Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Talking Reclaiming Lesbian Pride

With the interest sparked by the discussion in the leaping thread, I was wondering whether it might be worth starting a thread on reclaiming lesbian pride - sans all the qualifiers.

It feels kind of good, reaffirming, empowering to just talk about being a lesbian and seeing the word being used more freely.

Was also interesting to see talk about the history of the lesbian feminist movement. So much history I have forgotten about. I miss talking about it.

Any one have any thoughts, feelings, ideas, news that might fit well here?
Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I'll be back in the morning, after some coffee...but, yes...

There is just one life for each of us: our own.
~Euripides

I see being a lesbian as one small facet of the complex person that I am...and that living my own life, as my authentic self, undefined by others...is immense.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,672 Times in 7,710 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

hey all...just a plain ole lesbian who is "butch"...and am so confused, but respectful, with all the terms...why can't I just be recognized as a woman loving woman...without all the "designer labels"...what is wrong with that? Whatever we may "identify" as in the confines of closed doors is between the two of us! That is my story and I am sticking to it! I am not here to "argue" or "derail" or anything except be recognized as a plain ole lesbian! PROUD lesbian! Thanks, Kobi!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybabytwo View Post
hey all...just a plain ole lesbian who is "butch"...and am so confused, but respectful, with all the terms...why can't I just be recognized as a woman loving woman...without all the "designer labels"...what is wrong with that? Whatever we may "identify" as in the confines of closed doors is between the two of us! That is my story and I am sticking to it! I am not here to "argue" or "derail" or anything except be recognized as a plain ole lesbian! PROUD lesbian! Thanks, Kobi!
Welcome clay! The labels can be a little confusing for sure. I'm still trying to figure out what a FIB is.

Plain ole proud lesbian works for me!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,672 Times in 7,710 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Tanks, Kobi!
Let me know if ya find out that meaning...lol...have a great day...Clay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
Welcome clay! The labels can be a little confusing for sure. I'm still trying to figure out what a FIB is.

Plain ole proud lesbian works for me!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,560 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

FIB=female identified butch
Old 07-31-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
FIB=female identified butch

Thanks for the info LOL. In my isolated, antiquated everyday world, all the butches are female identified. Hence using such a term or acronym would be redundant.

I feel like such a dinosaur some days.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb

FIB is a term I only seen when joining online communities FIB equated to woman identified butch... There seemed to be a need to separate them from MIB (male identified butch). What I mean by separation is online there seemed to be this need to distinct one from the other. I had a hard time learning the verbiage since where I came from or grew where butch equated woman period.

I think the internets introduced us to many gender, label, identity forums discussions and threads such as this. It's a hard road when dealing with all the new verbiage out there and yes sometimes it feels we (women) are continuously put in the back burner. I think threads like this and the discussions being had will not let that happen
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

I always read it as FBI.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
FIB is a term I only seen when joining online communities FIB equated to woman identified butch... There seemed to be a need to separate them from MIB (male identified butch). What I mean by separation is online there seemed to be this need to distinct one from the other. I had a hard time learning the verbiage since where I came from or grew where butch equated woman period.

I think the internets introduced us to many gender, label, identity forums discussions and threads such as this. It's a hard road when dealing with all the new verbiage out there and yes sometimes it feels we (women) are continuously put in the back burner. I think threads like this and the discussions being had will not let that happen

Welcome Snow!

Your thoughts are much appreciated. The words, phrases, acronyms and such used in communities on the internet is truly a learning experience.

Sometimes, I wish there was a reference page here that listed them all and their definitions. It would help me not feel like I am reading a foreign language LOL.

And, if we had a reference sheet I wouldn't think MIB is referring to the movie Men In Black. Dinosaur I tell ya.

I wont even tell ya what I thought FIB meant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
msW8ing

How Do You Identify?:
multi-faceted gem, femme, submissive babygirl if the chemistry is there.
Preferred Pronoun?:
lady
Relationship Status:
working on myself

Thanked 2,498 Times in 655 Posts
msW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST Reputation

First..awesome thread idea..It doesn't matter how hard I try..I cannot keep up with all the different ID's now and days..I guess because I treat everyone as individuals but always respect thier choices..I admire some for thier convictions and not backing down. Personally I prefer to call myself a lesbian because for myself putting a lable on me is like trying to describe myself in one little box..it just can't be done..I'm ever evolving and learning and growing and changing. But the one thing I"m sure of..I have always been attracted to butch/masculine women..reminded of a conversation I had with my daughter not too long ago. She was asking what my "type" was..I thought for a moment and said well it's kinda like this...I prefer them like my bread...hard and crusty on the outside but soft and warm on the inside. She laughed hysterically of course and said lets go get some lunch. But it's true. I adore a hard looking butch/masculine woman who is a soft, gooshy, romantic on the inside. Just my .02 cents.

A lady who knows the ropes..will never be bound. ~Mae West
msW8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to msW8ing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
OS Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch-BLW
Preferred Pronoun?:
Default-She
Relationship Status:
Closed

Thanked 1,378 Times in 461 Posts
OS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST Reputation

I always gravitate to the threads that are in the Lesbian Zone.
It always stuck me as odd when people wonder why there is a need for this or that kind of thread.
Coming out 35 years ago, I didn't then and still don't mind the term Lesbian. It actually is my preference in terms referring to myself....I tack on Butch and have in the past used WI (Woman Identified) and joke that it did not mean Wisconsin . FIB..... hmmm.. I assume there is a difference in being female identified and woman identified.... I really don't care. I am a Butch Lesbian.. or is it Lesbian Butch? WTH...

Hi, I am Joan, aka Jo, much easier I am the person to whom you are speaking.
OS Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OS Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsW8ing View Post
First..awesome thread idea..It doesn't matter how hard I try..I cannot keep up with all the different ID's now and days..I guess because I treat everyone as individuals but always respect thier choices..I admire some for thier convictions and not backing down. Personally I prefer to call myself a lesbian because for myself putting a lable on me is like trying to describe myself in one little box..it just can't be done..I'm ever evolving and learning and growing and changing. But the one thing I"m sure of..I have always been attracted to butch/masculine women..reminded of a conversation I had with my daughter not too long ago. She was asking what my "type" was..I thought for a moment and said well it's kinda like this...I prefer them like my bread...hard and crusty on the outside but soft and warm on the inside. She laughed hysterically of course and said lets go get some lunch. But it's true. I adore a hard looking butch/masculine woman who is a soft, gooshy, romantic on the inside. Just my .02 cents.

Welcome MsW. And thank you for introducing us to Butch Bread. I will have to see if the bakery carries any LOL.

Is it possible FIB might mean female in bread? Or do I, perhaps, just need sleep?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
msW8ing

How Do You Identify?:
multi-faceted gem, femme, submissive babygirl if the chemistry is there.
Preferred Pronoun?:
lady
Relationship Status:
working on myself

Thanked 2,498 Times in 655 Posts
msW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Welcome MsW. And thank you for introducing us to Butch Bread. I will have to see if the bakery carries any LOL.

Is it possible FIB might mean female in bread? Or do I, perhaps, just need sleep?

Oh my dear Kobi, how you make me laugh..I so needed that this Sunday morning. I adore your humor.

A lady who knows the ropes..will never be bound. ~Mae West
msW8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msW8ing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS Butch View Post
It always stuck me as odd when people wonder why there is a need for this or that kind of thread.
Coming out 35 years ago, I didn't then and still don't mind the term Lesbian. It actually is my preference in terms referring to myself....I tack on Butch and have in the past used WI (Woman Identified) and joke that it did not mean Wisconsin . FIB..... hmmm.. I assume there is a difference in being female identified and woman identified.... I really don't care. I am a Butch Lesbian.. or is it Lesbian Butch? WTH...

