Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Lesbian Zone

Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
Happy_Go_Lucky

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Butch who desires femme company.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Handsome devil you.

Thanked 3,359 Times in 626 Posts
Happy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST Reputation
Default To Kobi re: lesbian tennis players

Yes Kobi, the aforementioned tennis players are out and proud lesbians. They are successful with superior talents all.

Here are some links to introduce a few of them to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Stosur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9lie_Mauresmo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rennae_Stubbs
Happy_Go_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy_Go_Lucky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #22
Happy_Go_Lucky

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Handsome devil you.

Happy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST Reputation
Default RE: Vanity Fair

Regarding Vanity Fair's article Megan Ellison.

In the space of a year, the young Ellison has become the most talked-about independent financier in Hollywood. Pretty but a bit overweight, with hunched shoulders, she has a slacker vibe. She drives a gray ’89 Aston Martin or rides one of her motorcycles, often has a Camel cigarette in hand, and rarely wears makeup. Partial to butch, grunge chic, she usually wears a uniform of army boots, denim jeans, and a hoodie pulled over the T-shirt of an old-school rock band, like Led Zeppelin or AC/DC. She can come across as well read and shy, but then might say something strangely blunt and uncomfortable and laugh at it. She talks extremely fast, especially when trying to make a point, with her words getting caught up in one another, or slowly and deliberately, especially when she’s upset. “Megan reminds me a little of John Grady Cole,” says director Andrew Dominik, referring to the 16-year-old cowboy who rides into Mexico in Cormac McCarthy’s All the Pretty Horses. “She is not going to argue with you, but she’s going to do what she wants.”

Look at this very poorly written article! Vanity Fair must hire misogynistic nincompoops with only a modicum of journalistic talent.

Is it necessary to discuss her physical appearance in such a disdainful manner?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Happy_Go_Lucky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #23
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Go_Lucky View Post
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]Regarding Vanity Fair's article Megan Ellison.

Look at this very poorly written article! Vanity Fair must hire misogynistic nincompoops with only a modicum of journalistic talent.

Is it necessary to discuss her physical appearance in such a disdainful manner?

The author couldn't attack her accomplishments or success, so she resorted to attacking her as a woman. The not so hidden message is Ellison is not a woman who represents what females and males have been taught a woman is supposed to look like and dress like.

It was an attempt to undermine her success by pointing out she is "less than" as a woman.

And, seeing it was a female author, that is an example of internalized misogyny and sexism.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #24
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Happy Birthday Pat Parker

Pat Parker was born on this day in 1944 (to June 19, 1989) She was an influential African-American lesbian and feminist poet and activist.

Given the name Patricia Cooks at birth, Pat Parker was born in Houston, Texas, the youngest of four daughters in a Black working class family. Her mother, Marie Louise Cooks, was a domestic worker, and her father, Ernest Nathaniel Cooks supported the family by re-treading tires.

Urged by her father to take "the freedom train of education," Parker left home at seventeen and moved to Los Angeles, California, earning her undergraduate degree at Los Angeles City College, and followed that with a graduate degree at San Francisco State College. She married playwright Ed Bullins in 1962, but they separated after four years. Pat Parker settled in Oakland, California, in the early 1970s to pursue work, writing and opportunities for activism. She married a second time, to Berkeley, California writer Robert F. Parker, but decided that the "idea of marriage... wasn't working" for her.

Pat Parker began her service as the medical coordinator at the Oakland Feminist Women's Health Center, which grew from one clinic to six sites during her tenure from 1978 to 1987. Pat Parker also participated in political activism ranging from early involvement with the Black Panther Party and Black Women's Revolutionary Council to formation of the Women's Press Collective. She was involved in wide-ranging activism in gay and lesbian organizations and held positions of national leadership regarding women's health issues, especially concerning domestic and sexual violence. In 1979 she toured with the “Varied Voices of Black Women”, a group of poets and musicians which included Linda Tillery, Mary Watkins & Gwen Avery.

Parker gave her first public reading of her poetry in 1963 while married to playwright Ed Bullins. The challenge of "competing in a male poetry scene" as the wife of a writer, Parker notes, helped develop not only her voice but also her willingness to write about contemporary issues -- about civil rights and Vietnam as well as an emerging African-American lesbian feminist perspective on love and lust. Reading before women's groups beginning in 1968 brought Parker notice and satisfaction, especially as she joined Judy Grahn, a white working class Bay Area poet, to read lesbian poetry in public, arranging readings not only at women's bookstores, but also intermixing poetry with musical performances at local women's bars, coffeehouses and festivals.

Pat Parker and Audre Lorde first met in 1969 and became close friends. They continued to exchange letters and visits for twenty years, until Parker's death in 1989.

The ‘Goat Child’ of “Child of Myself,” Parker's first collection, chafes at the confinement and conformity she's expected to learn in marriage, and then tentatively comes out as a lesbian via several love poems to women. Often a bold speaker, the poet opens “Pit Stop,” a 1974 publication, with the line "My lover is a woman" in a poem that addresses interracial relationships. She also offers readers the sweet "I Kumquat You" and strident "Bitch! / I want to scream" in love poems that line up before the collection's long title poem addressing alcoholism: "a pit is a coward's suicide / a hearty drink to anything. " Pit Stop is also infused with dreams, "not [just] Martin's" or Malcolm's or those of political allies, but "a simple dream" that juxtaposes the dreams of human/racial equality with gay liberation: "In my dream - / I can walk the streets / holding hands with my lover" without fear of retaliation or disdain.

From all these stages of her life, Parker developed a narrative poetry, often taking on a call and response form recognizable in black oral traditions, and speaking of generations of women and men engaged in human rights battles. Parker's poetry generally escapes didacticism because of her deft use of humor, insistence on frank language, presentations of events long silent, and sharp analysis of injustices. The goal, Parker said is to "try to put the poetry in the language that we speak, to use that language, take those simple works and make out of them something that is moving, that is powerful, that is there."

Parker's five collections of poetry take their central images and process of self-creation as well as political analysis from autobiographical moments in Parker's life and from publicized incidents or community discussions related to race, class, gender, sexuality. The Firebrand Books' edition of “Movement in Black” - with its title poem and a collection of poems from three earlier Parker collections - is the only work by Parker that remains consistently in print. A well-crafted compilation, “Movement in Black“ reflects key patterns in Parker's work: "It is the moment of her creative impulse to communicate: the love, the anger, the fear, that powerful sense of justice (and injustice) the cynicism, the humor that she gives us," noted critic Cheryl Clarke notes in a review of this collection.

Pat Parker wrote "Womanslaughter" after the murder of her sister by her husband and places the reader alongside Parker as the poet's older sister is murdered and the sister's soon-to-be ex-husband is put on trial. Convicted not of murder but of "womanslaughter" because "Men cannot kill their wives. / They passion them to death. " For this murder in Texas, Parker’s former brother-in-law served one year in a work-release program; three years after this murder in Texas, Parker vows "I will come to my sisters / not dutiful, / I will come strong. " Parker brought this crime to the International Tribunal on Crimes against Women in 1976 in Brussels.

Finally, “Jonestown and Other Madness”, considers what isn't - what love isn't, what liberation isn't, what justice isn't; and what is - love and alliances, family legacies and strength. This last collection was published before Parker's death in 1989 from breast cancer, and ends both with a desire for more time to write and a legacy to her daughters. At her death, Pat Parker was survived by her long-time partner Marty Dunham and two daughters, Cassidy Brown and Anastasia Dunham Parker. In "Maybe I Should Have Been a Teacher," Parker chronicles her struggles, and writes:

“Take the strength that you may wage a long battle.
Take the pride that you can never stand small.
Take the rage that you can never settle for less.”

The Pat Parker/Vito Russo Center Library at New Yorks LGBT Community Center was named in honor of Parker and fellow writer, Vito Russo. The Pat Parker Poetry Award is awarded each year for a free verse, narrative poem or dramatic monologue by a black lesbian poet.

We remember Pat Parker on this day in celebration of the 70th anniversary of her birth, and in deep appreciation for her thoughtful poetry, her feminist advocacy, and her many contributions to our community.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #25
Happy_Go_Lucky

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Handsome devil you.

Default Cheers!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/the-...yes-they-exist

Nightclubs, bars for lesbians is a dying breed. I use to party in Key West a few times a year, there was this amazing place that catered to (us). Well...this place has reinvented itself to allow het couples, men couples..... So, now what? You will not catch me staying there. My money and I will go elsewhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy_Go_Lucky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default New Internet show Old Black Dykes

Teaser for new internet show Old Black Dyke, starring Gaye Adegbalola. The show premiers February 24th at 9pm EST on Stageit.com. OBD will air every 4th Monday of the month.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #27
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Bristol Barman Rapes Drunk Lesbian, Gets 9 Years in Prison

******TRIGGER ALERT******

U.K. man was sentenced to nine years in prison for raping a lesbian in a Bristol bar where he worked. According to an article in Gay Star News, 30-year-old Charles Franklin claimed that he met the woman on the street and invited her into his bar to charge her phone when "one thing led to another."

The woman, who had left a wedding at 1 a.m., said she was drunk and did not remember leaving the wedding. She said that she woke up to find Franklin raping her on the floor of The Somerset House pub in Clifton.

The woman, whose name has not been released for legal reasons, told British newspaper the Daily Mail that she had three times the legal driving limit of alcohol in her system.

"The next thing I remember was being on the floor of this pub with a guy," she told the Daily Mail. "He stripped me. He was trying to force himself on me. I was struggling quite a lot. He told me if I kept struggling he would break my neck, so I let him do what he wanted."

The woman said that after the attack Franklin sat at the bar and watched TV while she lay naked on the floor. She said she then managed to find her coat and pretend to be sleeping. She said Franklin brought her upstairs and tried, but failed, to have sex with her again.

When he fell asleep, the woman put on his jeans and T-shirt before climbing out a window to escape. She borrowed a mobile phone from a kebab stand and called her mother, who came to pick her up.

Prosecutor Tara Wolfe said, "The attack had devastating consequences on the victim’s life. She was forced to take medication after the attack and as a result she was unable to pursue her career for 12 weeks."

Mitigator Edward Burgess said that, "Mr. Franklin is a man of good character, as you heard from several witnesses in the trial."

Franklin pled not guilty, but Gay Star News reports that sentencing Judge Michael Roach sentenced him to nine years in prison, and that he must sign the Sex Offenders’ Register, but also added that, "The sentence I am about to hand you should be in double figures, but your good character has reduced it to just under that."

http://www.edgeboston.com/news/inter...ears_in_prison

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um the man is found guilty of rape and gets a reduced sentence for "good character"? Kind of makes you wonder what the judge considers "bad character".

Old 01-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #28
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Did you read the article? She's lost tens of millions of dollars, which she can well afford, but that's her record. She is 27, has one year of college and seems to spend her much of her time hanging out with movies stars. Fine. Good choice. Better than drug addiction or living a Kim Kardashian style life. Some kind of lesbian role model? Well, not for me.

I am really lost as to why you would have such an opinion of this particular woman. I also don't understand what makes you not think she is a good role model for lesbians and women. Are you saying lesbians and therefore women must have a certain level of education, certain friends and certain jobs in order to be considered successful and proper role models?

I think she is a great role model for women and lesbians. Why?

1. She is a female and a lesbian. Period.
2. She is a female and lesbian in the predominately male financial field.
3. Her movies are successful. Per firegal, 35 oscar nominations for her films. Of those 35, 17 were films she financed. She is 27. I am impressed.
4. She has grossed profits from those movies which well exceed losses. Even Ron Howard has made some clunker films.

And the biggest reason of all, seeing you are concerned about poverty and such?

As a producer, she is a job generator in a wonderful thing called trickle down economics. She not only provides the financing for the actors, her money and ability to procure money gives jobs to writers, directors, make up artists, clothing designers, sound people, technical people, scenery people, lighting people, hairdressers......all the way down to the person to makes the coffee.

If the film is shot on location, it provides jobs and income for the local economy in the form of lodging, food, entertainment, transportation, security, even porta potties, electricity, water.

If it is shot in the studio, it supports everyone who is employed there and all the vendors who supply it.

When the film hits the theatres, it provides jobs for the theater owners, managers, ticket folks, concession folks. The concession stands provide for jobs for the vendors who provide their supplies and those who make or grow the products needed.

Sounds like a fricken good role model to me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #29
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Lesbian Toni Atkins Elected California Assembly Speaker

Wednesday, out lesbian Assembly Majority Floor Leader Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, was elected the next Speaker of the California Assembly. She is the first open lesbian to serve as speaker—and she takes over from the first openly gay man, current Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez. The Speaker of the Assembly has often been described as the second most powerful person in state politics after the governor.

Though Atkins would be the first full-time out lesbian Speaker in history, she would not be the first to bang the gavel. Westside Democrat Sheila James Kuehl—California’s first elected openly gay lawmaker—served as speaker pro tem during the 1997-1998 session, and San Diego legislative heroine Christine Kehoe was elected assembly speaker pro tem during her time in the Assembly from 2000-2004.

Prior to Atkins, two other women held the important statewide position in line for the governorship—Doris Allen held the Assembly Speakership in 1995, and Karen Bass held it from 2008-2010.

http://www.frontiersla.com/frontiers...sembly-speaker
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #30
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Heather Mizeur - Maryland

Heather Mizeur, 41, is a state legislator seeking the Democratic nomination for governor of Maryland.

If elected, Mizeur would be many firsts for Maryland: the first woman governor, the first openly gay governor, and the first same-sex married governor. She would also be the first governor elected using the state’s public-financing mechanism for statewide campaigns, an arrangement that constrains campaign spending but opens up a funding level that might otherwise have been elusive, given the well-established money-pumping machines working for her opponents.

http://m.citypaper.com/news/the-quie...UrCLJs.twitter
Old 01-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #31
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Andrea J. Ritchie

Andrea Ritchie is a Black lesbian police misconduct attorney and organizer who has engaged in extensive research, writing, litigation, organizing and advocacy on profiling, policing, and physical and sexual violence by law enforcement agents against women, girls and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people of color in over the past two decades.

She currently coordinates Streetwise & Safe (SAS), www.streetwiseandsafe.org, a leadership development initiative aimed at sharing “know your rights” information, strategies for safety and visions for change among LGBT youth of color who experience of gender, race, sexuality and poverty-based policing and criminalization.

As such, she serves on the steering committee of Communities United for Police Reform (CPR), www.changethenypd.org, a city-wide campaign to challenge discriminatory, unlawful and abusive policing practices in New York City led by grassroots community groups, legal organizations, policy advocates and researchers from all five boroughs.

She is the author of Violence Everyday: Police Brutality and Racial Profiling Against Women, Girls, and Trans People of Color and the co-author (with Joey L. Mogel and Kay Whitlock) of Queer (In)Justice. She lobbied and organized with co-contributor Meron Wondwosen and fellow law students at Howard University School of Law on behalf of Mumia throughout her law school tenure, and has had the privilege of offering pro bono legal research support to Mumia’s legal team.

Andrea is a Feminist We Love because she gives voice to members of our community who are often silenced and rendered invisible by their own families, some activists groups, and the mainstream media. Her groundbreaking work charts new territory in the literature on mass incarceration.

Interview

http://thefeministwire.com/2014/01/f...ndrea-ritchie/
Old 01-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #32
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Lesbian Moms Named to “Sexiest Rabbis of 2013″ List

Jewrotica, “a relationship and sex ed resource for the Jewish community,” has released its annual “Sexiest Rabbis” list, and two of the 10 honorees are lesbian moms.

Clearly, the authors of Jewrotica are defining “sexy” to mean more than just physical attractiveness. Rabbi Jill Hammer, Ph.D., made the list for being “an embodiment of sensuality and stimulation. Her written words and teachings stimulate the mind, body and soul, engaging one on a journey to the sacred feminine.” Hammer is also the Director of Spiritual Education at the Academy for Jewish Religion, a pluralistic rabbinical and cantorial seminary in Yonkers, New York. She and her wife Shoshana Jedwab live in Manhattan and have one daughter.

