. I chose instead to become more adept at taking a good shot, the first time, using natural light.

You would download a program like utorrent and then locate a photoshop torrent file and let it run. TECHNICALLY, torrents are not illegal, although it is a grey area. Unlike direct full file download, torrents are packets of information that are extracted from hundreds of individual sources and put back together into a single program.

Quote:
Well my fear is that I will become less concerned about taking a good pic, which is an adrenaline rush for me and not interested in spending more time editing photos than I do taking them.

My other issue is that it's so expensive.

So how do you use Torrents?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #314
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:

I'm not comparing apples with oranges. I'm not comparing digital to film in any way. I'm talking megapixels and digital only. My Nikon D100 is only 6MP...I've had large prints from it. Ex.Mrs.I is a fine art medium format photographer so I sorta 'get' the difference about how they look when compared

HUGE difference, isn't it?

Isn't that illegal?
Um, not as such, no.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #315
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
I used to edit and it drove me nuts. I chose instead to become more adept at taking a good shot, the first time, using natural light.

You would download a program like utorrent and then locate a photoshop torrent file and let it run. TECHNICALLY, torrents are not illegal, although it is a grey area. Unlike direct full file download, torrents are packets of information that are extracted from hundreds of individual sources and put back together into a single program.

I have Frostwire, I've seen the Torrent option, but had no idea what it was for.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #316
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Torrents are really only useful if you have a high-speed internet connection and have a lot of time to leave the PC running (a day at the most). Another option is dhgate.

Quote:

I have Frostwire, I've seen the Torrent option, but had no idea what it was for.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #317
Daktari

Quote:

iPhoto is pretty good nowadays Dee, especially for those that like to keep their photo editing actions fairly simple (like me). I like it handles RAW files now. I've heard good reports of Aperture
http://www.apple.com/aperture/
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #318
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Torrents are really only useful if you have a high-speed internet connection and have a lot of time to leave the PC running (a day at the most). Another option is dhgate.
Yes I do, and I will check that out, thank you.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #319
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
iPhoto is pretty good nowadays Dee, especially for those that like to keep their photo editing actions fairly simple (like me). I like it handles RAW files now. I've heard good reports of Aperture
http://www.apple.com/aperture/
I have Aperture, I paid a fortune for it and I hate it.

Picasa is a GREAT and free simple program that I use to resize and do color corrections on. I may just want to leave it at that. I love using it to import and organize my pics, I have about 10,000 on my mac and twice that on external hard drives....

I will check iphoto out. I am lazy and should have done that by now.

dee
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #320
Daktari

Quote:
Um, not as such, no.
I do believe downloading copyrighted material is actually illegal.