Hi, I am Joan, aka Jo, much easier I am the person to whom you are speaking.
Welcome Jo! I hear you. It struck me odd as well.

Then again, we all had different experiences, opportunities, and needs in developing our own unique "queerness". These are reflected in so many different ways in our lives and identities these days.

The complexities to which I am exposed to via the internet never cease to amaze and confuse me. I like simple. Then again, my definition of simple may not be the same as someone else's.

I have always been comfortable with lesbian. It seems the more accurate description of my reality and experience. I have tried adding qualifiers to it but they just don't feel right/accurate and they can feel very confining to me. Using lesbian, to me, gives me more freedom to express who I am without being locked into anything or pigeonholed into anything. It's liberating.

Thank you for bringing up WI (not Wisconsin). I dont know if there is a difference between WI and FI - I'm pretty sure someone knows but it sure as heck isn't me. LOL.

I'd like to see more activity in the lesbian zone. I'm just not sure what direction it should/could go in. Have any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsW8ing View Post
Oh my dear Kobi, how you make me laugh..I so needed that this Sunday morning. I adore your humor.

MsW, I want you to know, I stopped by the bakery section of the market on my way home today. I asked the cute little dyke behind the counter where I could find the Butch bread with the hard crust and soft, squishy insides.

She wasnt a dyke. She did not find Butch bread to be amusing. And, I think, I now have a reputation for being the crazy lady with early Alzheimers.

I really should check my files and see if the recall notice for my gaydar is still active.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS Butch View Post
Coming out 35 years ago, I didn't then and still don't mind the term Lesbian. It actually is my preference in terms referring to myself....I tack on Butch and have in the past used WI (Woman Identified) and joke that it did not mean Wisconsin . FIB..... hmmm.. I assume there is a difference in being female identified and woman identified.... I really don't care. I am a Butch Lesbian.. or is it Lesbian Butch? WTH...Hi, I am Joan, aka Jo, much easier I am the person to whom you are speaking.
Quote:
Welcome Jo! I hear you. It struck me odd as well.

Then again, we all had different experiences, opportunities, and needs in developing our own unique "queerness". These are reflected in so many different ways in our lives and identities these days.

The complexities to which I am exposed to via the internet never cease to amaze and confuse me. I like simple. Then again, my definition of simple may not be the same as someone else's.

I have always been comfortable with lesbian. It seems the more accurate description of my reality and experience. I have tried adding qualifiers to it but they just don't feel right/accurate and they can feel very confining to me. Using lesbian, to me, gives me more freedom to express who I am without being locked into anything or pigeonholed into anything. It's liberating.

Thank you for bringing up WI (not Wisconsin). I dont know if there is a difference between WI and FI - I'm pretty sure someone knows but it sure as heck isn't me. LOL.I'd like to see more activity in the lesbian zone. I'm just not sure what direction it should/could go in. Have any suggestions?
Some people regard the term female = sex and woman = gender.

There are definitely butches who define as female, but not as women. I defined that way for many years and know quite a many butch who still does. Here the term woman is seen as being connected to a social construct, rather than it being connected to one's biology.

(Hope you were actually asking the question?)

Are you educated or indoctrinated?

Last edited by DapperButch; 07-31-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: had to fix
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

SRSLY? Those are known, culturally-shared distinctions? Isn't it awfully easy for people not versed in it to screw it up?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
SRSLY? Those are known, culturally-shared distinctions? Isn't it awfully easy for people not versed in it to screw it up?
Hey, tapu. Yes, and yes! :-) Identifiers are like that.

I am going to step out of the lesbian zone. I am not looking to have a discussion on this, I was only looking to answer the question, as I think that Kobi was sincerely curious.

Have a good day.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Well... there's a real difference between the kind of identifiers you are listing and the set of widely used identifiers of gender and sex in our culture.

If this isn't the place to go into it, though, I'm fine with that.

Thanks DB.

ER... Wait a minute. You seem to have edited your original post on this. I've been responding to the original, where you listed more configurations of gender/sex identifiers.