Rabbi Benay Lappe, a single mom, is founder and Rosh Yeshiva of SVARA, “a traditionally radical yeshiva dedicated to the serious study of Talmud and committed to the Queer experience.” Jewrotica notes that “A former student describes her as a ‘total bad-ass.’”

Jewrotica says their list is meant to be “exceedingly respectful” but also “fun and playful.” I mention it here because I think it’s always good to remind ourselves of our wide range of human possibilities. We can be lesbians, and parents, and people of faith, and sexy, or combinations thereof.

Other queer folks on the list (but not, to the best of my knowledge, parents) is Rabbi David Dunn Bauer, Director for Social Action Programming at Congregation Beth Simchat Torah of New York City, the largest LGBT congregation in the world (whose head rabbi, Sharon Kleinbaum, is also a lesbian mom).

I was also pleased to see that several of the not-obviously LGBT rabbis on the list (and in Jewrotica’s longer People’s Choice section) mention their commitment to LGBT inclusion and equality.

Mazel tov to all!
- See more at: http://www.mombian.com/2014/01/27/le....2HHVMvpy.dpuf
Old 01-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #33
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,264 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Further to Megan Ellison.

http://homes.yahoo.com/news/american...184606871.html

Looks very nice!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #34
Butterbean

How Do You Identify?:
----
Preferred Pronoun?:
----

Thanked 2,220 Times in 772 Posts
Butterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Frank Goldberg

Frank is missing. Here's a news clip with some details.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local...pport/4229507/
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Butterbean For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #35
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-bottom, lesbian, queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
Leather polyamorous family

Thanked 2,855 Times in 905 Posts
~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

I was going to let that go but seeing you brought it up......yes a woman's success must be tempered by the men who made it all possible.

Did you like the story about her parents marriage and how Dad managed to stay involved after the divorce? (Isn't a Dad supposed to do that?)

And, of course no story about a woman's success would be complete without bringing her bro in the picture too.

Did we leave any males figures out i.e. the dog, the gardener, her male teachers, the milkman etc.

Notice their are no female figures who helped in this process - sperm supersedes womb I guess.

Sad, we as women, are socialized to do this from birth. This, too, is an example of internalized misogyny and sexism.

Most of the world can't believe a woman is capable on her own and needs a male stepping stone. Sick

Also in the earlier post i noticed the women's comment on Megan Ellison weight and garb. It may have been easier for that woman to attack such trivial attributes instead of saying she was against gays (if that is the case).
Uh Huh Her
~baby~doll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~baby~doll~ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #36
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Disney Channel's 'Good Luck Charlie' Introduces Lesbian Couple (VIDEO)
Posted: 01/27/2014 4:30 pm EST | Updated: 01/27/2014 4:59 pm EST

The Disney Channel just introduced its first-ever lesbian couple on the series "Good Luck Charlie."

As TV Guide pointed out:

In the storyline, parents Amy and Bob Duncan (Leigh-Allyn Baker and Eric Allan Kramer) set up a playdate for preschooler Charlie (Mia Talerico) and one of her new friends. When the kid arrives, the Duncans learn that Charlie's pal has two moms. That's fine, but the potential new friendship is put to the test as one mom chats with Amy, and the other is stuck listening to Bob's dull stories.

A Disney Channel spokesperson told the publication that the episode was "developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness."

News of the planned storyline broke last year. Among those to offer her support was none other than Miley Cyrus herself.

Meanwhile, right-wing group One Million Moms (who are best known for a failed boycott against JCPenney after the retail giant hired Ellen DeGeneres as its spokesperson) condemned the episode.

"Conservative families need to urge Disney to avoid controversial topics that children are far too young to comprehend," organizers wrote at the time, according to Lez Get Real. "This is the last place a parent would expect their children to be confronted with topics that are too difficult for them to understand. Mature issues of this nature are being introduced too early and too soon, and it is extremely unnecessary."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ef=mostpopular

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default RCMP woman says she was respected as a lesbian

Alberta's first top-ranking female RCMP officer says she has always been treated with respect as a gay officer in the force.

