Old 05-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation
Default Dykes And Lesbians To Watch Out For

OK if you get the reference you're in. Here is a space to talk about being a dyke and/or lesbian or just show your support. Allies are most welcome.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

Hey there Bulldog, thanks for starting this thread. I am a Lesbian, always have been, I am also Butch. I support all those who are.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hmm....

I peeked in because I thought I'd find myself on a Top Ten Most Wanted list.

Metro
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Ohhh... I love being a Dyke. Love it. I love the strength of the word and the sound of the word as it leaves my lips.

My GF does not like the word and does not refer to herself as such. It has been used as a derogatory term towards her (from others). But she is getting used to it and will even playfully use it when we tease each other.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
TenderKnight

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Poly Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

TenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST Reputation

OK, I'll bite.. who should I be looking out for, and is she in my closet now??

lol.. I am here to show support..

I admit that I am one of those guys that makes clear online that "im not a lesbian".. Although, the lesbian community was where I came out and started the process of finding out who I am. I don't identify with being a lesbian now, but I *try* not to diss lesbians either.. (has been guilty of making generalizations about lesbians).

I admire those that stand up and are counted.. I get to melt into the hetro crowd sometimes, most (most being a genralization, but again, let's run with it..), most lesbians can't vanish, they are in the fore front when they are out and about.. Two lesbians holding hands is pretty odvious.. Not to mention Butch lesbians.. Can't mistake a big ole dagger

I guess my point is that I once ID'd as lesbian, and even if it isn't who I am now, I will try to remember that being a lesbian is part of my story too..

-Tony
Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

On the term Dyke, I actually don't care for it because in my many years of being Lesbian, it was always used as a derogatory term(meaning they said I wanted to be a Man, when I didn't and don't) by others towards me; so I don't use that terminology in reference to others or myself. I strongly will use the term Lesbian in reference to myself, it just has more meaning for me than Dyke does. Over the years, I have learned to tolerate the term Dyke, as it comes up in discussions. I just let it go. No harm, no foul, ya know.
I sure hope this thread takes off, I wanna see where it ends up heading.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Emmy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Emmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST Reputation

Well, I love Alison Bechdel, that's for sure! She's so nerdy and smart and adorable. When I was first realizing I wasn't straight, I would sit at the library for hours on end reading her Dykes to Watch out For series. It made me feel a bit more connected, less lonely.

I suppose I'm not, myself, a lesbian -when I'm honest with myself, I know I could have feelings for someone of any sex or gender- but I have much appreciation, respect and gratitude for everything my lesbian sisters have done and continue to do on behalf of the whole community. <3
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emmy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

<--- Lesbian and proud of it.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the word dyke either but I'm learning to tolerate it.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

I like being a dyke... a Big Ol' Damn Dyke.

Lesbian yep... but I'd be more likely to relate with and say "I'm a dyke". Mostly because where I come from it's used to describe "tough-ish" or more "aggressive" leather or jean and boot style lesbians and butches. I don't want to put my foot in my mouth so I totally acknowledge some don't use or see it that way at all.

I understand some's discomfort with the word too. One of my best friends is a couple generations ahead of me and she doesn't like "queer", because she was of time before it was re-claimed.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,533 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Lesbian, dyke, and feminist to boot.
Or as Hothead would say: Feh! Muh! Nist!
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks everyone for posting. Hopefully those that don't care for the word dyke are not put off by it being here. Personally I like both dyke and lesbian. Dyke does have a certain defiance and toughness to it that I like. It's also been a term that has been shouted at me in a very derogatory and sometimes threatening way, so I definitely get both points of view.

Emmy, yeah I love the cartoon too, plus I was in search of a catchy title.

Metro, maybe we can start our own Most Wanted Loud Mouth Dykes And Lesbians To Watch Out For On BPF list! Ha!

Tony, thanks so much for stopping in. I know everyone feels differently, but it does mean a lot to me when trans guys who have been a part of lesbian/queer communities honor that as part of their past and present where it is applicable. The other day one of my trans guy friends on Facebook was reminiscing about good ole fashioned feminist dyke music from 30 years ago. It made me smile big.

Thanks everyone. Keep the great thoughts coming.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,089 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

Yep, Yep... a femme lesbian here
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PinkieLee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis View Post
I like being a dyke... a Big Ol' Damn Dyke.
*raising hand* My name is Christie and I am a Big Ol' Damn Dyke too. My exmotherinlaw once referred to me as a GD dyke. I smiled and said thank you.

Dyke, Lesbian. Both fit me rather well and I take immense pride in both along with woman, female, girl.

Glad to see the thread!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

Shit! Dykes and Lesbians to watch out for? I thought maybe they were running out into the streets or someone was throwing out in traffic. It's all good
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrSunshine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation
Default Dyke Dyke Dyke Dyke

The word itself doesn't bother me - it does when non-homosexuals use it though. On a personal level, I'm trying to learn to embrace the word. Where and when I grew up, using it was not a positive thing - however, every now and then you may catch me using it as a descriptor.

Dyke *cringe*
Dyke *cringe*

*sigh*

DYKE *cringe not so much*

See? I'm getting better at it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Lucy, Im hoooooooome!

Bulldog, Im proud of you. I'd kiss you but that would be weird....lol.

Omg I cannot believe how I felt my soul soar when I saw how many proud women.lesbians.dykes there are here proudly proclaiming themselves.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Kiss her! Kiss her!

(Cause I'm freaky like that)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,330 Times in 2,661 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

My Pete looks a little like Mo.

Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
Kiss her! Kiss her!

(Cause I'm freaky like that)

LOL. You weirdo.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
The word itself doesn't bother me - it does when non-homosexuals use it though. On a personal level, I'm trying to learn to embrace the word. Where and when I grew up, using it was not a positive thing - however, every now and then you may catch me using it as a descriptor.

Dyke *cringe*
Dyke *cringe*

*sigh*

DYKE *cringe not so much*

See? I'm getting better at it.
You work on that and then after a while I'll... um, Bulldog will call you a dyke and see how you react....

Metro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post: