Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Mrs Arcstriker
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she...female ones...
Relationship Status:
married to Arcstriker

Mrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST Reputation
Default Home Gym Equipment...

Right now we own the MOTHER of all Bowflex machines (this thing is HUGE!) and we also own the Total Gym (think Chuck Norris infomercial...) Both have been really great, but they lack a serious aerobic component. So...We just ordered the BowFlex treadclimber...(the middle grade one that retails for a bit over 2K...) Does anybody have one? Do you like/hate it? Why?

Any other recommendations for home gym equipment that I don't have yet? I am pretty excited about the treadclimber and I hope that it doesn't suck. I really want to quit my gym membership because quite frankly I am always at work when they are open and I am wasting money each month.

What are the home-gym purchases that you still use, and what do you recommend? I don't care if it is just a great workout DVD...Suggestions?
Mrs Arcstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:
engaged to my fiancee Amanda

stephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

For cardio-Get a punching bag. I use the big heavy one, because I'm looking for power, not speed.
stephfromMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Mrs Arcstriker
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to Arcstriker

Mrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST Reputation

I wish we could, but no good place to put one. Our basement is pretty damp and air quality is poor. Upstairs we are pushing it that our living room is already overtaken.

Can you really get a strong cardio workout from a punching bag though? I had no idea.

My only other roadblock to the punching bag (though I love the idea of punching stuff!) is that I have long nails (and would surely die without them...) can you use a punching bag with gel nails?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:

stephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I work up a good sweat on the heavy bag. The little round bags, are better for cardio. I don't have nails, so I'm the wrong person to ask, but I doubt it.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Mrs Arcstriker
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to Arcstriker

I prefer long, extended cardio workouts with little emphasis on muscle-building. 5 years ago I was heavily into body building but didn't like the look of my body, despite the fact that I was in my best shape ever.

I've been away from working out for ages now and am squishy and chubby in all the wrong places so my goal is more towards losing fat and gaining very lean muscle without bulk. Can you get that from a punching bag routine?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:

Smile

The "speed" bag is good for long sessions. (speed bag is the little round ball)
The Following User Says Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Arcstriker View Post
Right now we own the MOTHER of all Bowflex machines (this thing is HUGE!) and we also own the Total Gym (think Chuck Norris infomercial...) Both have been really great, but they lack a serious aerobic component. So...We just ordered the BowFlex treadclimber...(the middle grade one that retails for a bit over 2K...) Does anybody have one? Do you like/hate it? Why?

Any other recommendations for home gym equipment that I don't have yet? I am pretty excited about the treadclimber and I hope that it doesn't suck. I really want to quit my gym membership because quite frankly I am always at work when they are open and I am wasting money each month.

What are the home-gym purchases that you still use, and what do you recommend? I don't care if it is just a great workout DVD...Suggestions?
I would love to hear how the treadclimber works out for you. I wanted to get one, but the cost was more than I was willing to pay. Do you not like ellipicals? With those your arms are getting somewhat of a workout as well (unlike the treadclimber).

I have the Bow Flex also and used to use it, but haven't now in years. When I did use it, it was infrequently because I still preferred free weights.

I know I should sell it at this point because it is just taking up a lot of space in an already small house and I doubt I will ever get back into using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Arcstriker View Post
I prefer long, extended cardio workouts with little emphasis on muscle-building. 5 years ago I was heavily into body building but didn't like the look of my body, despite the fact that I was in my best shape ever.

I've been away from working out for ages now and am squishy and chubby in all the wrong places so my goal is more towards losing fat and gaining very lean muscle without bulk. Can you get that from a punching bag routine?
I doubt that would be the quickest way to your goal, and really doubt it would get you where you want to go, anyway.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

I just started a 3 month challenge...I'll see how it goes before I recommend it...lol

Top cardio machines are elliptical & rower...but running & biking are always great low cost.

As far as videos P90x will kick butt unless ur in fairly good shape already...but results are amazing

*tip hat*
Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Tony

How Do You Identify?:
All Man (FTM if I must have a label)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:
She's my Southern Comfort

Thanked 1,241 Times in 326 Posts
Tony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

I've had Total Gym for years, Bow Flex for 2. Also use resistance bands & free weights. I walk (briskly) 4+ miles in under or as close to an hour as my smoke filled lungs will allow. Lol. That's my cardio. But even with the extensive workouts, I have found, for me, the eating habits I changed & adopted have had the most positive results.
Just got PX90 & am ready to give it a try. If you never hear from me again, you'll know it didn't go as well as the infomercial. Lol