While the RCMP have been rocked by allegations of harassment in recent months and face several lawsuits, newly appointed assistant Commissioner Marianne Ryan said she has been treated well.

She choked back tears Wednesday as she thanked her partner during a change-of-command ceremony in Edmonton.

"I think it's important to be who you are and the RCMP is a very diverse and welcoming organization. And after 32 years, I'm very proud to be in the organization because of who we are," she told reporters afterwards.

"I'm very fortunate to be able to say the RCMP has always treated me with a great deal of respect."

An RCMP spokesman said Ryan is the first openly gay officer in charge of Alberta.

Ryan told reporters that it's "nice to know" she's the first in the province.

"I'm very proud of who I am and who my partner is and I'm especially proud to be the commanding officer of Alberta," she said.

In 2012, the RCMP released an emotional video by gay and lesbian officers and civilian employees as part of a campaign to combat anti-gay bullying. Some of them talked about how they were bullied in school but said life got better as they got older.

Ryan grew up on a farm in London, Ont., and joined the force in 1982, after graduating from university. She spent 19 years working her way up the ranks in Manitoba before transferring to Vancouver.

In 2011, she became the officer in charge of criminal operations for Alberta. Last fall, she was appointed commanding officer of the province, taking over for retiring deputy commissioner Dale McGowan.

Ryan believes her new job will encourage other women to sign up. She said some women have approached her to ask about being an officer, and she's happy she can act as a marketing tool.

"If I can make it, anyone can make it," she said.

"There are many, many women in the RCMP now. When I joined, not so many. But behind me and with me there are a lot of women and there will be a lot more coming in."

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/...d-as-a-lesbian
Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #38
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,264 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Gay heiress Gigi Chao writes open letter to father over $114m husband offer

The lesbian daughter of a Hong Kong tycoon, who offered more than $US100 million ($114.29 million) to find her a male suitor, has issued a heartfelt open letter urging him to accept her sexuality.

In the letter, which starts ‘‘Dear Daddy’’, socialite Gigi Chao asked her father Cecil to treat her partner Sean Eav as ‘‘a normal, dignified human being’’ - the pair have been together for nine years and are reported to have married in 2012 in France

http://www.smh.com.au/world/gay-heir...130-hvae1.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #39
lamuymuyfem

How Do You Identify?:
old school femme, date butches and FtMs who like girls
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, la fabulosa
Relationship Status:
recalculating, recalculating

lamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputationlamuymuyfem Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gigi Chao, my s/hero

Gigi Chao, daughter of a Chinese billionaire, has been in conflict with her father since marrying her oh-so-butch partner in 2012.

He has offered any man the equivalent of $114 million if he is able to 'turn his daughter straight.'

Gigi's most recent response is an open letter to her father in which she tells him that she is not simply a 'baby machine.'

You are amazing - thanks for being willing to be so high profile (and high femme)!

La Muy Muy Fem
lamuymuyfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lamuymuyfem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #40
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Cecil Chao Withdraws Million-Dollar Offer to Suitors of Lesbian Daughter Gigi

Following the publication of an open letter from his lesbian daughter Gigi yesterday, Hong Kong billionaire Cecil Chao has withdrawn his multi-million dollar offer to any man that can successfully woo her, CNN reports:

ChaoCecil Chao, a wealthy real estate developer, made headlines around the world in 2012 when he offered 500 million Hong Kong dollars (roughly $65 million) to any man who succeeded in marrying his daughter.
$64M to marry my gay daughter

Recent reports that he was willing to double the offer put his family back in the headlines...

..."If Gigi's said that this is what she chooses, then it's all over," Cecil Chao said Thursday an interview with CNN's Monita Rajpal. He said the huge sum he had offered to potential suitors "stays in my pocket."

But the 77-year-old tycoon, who has three children but has never married, is unable to embrace his daughter's love life.

"I can't say I am happy with her choice," he said. "If this is her choice then it's for her."

And he said he wouldn't be welcoming Eav, 46, into his family, despite his daughter's plea.

http://www.towleroad.com/2014/01/cec...hter-gigi.html

Tags
lesbians, news