Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Institutionalized Racism in American Culture

I know there are several forum threads about racism in our online community, but this past week, CNN featured an article about an accepted form of racism.

CNN News Article (link embedded in title): Banking While Black.

I am a mother to my two bi-racial African-American sons, and as a biracial family, we've seen and experienced many forms of Racism, over our life times. I'm 61, my sons are in their young 30s. Two years ago, I happened to get a call from a detective out in Wisconsin, where they picked up my AA-son for trying to cash his very first check from his employer, while he was working a temporary construction job. I happened to be at my sister-in-laws house, when I got the phone call. Naturally, I put the detective on speaker phone, so my s-i-l could hear the entire conversation (I disclosed to the detective that he could be heard by family members I was visiting that day). The detective tried to make it look like my son was cashing a false check. But after supplying him with personal photos on my phone of my youngest son, so he could properly ID my son, he took me on a rabbit-hole, circular inquisition about who my son was and etc etc etc. As luck would have it, my sister-in-law weighed in on the conversation, stating that my son was a sweetheart and would never commit a criminal act such as trying to cash a forged check, which is essentially what the detective accused my son of doing, based on video surviellance and images captured from CCTV. I informed him of my credentials in a similar field of work, which took him off guard, then asked him why my son was racially profiled at the bank in a small Wisconsin town. I held my own ground. And, eventually, after learning that they wrongfully arrested my son for trying to cash his first work check so he could BUY FOOD and pay for his apt fees, they let him go, but not until I asserted that they not tarnish my son's record with their own wrong-doing.

I know the horrors of being racially profiled and the anguish it has caused my AA-sons and myself.

Banking while Black, is one of many 'Cardinal' sins committed and tolerated and accepted, without question, in our American society.

My post is a stand-alone post on this particular subject, but I also feel that this forum thread could be a place where members who have been affected by racist practices in our American culture can talk about such things.

Instructions for forum thread participation:

1) You yourself must be a person of color or the parent of children who are people of color.

2) You yourself or your children must have a direct experience in racial profiling, and victimized by racial profiling in American society. This forum thread is for that purpose only.

3) Participation by others who do not have this experience are expressly asked to not participate in this forum thread.

4) This forum thread is a place for those of us who have experienced racism in American society and who want to talk about how it has affected us personally or the lives of our loved ones (in my case, it has deeply affected my two sons and me, as their biological mother).

Finally, but not least of importance: I have placed limits of participation in this thread so it can be a safe place for those of us who have experienced this in life and not be invalidated by any other member who has NO actual experience concerning racial prejudice.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: